* * * - - 41 votes

Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

#691 Jimbo Slice   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7383 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Jimbo Slice

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:45 AM

It would be great if we got something bundled with our console.

Halo 2 HD...??? A man can dream - right?

#692 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2643 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:48 AM

I don't know how you can say it is not like Arkham when you haven't played Ryse...

It's always safer to assume that a game will be disappointing. This is doubly true for launch-exclusive software. You will be much safer assuming that Ryse will be disappointing.

What usually happens with this sort of title is that it gets a bit of a critical boost from launch excitement, and then ages very poorly. In another year or two it is held up as an example of typical sub-par launch titles. (Genji, Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, etc...)

I could be wrong. It might end up being really great. But when I see flashy graphics wrapped around a glorified quick-time-fest it throws up some red flags. A game that is a technical show-pony but extremely light on gameplay is typical of launch-exclusive software.

#693 TimboSliceGB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5985 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

TimboSliceGB

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:55 AM

We get it WV, the Xbox One is the greatest console of all time.

last i checkedthis is the xbox one topic 

#694 TimboSliceGB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5985 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

TimboSliceGB

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:58 AM

FIFA 14 apparently will be bundled with X1 in Europe. Pretty huge especially in that market.

that is huge that's one of the best selling game in that area even if it's a sports game it sells big.

#695 chubbyninja1319   Where's my stuff!? CAGiversary!   5405 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

chubbyninja1319

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:23 AM

I really hope the game bundle comes to the U.S. and other territories.  I don't want Fifa, but something like ACIV or Battlefield 4 would be pretty cool.  Honestly, I think Ryse looks interesting so I wouldn't mind if that was the pack-in. 

#696 gotdott   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2480 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:07 AM

It's always safer to assume that a game will be disappointing. This is doubly true for launch-exclusive software. You will be much safer assuming that Ryse will be disappointing.

What usually happens with this sort of title is that it gets a bit of a critical boost from launch excitement, and then ages very poorly. In another year or two it is held up as an example of typical sub-par launch titles. (Genji, Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, etc...)

I could be wrong. It might end up being really great. But when I see flashy graphics wrapped around a glorified quick-time-fest it throws up some red flags. A game that is a technical show-pony but extremely light on gameplay is typical of launch-exclusive software.

hey i loved asura's wrath and it changed my mind about glorified quick-time-fests so who knows

#697 Erad30   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2320 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:01 AM

Gamescom: Ubisoft Announces The Fighter Within Xbox One exclusive “delivers the long awaited motion fighting promise.”
by Andrew Goldfarb
August 20, 2013

Ubisoft has announced The Fighter Within, a new Xbox One fighting game that uses Kinect.

The Fighter Within is developed by Daoka and Ubisoft says it “delivers the long awaited motion fighting promise, allowing players to throw punches and kicks in the most immersive competitive brawling experience.”

Ubisoft promises “1 to 1 precision movement tracking” for fighting moves plus real-time damage to fighters in-game. The Fighter Within will support local multiplayer via Kinect and is due to hit Xbox One in Fall 2013.

Keep checking back to IGN for more on The Fighter Within (including hands-on impressions) very soon

-This could be an excellent showcase title for Kinect 2.0 if it's actually good. I'm surprised it's only local MP though, MS has really seemed to de-emphasize that this last generation. Or is it not really possible to do online MP with Kinect? I honestly don't know.

Couple more things-Fifa Confirmed as pack in, but only for pre-orders (odd choice IMHO).

Very positive article about Ryse

Fable Legends announced-Granted Fable III & Journey were awful, but my wife absolutely loves these games so soon as this is out is probably when I'll end up buying one because she won't stop bugging me about it.

PEGGLE 2 TIMED EXCLUSIVE!!!

tumblr_mo736tq7VD1qf31e7o1_500.gif

In better timed exclusive news: Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare is also a timed exclusive, and that does look really fun,

Xbox One idie publishing plan-They claim it'll be better than the program or 360, but indies still have to register, apply and obviously be approved. That's bound to be extra hassle that some won't bother with,

#698 kcobra22  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

Ok here's the gamescom news so far...

"In Europe this Holiday: All pre-orders of #XboxOne will include a copy of FIFA 14 (while stock lasts) #Xboxgamescom"

"@CallofDuty Ghosts will have dedicated servers on #XboxOne #Gamescom"

"The next @MojangTeam title ‘Cobalt’ is coming to Xbox 360 and #XboxOne #Gamescom"

"Peggle 2 is an Xbox One Launch title and PvZ Garden Warfare coming in 2014 - both are coming first to Xbox One"

"Xbox Independent Games will have access Xbox One - Kinect, SmartGlass, Xbox Live, rich analytics, cloud"

"Xbox Independent Games program will have no Fees: no certification, no activation"

-Major Nelson

IGN put up a new article on Ryse, saying not to worry about it...here's a quote from the article:

"After a hands-on with the latest build on the eve of Gamescom, however, I have good news: there's no need to worry about Ryse: Son of Rome. The combat has plenty of depth, and the AI is aggressive enough that you'll be challenged plenty. Oh, and QTEs are merely optional finishing moves, with the giant button prompt over a foe's head replaced by a subtle colored outline around the not-long-for-this-world bad guy that corresponds to the button you're supposed to press in order to nail the best execution."

#699 Erad30   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2320 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:52 AM

Confirmed Launch List:

• Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag (Ubisoft, Ubisoft)
  • Battlefield 4 (DICE, Electronic Arts)
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts (Infinity Ward, Activision)
  • Crimson Dragon (Grounding/Land Ho!, Microsoft Studios)
  • Dead Rising 3 (Capcom Vancouver, Microsoft)
  • FIFA 14 (EA Sports, Electronic Arts)
  • Fighter Within (AMA Ltd., Ubisoft)
  • Forza Motorsport 5 (Turn 10 Studios, Microsoft Studios)
  • Just Dance 2014 (Ubisoft Paris, Ubisoft)
  • Killer Instinct (Double Helix, Microsoft Studios)
  • LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (TT Games, Warner Bros. Interactive)
  • Lococycle (Twisted Pixel, Microsoft Studios)
  • Madden NFL 25 (EA Sports, Electronic Arts)
  • NBA 2K14 (Visual Concepts, 2K Sports)
  • NBA LIVE 14 (EA Sports, Electronic Arts)
  • Need for Speed: Rivals (Ghost Games, Electronic Arts)
  • Peggle 2 (Popcap, Electronic Arts)
  • Powerstar Golf (Zoe Mode, Microsoft Studios)
  • Ryse: Son of Rome (Crytek, Microsoft Studios)
  • Skylanders: Swap Force (Vicarious Visions, Activision)
  • Watch Dogs (Ubisoft Montreal, Ubisoft)
  • Zoo Tycoon (Frontier Developments Ltd., Microsoft Studios)
  • Zumba Fitness: World Party (Zoë Mode, Majesco)

-I'm surprised Crimson Dragon is a launch title, I was excited by the concept but it looked like it needed plenty of work at E3. Not much else noteworthy that wasn't already known about.

#700 kcobra22  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:17 AM

More good news for Project Spark...looks like you can use Kinect to mocap new animations into the game.

" Players can capture facial animations, body motion and voice and sound to create custom character animations, dialog or even cinematic cut scenes."

#701 doubledown   Funky Daddy CAGiversary!   11758 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:25 AM

I wonder if the US will get anything.  Madden possibly if they follow the FIFA route, but probably a big fat nothing.

I hope so though, the PS4 is giving away Drive Club

#702 WV Matsui  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:27 AM

Here's the Ryse article

http://m.ign.com/art...yse-son-of-rome

And here is an article and video for the MP and it looks amazing

http://news.xbox.com...8/gamescom-ryse

Always on Fable Legends

http://m.oxm.co.uk/6...-always-online/

Guess for a release date would be Nov 22 since it is the latest launch title. We shall see.

#703 Blaster man  

Blaster man

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:41 AM

Hey WV, tell your task masters back at MS HQ that I will switch to an X1 preorder if they give us a game free too. Talk about getting the shaft just because the US population is "a given" so to speak.

#704 Erad30   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2320 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:43 AM

The Division has Xbox One exclusive content after all

Microsoft has announced at its Gamescom press conference that The Division will receive exclusive content on Xbox One “before and after” the game’s launch. The news comes only a week after game director Ryan Howard said there would be no unique features for any particular version.

20130618_the_division.jpg

The online third-person tactical shooter is in development at Ubisoft Massive for Xbox One, PS4, and, as was also just announced, PC. There’s no word on what the exclusive content will be, nor whether it will be timed DLC or entirely unique features.

This goes against what we reported last week, when Ryan Bernard told OXM when asked about the possibility of exclusive content. He said: “Currently, right now, because we’re releasing for both platforms, we want the best game experience for both. We’re not planning specific content or specific unique, I guess, elements for either platform.

“We have a long development cycle, and who knows what will happen by the time the game’s released? But at the time, currently we’re not planning anything unique.”

It seems that a lot can change in a week.

Thanks, CVG.

#705 WV Matsui  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:52 AM

Hey WV, tell your task masters back at MS HQ that I will switch to an X1 preorder if they give us a game free too. Talk about getting the shaft just because the US population is "a given" so to speak.

"We're only talking about EMEA today, we'll have information on other regions later. We're only talking Europe here."

#706 Erad30   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2320 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:59 AM

Ok, so let's really breakdown the launch list here in terms of exclusives that you can only get on Xbox One, the list is more like:

• Crimson Dragon (Grounding/Land Ho!, Microsoft Studios)
  • Dead Rising 3 (Capcom Vancouver, Microsoft)
  • Fighter Within (AMA Ltd., Ubisoft)
  • Forza Motorsport 5 (Turn 10 Studios, Microsoft Studios)
  • Lococycle (Twisted Pixel, Microsoft Studios)
  • Peggle 2 (Popcap, Electronic Arts)
  • Powerstar Golf (Zoe Mode, Microsoft Studios)
  • Ryse: Son of Rome (Crytek, Microsoft Studios)
  • Zoo Tycoon (Frontier Developments Ltd., Microsoft Studios)

I will say right now that seems like a stronger launch lineup than the PS4, though nothing that personally interests me enough to buy the system. We'll have to see what Sony brings at their Gamescom conference, which is in about 2 hours I believe.

#707 WV Matsui  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:01 PM

It's definitely a strong list

Sony goes at 1 pm

#708 Erad30   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2320 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:03 PM

Ah my bad EA's conference is in about 2 hours.

#709 MildObstruction   then let my “insanity” be the mother of my betrayal CAGiversary!   16707 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

MildObstruction

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:10 PM

More good news for Project Spark...looks like you can use Kinect to mocap new animations into the game.

" Players can capture facial animations, body motion and voice and sound to create custom character animations, dialog or even cinematic cut scenes."

that's the craziest thing I've ever heard

#710 Erad30   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2320 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:18 PM

"We're only talking about EMEA today, we'll have information on other regions later. We're only talking Europe here."

If they want to try and sell Kinect's gaming potential Fighter Within would be an interesting idea but risky, given public opinion is very against Kinect at this point. If they could get Dead Rising 3 as a pack in, that'd be big.

#711 WV Matsui  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:22 PM

If they want to try and sell Kinect's gaming potential Fighter Within would be an interesting idea but risky, given public opinion is very against Kinect at this point. If they could get Dead Rising 3 as a pack in, that'd be big.

DR3 would be huge.

My guess is if they do a packin game for the US it will be Madden to tout the new partnership etc.

Kinect Sports Rivals looks really strong. I can't wait to play this in the spring!

#712 KillerRamen   OMG Lilac PSP! CAGiversary!   3649 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:32 PM

that's the craziest thing I've ever heard

It's actually very doable. Everquest II does facial animations and voice right now. It will be interesting to see how they do it with a wider viewing angle and what body capture looks like.

#713 Erad30   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2320 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:12 PM

Kinect Sports Rivals looks really strong. I can't wait to play this in the spring!

I just don't think it will be that fun playing things like Tennis without a racket to hold, and the wave racing is similar in that there is no handles to grip (and what do you even do to flip? Will that feel natural at all?). Again same with bowling. You need some sense of weight. Wall climbing is ridiculous. This isn't even a question of accuracy, it's poor concept. You know how many godammn bits of worthless plastic were sold on the Wii as meaningless accessories such as the Wii Wheel which literally does nothing but snap onto the Wii remote? It's because people need to feel something when they are doing virtually every activity shown in that video. It doesn't work when you are using your hands for what in some cases is completely unrealistic motions (see wall climbing) and nothing else. We aren't wired that way.

#714 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2643 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:27 PM

I'm hearing some good news coming out of Gamescom and GDC Europe. I haven't had time to dig through everything yet, but I'll have a little analysis up later. I'm especially interested about this new Indie publishing initiative.

#715 Ryuukishi   My ambitionz az a Ryder CAGiversary!   11166 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:04 PM

I like Minecraft as much as the next guy, but Cobalt is just not impressive to me at all. Feels like so much bandwagon-jumping by Microsoft since 2D and indie stuff is trendy right now. "Let's just throw out any old thing, as long as it's 2D and retro-looking it's sure to impress the nerds."

I'm intrigued by Fable Legends though.

#716 MildObstruction   then let my “insanity” be the mother of my betrayal CAGiversary!   16707 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

MildObstruction

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:16 PM

I'm kinda watching the EA presser in the background right now and until now I hadn't realized that I don't play any EA games.  How weird.

#717 Mako1215   Mr.OneOfWonder Banned   7273 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

Ugh, and the choice of which system to get The Division on has been made harder.

#718 WV Matsui  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:49 PM

This game is going to be so damn good!

• htz likes this

#719 Mako1215   Mr.OneOfWonder Banned   7273 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:52 PM

Is there a Live Stream I can watch somewhere?

#720 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2643 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:55 PM

Well, they haven't released as many details about ID@XBox as I would have wanted. And what they are proposing is still a walled garden, with Microsoft allowing only proven, public game developers in.

At the same time, I must admit that it is an olive branch for the indie development scene, and a step in the right direction. It's also in line with the indie initiatives that Sony and Nintendo have begun. (not completely open, but much more accepting and useful for indies) It has been confirmed that once an indie has qualified and been accepted into this new ID@XBox initiative, they will no longer be under the same publishing restrictions that plagued the 360. The two free dev kits is also a very nice touch.