* * * * * 51 votes

Amazon PCDD - Important Update New Community Manager Incoming!

knack 250GB Xbox 360 amazon pc 250gb xbox 360

#3691 MrNinjaSquirrel   Emo Blogger CAGiversary!   12143 Posts   Joined 2.6 Years Ago  

MrNinjaSquirrel

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:51 PM

So can anyone give me an honest opinion of how the first two Mac Paynes hols up? I've been interested in them for awhile, but watched a video of the first and it looks really rough even for when it was released. I'm tempted by the whole bundle, but if I've waited to long to play them I might just wait for 3 to be cheaper on its own.

Hey, you look like you have a lot of money; how about donating some of it to my Extra Life drive?

#3692 MysterD   CAG's "Iconic" Toaster w/ approx. 4GB VRAM CAGiversary!   17728 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:09 PM

So can anyone give me an honest opinion of how the first two Mac Paynes hols up? I've been interested in them for awhile, but watched a video of the first and it looks really rough even for when it was released. I'm tempted by the whole bundle, but if I've waited to long to play them I might just wait for 3 to be cheaper on its own.

Geez, I ain't played the Max Payne 1 and 2 games in years. Can't speak on how they hold up nowadays, on modern systems.

But, I'll give you my thoughts, for when they 1st came out: they were top-of-the-shelf third-person shooters, back when they came out.

When they came out, they were leagues ahead of most other third-person shooters in terms of action and especially plot & story-telling. Also, most games lifted the slo-mo thing from this game - of course, Max lifted it from The Matrix movies, more or less. More so w/ Max Payne 2 on the great story and story-telling than Max 1, IMHO. While Max 1's plot was great, Max 1 was not written that great - b/c it was done purposely very "hammy" and poorly-written to critique the entire action-genre. Even though Max 2 is still a bit over-the-top and "hammy" - Max 2 did a much better job on the writing, dialogue & can be taken much more seriously, if you ask me.

I do know they can be a pain-in-the-ass to get going properly on modern-PC's; namely, there's sound-issues. So, check the Steam Power-User Forums. Namely, check the stickied-threads at the top. Especially this one on Sound-issues. 

Also, you might want to check the modern Steam forums for both Max 1 and Max 2, in case you've got problems - maybe there's more updates & info there on issues/solutions.

EDIT:

Max Payne 3 PC's great. Just, you have been warned: the Max Payne 3 folder (base-game only) takes up around 29.1 GB worth of hard drive space! Though, the game's packed w/ loads of details and is gorgeous - one of the better looking PC games out there, technically.

Bing Rewards - Referral Link

We don't play games on CAG; we backlog 'em. ;)

No wonder we have no time to play games!

All we do is keep buying games; run games idly for cards; keep backlogging games; & talk about games on CAG Forums + gaming forums like it.

#3693 warreni   Eminently punchable CAGiversary!   3976 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:17 PM

I never had many complaints w/ those heavily combat-based sections of the game. That's probably b/c I kept pumping points into those skills. And even by the end of the game, gamers should hopefully have at least a fair amount pumped into those combat-based skills - b/c it kind of forces more combat and action down our throats in the last 1/3rd of the actual game. And since I just opened my big-mouth about that - gamers, take note. Talking won't always get you out of a situation - especially in the last 1/3rd of the game.

Sure, the game was buggy as hell upon release - but Official Patch 1.2 fixed most of the killer stability & bug issues; and either of the two unofficial patches (Wesp or Tessmage) should stomp any other lingering issues out plus actually get the game working w/ modern OS's (i.e. Win 7 or anything w/ more GB of RAM).

Agree with Mooby here, actually. It's a great game, but I couldn't finish it because toward the end of the game (after you meet the Chinese vampires), it was just a ton of fighting and started feeling directionless. I had the exact same problem with KOTOR II.

(Ocean Front Hotel) and one of my favorite quest-lines/stories/plot-twists of all time (that quest-line where you work for The Two Twins, Jeanette and Therese, at The Asylum nightclub).

I completely agree with this, though. I've said it before, but if you play this at night, it will scare the crap out of you--not in a cheap way (mostly), just because it's incredibly atmospheric. 

I will also say that this game gets bonus points for its really excellent implementation of the VTM  (as they were constituted then) clans.

76561197989704676.png

If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

#3694 Neuro5i5   pʎslǝxıɔ CAGiversary!   9974 Posts   Joined 2.8 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:20 PM

Graphic fidelity is something 1 and 2 always lacked, but try not to think of it in those terms. Think of it as an art style choice and playing inside a comic book graphic novel.  While they are a bit dated, I think every fan should play them.  I vastly prefer the cut scene story telling style in 1 and 2 over that of 3.

Don't believe his lies.

#3695 MysterD   CAG's "Iconic" Toaster w/ approx. 4GB VRAM CAGiversary!   17728 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:27 PM

Agree with Mooby here, actually. It's a great game, but I couldn't finish it because toward the end of the game (after you meet the Chinese vampires), it was just a ton of fighting and started feeling directionless. I had the exact same problem with KOTOR II.

I think the reason gamers complaint about the last 1/3rd of games like Bioshock 1 and Bloodlines is b/c your approach of how to play the game might actually drastically change - even more true on Bloodlines (b/c it's more of an RPG), if you didn't focus on combat. Namely, those two games in particular get less-focused on story and go more so into the actual action-territory in the last 1/3rd. 

Without hitting spoiler-turf here, I didn't mind the switch to action in both Bioshock 1 and Bloodlines as much as many others felt in the last 1/3rd of the game. There were an important key-event in both games that absolutely enraged me...and literally made me want to go on a revenge-filled path of action-galore. Only problem is - in Bloodlines, depending on how you play the game and who you interact with, this event might not even happen; for me, this event did happen in Bloodlines in my 1st play-through.

Another game that switches its last 1/3rd is Indigo Prophecy (AKA Fahrenheit when uncut) - which I think really messed-up its last 1/3rd of its game, more so than the other 2 games. Its story went from plausible to insanely ridiculous; and it got way too QTE-heavy in the last 1/3rd. I can deal w/ action-heavy portion, but not overly QTE-heavy portions like that.

All we do is keep buying games; run games idly for cards; keep backlogging games; & talk about games on CAG Forums + gaming forums like it.

#3696 MysterD   CAG's "Iconic" Toaster w/ approx. 4GB VRAM CAGiversary!   17728 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

Graphic fidelity is something 1 and 2 always lacked, but try not to think of it in those terms. Think of it as an art style choice and playing inside a comic book graphic novel.  While they are a bit dated, I think every fan should play them.  I vastly prefer the cut scene story telling style in 1 and 2 over that of 3.

Yeah, I have no problem w/ the cut-scene comics in Max Payne 1 and 2. I loved those, actually.

I have no problem w/ the Tony Scott style (like Man on Fire flick w/ words jumping out all over the place stylistically on-screen) of cut-scenes that Max Payne 3 has. I just wish the Max Payne 3 scenes were optionally-skippable, though - namely for those looking to focus on the action and/or those who know the story enough for when doing an actual replay of the game.

#3697 seamoss   CAGadversary! CAGiversary!   1930 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:33 PM

Really good games, if you don't mind the slightly dated visuals. Bullet time still looks good even today. I liked MP1 more than MP2 because the story with its noir atmosphere is better and the levels are more intereseting, but both are good. You can usually get them in a pack during Steam sales for less than $4.

#3698 GamingKnight   Ni! CAGiversary!   115 Posts   Joined 3.8 Years Ago  

GamingKnight

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:34 PM

Here's some info you Vampire fans might need.  This is in regards to the Steam version, so may not apply here.  My operating system is Windows 7 64 bit.

Spoiler

Max Payne 1 info

Spoiler

fs_overall.png

I'll down the game that gets in my way with one fingertip! ATATATATA!!

#3699 Neuro5i5   pʎslǝxıɔ CAGiversary!   9974 Posts   Joined 2.8 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:42 PM

Yeah, I have no problem w/ the cut-scene comics in Max Payne 1 and 2. I loved those, actually.

I have no problem w/ the Tony Scott style (like Man on Fire flick w/ words jumping out all over the place stylistically on-screen) of cut-scenes that Max Payne 3 has. I just wish the Max Payne 3 scenes were optionally-skippable, though - namely for those looking to focus on the action and/or those who know the story enough for when doing an actual replay of the game.

Oh, how I wish they were skippable.  I suffer from migraines and am particularly sensitive to certain visual triggers.  I can play most games for hours at a time without any problems, but can only get through MP3 for a few minutes before getting a headache.  I love the style, but the decision to make them fully integrated into the gameplay is a point of contention with me.

Don't believe his lies.

#3700 MysterD   CAG's "Iconic" Toaster w/ approx. 4GB VRAM CAGiversary!   17728 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:43 PM

Here's some info you Vampire fans might need.  This is in regards to the Steam version, so may not apply here.

Back when I tried running Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, I got an error saying 'Available memory less than 15MB.'  After looking for community fixes, I came across this.

Steam topic for reference.

Spoiler

Everyone, bookmark that post!

Great post. :D

Absolutely necessary, given the amount of problems people can have w/ this Bloodlines game - especially on modern-OS's (i.e. the general RAM problem) and even more so especially w/ the Steam-version (i.e. especially in particular steps 2 and 5).

For Steam-version users of Bloodlines - I'd also recommend before screwing w/ the files and modding it up, back-up your downloaded version of Bloodlines in a clean state (i.e. unmodded). This way, you don't gotta re-download the damn thing (I think it's around 4GB, if IIRC) - if something goes wrong and you feel that you need to get back to a "clean state" so that you can start modding again from scratch.

Actually, as a side note - I also ALWAYS recommend you do that step before you mod any Steam-version game - in case any new official patches get released; unofficial mods might conflict w/ others mods you're using and break your game; or anything else can happen that possibly can break your modded-game.

#3701 icedragon15   Banned Banned   3450 Posts   Joined 2.6 Years Ago  

icedragon15

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:47 PM

Everyone, bookmark that post!

Great post. :D

Absolutely necessary, given the amount of problems people can have w/ this Bloodlines game - especially on modern-OS's (i.e. the general RAM problem) and even more so especially w/ the Steam-version (i.e. especially in particular steps 2 and 5).

For Steam-version users of Bloodlines - I'd also recommend before screwing w/ the files and modding it up, back-up your downloaded version of Bloodlines in a clean state (i.e. unmodded). This way, you don't gotta re-download the damn thing (I think it's around 4GB, if IIRC) - if something goes wrong and you feel that you need to get back to a "clean state" so that you can start modding again from scratch.

Actually, as a side note - I also ALWAYS recommend you do that step before you mod any Steam-version game - in case any new official patches get released; unofficial mods might conflict w/ others mods you're using and break your game; or anything else can happen that possibly can break your modded-game.

if u dont zomibie mysterd will eat u at night muaha 

486163.png

76561198028344994.png

where the insane message button do snakey bro spanking you is message that message right eheeh 

They're all message buttons!   :bouncy:

http://cms.fightfort...ure.org/tellfcc

https://en.necessary...take-action/EFF

#3702 MysterD   CAG's "Iconic" Toaster w/ approx. 4GB VRAM CAGiversary!   17728 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:52 PM

Oh, how I wish they were skippable.  I suffer from migraines and am particularly sensitive to certain visual triggers.  I can play most games for hours at a time without any problems, but can only get through MP3 for a few minutes before getting a headache.  I love the style, but the decision to make them fully integrated into the gameplay is a point of contention with me.

Oh, man - sorry to hear about the headaches and migraines the game gives you. That sucks. :(

Even more reason Rockstar should make it a skippable option.

I really do think making cut-scenes not-skippable in Max Payne 3 is one of the things that I find ridiculous about the game - especially since some of them are very long-winded. In cases like especially yours (where they can cause sickness, migraines, health problems, etc), it's absolutely necessary. For anybody who knows the game and/or just wanted to get right to the action (especially true on replays), it's really silly that there's no official option for this. 

Hmmm, I wonder if anyone ever put out a mod to implement cut-scene skipping. Any clue?

Many games allow for cut-scene skipping and dialogue-skipping/speeding-up - and Max 3 should honestly join that club. 

#3703 MysterD   CAG's "Iconic" Toaster w/ approx. 4GB VRAM CAGiversary!   17728 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:54 PM

if u dont zomibie mysterd will eat u at night muaha 

It's either zombie MysterD or vampiric MysterD.

Take your pick. ;)

#3704 Amazon DVG Deals   Amazon Official Rep Retailer Representative   4216 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

Amazon DVG Deals

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:17 PM

Oooh, I'm fluent in Tebonics!

Translation:

"Why, Tony?

Why nothing good on sale for Tebow?

Why, Tony?

Why do you never answer my questions about a future Space Marine DLC Bundle?"

Lol I have requests out for the space marine dlc bundle, and yes, I had no idea what you were asking, sorry :(.

Doesn't look like it. This is how these MP3 deals usually go, they want you to buy the season pass with it at a higher price. I've heard the multiplayer is dead though, so it makes buying the season pass pointless..

We'll have MP3 by itself for $9.99.

Cheers,

Tony

Cheers,
Tony - "T-Money"
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter:
www.twitter.com/amazongames
http://www.facebook....?ref=ts&fref=ts

#3705 Amazon DVG Deals   Amazon Official Rep Retailer Representative   4216 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

Amazon DVG Deals

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

Max Payne 3 bundle now has a link:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G3K2JEG

Cheers,

Tony

Cheers,
Tony - "T-Money"

#3706 spoderman   I thought Harvey Dent said that CAGiversary!   13668 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

Cheers,
Tony

y u do dis toni

#3707 Zipomatic2   Really, Really Cheap CAGiversary!   425 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:26 PM

Really good games, if you don't mind the slightly dated visuals. Bullet time still looks good even today. I liked MP1 more than MP2 because the story with its noir atmosphere is better and the levels are more intereseting, but both are good. You can usually get them in a pack during Steam sales for less than $4.

Completely agree with this!

I'm actually playing MP2 at the moment and I am having a blast.

Posted Image

If it's not 75% off, or less that $10, I ain't buying it!

#3708 MrNinjaSquirrel   Emo Blogger CAGiversary!   12143 Posts   Joined 2.6 Years Ago  

MrNinjaSquirrel

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:19 PM

Max Payne 3 bundle now has a link:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G3K2JEG

Cheers,

Tony

For the low, low price of $89.96 ;)

Hey, you look like you have a lot of money; how about donating some of it to my Extra Life drive?

#3709 Amazon DVG Deals   Amazon Official Rep Retailer Representative   4216 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

Amazon DVG Deals

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:25 PM

For the low, low price of $89.96 ;)

The sale starts tomorrow.

Cheers,

Tony

Cheers,
Tony - "T-Money"

#3710 Detruire   Would have finished the dark skin first CAGiversary!   4865 Posts   Joined 2.8 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:26 PM

Wait a minute....

Max Payne 3 + Season Pass: $9.99

:headache:

#3711 Thermopyle  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:34 PM

Wait a minute....
:headache:

As opposed to a bundle with the other MP games... :)

Thermopyle2.png

#3712 pasports31   New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog CAGiversary!   6883 Posts   Joined 2.5 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:37 PM

Hell, Malkavians even can interact w/ things other classes can't.

Example: A Malkavian can even have a dialogue-tree w/ a damn Stop Sign!

I think this just convinced me to buy it

444806.png

76561198067824944.png

#3713 Thermopyle  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:42 PM

Yeah, I've been strongly considering Bloodlines for a while, but the price and temptation wasn't right. This sale has done it for me, though.

Thermopyle2.png

#3714 MrNinjaSquirrel   Emo Blogger CAGiversary!   12143 Posts   Joined 2.6 Years Ago  

MrNinjaSquirrel

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:08 PM

The sale starts tomorrow.

Cheers,

Tony

Just messing with you Tony ;)

#3715 Pr0f1t   Trophywhorus Rex CAGiversary!   160 Posts   Joined 3.9 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:06 PM

Yo Tony - How about an extra special deal for Rocksmith 2014 now that it's listed:

http://www.amazon.co...uct/B00FT2UU5E/

Thanks for your consideration.  Here's a small bribe to help grease the skids:  Section 8 F5Q0N-7J0RV-4MGAY.

76561197976108082.pngfs_overall.png

#3716 soulkyo   Molecular Biology CAGiversary!   926 Posts   Joined 2.9 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:24 PM

Is the MP3 bundle a single key? I'm only interested on the season pass.

soulkyo.png            logo.png

#3717 spoderman   I thought Harvey Dent said that CAGiversary!   13668 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:26 PM

Yo Tony - How about an extra special deal for Rocksmith 2014 now that it's listed:

Thanks for your consideration.  Here's a small bribe to help grease the skids:  Section 8 F5Q0N-7J0RV-4MGAY.

I'm gay for you too.

#3718 Pr0f1t   Trophywhorus Rex CAGiversary!   160 Posts   Joined 3.9 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:57 PM

I'm gay for you too.

So maybe "grease the skids" was a poor choice of cliché for that code.  I don't make them, I just drop 'em.  You can quit staring at my bum now spoder.

76561197976108082.pngfs_overall.png

#3719 Amazon DVG Deals   Amazon Official Rep Retailer Representative   4216 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

Amazon DVG Deals

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:15 PM

Is the MP3 bundle a single key? I'm only interested on the season pass.

Multiple keys :).

I'll ask, but I doubt it :(.

Just messing with you Tony ;)

You take your jokes and go home! :).

Cheers,

Tony

Cheers,
Tony - "T-Money"

#3720 Emuaust   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   78 Posts   Joined 2.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:07 PM

Is the Max Payne 3 dlc all multiplayer content?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: knack, 250GB Xbox 360, amazon, pc, 250gb xbox 360