Avermedia Live Gamer Portable (HD Capture Card) - $150 at Amazon (+ Newegg after MIR)

Nice, thanks for the heads-up. I added that to the thread title. Newegg's a better deal for some anyway, since Amazon charges tax in some states that Newegg doesn't. The free 32GB SD Card would just be icing on the cake for those folks.

Great card when it works, pretty much zero lag and has a lot of awesome features (sd card capture). Unfortunately I had one card crap out on me and the replacement had problems with black screens (basically cutting out the signal every time a transition occurred).

Is now REALLY the best time to be buying these? The next gen consoles have their own ability to record gameplay.

Is now REALLY the best time to be buying these? The next gen consoles have their own ability to record gameplay.
They have not gone in detail with their features and from what it looked like (E3 MS with the reveal of Killer Instinct), looked like it will be limited, more like highlights than actual session recording.

Would have gone for this if I did not get an Elgato recently.

Thanks OP! Got one from Amazon, cuz I got credit there, no tax, and have no use for an SD card. I was bummed I missed their 10% off July 4th sale, but this one is way better, ~16+% discount. :)

They have not gone in detail with their features and from what it looked like (E3 MS with the reveal of Killer Instinct), looked like it will be limited, more like highlights than actual session recording.
Yeah, details haven't been released, but from everything they've said and demo-ed so far, pretty sure you can only upload short clips. If you wanted to record entire gamplays, you still need a capture device/card. I plan to keep my 360 for a while so I'm going with this.

Last edited by a moderator:
These are still useful for all previous consoles..and a lot of life is left in current gen fighting games which are one of the main console games streamed.

Just a warning to take advantage of the recording directly to SD card feature you will need at least a class 10 SD card.
It's also probably worth noting that while this is one of the coolest features of the device, the maximum quality it can record while outside PC Mode is 720p at 16Mbps. That's down from 1080p at 60Mbps while in PC Mode.

It's also probably worth noting that while this is one of the coolest features of the device, the maximum quality it can record while outside PC Mode is 720p at 16Mbps. That's down from 1080p at 60Mbps while in PC Mode.
Yeah, plus I think this model can only capture PS3 at a max of 720p anyway.

Anyone here know how much space a regular game session will take up on an SD card/external hd?

Yeah, plus I think this model can only capture PS3 at a max of 720p anyway.

Anyone here know how much space a regular game session will take up on an SD card/external hd?
Are you sure you're not thinking of the Hauppauge HD PVR 2? I haven't read anything to indicate the LGP can't capture/stream PS3 footage at 1080p. Mine is supposed to arrive in the mail tomorrow, so I'll try it out and post back with details when I get the chance.

As for your question, I imagine it depends on both the quality you save the video at AND your definition of what a "regular game session" is. I recorded a 2 hour HD video with my Hauppauge the other day and it was 8 GB, but I have no way of determining what the Mbps on it was like. With the 16 Mbps the LGP locks you into outside PC Mode, I imagine it'll take up less space than that.

This is from the most popular review for the device on Amazon:

"Full 1080p XBOX 360 & Nintendo Wii U recording. PS3 limited to 720p via an included dedicated cable due to HDCP protection."
720p isn't a dealbreaker for me since no console games are true 1080p, but the youtube tutorials for the PS3 seem a bit of a hassle because of the constant reconfiguration of the video ins and outs.

Still interested in this because I'm in between rigs and the PC-free mode is really appealing. Please post some sample vids once you get yours if you can, dude.

Release note for firmware v7:

"PC-Free mode now support [sic] 1080p / 16Mbps."

Also, this isn't a card. It's an external device.

Newegg has had it more than once for $120 AR.

bread's done
Back