* * * * * 51 votes

Amazon PCDD - Important Update New Community Manager Incoming!

knack 250GB Xbox 360 amazon pc 250gb xbox 360

#9091 MysterD   37 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   23844 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:11 AM

So are the Editor's Choice games going to be heavily discounted before we apply our coupons?

Depends on lots of things - the game, Amazon DVG, and the publisher.

Like the Holiday Sales - the game's prices will vary and Tony will tell us what's on sale at a killer price.

Hopefully, it'll be in a BIG spreadsheet.

And hopefully, Ashes will sort it out. ;)

Sometimes, yes - the deals might be killer; and even more killer after a coupon.

In 2012 -> Total War: Shogun 2 was $2.49; and Civ 5 was $3.99 after coupon.

In 2013 -> Fable Franchise pack (Fable 1: TLC + Fable 3 - Steam-versions) was like $4 after coupon.

You could NOT find prices like that on those games and bundles ANYWHERE else.

Sometimes, the price is a typical sale price - but when you toss in that $5 coupon, it'll beat everybody else by a mile.

Sometimes, the price is horrible - and the coupon will NOT make a deal for you. 

If you buy tons of games - like me, you might use a few of these coupons; for yourself and/or for others.

I don't see the big deal about getting Amazon to price match Steam for every purchase just for a $5 coupon off an unknown game at an unknown price. Especially since Amazon charges tax (for me anyway) and it usually takes awhile for me to get my key. Do we even know if the Editors Choice games will be on sale at ALL, or are we using our $5 coupons on the full price?

This isn't me being a smartass, this is a legitimate question. There's a lot of hype around this sale and I've only seen a few worthwhile things things on sale that haven't been on sale a million times before (or likely to get discounted on Steam anyway).

I might be guessing you weren't here in Jan 2012 + Jan 2013 -> these sales can be killer; especially after the coupon. Especially if you do NOT buy lots of games.

And especially true if there's some big title you missed out on.

And, there's a good chance out there - if you don't need the coupon, someone else might need a coupon. You could wind-up buying w/ your coupon games for them - whether you want to make a deal w/ them (trade, Paypal, whatever); or if you want to be nice so just gift someone a game/give them a Steam-key.

#9092 AmateurGamesGuy  

AmateurGamesGuy

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:25 AM

Hi Tony, is there a sale on the cards for Bioware points of Dragon Age 2/ Mass Effect 3 DLCs? Thanks!

#9093 Motoki   Big Fish Grandma CAGiversary!   16774 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:02 AM

You don't know Jack pack on Steam problem solved. It's $5 on Steam now. Sorry Amazon.

#9094 Dreamweaver7   Valar Morghulis CAGiversary!   348 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Dreamweaver7

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:07 AM

You don't know Jack pack on Steam problem solved. It's $5 on Steam now. Sorry Amazon.

Yeah, too bad lost sale for Tony, and we don't get the EC credit. Oh well.

#9095 Shifty Effect   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1128 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Shifty Effect

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:20 AM

Hi Tony, is there a sale on the cards for Bioware points of Dragon Age 2/ Mass Effect 3 DLCs? Thanks!

You read my mind, been wanting to get dragon age 2 for pc, but EA makes it tough with the DLC. I would love to know.

#9096 Sepioth   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   802 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:21 AM

Just came here to say same thing .. as much as I like Tony and would by from Amazon .. the lack of Steam keys was the issue ..

Wonder why Tony could never get the keys yet Humble did.

#9097 Neuro5i5   pʎslǝxıɔ CAGiversary!   10366 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:27 AM

Just came here to say same thing .. as much as I like Tony and would by from Amazon .. the lack of Steam keys was the issue ..

Rhode Island stole them.

#9098 Sepioth   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   802 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:29 AM

No they stole the Amalur keys ...

#9099 MysterD   37 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   23844 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:43 AM

I guess this time for y'all Steam-fans - Amazon Don't Know Jack! ;)

I already bought YDKJ 9-pack (DRM-FREE version) from ADVG other day and added them as Non-Steam games, so....doesn't effect me.

{shrug}

I do that a lot w/ Non-Steam games.

#9100 tfr   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   457 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:23 AM

It may sound stupid, but is buying those $0 games going to give you $5 credit?

or buy a bunch of http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B00C7ANHX8/, and profit?

#9101 Detruire   Would have finished the dark skin first CAGiversary!   5359 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:27 AM

It may sound stupid, but is buying those $0 games going to give you $5 credit?

or buy a bunch of http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B00C7ANHX8/, and profit?

"Buying" $0 games (or $0.01 demos) won't work, but buying that DLC will.

#9102 delta75229   Read the fine prints! CAGiversary!   115 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

delta75229

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:54 AM

Does anyone know whether Age of Empires II HD + The Forgotten Expansion will be pricematch to steam $7.49 price point? The steam deals end in about 14 hours so I don't know if I should still wait for amazon to pricematch

#9103 provdog2611  

provdog2611

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:58 AM

They probably had already promised the keys to Steam?  Don't know.

I guess this time for y'all Steam-fans - Amazon Don't Know Jack! ;)

I already bought YDKJ 9-pack (DRM-FREE version) from ADVG other day and added them as Non-Steam games, so....doesn't effect me.

{shrug}

I do that a lot w/ Non-Steam games.

I agree with you for the most part... I have games spread across all forms of DRM and distributors.  It really doesn't matter to me whether something is Steam, UPlay, Origin, DRM-free or whatever.  In this case, however, I can see why having it on Steam could be a benefit.  Down the road, Steam games will be able to be streamed to Steam-boxes and YDKJ is a very console/family-room game. I wonder if the non-Steam games will be as easily streamed to a Steam-box once that gets implemented.

#9104 zombiemakermx   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   412 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

zombiemakermx

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:03 AM

Does anyone know whether Age of Empires II HD + The Forgotten Expansion will be pricematch to steam $7.49 price point? http://store.steampo....com/sub/33961/

I doubt so :/ Tony doesnt comment anything about it and also Amazon already pricematched Shadow Warrior before than AOEII, but theres a little hope because maybe Tony will bring us an update on Microsoft games

#9105 cskcsk   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   27 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:21 AM

Are there any stand out deals today?

#9106 LN3000   Companion Cube CAGiversary!   841 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:32 AM

Sorry, let me unleash my Scrooge voice here for a bit.

The whole "EC" list and coupons always felt rather lame to me. The deals aren't usually that great, and the best deals tend to get "fixed" rather quickly. 

Keep in mind, that the prices are going to be set with the "coupon" in mind, so you're only going to get the deal that they're willing to let you get. 

-Scrooge

#9107 pasports31   New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog CAGiversary!   8399 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:37 AM

The whole "EC" list and coupons always felt rather lame to me. The deals aren't usually that great, and the best deals tend to get "fixed" rather quickly. 

Keep in mind, that the prices are going to be set with the "coupon" in mind, so you're only going to get the deal that they're willing to let you get. 

-Scrooge

I have a Pavlovian response in place for when I see you've posted, so when i clicked on the notifications and your icon was next to the amazon thread, I salivated and clicked hastily...this was about the opposite of what I had selfishly hoped for.

#9108 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   10224 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:38 AM

You aren't wrong, and this year I'm sure it'll be a little more lackluster given there's no overlap with the tail end of the Steam sale.  Not going to lie, I intend to game the system and pick up a few crappy DLC, roll the dice, and see what happens.  Also I could have sworn stuff was added to the list by this time last year.  Only 8-9 more days left in the year...

#9109 MysterD   37 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   23844 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:46 AM

-Scrooge

I can't see how it's that lame.

These EC coupons, I probably will find a few killer deals on stuff I missed - and take those.

I'll find a lot of deals offered, I'll just pass on - since I buy TONS of games and might own these already; or I might find a deal I don't think is that good.

This sounds like most sales for me, anyways.

And I'll probably make deals w/ others who want me to buy something for them w/ the coupon.

{Shoulder shrug}

#9110 provdog2611  

provdog2611

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:47 AM

-Scrooge

Agreed.  The 1st year was the best... when you could actually get quality games for the $5 coupon and no (or very little) additional money.

#9111 tfr   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   457 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:47 AM

You aren't wrong, and this year I'm sure it'll be a little more lackluster given there's no overlap with the tail end of the Steam sale.  Not going to lie, I intend to game the system and pick up a few crappy DLC, roll the dice, and see what happens.  Also I could have sworn stuff was added to the list by this time last year.  Only 8-9 more days left in the year...

It was different in the previous years. You could get $5 credits for purchases made in November. Use it during this sale, and get $5 EC for January. No such thing this year.

#9112 hal   Game Hoarder CAGiversary!   5626 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:05 AM

The first year was great and when the second rolled around, it was pretty clear that they didn't want it to work the same way. Prices were higher and the best deals were limited to price glitches and matching mistakes. In many cases, games that had been on sale the previous week were still more expensive with the coupon. There were a handful of great deals, but overall much less exciting. I had a lot of credits left over at the end of the sale and I know others did as well. 

Speaking for myself, I do want to have a few just in case of something extraordinary, but I'm not counting on it. I'd love to be proven wrong come January. If not, I can see the excitement around this promotion dying out this year.

#9113 Master Miguel   Tired CAGiversary!   1220 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Master Miguel

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:13 AM

Matching steam was always the biggest draw of the coupons for me since you could always be assured you'd get those titles for $5 under steam.  Now that that isn't the case and we have no idea what titles will be coupon eligible I'm more likely to grab what I want during the current sales than hope what I'm after will make the cut for January and have bigger price reductions.  I'm gonna keep a couple coupons on hand just in case, but I'm not a fan of not knowing the list in advance and essentially just gambling that what I want will either be there or I'll miss it and have to hold off for a few months until another sale rolls around.

#9114 LN3000   Companion Cube CAGiversary!   841 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:19 AM

The whole point of the EC list is to entice buyers. So it's kind of a cruddy mind-manipulation thing, making people buy stuff in December with the promise of an EC list and discounts, only to then give the same sort of price they normally would +$5.

It's just a way of getting more sales, when you think about it, without really offering any actual benefit. 

Meh, just ignore me, I must just be grumpy today or something.

I appreciate all the work Tony does, and all the awesome deals Amazon provides..

BTW, the You Don't Know Jack bundle pack is on Flash Sale at Steam, for that $5 everyone is craving for.

http://store.steampo....com/sub/33692/

I just bought a gift copy, so who knows, I may give it out here eventually. :P

#9115 r333k0   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   228 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:22 AM

Wow imagine that, a guy buys things in advance with anonymous people on the internet in mind!

All hail LN300!

*fingers start twitching*

#9116 LN3000   Companion Cube CAGiversary!   841 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:28 AM

Sometimes there's deals too good to pass up, even when I already have something. :P 

#9117 Detruire   Would have finished the dark skin first CAGiversary!   5359 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:40 AM

The whole point of the EC list is to entice buyers. So it's kind of a cruddy mind-manipulation thing, making people buy stuff in December with the promise of an EC list and discounts, only to then give the same sort of price they normally would +$5.
It's just a way of getting more sales, when you think about it, without really offering any actual benefit. 

Meh, just ignore me, I must just be grumpy today or something.
I appreciate all the work Tony does, and all the awesome deals Amazon provides..

It's a little bit of a sour point for me, too.

When it was announced the first time around (2011-2012), it was widely bashed since a lot of us thought the deals come Jan would be rubbish. Most of them were, but a few stood out (some free games, others for $1-$3) and a lot of us ran out of codes.

For the second year (2012-2013), a lot of us ended up stocking up on codes expecting similar deals to the first time. That wasn't to be: there were more good deals than the year before, but quite a few weren't as good as the first year's.

For starters, any <=$5 games were disqualified from receiving the EC discount (meaning no free games); then there were a number of deals repeated from the first EC promo... but at a slightly higher cost (a dollar or two more); finally, many of the decent deals were repeated from the Christmas sale - but were $5 cheaper due to the EC coupons (this last point really struck a nerve with me.)

It's also worth noting that some of the better deals (eg: free Hotline Miami, $2.49 Saints Row the Third franchise pack) were due to the games going on sale as Steam dailies and being priced matched.

#9118 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   10224 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:56 AM

I also remember last year there was one dude or a couple of dudes ranting about when the January 'sale' would start.  I think some people got confused that there would, in fact, be a January sale when really all that happens from Amazon's point of view is that the EC coupons become useable and any sales are purely coincidental and/or result from Steam price matches.  I definitely 'overstocked' last year ending up with half a dozen or extra I used to help others buy stuff or just let lapse.  This year I doubt I'll grab more than four and it'll just be from cheap-o DLC as my Steam wallet has been padded with GabeN card money in the interim.

#9119 provdog2611  

provdog2611

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:59 AM

It's a little bit of a sour point for me, too.

When it was announced the first time around (2011-2012), it was widely bashed since a lot of us thought the deals come Jan would be rubbish. Most of them were, but a few stood out (some free games, others for $1-$3) and a lot of us ran out of codes.

For the second year (2012-2013), a lot of us ended up stocking up on codes expecting similar deals to the first time. That wasn't to be: there were more good deals than the year before, but quite a few weren't as good as the first year's.

For starters, any <=$5 games were disqualified from receiving the EC discount (meaning no free games); then there were a number of deals repeated from the first EC promo... but at a slightly higher cost (a dollar or two more); finally, many of the decent deals were repeated from the Christmas sale - but were $5 cheaper due to the EC coupons (this last point really struck a nerve with me.)

It's also worth noting that some of the better deals (eg: free Hotline Miami, $2.49 Saints Row the Third franchise pack) were due to the games going on sale as Steam dailies and being priced matched.

Yeah I can't help but be a little pessimistic this year due to $5 coupons being given out for purchases of $0.60 DLCs.  People here in this forum also introduced my naive ears to the term... coupon mining.  Maybe I'm just setting the bar low in my mind so I'll be more easily impressed?

I'm sure there will be MANY people who will find great deals in January.  However, it'll take a little more oomph for me to bite being the game-hoarder I am.

#9120 sunasun   "The Burger King" CAGiversary!   4635 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:02 AM

Bought it.  

And for the guy asking about Max Payne 3 match, this deal is better

http://www.amazon.co...rds=max payne 3

This bundle includes the following titles: (all Steam Keys)
Max Payne
Max Payne 2 The Fall of Max Payne
Max Payne 3
Max Payne 3 Season Pass
for only $6.99