* * * - - 41 votes

Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

#781 Mako1215   Mr.OneOfWonder Banned   7273 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:32 AM

I don't think the kids that got a $700 iPad are interested in an Xbox One or a PS4....

And why would you say that?

#782 TimboSliceGB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5986 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

TimboSliceGB

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:33 AM

Right but I already brought that up-A smartphone is a powerful portable device that goes with you and serves multiple practical functions. A device that is purely entertainment and is chained to your TV isn't going to be nearly as attractive a proposition. That's been part of the problem with a lot of these next-gen social and streaming features. The consoles and devices we already own can do most of the stuff we care about, why am I paying $400-$500 more for stuff I can already do? Now as a gamer, I can justify buying one because it'll be where the new games are at, but people who are more casual gamers or not big gamers at all already have devices that cover all this stuff.

what does this have to do with kids? yes causal gamers i don't see buying x1 or the other one for awhile but most kids will want one of these things this year and will help the sales after the first hard core wave is done.

#783 Blaster man  

Blaster man

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:45 AM

The kids market has been disrupted by iOS devices. It's not an exaggeration to say that the bottom has fallen out of it. If kids games were still popular then THQ would still be rolling around in cash. They had a lot of kids licenses that made them lots of money for years and prior to bankruptcy they admitted kids games weren't profitable any longer. The Wii U is selling poorly for similar reasons. If they can't sell a Nintendo console for 350 what is going to sell X1/ps4 for even more? Knack? Kinect sports 3? I really doubt it. It's true that people go into debt for Christmas but I think it's inaccurate to say that kids will be anywhere near the majority of people getting one of these consoles. Early adopters are going to buy these things up, especially the X1 which reportidly will have lower quantities available. Why isn't there a kinect-less SKU until next year? Because they'll sell all of these anyway so why not force early adopters who are not price sensitive to buy it?

#784 TimboSliceGB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5986 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

TimboSliceGB

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:47 AM

The kids market has been disrupted by iOS devices. It's not an exaggeration to say that the bottom has fallen out of it. If kids games were still popular then THQ would still be rolling around in cash. They had a lot of kids licenses that made them lots of money for years and prior to bankruptcy they admitted kids games weren't profitable any longer. The Wii U is selling poorly for similar reasons. If they can't sell a Nintendo console for 350 what is going to sell X1/ps4 for even more? Knack? Kinect sports 3? I really doubt it. It's true that people go into debt for Christmas but I think it's inaccurate to say that kids will be anywhere near the majority of people getting one of these consoles. Early adopters are going to buy these things up, especially the X1 which reportidly will have lower quantities available. Why isn't there a kinect-less SKU until next year? Because they'll sell all of these anyway so why not force early adopters who are not price sensitive to buy it?

i see kids as someone 18 and under. i doudt a 16 year old wants to play a hello kitty game

#785 Erad30   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2320 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:51 AM

No but they play angry birds and words with friends all all that other crap.

#786 Blaster man  

Blaster man

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:57 AM

i see kids as someone 18 and under. i doudt a 16 year old wants to play a hello kitty game

Sure under 18 is a kid but when I think of kids I don't think of teens and I would bet that's what others are talking about. I'm sure teens will want a console along with the new iPhone 5S which comes our next month. To be fair though, I would call a 16 year old that only gets a new console and a few games and accessories for Christmas an early adopter.

#787 Central Scrutinizer   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   199 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Central Scrutinizer

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:58 AM

Are people really saying that the kid market is meaningless to consoles?

Funny.  If you check the latest NPD report, the #2 selling retail software disc last month was Minecraft.  Why is an old PC game and a game that's been on Live as a download for a year suddenly leap onto the charts as a disc?  Because parents bought it for their kids.

#788 Blaster man  

Blaster man

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:02 AM

Are people really saying that the kid market is meaningless to consoles?

Funny.  If you check the latest NPD report, the #2 selling retail software disc last month was Minecraft.  Why is an old PC game and a game that's been on Live as a download for a year suddenly leap onto the charts as a disc?  Because parents bought it for their kids.

The licensed kids market fell apart. It's because you can buy a sponge bob game on iPad for $1. Are you implying that the bottom falling out means that no games in that sector would do well? It's common sense that there are outliers with everything so lets not try to create arguments where none exist.

#789 Central Scrutinizer   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   199 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Central Scrutinizer

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:22 AM

The licensed kids market fell apart. It's because you can buy a sponge bob game on iPad for $1. Are you implying that the bottom falling out means that no games in that sector would do well? It's common sense that there are outliers with everything so lets not try to create arguments where none exist.

What on earth are you going on about?  I never said anything about the bottom dropping out of the kids market, and I'm not really sure how that would be relevant to this discussion.

In fact, if the bottom has dropped out of the kids software market, it would only make it more impressive that an older PC game was able to sell so strongly on its first month as a retail console disc.

#790 Blaster man  

Blaster man

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:34 AM

What on earth are you going on about?  I never said anything about the bottom dropping out of the kids market, and I'm not really sure how that would be relevant to this discussion.

In fact, if the bottom has dropped out of the kids software market, it would only make it more impressive that an older PC game was able to sell so strongly on its first month as a retail console disc.

I don't really think minecraft is very comparable to Sponge Bob. My point was that kids that get iPads don't want these consoles. Later others defined "kids" more broadly than I do and included teens. Yes teens will want these consoles but not your average younger kid that has an iPad. I'm not sure how Minecraft is at all related to this unless you think parent are going to buy a new console solely for Minecraft on the new console. If you're trying to discuss why some kids games sell and others can't compete with $1 iPad games then I'd be happy to have that discussion elsewhere but I don't think Minecraft will push either new consoles sales.

#791 Mako1215   Mr.OneOfWonder Banned   7273 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:37 AM

I thought yo u were calling kids 18 under. If you calling kids 8/9 and under then yes you are right. A new console doesn't look good for them.

#792 Blaster man  

Blaster man

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:40 AM

I thought yo u were calling kids 18 under. If you calling kids 8/9 and under then yes you are right. A new console doesn't look good for them.

No I was talking about younger kids. Timbo (BTW my iPhone auto corrects "Timbo" into Rambo) was defining it broadly as anyone under 18. I personally don't consider a teen to be a "kid" in the same way younger kids are. IMO a teen that gets a console for Christmas is an early adopter.

#793 Ashane   CAG in Training CAG Veteran   409 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:00 AM

Looks like Oddworld is back on board the X1 again..

https://twitter.com/...839041367138305

#794 MattZack   Virtue for the virtuous, signaling for others. CAGiversary!   1304 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:00 AM

When I said "kid" I was referring to a baby goat.

#795 WV Matsui  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:12 AM

Yeah, if I was a old man I would definitely spend $500 on a video game console so I can track my favorite team's stats. I mean I wouldn't be able to do that on my tv that I'm watching the game on or my computer. That's for sure.

You are not looking at the whole picture.

The folks who are head of households now grew up gamers. They played Nintendo, SNES, PSX etc.

The X1 gives them a way to sharing gaming with their family and make gaming part of the family experience. You can't have that with a phone or tablet or the other console. With the entertainment features, Kinect etc. you can now make the game console a hub for the family.

To the core this may be a bad thing. But to a late thirties father like myself this is a great benefit and solidifies that I can continue to share gaming with my family and enjoy my games as well.

I would like to say that in the US my demo is bigger than the core demo and that.

#796 Erad30   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2320 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:18 AM

I'm not saying they won't buy it, but I'm saying they are pretty unlikely to buy it at $500, that's just not mass market price. A huge reason for the Wii's success is that it was cheap. Most consoles don't start reaching mainstream success til they drop to whatever the casual sweet spot is. It's debatable what exactly that is, but somewhere between $200-$300 usually seems to be when they really start taking off.

#797 Ashane   CAG in Training CAG Veteran   409 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:25 AM

You are not looking at the whole picture.

The folks who are head of households now grew up gamers. They played Nintendo, SNES, PSX etc.

The X1 gives them a way to sharing gaming with their family and make gaming part of the family experience. You can't have that with a phone or tablet or the other console. With the entertainment features, Kinect etc. you can now make the game console a hub for the family.

To the core this may be a bad thing. But to a late thirties father like myself this is a great benefit and solidifies that I can continue to share gaming with my family and enjoy my games as well.

I would like to say that in the US my demo is bigger than the core demo and that.

That pretty much describes me to a T.

Honestly think that describes a vast majority of gamers, considering the average age is what low 30's now? 

Oh well, sales are all speculation at this point anyway. I think we can all agree that a earlier release gap does give a advantage. What's up for debate is the size of the advantage.

#798 DestroVega   Life is short... stunt it CAGiversary!   7191 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

DestroVega

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:31 AM

The Xbox has regained the momentum. Big swing in Europe with FIFA. Both systems were going to have great launches regardless.

Someone told me very early on there was no way Xbox One would release a day after Call of Duty because of how huge a game it is. That article sort of reaffirms that idea.

Now we gotta see.

#799 Deader2818   Flipadelphia! CAGiversary!   11239 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:34 AM

Ok, I do think its great that you can get Fifa for free when you pre-order an xone but I dont know how huge that will be since you can still buy a ps4 with fifa for 40 bucks less.

#800 Erad30   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2320 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:41 AM

I do think people won't care about $40 if they want Fifa, which in Europe they will. Although the Xbox brand isn't nearly as big in Europe, right? They basically need a pack in like this to stand a decent chance there I think.

#801 Deader2818   Flipadelphia! CAGiversary!   11239 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:44 AM

Like I said, don't get me wrong, its nice since they could not give you anything at all, just doesnt seem as huge as its being made out to be.

#802 Erad30   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2320 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:58 AM

I do think another thing working against both consoles is the tremendous amount of titles that are going to be available on current gen-Casual customer is going to take one look at those games and go, shit I can get 99% of these on something I already own or that's half the price. Yeah they'll look a little prettier on the new consoles, but not $200+ prettier. Hell you can't even play GTA V on those, that'll turn a lot of people away.

#803 DestroVega   Life is short... stunt it CAGiversary!   7191 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

DestroVega

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:59 AM

Like I said, don't get me wrong, its nice since they could not give you anything at all, just doesnt seem as huge as its being made out to be.

It's an incentive to buy. The IGN UK guy was also ecstatic the FUT Legends was Xbox One exclusive.

#804 Blaster man  

Blaster man

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:03 AM

If they have something good out in the US then I would switch my preorder. Unfortunately the US is taken for granted. How bad must preorders in Europe have been? I mean they cut the number of launch countries in half and they still had to throw in a bribe for their 2nd biggest market.

#805 Erad30   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2320 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:05 AM

Well Sony bragged about having over a million pre-orders, MS didn't say how many they had, let's play the leap to conclusions game!

#806 WV Matsui  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:06 AM

If they have something good out in the US then I would switch my preorder. Unfortunately the US is taken for granted. How bad must preorders in Europe have been? I mean they cut the number of launch countries in half and they still had to throw in a bribe for their 2nd biggest market.

We don't know if a game will be included in the US or lot yet.

#807 Erad30   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2320 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:09 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if they included Madden, but Madden's already having issues, it wouldn't be a great pack-in, I was just hearing on the Player One podcast how their first patch will be to fix a bug that makes players invisible. Great start EA...

#808 mr.me   CAGiversary! Silenced   590 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:13 AM

Seriously. WTF does this add besides nothing. I get it that you guys like to see his reaction, but enough is enough.

It could be the way he is incapable of posting without throwing in some kind of asshole remark. I'm not really sure.

#809 WV Matsui  

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:20 AM

Can't wait for this!

#810 TimboSliceGB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5986 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

TimboSliceGB

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:28 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if they included Madden, but Madden's already having issues, it wouldn't be a great pack-in, I was just hearing on the Player One podcast how their first patch will be to fix a bug that makes players invisible. Great start EA...

what do you mean madden is having issues lol k's of people will be line up next monday night at midnight at gamestops all over the u.s to get madden 25 sometimes i shake my head at what you say.