What to expect from Gaikai?

ColFantastic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
As the title says, what should we expect from PS4 and Gaikai? I'm very curious because I skipped the PS2/PS3 and this has a bearing on when I get my PS4. There are a bunch of PS exclusives I'd like to play eventually but don't want to pick up a PS3 this close to PS4 launch.

I know Sony said that Gaikai would be coming to PS4 in 2014 but I was hoping for some elaboration on the service. They process the games in the cloud and stream it to your console correct? My big question is how would one access this service on the PS4? Would I need physical copies of them to put in my disk drive to start the service for that particular game? Or would it only be for digitally purchased games?

One way I imagine it could work is if you own a subscription to PS+; any PS1, PS2, or PS3 (and maybe PSP,and Vita games too) you own digitally you could play on the PS4 for no additional cost.  That way as the PS3 user base begins to dwindle they would still have a reason to offer the older games for sale and people would feel better about making digital purchases as they would still carry over to the PS4.

One way I imagine it could work is if you own a subscription to PS+; any PS1, PS2, or PS3 (and maybe PSP,and Vita games too) you own digitally you could play on the PS4 for no additional cost. That way as the PS3 user base begins to dwindle they would still have a reason to offer the older games for sale and people would feel better about making digital purchases as they would still carry over to the PS4.
What about physical media? People will howl if they have to repurchase their physical games digitally. I realize most people will just move to next gen and not worry about it but those who do usually make the most noise.

I like your idea and hope that's what it will be. I have a PS+ subscription from my Vita and have been grabbing all the PS3 games just in case something like this comes about.

What about physical media? People will howl if they have to repurchase their physical games digitally. I realize most people will just move to next gen and not worry about it but those who do usually make the most noise.
Sony didn't buy Gaikai for $380 million, so you can stream your physical PS3 games for free... It's going to cost us to use it most likely.

I like your idea and hope that's what it will be. I have a PS+ subscription from my Vita and have been grabbing all the PS3 games just in case something like this comes about.
Nintendo and Sony have been doing this for quite a while already.

I hope they let you do something with your physical media. Even if I have to pay to buy the license for the physical games I still own, I'd do that for a bunch that are not available on PSN (TimeSplitters 1, 2 and 3).

Has there been any indication that Gaikai will only work with digital copies of games? I hope there would be a way of inserting a PS3 disk into a PS4, the PS4 reads the disk and indicates that I own that game and allow the streaming of the game. I skipped PS3 this gen and have been thinking about picking up a bunch of PS3 games on the cheap as stores try to clear out older merchandise.

My guess is that any digital purchases (PS1, PS2, PS3) that are tied to your PSN account will carry over to your Gaikai account, but your physical discs will not do anything on PS4.  It would be nice if Sony would make an announcement on this, because it could make PSN sales more (or less) attractive.

I guarantee it will be Netflix for Sony... A monthly fee gets you access to tons of PS1, PS2, and PS3 games.  At first the titles will be limited to things such as what ps+ had on the PS3 as well as most games that were first party on PS1 and PS2. 

Honestly if this is the case I would do it, but only if it were similar to Netflix's price.  Anything over $10 a month, not to mention having to have PS+ if they require it and I am out.

Best case scenario you get streaming with PS+...

But I don't see how this can be free or how they can give you credit for previous games you own...

bread's done
Back