Target 32GB Wii U Deluxe plus NSMBU -or- Lego City: $349

Would Best Buy price match this? Typically they tend to shut down anything that involves a "Free Item" due to the "bundle/package" clause in the PM policy.

Would be worth trying though. I need to cave and pick one of these up eventually.

Seems like you're better off just waiting for the actual Black Friday.  You'll have more games to choose from and the system will assuredly drop in price by then what with the impending ps4/xbox 1.

well this is effectively a $50 sale. I believe it's tied for the biggest discount the US has seen so far. And not only that, but almost assuredly both games being bundled are ones you would more than likely buy along with the system anyway.

You MIGHT get an extra $50 off around black friday (effectively getting the system itself for $250), it just depends if you view a potential extra $50 worthwhile for waiting. Personally I have 5 retail games (plus a few downloads) for the system already, and between those and my PS3 backlog am perfectly happy with the value of the system. To each their own.

The lowest price I have seen so far for Wii U console + a game combo. Espeically if you are a Target Redcard holder, an extra 5% off. Not a bad deal (good deal I would say ATM).

Thanks, OP

Do you guys think we will see a better bundle cheaper this black friday? I'm tempted to get it but I want to wait

Pretty good deal.  Much better than the garbage games that are usually thrown in as filler.

But you can't always count on a price drop around BF.  Ninty marches to Major Minor's beat ;)

Wouldn't surprise me if they keep the $350 pricepoint but bundle a couple of games, maybe even DL codes (cheapest way to add value).

Do you guys think we will see a better bundle cheaper this black friday? I'm tempted to get it but I want to wait
I would definitely expect so. They'll be up against next-gen consoles and if the software situation doesn't dramatically improve, they will need to pull out all the stops in order for the Wii U to remain relevant.

I've strongly considered picking up a U in a few previous sales, and then I look at the software library again and I always come back to not caring. I'd rather reserve that shelf space for a PS4.

Having bought a U exactly two weeks ago at Best Buy, I figured I'd try a promo match. Only problem is I didn't notice the online only part.
So...

Called Target first to see if they'd match their own offer. They would not match a special bundle like that.

Called Best Buy #1- they asked if I was within the 15 day return policy which I was. Got shot down. Policy says no. I asked if they'd really rather me return the system and buy at Target? The woman apologized but said she couldn't.

Best Buy #2- asked if I was I purchased system within the past 15 days, which I did. They'll do it for me, but I need to go in tonight.

If push came to shove I would've returned it and ordered it on Target with my Red card. Looks like a match will only happen if you bought it within the past 15 days.

I'm tempted on this deal. Too bad it's not for a standard set, don't get me wrong the 32GB Deluxe is a nice model I just hate having glossy black consoles because of the OCD and having fingerprint smudges everywhere. Been looking for a Wii U deal for awhile since I kind of want to play NSMB:U and Nintendo Land.

Would anyone else say this is worth picking up at this pricepoint?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm tempted on this deal. Too bad it's not for a standard set, don't get me wrong the 32GB Deluxe is a nice model I just hate having glossy black consoles because of the OCD and having fingerprint smudges everywhere.
Don't touch the system. :p

Anyways, a Premium Model came out in Japan which may come to America.

Yeah, it does show prints, but after having a white Wii I prefer black.

For anyone on the fence it really is a great system that will make a nice companion system to PS4 or Xbone. I thought they had a killer E3 showing, and that's when I got bitten by the bug and wanted a U.
I'm currently playing ZombiU and it's excellent if you like survival horror where there's a real penalty for death. It's a shame it didn't sell as well as it deserved to.

I'm tempted on this deal. Too bad it's not for a standard set, don't get me wrong the 32GB Deluxe is a nice model I just hate having glossy black consoles because of the OCD and having fingerprint smudges everywhere. Been looking for a Wii U deal for awhile since I kind of want to play NSMB:U and Nintendo Land.

Would anyone else say this is worth picking up at this pricepoint?
Basic set is effectively discontinued. Neither Target nor Best Buy even have the SKU in their systems any more. Actually just checked now and Gamestop doesn't have a new Basic SKU in their system either.

Pretty good deal. Much better than the garbage games that are usually thrown in as filler.

But you can't always count on a price drop around BF. Ninty marches to Major Minor's beat ;)

Wouldn't surprise me if they keep the $350 pricepoint but bundle a couple of games, maybe even DL codes (cheapest way to add value).
Considering New Super Mario Bros U already made a boat load of money with a 70% attach rate and 2.1 million sales I'd say it will be included digitally in a bundle in the future, seeing as it is only a 2GB download.They can simply sell people on the idea of NSLU if they want to keep making money off the game.

I do think they should eliminate the 8GB set altogether and drop 32GB to $299, maybe release a standard Nintendo USB HDD at like 160GB-250GB for $50 (there are 320GB $79 Wii U branded HDDs)

A $299 32GB Wii U with Nintendo Land (disc version) and New Super Mario Bros U (digital copy) this holiday could make some waves. If they really want to get rid of all those 8GB white systems taking up space, I say make a holiday bundle with Wii Fit U (the game disc) and the Balance Board with those 8GB systems for $299, That would get some of the casuals on board

Yeah, it does show prints, but after having a white Wii I prefer black.

For anyone on the fence it really is a great system that will make a nice companion system to PS4 or Xbone. I thought they had a killer E3 showing, and that's when I got bitten by the bug and wanted a U.
I'm currently playing ZombiU and it's excellent if you like survival horror where there's a real penalty for death. It's a shame it didn't sell as well as it deserved to.
i don't get that. They sold 460k copies of Zombi U, a game with a terrible name and mostly Euro/US appeal, so I tthink it sold pretty well taking those into account. I mean, history says that most consoles only sell about 1.3-1.6 million in first 6 months in the United States, so while the Wii U's 1.15 million isn't great, it isn't far off PS3 and no one jumped ship then. almost 500k (likely to pass 500k eventually, if not closer to 700k with a price drop) on a launch console as a brand new IP is pretty damn good if you ask me

If they made $30 off every $60 copy of Zombi U then they likely made around $15 million so far on the game based off 460k sales, and you have to question why they would spend $20-30 million on a brand new IP on a launch Ninty console and not expect things to fall short. The game doesn't have high production values (but i loved it) so I don't understand how they spent nearly as much on it as some bigger, better games like MGS4 (estimated to be around $30-$40 million)

As I said earlier, the Basic set is already effectively discontinued. It doesn't even show up on a lot of major shops inventory systems anymore (like not even a SKU for it).

As for on store shelves, the entire reason I checked the sites was because I noticed that they don't even have spots or stickers for it at the stores any more. Both Best Buy and Target only have stickers for the Deluxe Set. The one Target by me even has NintendoLand in the clearance section (most likely due to the fact that the only Wii U you can currently buy from them comes with the game packed in)

I don't know what ZombiU sold, but UBI Soft did come out and say they didn't even come close to breaking even on it.
Because of ZombiU's poor sales they decided to make Rayman multiplatform, and a ZombiU 2 is definitely not likely.

I'm hoping sales pick up over the holidays as they really have some great stuff hitting. But it's definitely a system you buy for Nintendo's games.

Basic set is effectively discontinued. Neither Target nor Best Buy even have the SKU in their systems any more. Actually just checked now and Gamestop doesn't have a new Basic SKU in their system either.
Didn't even know this. Kinda makes me want to hold off until the Wii U is released in other colors or just purchasing a cheap basic set online. I just remember owning a black DS Lite and it drove me crazy having to deal with the smudges on the system.

I think this is worth getting if you really want a Wii U right now. You could be taking a gamble if you're hoping for a similar deal with, say, Super Mario 3D World packaged in. If there's a price drop this fall, and I sincerely hope there is, then there likely won't be a bundle. But if there's a $50 price drop, then around BF you could perhaps find the Wii U game you want that isn't NSMBU or LEGO City for $50 or less, like Pikmin 3 :)D) or Wonderful 101.

As a side-note, I'd recommend LEGO City over NSMBU, despite the stupidly long load times. I have both and I got 46 very enjoyable hours out of LEGO City, a game I didn't even expect to like since I've never cared much for the LEGO games before, while NSMBU was fine, but the overall enjoyability was less than that of LEGO City. If you want a mild to moderately funny open-world game peppered with secret costumes, trinkets, and even some Nintendo references, get LEGO City. If you're thirsting for another NSMB, get NSMBU.

I made an unrelated purchase at Kmart and got a coupon for 20% back in SYWR points which worked on the 32GB Deluxe Wii U.

So I paid $350+ tax and got 70,000 SYWR points ($70) which is a better value for me because I can use that on anything.

You can get level 5/6 white 8gb Wii U's at Cowboom for 209.99 before new member coupons. Pretty awesome deal if you don't mind used.

I don't know for sure about Ubi's costs but as a former THQ stock holder Incan tell you that THQ's CEO said on a conference call that their games needed to sell 2 million copies to break even. Given the kinds of games Ubi makes, if I had to guess I'd say their break even is about the same. It's the reason why so many games that everyone assumed were locked in exclusives went multiplatform. I wouldn't even be all that surprised if ZomiU shows up on other platforms at some point.

I would definitely expect so. They'll be up against next-gen consoles and if the software situation doesn't dramatically improve, they will need to pull out all the stops in order for the Wii U to remain relevant.
This.

I fully expect to see a $300 Deluxe bundle w/ game this holiday season, and if so, I am in.

Until then, I have a PS4 pre-ordered on Amazon, regardless.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are only five games that I want from the currently released and announced list yet I want this for some reason.  I have issues.

Personally, I'm wanting a Super Luigi U bundle  :bouncy: I will however end up getting a Wii U just have to wait for the right bundle/price drop/sale.

Things will only get better if you can wait for the holiday that is now 4ish months away. Nintendo is not going to sit on their hands when the PS4 and XB1 release, they will have better promotions I'd imagine. A $50 discount *AND* a free game is not out of the question. How long are you willing to wait?

Things will only get better if you can wait for the holiday that is now 4ish months away. Nintendo is not going to sit on their hands when the PS4 and XB1 release, they will have better promotions I'd imagine. A $50 discount *AND* a free game is not out of the question. How long are you willing to wait?
Wii U is just such an unappealing console; the gamepad really disrupts gameplay by forcing you to shift attention back and forth constantly (TV to gamepad, back and forth). Seems like Nintendo is just trying to be different to set themselves apart from the other consoles. Had they made a much stronger console and offered the gamepad as just an option, I might have been interested. As it stands now, I can wait for the system to go on clearance in the next year or two, maybe $150 or less.

This is very tempting. $300 was the price I was willing to pay for Wii U, but I wanted a game with it. To me, this would be like getting Nintendoland and another game for $25 each.

Not bad.

Wii U is just such an unappealing console; the gamepad really disrupts gameplay by forcing you to shift attention back and forth constantly (TV to gamepad, back and forth). Seems like Nintendo is just trying to be different to set themselves apart from the other consoles. Had they made a much stronger console and offered the gamepad as just an option, I might have been interested. As it stands now, I can wait for the system to go on clearance in the next year or two, maybe $150 or less.
Have you spent real time with the actual gamepad, or are you just stating something you assume considering you don't have a Wii U?
A big feature of the gamepad is off screen play which in itself is really cool. The screen on the pad is also quite handy for viewing maps, or selecting a route to take, or choosing a weapon. It's not distracting at all, and more convenient than having to pause a game and fiddle with inventory, maps, etc. and don't hold your breath for a clearance sale. The U isn't going anywhere, and will continue to be home to Nintendo's lineup of solid franchises.

Wii U is just such an unappealing console; the gamepad really disrupts gameplay by forcing you to shift attention back and forth constantly (TV to gamepad, back and forth).
Meh... to each his own.

The gamepad is no more disruptive than hitting the start button to bring up a menu. And so far, I've found it to be much more helpful than I thought it would be. The always-on map and menu navigation in Batman AC made that game a much more enjoyable experience for me than it had been on the PS3/360 version

And off-screen play is a god-send.

I forget that I can't walk around with it like a traditional portable (there are times that I go from the upstairs to watch tv on the bigscreen downstairs). At least I found a sweet-spot where I can power up the console (upstairs) and still play off-screen while I'm downstairs

Really, the gamepad will only be bad if it's use is designed poorly and that's something that can be said about any of the consoles or games that get released

Most of the games do not require you to look at both screens that often. And if you want to whine about the gamepad, there is always the option of the Wii U pro controller. The Wii U isn't going anywhere, Nintendo has the best holiday lineup they have had in years. I think the Wii U will do just fine this holiday season, because it is the cheapest, especially if it comes bundled with a game.

People forget that the original 3ds was in similar shape to the Wii U, but look at it now it is crushing the Vita, and has a lot of great games. The PS3 also struggled when it first launched, and it is doing great now. I applaud Nintendo for trying to be different. I know they rehash their first party titles a lot, but at least the majority of their top selling games are not 1st/3rd person shooters with an apocalypse storyline. To me, the Wii U is a breath of fresh air and I am looking forward to Pikmin 3, Donkey Kong, Wonderful 101, and Zelda WW.

Ahh, like clock work,I know you'd come here sooner or later to put down the Wii U in a DEAL thread. Not even a discussion thread, a DEAL thread.

Honestly man, let it go. You don't like it and have no interested in it. Thats fine. No one is making you buy one. Just stop with this every time a deal thread is made for the console.

bread's done
Back