* * * * * 1 votes

RIP Ryan Davis (of Giant Bomb)

#31 jollydwarf   America's #1 Poster CAGiversary!   2615 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

jollydwarf

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:46 AM

You never know.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

#32 iqubal   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   284 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:02 AM

Terrible news. I listen to bombcast all the time. It won't be the same without him : (

RIP.

#33 menikmati   Isolation, self-damnation CAGiversary!   3550 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:11 AM

Really stunned and devastated by the news. I've listened to every single Giant Bombcast and will continue to listening to them. I can't help but expect the somber tone of the next edition of the Giant Bombcast and the void that will always linger from this day forward at Giant Bomb and the gaming community as a whole.

#34 Sonne   The U CAGiversary!   862 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:15 AM

I don't even know if I want to hear the next episode of the podcast. I'll come into work and people will be asking what's wrong with me.

I was playing the Sonic kart racing game that was on sale (great game, btw) and I was on the Samba de Amigo track, and somehow that made me profoundly sad.

#35 Jnova80   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   67 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:17 AM

Much like how a few of you guys already mentioned, it's so crazy to see someone that you listen to every week leave, and too soon. I'm going to miss this guy' voice. Such a funny, caring individual, and it really sucks to think that I'll never get to listen to another podcast or see him in anymore videos. Rest in peace, Ryan Davis you will be missed.

#36 SikFlux   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   27 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:54 AM

The world sucks more now. 

R.I.P. Ryan Davis.

#37 KaneRobot   The Profit$ of Doom CAGiversary!   10507 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:37 AM

Regarding a podcast this week, I don't claim to "know what he would have wanted," and I'll gladly defer to those who knew him best -

Jeff's Twitter:

"Sorry, one guy who said we should do one last episode and then stop doing the podcast forever. Not gonna happen."

I'd guess we're going to get something this week. Don't know if it'll be today (although Ryan took it as a point of pride that the show never missed a Tuesday so far),

#38 4thHorseman   The New God CAGiversary!   2451 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

4thHorseman

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:18 AM

Im looking forward to reading what Jeff is going to write up about Ryan, but I know Ill probably be sobbing like a child by the end of it.

Didnt think I could get so choked up about someone Ive never met or talked to. But reading all these tweets and kind words from friends is doing a number on me.

And if you havent read it, Justin McElroy wrote a wonderful piece about Ryan on Polygon.

#39 benjamouth   Thanks Larry Davis for the sig !! CAGiversary!   7560 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

benjamouth

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

Awful news, my thoughts are with his family.

Just shows you how fragile life is.  Will really miss hearing him on the bombcast.

RIP Ryan

#40 matrix9280   CAGiversary! Banned   1839 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

matrix9280

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:10 PM

How did he die? Was it from a heart attack?

#41 R. Kasahara   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4196 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:32 PM

How did he die?

I don't think anyone knows yet. He had a severe sleeping disorder, so it's possible it was related to that.

#42 Sonne   The U CAGiversary!   862 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:14 PM

I don't think anyone knows yet. He had a severe sleeping disorder, so it's possible it was related to that.

I didn't know that, Sleep Apnea is some scary stuff.

#43 usickenme   I'm the a-hole CAGiversary!   2556 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

usickenme

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:08 PM

his new wife tweeted out on the day he died  "Sending my big bro over to wake [Ryan] up..."  

(not that I don't feel gross for speculating but there always seems to be a desire to know how)

#44 pitfallharry219  

pitfallharry219

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:12 PM

Some commenter on Kotaku said he died of irony because one of his last tweets on the 3rd was him complaining about not getting enough sleep, using the phrase "It's not like I'm gonna die, but c'mon". I feel like he would've got a good laugh out of that.

#45 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   22455 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:21 PM

I didn't realize he was so young. I always thought the guy was in his 50s. I always enjoyed the GB staff and this is definitely sad news.

#46 KaneRobot   The Profit$ of Doom CAGiversary!   10507 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:25 AM

I saw the Twitter post from the 3rd yesterday and found it incredibly heart-wrenching. Wife wakes up on her honeymoon, tells her brother to go wake him up, and the next post is the following day saying "wish you were here" with a few photos posted of her hanging with Gerstmann and other friends with fireworks going off.

While that's not actually confirmation that he passed in his sleep on the 3rd, it sure seems that way.

I admit speculating on this next thing is a bit awkward and possibly tasteless, so I apologize if anyone sees it that way. Someone on the GB forums said that if you watch the end of the video Patrick did on the 16 bit Michael Jordan game, he starts to kind of act strange at the end, making references to being sad and similar comments. Wondering if he either got the news when that video was being recorded, or more likely it just hit him as he was winding it up.

EDIT - Right track, wrong train. Turns out July 3rd was also the 1 year anniversary of his dad's death. He addressed the end of the video on his blog and said he didn't know about Ryan until after. Man I feel bad for Klepek. Fucking rough day.

Edited by KaneRobot, 10 July 2013 - 01:35 AM.

#47 Sonne   The U CAGiversary!   862 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:37 AM

It's just so weird that they are keeping it a secret the way they are. If it was a natural sort of death, it wouldn't put things in a worse light would it? I don't know, finding out that it was just in his sleep and not something weird would make me feel better about it somehow.

#48 Yars   I'd buy that for a dollar! CAGiversary!   2900 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:00 AM

It's just so weird that they are keeping it a secret the way they are. If it was a natural sort of death, it wouldn't put things in a worse light would it? I don't know, finding out that it was just in his sleep and not something weird would make me feel better about it somehow.

His dad posted on Twitter that Ryan had passed away of natural causes in his sleep.

#49 Sonne   The U CAGiversary!   862 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:09 AM

His dad posted on Twitter that Ryan had passed away of natural causes in his sleep.

Fuck. I would imagine he at least went out happy. 

#50 hufferstl   Get your symbols kid CAGiversary!   2543 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:52 AM

It can take a while to find out why these things happen.

And I havent seen anything by his dad stating any details.

#51 hufferstl   Get your symbols kid CAGiversary!   2543 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:33 AM

Bombcast is up. Damn. Its going to be rough to listen.

#52 KaneRobot   The Profit$ of Doom CAGiversary!   10507 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:43 AM

Glad they have a large cast. No Dave sadly unless I didn't notice his name, but full crew otherwise

#53 Sonne   The U CAGiversary!   862 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:04 AM

Fuck. I was wondering if it was coming up. I'll put it on the way home from Orlando tomorrow. It'll be good to listen on a long, dark, quiet drive.

#54 KaneRobot   The Profit$ of Doom CAGiversary!   10507 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:41 AM

Fun show. Was rough to hear one of the guys break down for a moment near the end but overall an entertaining show of memories.

#55 Emoney244   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1683 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:50 AM

Wow that Bombcast was something else...

#56 Yars   I'd buy that for a dollar! CAGiversary!   2900 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:51 PM

Glad they have a large cast. No Dave sadly unless I didn't notice his name, but full crew otherwise

Someone at GAF said that Dave left the company a few months ago. :( I would've really liked him to step in as a permanent member on the Bombcast.

Yeah, that latest Bombcast was a pretty damn good tribute to Ryan. Hopefully the entire crew gets some time off to recollect themselves after all that's happened.

#57 Blaster man  

Blaster man

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:33 PM

http://www.vertigoga...et/blog/?p=2476

#58 usickenme   I'm the a-hole CAGiversary!   2556 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

usickenme

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:51 AM

probably my favorite GB moment. This was included on "This Years" podcast tribute which was also great.

http://www.thisyearc...s-memorial.html

#59 saiyajinsc   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   483 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

saiyajinsc

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:07 AM

probably my favorite GB moment. This was included on "This Years" podcast tribute which was also great.

http://www.thisyearc...s-memorial.html

can't believe I missed that episode, thanks for the video, had me tearing up from laughter.  I miss you Ryan Davis!

#60 Emoney244   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1683 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:01 AM

NEVER!