* * * * * 51 votes

Amazon PCDD - Important Update New Community Manager Incoming!

knack 250GB Xbox 360 amazon pc 250gb xbox 360

#3691 MrNinjaSquirrel   Emo Blogger CAGiversary!   12143 Posts   Joined 3.7 Years Ago  

MrNinjaSquirrel

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:51 PM

So can anyone give me an honest opinion of how the first two Mac Paynes hols up? I've been interested in them for awhile, but watched a video of the first and it looks really rough even for when it was released. I'm tempted by the whole bundle, but if I've waited to long to play them I might just wait for 3 to be cheaper on its own.

Hey, you look like you have a lot of money; how about donating some of it to my Extra Life drive?

#3692 MysterD   CAG's "Iconic" Toaster & VRAM Fanatic CAGiversary!   20604 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:09 PM

So can anyone give me an honest opinion of how the first two Mac Paynes hols up? I've been interested in them for awhile, but watched a video of the first and it looks really rough even for when it was released. I'm tempted by the whole bundle, but if I've waited to long to play them I might just wait for 3 to be cheaper on its own.

Geez, I ain't played the Max Payne 1 and 2 games in years. Can't speak on how they hold up nowadays, on modern systems.

But, I'll give you my thoughts, for when they 1st came out: they were top-of-the-shelf third-person shooters, back when they came out.

When they came out, they were leagues ahead of most other third-person shooters in terms of action and especially plot & story-telling. Also, most games lifted the slo-mo thing from this game - of course, Max lifted it from The Matrix movies, more or less. More so w/ Max Payne 2 on the great story and story-telling than Max 1, IMHO. While Max 1's plot was great, Max 1 was not written that great - b/c it was done purposely very "hammy" and poorly-written to critique the entire action-genre. Even though Max 2 is still a bit over-the-top and "hammy" - Max 2 did a much better job on the writing, dialogue & can be taken much more seriously, if you ask me.

I do know they can be a pain-in-the-ass to get going properly on modern-PC's; namely, there's sound-issues. So, check the Steam Power-User Forums. Namely, check the stickied-threads at the top. Especially this one on Sound-issues. 

Also, you might want to check the modern Steam forums for both Max 1 and Max 2, in case you've got problems - maybe there's more updates & info there on issues/solutions.

EDIT:

Max Payne 3 PC's great. Just, you have been warned: the Max Payne 3 folder (base-game only) takes up around 29.1 GB worth of hard drive space! Though, the game's packed w/ loads of details and is gorgeous - one of the better looking PC games out there, technically.

Bing Rewards - Referral Link

Motoki: If you were MysterD you would wait for a 75% off sale. And tell everyone about it. Repeatedly. 

MysterD: We don't play games on CAG; we backlog 'em. No wonder we have no time to play games! All we do is keep buying games; run games idly for cards; keep backlogging games; & talk about games on CAG Forums + gaming forums like it.

#3693 warreni   Eminently punchable CAGiversary!   4528 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:17 PM

I never had many complaints w/ those heavily combat-based sections of the game. That's probably b/c I kept pumping points into those skills. And even by the end of the game, gamers should hopefully have at least a fair amount pumped into those combat-based skills - b/c it kind of forces more combat and action down our throats in the last 1/3rd of the actual game. And since I just opened my big-mouth about that - gamers, take note. Talking won't always get you out of a situation - especially in the last 1/3rd of the game.

Sure, the game was buggy as hell upon release - but Official Patch 1.2 fixed most of the killer stability & bug issues; and either of the two unofficial patches (Wesp or Tessmage) should stomp any other lingering issues out plus actually get the game working w/ modern OS's (i.e. Win 7 or anything w/ more GB of RAM).

Agree with Mooby here, actually. It's a great game, but I couldn't finish it because toward the end of the game (after you meet the Chinese vampires), it was just a ton of fighting and started feeling directionless. I had the exact same problem with KOTOR II.

(Ocean Front Hotel) and one of my favorite quest-lines/stories/plot-twists of all time (that quest-line where you work for The Two Twins, Jeanette and Therese, at The Asylum nightclub).

I completely agree with this, though. I've said it before, but if you play this at night, it will scare the crap out of you--not in a cheap way (mostly), just because it's incredibly atmospheric. 

I will also say that this game gets bonus points for its really excellent implementation of the VTM  (as they were constituted then) clans.

fs_pc.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

#3694 Neuro5i5   pʎslǝxıɔ CAGiversary!   10258 Posts   Joined 3.9 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:20 PM

Graphic fidelity is something 1 and 2 always lacked, but try not to think of it in those terms. Think of it as an art style choice and playing inside a comic book graphic novel.  While they are a bit dated, I think every fan should play them.  I vastly prefer the cut scene story telling style in 1 and 2 over that of 3.

Deep in Season 7.

#3695 MysterD   CAG's "Iconic" Toaster & VRAM Fanatic CAGiversary!   20604 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:27 PM

Agree with Mooby here, actually. It's a great game, but I couldn't finish it because toward the end of the game (after you meet the Chinese vampires), it was just a ton of fighting and started feeling directionless. I had the exact same problem with KOTOR II.

I think the reason gamers complaint about the last 1/3rd of games like Bioshock 1 and Bloodlines is b/c your approach of how to play the game might actually drastically change - even more true on Bloodlines (b/c it's more of an RPG), if you didn't focus on combat. Namely, those two games in particular get less-focused on story and go more so into the actual action-territory in the last 1/3rd. 

Without hitting spoiler-turf here, I didn't mind the switch to action in both Bioshock 1 and Bloodlines as much as many others felt in the last 1/3rd of the game. There were an important key-event in both games that absolutely enraged me...and literally made me want to go on a revenge-filled path of action-galore. Only problem is - in Bloodlines, depending on how you play the game and who you interact with, this event might not even happen; for me, this event did happen in Bloodlines in my 1st play-through.

Another game that switches its last 1/3rd is Indigo Prophecy (AKA Fahrenheit when uncut) - which I think really messed-up its last 1/3rd of its game, more so than the other 2 games. Its story went from plausible to insanely ridiculous; and it got way too QTE-heavy in the last 1/3rd. I can deal w/ action-heavy portion, but not overly QTE-heavy portions like that.

Motoki: If you were MysterD you would wait for a 75% off sale. And tell everyone about it. Repeatedly. 

MysterD: We don't play games on CAG; we backlog 'em. No wonder we have no time to play games! All we do is keep buying games; run games idly for cards; keep backlogging games; & talk about games on CAG Forums + gaming forums like it.

#3696 MysterD   CAG's "Iconic" Toaster & VRAM Fanatic CAGiversary!   20604 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

Graphic fidelity is something 1 and 2 always lacked, but try not to think of it in those terms. Think of it as an art style choice and playing inside a comic book graphic novel.  While they are a bit dated, I think every fan should play them.  I vastly prefer the cut scene story telling style in 1 and 2 over that of 3.

Yeah, I have no problem w/ the cut-scene comics in Max Payne 1 and 2. I loved those, actually.

I have no problem w/ the Tony Scott style (like Man on Fire flick w/ words jumping out all over the place stylistically on-screen) of cut-scenes that Max Payne 3 has. I just wish the Max Payne 3 scenes were optionally-skippable, though - namely for those looking to focus on the action and/or those who know the story enough for when doing an actual replay of the game.

#3697 seamoss   CAGadversary! CAGiversary!   1932 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:33 PM

Really good games, if you don't mind the slightly dated visuals. Bullet time still looks good even today. I liked MP1 more than MP2 because the story with its noir atmosphere is better and the levels are more intereseting, but both are good. You can usually get them in a pack during Steam sales for less than $4.

#3698 GamingKnight   Ni! CAGiversary!   115 Posts   Joined 4.9 Years Ago  

GamingKnight

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:34 PM

Here's some info you Vampire fans might need.  This is in regards to the Steam version, so may not apply here.  My operating system is Windows 7 64 bit.

Spoiler

Max Payne 1 info

Spoiler

fs_overall.png

I'll down the game that gets in my way with one fingertip! ATATATATA!!

#3699 Neuro5i5   pʎslǝxıɔ CAGiversary!   10258 Posts   Joined 3.9 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:42 PM

Yeah, I have no problem w/ the cut-scene comics in Max Payne 1 and 2. I loved those, actually.

I have no problem w/ the Tony Scott style (like Man on Fire flick w/ words jumping out all over the place stylistically on-screen) of cut-scenes that Max Payne 3 has. I just wish the Max Payne 3 scenes were optionally-skippable, though - namely for those looking to focus on the action and/or those who know the story enough for when doing an actual replay of the game.

Oh, how I wish they were skippable.  I suffer from migraines and am particularly sensitive to certain visual triggers.  I can play most games for hours at a time without any problems, but can only get through MP3 for a few minutes before getting a headache.  I love the style, but the decision to make them fully integrated into the gameplay is a point of contention with me.

Deep in Season 7.

#3700 MysterD   CAG's "Iconic" Toaster & VRAM Fanatic CAGiversary!   20604 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:43 PM

Here's some info you Vampire fans might need.  This is in regards to the Steam version, so may not apply here.

Back when I tried running Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, I got an error saying 'Available memory less than 15MB.'  After looking for community fixes, I came across this.

Steam topic for reference.

Spoiler

Everyone, bookmark that post!

Great post. :D

Absolutely necessary, given the amount of problems people can have w/ this Bloodlines game - especially on modern-OS's (i.e. the general RAM problem) and even more so especially w/ the Steam-version (i.e. especially in particular steps 2 and 5).

For Steam-version users of Bloodlines - I'd also recommend before screwing w/ the files and modding it up, back-up your downloaded version of Bloodlines in a clean state (i.e. unmodded). This way, you don't gotta re-download the damn thing (I think it's around 4GB, if IIRC) - if something goes wrong and you feel that you need to get back to a "clean state" so that you can start modding again from scratch.

Actually, as a side note - I also ALWAYS recommend you do that step before you mod any Steam-version game - in case any new official patches get released; unofficial mods might conflict w/ others mods you're using and break your game; or anything else can happen that possibly can break your modded-game.

#3701 icedragon15   Banned Banned   3450 Posts   Joined 3.7 Years Ago  

icedragon15

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:47 PM

Everyone, bookmark that post!

Great post. :D

Absolutely necessary, given the amount of problems people can have w/ this Bloodlines game - especially on modern-OS's (i.e. the general RAM problem) and even more so especially w/ the Steam-version (i.e. especially in particular steps 2 and 5).

For Steam-version users of Bloodlines - I'd also recommend before screwing w/ the files and modding it up, back-up your downloaded version of Bloodlines in a clean state (i.e. unmodded). This way, you don't gotta re-download the damn thing (I think it's around 4GB, if IIRC) - if something goes wrong and you feel that you need to get back to a "clean state" so that you can start modding again from scratch.

Actually, as a side note - I also ALWAYS recommend you do that step before you mod any Steam-version game - in case any new official patches get released; unofficial mods might conflict w/ others mods you're using and break your game; or anything else can happen that possibly can break your modded-game.

if u dont zomibie mysterd will eat u at night muaha 

486163.png

76561198028344994.png

where the insane message button do snakey bro spanking you is message that message right eheeh 

They're all message buttons!   :bouncy:

http://cms.fightfort...ure.org/tellfcc

https://en.necessary...take-action/EFF

#3702 MysterD   CAG's "Iconic" Toaster & VRAM Fanatic CAGiversary!   20604 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:52 PM

Oh, how I wish they were skippable.  I suffer from migraines and am particularly sensitive to certain visual triggers.  I can play most games for hours at a time without any problems, but can only get through MP3 for a few minutes before getting a headache.  I love the style, but the decision to make them fully integrated into the gameplay is a point of contention with me.

Oh, man - sorry to hear about the headaches and migraines the game gives you. That sucks. :(

Even more reason Rockstar should make it a skippable option.

I really do think making cut-scenes not-skippable in Max Payne 3 is one of the things that I find ridiculous about the game - especially since some of them are very long-winded. In cases like especially yours (where they can cause sickness, migraines, health problems, etc), it's absolutely necessary. For anybody who knows the game and/or just wanted to get right to the action (especially true on replays), it's really silly that there's no official option for this. 

Hmmm, I wonder if anyone ever put out a mod to implement cut-scene skipping. Any clue?

Many games allow for cut-scene skipping and dialogue-skipping/speeding-up - and Max 3 should honestly join that club. 

#3703 MysterD   CAG's "Iconic" Toaster & VRAM Fanatic CAGiversary!   20604 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:54 PM

if u dont zomibie mysterd will eat u at night muaha 

It's either zombie MysterD or vampiric MysterD.

Take your pick. ;)

#3704 Amazon DVG Deals   Amazon Official Rep Retailer Representative   4216 Posts   Joined 5.1 Years Ago  

Amazon DVG Deals

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:17 PM

Oooh, I'm fluent in Tebonics!

Translation:

"Why, Tony?

Why nothing good on sale for Tebow?

Why, Tony?

Why do you never answer my questions about a future Space Marine DLC Bundle?"

Lol I have requests out for the space marine dlc bundle, and yes, I had no idea what you were asking, sorry :(.

Doesn't look like it. This is how these MP3 deals usually go, they want you to buy the season pass with it at a higher price. I've heard the multiplayer is dead though, so it makes buying the season pass pointless..

We'll have MP3 by itself for $9.99.

Cheers,

Tony

Cheers,
Tony - "T-Money"
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter:
www.twitter.com/amazongames
http://www.facebook....?ref=ts&fref=ts

#3705 Amazon DVG Deals   Amazon Official Rep Retailer Representative   4216 Posts   Joined 5.1 Years Ago  

Amazon DVG Deals

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

Max Payne 3 bundle now has a link:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G3K2JEG

Cheers,

Tony

Cheers,
Tony - "T-Money"

#3706 spoderman   Time = Money CAGiversary!   16737 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

Cheers,
Tony

y u do dis toni

GUtUP1U.jpg

#3707 Zipomatic2   Really, Really Cheap CAGiversary!   430 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:26 PM

Really good games, if you don't mind the slightly dated visuals. Bullet time still looks good even today. I liked MP1 more than MP2 because the story with its noir atmosphere is better and the levels are more intereseting, but both are good. You can usually get them in a pack during Steam sales for less than $4.

Completely agree with this!

I'm actually playing MP2 at the moment and I am having a blast.

Posted Image

If it's not 75% off, or less that $10, I ain't buying it!

#3708 MrNinjaSquirrel   Emo Blogger CAGiversary!   12143 Posts   Joined 3.7 Years Ago  

MrNinjaSquirrel

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:19 PM

Max Payne 3 bundle now has a link:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G3K2JEG

Cheers,

Tony

For the low, low price of $89.96 ;)

Hey, you look like you have a lot of money; how about donating some of it to my Extra Life drive?

#3709 Amazon DVG Deals   Amazon Official Rep Retailer Representative   4216 Posts   Joined 5.1 Years Ago  

Amazon DVG Deals

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:25 PM

For the low, low price of $89.96 ;)

The sale starts tomorrow.

Cheers,

Tony

Cheers,
Tony - "T-Money"

#3710 Detruire   Would have finished the dark skin first CAGiversary!   5194 Posts   Joined 3.9 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:26 PM

Wait a minute....

Max Payne 3 + Season Pass: $9.99

:headache:

#3711 Thermopyle  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:34 PM

Wait a minute....
:headache:

As opposed to a bundle with the other MP games... :)

Thermopyle2.png

#3712 pasports31   New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog CAGiversary!   7637 Posts   Joined 3.6 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:37 PM

Hell, Malkavians even can interact w/ things other classes can't.

Example: A Malkavian can even have a dialogue-tree w/ a damn Stop Sign!

I think this just convinced me to buy it

444806.png

76561198067824944.png

#3713 Thermopyle  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:42 PM

Yeah, I've been strongly considering Bloodlines for a while, but the price and temptation wasn't right. This sale has done it for me, though.

Thermopyle2.png

#3714 MrNinjaSquirrel   Emo Blogger CAGiversary!   12143 Posts   Joined 3.7 Years Ago  

MrNinjaSquirrel

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:08 PM

The sale starts tomorrow.

Cheers,

Tony

Just messing with you Tony ;)

#3715 Pr0f1t   Trophywhorus Rex CAGiversary!   191 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:06 PM

Yo Tony - How about an extra special deal for Rocksmith 2014 now that it's listed:

http://www.amazon.co...uct/B00FT2UU5E/

Thanks for your consideration.  Here's a small bribe to help grease the skids:  Section 8 F5Q0N-7J0RV-4MGAY.

Building my backlog for retirement or a deep space mission, whichever comes first.

Origin/UPlay: ImPr0f1t, PSN: DellApple

fs_overall.png

#3716 soulkyo   I don't have time to play but I keep on hoarding. CAGiversary!   1006 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:24 PM

Is the MP3 bundle a single key? I'm only interested on the season pass.

soulkyo.png logo.png

#3717 spoderman   Time = Money CAGiversary!   16737 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:26 PM

Yo Tony - How about an extra special deal for Rocksmith 2014 now that it's listed:

Thanks for your consideration.  Here's a small bribe to help grease the skids:  Section 8 F5Q0N-7J0RV-4MGAY.

I'm gay for you too.

GUtUP1U.jpg

#3718 Pr0f1t   Trophywhorus Rex CAGiversary!   191 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:57 PM

I'm gay for you too.

So maybe "grease the skids" was a poor choice of cliché for that code.  I don't make them, I just drop 'em.  You can quit staring at my bum now spoder.

Building my backlog for retirement or a deep space mission, whichever comes first.

Origin/UPlay: ImPr0f1t, PSN: DellApple

fs_overall.png

#3719 Amazon DVG Deals   Amazon Official Rep Retailer Representative   4216 Posts   Joined 5.1 Years Ago  

Amazon DVG Deals

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:15 PM

Is the MP3 bundle a single key? I'm only interested on the season pass.

Multiple keys :).

I'll ask, but I doubt it :(.

Just messing with you Tony ;)

You take your jokes and go home! :).

Cheers,

Tony

Cheers,
Tony - "T-Money"

#3720 Emuaust   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   116 Posts   Joined 3.8 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:07 PM

Is the Max Payne 3 dlc all multiplayer content?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: knack, 250GB Xbox 360, amazon, pc, 250gb xbox 360