* * * * * 21 votes

3DS eShop Deals - 5/27: Nicalis 50% Off Sale + Atlus/Majesco/Natsume/Capcom Sales, $5 Retro City Rampage DX, & More!

3DS 3DS eShop Nintendo eShop Indies

#6091 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   427 Posts   Joined 2.3 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:38 PM

I wonder if I should jump on Gabrielle's Ghostly Groove. I would much prefer to find it at Gamestop since it would be physical and only $3, but it's not anywhere near me.

#6092 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   903 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:48 PM

Cave Story 3D is one of maybe two cart-only games I have in my collection.  I meant to buy it at launch but oh well.  I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one who felt the same way about CS3D.

I'll put 1001 Spikes back on my 3DS buy list then.  It looks crazy hard, but for the price I'll bite.  Hopefully it's a fair hard.

I guess when they decided to do a 3D version of CS, someone made the choice to spruce up the graphics, but I don't think they thought it through much. It's nice to look at along side the original I guess, but once you actually start playing, you realize rather quickly, they don't work well for this particular game.

I'm thinking about 1001, but the 3DS version is the weakest of them all, so I may wait on a PSN sale, as the Vita version is better, and I believe it's cross buy with PS4. Although I don't have one yet, it's nice to know I get an extra version if needed. Mmmmm, decisions, decisions?

#6093 EldritchOnRye  

EldritchOnRye

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:22 PM

I wonder if I should jump on Gabrielle's Ghostly Groove. I would much prefer to find it at Gamestop since it would be physical and only $3, but it's not anywhere near me.

$10 is just too much for it from what I've seen.  Seems to have it's own sort of charm but isn't a good game necessarily.  If it was $5 I would go for it but not $10.

3ds120.gif Castlevania LoS Mirror of Fate   :pc: TBD  :wiiu: TBD :vita: MotoGP 14

:xb1: Smite  :ps4: TBD  :360: TBD   :ps3: TBD

Finished Games - Recently Completed: :ps3: The Force Unleashed
EldritchOnRye.pngCinnabarSin.png

Trade List

#6094 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2133 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 12:45 AM

G.G. Wonderland is a DSIware vertical shmup. The YouTube video didn't look too bad. For $1.99, I'm in.

#6095 RollingSkull   No Decisive Evidence CAGiversary!   5487 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

RollingSkull

Posted Yesterday, 03:00 AM

Did they ever fix the 1001 spikes issue with an update? And does this have any benefits over the Vita version?

You don't have to play it on a Fuck ing Vita.

Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#6096 RollingSkull   No Decisive Evidence CAGiversary!   5487 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

RollingSkull

Posted Yesterday, 03:07 AM

I can confirm the digital Cave Story looks crisp and plays alright on 3DS. It's tough to recommend it over the Steam version which EVERYONE HAS at this point. 3DS CS is just a straight port with the extra levels but not changed graphics or alternate soundtracks on the PC version. But if you're like me and here more as a Dumbassgamer than a Cheapassgamer then certainly, buy away.

1001 Spikes failed to impress me. It has some cute bits but it just seemed completely paint by numbers indie spikes everywhere platformer. Did you lot really finish Meat Boy?

I needn't rehash my issues with MSF but free is an acceptable price for it.

G.G. Wonderland is a DSIware vertical shmup. The YouTube video didn't look too bad. For $1.99, I'm in.

I'm more shocked to see they're still bringing over G.G. games, piecemeal as they are.

G.G. and Go series are largely "you get what you pay for" and since they're all like 2 bucks, you can at least content yourself with the fact that they're better than just about every cell phone game... roughly.

Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#6097 EldritchOnRye  

EldritchOnRye

Posted Yesterday, 04:03 AM

Starting playing Ikachan before my system started flashing at me.  So far it's definitely worth the $2.50 and unsurprisingly reminds me a lot of Cave Story.

3ds120.gif Castlevania LoS Mirror of Fate   :pc: TBD  :wiiu: TBD :vita: MotoGP 14

Trade List

#6098 darpogamer   RPG Gamer4Life CAG in Training   146 Posts   Joined 0.3 Years Ago  

darpogamer

Posted Yesterday, 01:12 PM

Starting playing Ikachan before my system started flashing at me.  So far it's definitely worth the $2.50 and unsurprisingly reminds me a lot of Cave Story.

So far? :P

#6099 Mixer23   I was the Turkey! CAGiversary!   3112 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago   Has been playing Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
PS4

Posted Yesterday, 03:21 PM

So far? :P

I don't know, seemed like it took me closer to 2 hours.

But even so, I've paid over quadruple that to see a crappy movie so I'd pay $2.50 for an hour of quality gaming experience any day of the week.

The articles I read seem to conjure up these images of Capcom executives sitting in a dark room with a cauldron and cackling about how no one will be able to buy this game used.

Do you really think I could start a fast food restaurant called McDonaldz and use the golden arches as my logo and get away with it?

Mixer23.png

#6100 EldritchOnRye  

EldritchOnRye

Posted Yesterday, 03:26 PM

So far? :P

I only had about 15-20 minutes until it started flashing and there were a few deaths in there as well.

I went into it with the mindset of if it lasts an hour that's fine at $2.50 if I enjoy it which I have so far.  Better than more 40 hours games I'll never even start or be half as enjoyable.

Trade List

#6101 RollingSkull   No Decisive Evidence CAGiversary!   5487 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

RollingSkull

Posted Today, 12:14 AM

I didn't mean to sound completely down on GG/Go Series. Some of them are atrocious like the zombie shooter but they all seem to be experimental, the sorts of stuff game devs might make to learn the ropes and they are all unique in some ways. Super Hero Ogre has the sad position of being the best non-port side-scrolling beat em up on the 3DS. Its only competition is Code of Princess which is lol.

That's not an unequivocal recommendation for Ogre, it's rough, it's ugly, it's tough as nails, and just loops when you beat it but it is still a fighter I respect.

Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#6102 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2133 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted Today, 11:38 AM

I didn't mean to sound completely down on GG/Go Series. Some of them are atrocious like the zombie shooter but they all seem to be experimental, the sorts of stuff game devs might make to learn the ropes and they are all unique in some ways. Super Hero Ogre has the sad position of being the best non-port side-scrolling beat em up on the 3DS. Its only competition is Code of Princess which is lol.

That's not an unequivocal recommendation for Ogre, it's rough, it's ugly, it's tough as nails, and just loops when you beat it but it is still a fighter I respect.

Understood. New Japanese shmups aren't that easy to find these days much less ones that cost less than $2. I didn't go in expecting it to be Ikaruga or anything.