RIP Ryan Davis (of Giant Bomb)

Outside of the CAGcast, the guys at GiantBomb are my go-to for gaming news. Ryan had a way of making the most horrible game fun to watch. It almost feels like a family member died. I'm in shock.

Best game podcast & only standard "gaming" site I care about. Incredibly heartbreaking.

Just can't imagine what his new wife is feeling, not to mention guys like Gerstmann and Vinny Caravella who have worked closely with him for a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is brutal. To think of someone I listened to every week for years is gone. Very said for the giantbomb family.  I met him once at California Extreme and seemed like a decent guy in person. Given the fact that his co-workers loved him so much is a testament as anything.

RIP Ryan, you will be missed.  

I've been listening to Ryan and Jeff since their hotspot days.  I'll profoundly miss him on the bombcast and more importantly my heart goes out to his widow and the giant bomb crew.

This is brutal. To think of someone I listened to every week for years is gone. Very said for the giantbomb family. I met him once at California Extreme and seemed like a decent guy in person. Given the fact that his co-workers loved him so much is a testament as anything.

RIP Ryan, you will be missed.
I've met him too; the guy was the real deal. I was shocked when I heard the news. My condolences to his coworkers, friends, family, and especially his wife-- it really sucks that this had to happen not long after they got married. Giant Bomb is going to be so strange without him. Thanks Ryan, and rest in peace.

Ryan was one of the liveliest people I've ever met or worked with. Still reeling from the shock, and I can only imagine how hard this is for the rest of the gang who knew him much better than I did (I was one of the techies, not an editor).

Just the previous weekend I was driving through his hometown/residence of Petaluma and thinking about him & Jeff Gerstmann and what little I knew of their wacky hijinx growing up there. Now he's gone :(

RIP duder.

I've been following them for quite a while. I was able to meet him once at pax and he was so kind to me. He was a weekly fixture in my life and I'm going to miss him greatly. RIP Ryan Davis.

Ryan had one of the absolute best personalities in the gaming industry. I am really, really going to miss the guy. My thoughts and prayers go out  to his wife, friends, and family.

I only started listening to podcasts this year, but GB is what got me into it and they are by far my favorite Ryan was awesome and it's just shocking because shit I'm 34 too. Just damn.

Was such sad and shocking news to see early this morning, especially given that he was just starting a happily married life. I've been following him and Jeff since high school when they were at GameSpot. Having heard him on podcasts and seen him in video content on a weekly basis for the past 5 years, it's hard to think that he won't be there anymore.
R.I.P. Mr. Davis, you will be sorely missed.

i'm in shock 

i remember watching him in his bleached hair gamestop days. been listening to the bombcast for years. ruined my whole day. RIP big fella. can't imagine what the bombcast will be like without him. 

This is a tragedy.  The guy was married for five days. I feel so bad for his wife and his family.  

The Bombcast is a part of my life every week.  I don't use the website, but their podcast is second-to-none for an adult-themed discussion on videogames.  

It is really weird caring so much for a guy that I would have never met in real life.  

Really surprised how hard this hit me. Definitely teared up as I keep digging up old clips or write ups on Ryan.  My favorite podcast and gaming website will never be the same.

This is a tragedy. The guy was married for five days. I feel so bad for his wife and his family.

The Bombcast is a part of my life every week. I don't use the website, but their podcast is second-to-none for an adult-themed discussion on videogames.

It is really weird caring so much for a guy that I would have never met in real life.
Word.

Outside of the CAGcast, the guys at GiantBomb are my go-to for gaming news. Ryan had a way of making the most horrible game fun to watch. It almost feels like a family member died. I'm in shock.
Ditto for me. Feel like I've been punched in the gut.

I was just listening to last week's Bombcast on the way to work this morning and thinking (since Ryan was away on his honeymoon for this ep) that the show just isn't the same without him.  And now it will never be the same.  RIP Ryan.  :whistle2:(

I don't have the right words to describe how much this just sucks. My heart goes out to his friends and family. RIP Ryan.

Really, really bummed about this. I would say seriously 50% of my radio/internet video/tv/movie media intake is Giant Bomb. I've been a subscriber for the last few years and listened through the entire back catalog of podcasts. 

It's a big loss for games coverage, a huge loss for giantbomb.com, and a big loss for me personally. That site is so built on their personalities, that losing one of the biggest ones feels hard to recover from. 

The comments from the world of games have made it clear how liked and respected he was. RIP brother. 

Really stunned and devastated by the news. I've listened to every single Giant Bombcast and will continue to listening to them. I can't help but expect the somber tone of the next edition of the Giant Bombcast and the void that will always linger from this day forward at Giant Bomb and the gaming community as a whole.

I don't even know if I want to hear the next episode of the podcast. I'll come into work and people will be asking what's wrong with me.

I was playing the Sonic kart racing game that was on sale (great game, btw) and I was on the Samba de Amigo track, and somehow that made me profoundly sad.

Much like how a few of you guys already mentioned, it's so crazy to see someone that you listen to every week leave, and too soon. I'm going to miss this guy' voice. Such a funny, caring individual, and it really sucks to think that I'll never get to listen to another podcast or see him in anymore videos. Rest in peace, Ryan Davis you will be missed.

Regarding a podcast this week, I don't claim to "know what he would have wanted," and I'll gladly defer to those who knew him best -

Jeff's Twitter:

"Sorry, one guy who said we should do one last episode and then stop doing the podcast forever. Not gonna happen."

I'd guess we're going to get something this week. Don't know if it'll be today (although Ryan took it as a point of pride that the show never missed a Tuesday so far),

Im looking forward to reading what Jeff is going to write up about Ryan, but I know Ill probably be sobbing like a child by the end of it.

Didnt think I could get so choked up about someone Ive never met or talked to. But reading all these tweets and kind words from friends is doing a number on me.

And if you havent read it, Justin McElroy wrote a wonderful piece about Ryan on Polygon.

Awful news, my thoughts are with his family.

Just shows you how fragile life is.  Will really miss hearing him on the bombcast.

RIP Ryan

I don't think anyone knows yet. He had a severe sleeping disorder, so it's possible it was related to that.

his new wife tweeted out on the day he died "Sending my big bro over to wake [Ryan] up..."

(not that I don't feel gross for speculating but there always seems to be a desire to know how)

Some commenter on Kotaku said he died of irony because one of his last tweets on the 3rd was him complaining about not getting enough sleep, using the phrase "It's not like I'm gonna die, but c'mon". I feel like he would've got a good laugh out of that.

I didn't realize he was so young. I always thought the guy was in his 50s. I always enjoyed the GB staff and this is definitely sad news.

I saw the Twitter post from the 3rd yesterday and found it incredibly heart-wrenching. Wife wakes up on her honeymoon, tells her brother to go wake him up, and the next post is the following day saying "wish you were here" with a few photos posted of her hanging with Gerstmann and other friends with fireworks going off.

While that's not actually confirmation that he passed in his sleep on the 3rd, it sure seems that way.

I admit speculating on this next thing is a bit awkward and possibly tasteless, so I apologize if anyone sees it that way. Someone on the GB forums said that if you watch the end of the video Patrick did on the 16 bit Michael Jordan game, he starts to kind of act strange at the end, making references to being sad and similar comments. Wondering if he either got the news when that video was being recorded, or more likely it just hit him as he was winding it up.

EDIT - Right track, wrong train. Turns out July 3rd was also the 1 year anniversary of his dad's death. He addressed the end of the video on his blog and said he didn't know about Ryan until after. Man I feel bad for Klepek. fucking rough day.

It's just so weird that they are keeping it a secret the way they are. If it was a natural sort of death, it wouldn't put things in a worse light would it? I don't know, finding out that it was just in his sleep and not something weird would make me feel better about it somehow.

It's just so weird that they are keeping it a secret the way they are. If it was a natural sort of death, it wouldn't put things in a worse light would it? I don't know, finding out that it was just in his sleep and not something weird would make me feel better about it somehow.
His dad posted on Twitter that Ryan had passed away of natural causes in his sleep.

bread's done
Back