* * * - - 41 votes

Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

#1891 TimboSliceGB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5989 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

TimboSliceGB

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:46 PM

Got an email on my X1 prestige edition. Got the other MS points.

:o

#1892 TimboSliceGB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5989 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

TimboSliceGB

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:47 PM

Apparently the permanent Titanfall exclusivity for Microsoft was a decision not made by the game's developer, Respawn, but by the games publisher, EA. That makes sense. Few, if any developers these days are keen to sign permanent exclusivity deals. Usually you have to purchase the developer outright in order to make such a call as a platform holder. The fractured nature of the market just makes it more advantageous for developers to have their game across as many platforms as possible.

But a publisher would be easier to sway using fat bags of money. And Microsoft has already made it clear that their first priority with the XBox One is partnering up with major game publishers.

Apparently the permanent Titanfall exclusivity for Microsoft was a decision not made by the game's developer, Respawn, but by the games publisher, EA. That makes sense. Few, if any developers these days are keen to sign permanent exclusivity deals. Usually you have to purchase the developer outright in order to make such a call as a platform holder. The fractured nature of the market just makes it more advantageous for developers to have their game across as many platforms as possible.

But a publisher would be easier to sway using fat bags of money. And Microsoft has already made it clear that their first priority with the XBox One is partnering up with major game publishers.

game studios never make those kind of decisions

#1893 DestroVega   Life is short... stunt it CAGiversary!   7191 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

DestroVega

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:55 PM

Got an email on my X1 prestige edition. Got the other MS points.

Got mine also, can't believe we're probably gonna get that deal.

#1894 Mako1215   Mr.OneOfWonder Banned   7273 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:58 PM

I lied actually. 

It was the male/female damn t-shirts.

#1895 TimboSliceGB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5989 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

TimboSliceGB

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:03 AM

i know i got the ms points right away my guess is the email is the pre order stuff you get for pre order the game. Still says i get the ghost gun skins and 12 month live card on 5th.

#1896 Mako1215   Mr.OneOfWonder Banned   7273 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:07 AM

There was MS points, and $5 point voucher we're supposed to get as well. 

I'm waiting on the game,xbl 12mth, and the $5 vouch.

#1897 TimboSliceGB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5989 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

TimboSliceGB

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:25 AM

let me get this right rumor going around that bf4 runs at 720 p on x1 but it's 100 percent cod ghost is native 720 p . No way the 7 year old cod engine can not run 1080 p on x1. The answer to why it's not 1080 p is that iw was too lazy to program for x1 if it's true that it's harder to build games for. sorry had to get that off my chest seeing this kind of garbage has been going on for awhile with devs being lazy but expect us to pay 60 bucks for a game. This same thing happend with ps3 at launch seeing it was harder to build games for and just hope it do't last as long like it did for that system on x1.

#1898 Viva Las Vegas   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1818 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Viva Las Vegas

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:34 AM

I wish Major Nelson or someone would come out and clarify if Xbox One supports MP3 custom soundtracks.

#1899 TimboSliceGB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5989 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

TimboSliceGB

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:17 AM

I wish Major Nelson or someone would come out and clarify if Xbox One supports MP3 custom soundtracks.

i hope it does so many games use in game music like wwe games and other creation type games

#1900 DestroVega   Life is short... stunt it CAGiversary!   7191 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

DestroVega

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:28 AM

I'd be floored if I didn't. This is touted as an "all-in-one media console". Wouldn't make any sense.

#1901 Erad30   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2320 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:33 AM

Damn, I knew the console was huge...

original.jpg

#1902 DestroVega   Life is short... stunt it CAGiversary!   7191 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

DestroVega

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:33 AM

Looks good

#1903 Mako1215   Mr.OneOfWonder Banned   7273 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:03 AM

Wtf, is that a house.

#1904 Corvin   ...of Gilead CAGiversary!   5264 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:30 PM

Hopefully MS will bring out the money bags again for the sequels.

Why?  Some internet epeen competition?  Like I said above, EA choked on this one.  They have the buzz and the hot new title that could have rivaled CoD in sales, but they're now settling for (at best) Halo & Gears* numbers since they cut their user base in half over a moneyhat.  Makes me wonder if they know something about the game we don't.  Maybe hesitant that it could be as good as people expect and think the moneyhat is the easier way to go.  i.e. if it turns out mediocre, the moneyhat was the best decision.

*not that those numbers are bad, but they're nowhere near CoD numbers.

Yes....as I stated in the quote. Those games, even with Rockstar having made them, did not sell as well as another well known Rockstar game that goes by the name of GTA.

Not the same comparison though.  Those are three very different games than GTA.  Titanfall is basically Mech of Duty.  i.e. CoD with a fresh coat of paint and a new name.  

Don't recall the exact wording but I'm 99% sure it's no, because I use it a bunch and remember getting annoyed by the lack of support around e3.  IIRC, you can do custom soundtracks but only through their $10/mo Zune pass.

Wtf, is that a house.

A dumpster for all the unwanted kinects.

#1905 DestroVega   Life is short... stunt it CAGiversary!   7191 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

DestroVega

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:30 PM

A dumpster for all the unwanted kinects.

Wow, you're hilarious. The Tonight Show might be interested in your services.

It's so unwanted the inferior version sold millions as a separate piece of hardware, GTFO.

#1906 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2948 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

It's so unwanted the inferior version sold millions as a separate piece of hardware, GTFO.

It shifted millions, as an accessory for a console that had already sold multiple tens of millions. You know what performed about as well? Wii Fit boards.

Just because Microsoft managed to sell themselves some Kinects doesn't make it the next big thing. While the accessory was able to get some decent traction, the novelty had worn off somewhat, and sales had fallen off somewhat by the time the XBox One was announced. We have yet to see if basing a large chunk of the XBox One around the Kinect is going to work out like they wanted.

If they can just get developers to support it properly, it will have been worth it. If not, it will be an anchor around the neck of the system.

#1907 4thHorseman   The New God CAGiversary!   2469 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

4thHorseman

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:05 PM

Not the same comparison though.  Those are three very different games than GTA.  Titanfall is basically Mech of Duty.  i.e. CoD with a fresh coat of paint and a new name.  

LA Noire and Max Payne, sure. I'll give you those. Red Dead is wild west GTA. And it had a stronger userbase than GTA IV did and still didn't sell as well.

#1908 woodcan   TX Regional CAG VP CAGiversary!   1513 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:29 PM

Wow, came back to CAG after a long hiatus to see if I could find any Xbox One info beyond rumors and find a hostile thread......guess CAG hasn't changed  :twoguns:

#1909 Corvin   ...of Gilead CAGiversary!   5264 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

Butthurt much?  It was a joke.  Lighten up Francis.

Just because Microsoft managed to sell themselves some Kinects doesn't make it the next big thing. While the accessory was able to get some decent traction, the novelty had worn off somewhat, and sales had fallen off somewhat by the time the XBox One was announced. We have yet to see if basing a large chunk of the XBox One around the Kinect is going to work out like they wanted.

Exactly.  How many of those millions of people that bought Kinects were so won over they can't wait to get their hands on K2.0?  10%? 

I have one collecting dust.  Fool me once...

#1910 dmaul1114   Banned Banned   24688 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

dmaul1114

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:56 PM

Yeah I got a kinect for free and promptly sold it. Motion/voice controls can die in a fire.

#1911 Corvin   ...of Gilead CAGiversary!   5264 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:02 PM

Wow, came back to CAG after a long hiatus to see if I could find any Xbox One info beyond rumors and find a hostile thread......guess CAG hasn't changed  :twoguns:

Still mostly rumors, MS is keeping quiet. Titanfall is exclusive (T2 will be multi-plat).  There are some resolution debates for the launch lineup.  Not sure what's actually confirmed though.  

#1912 4thHorseman   The New God CAGiversary!   2469 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

4thHorseman

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:03 PM

Yeah, rumors are fun to talk about. But all it causes is more arguments between people. Not much to solid news to discuss right now.

#1913 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2948 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:21 PM

I have one collecting dust.  Fool me once...

I have a Kinect, and I've already gotten a decent amount of use out of it. Picked up all three Dance Central games at very reasonable prices. Those titles are great as an exercise regimen, they really get the blood pumping.

But not every game could or should be Dance Central. In order for the Kinect to really shine it needs to be utilized in other ways, that really take advantage of what its capable of. And we simply haven't seen that happening from most developers.

I'm still waiting to see a proper voice-controlled trivia game that uses standard controllers for the buzzers. Why haven't they produced a proper Jeopardy game for the Kinect? The Kinect could be great. Instead it's still in gimmick territory.

#1914 DestroVega   Life is short... stunt it CAGiversary!   7191 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

DestroVega

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:00 PM

Butthurt much? It was a joke. Lighten up Francis.

Exactly. How many of those millions of people that bought Kinects were so won over they can't wait to get their hands on K2.0? 10%?

I have one collecting dust. Fool me once...

I understand there are lots of people who don't want Kinect but also lots that do. My opinion is that the new version is better than the novelty of the first. Just my opinion.

#1915 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2948 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:35 PM

I understand there are lots of people who don't want Kinect but also lots that do. My opinion is that the new version is better than the novelty of the first. Just my opinion.

In terms of technicality, I think it is provably better than its predecessor. There is no argument there. The new version of the Kinect is going to be more capable than what came before. What's really important is whether or not that potential is going to be utilized properly.

A big deciding factor for the first few years of the XBox One is going to be how well the Kinect works for voice commands. If they manage to pull that off properly, they will be able to leverage it as a selling point to a very broad audience. That sort of functionality feels like the future. And in many cases it can significantly improve the user experience. We'll know more when the XBox One actually arrives and we start getting first-hand accounts of use cases.

Also, there is the problem that a lot of those features can be easily co-opted by the PS4 for less money. The PS4's Kinect-equivalent is going to be available at launch, will sell for cheaper, and is apparently going to be able to utilize voice commands as well. The challenge for Microsoft is that their solution has to perform better, much better.

#1916 chubbyninja1319   Where's my stuff!? CAGiversary!   5477 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

chubbyninja1319

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:53 PM

I don't regret getting my Kinect, but I wasn't blown away.  I'm indifferent with it's inclusion with the X1 but I understand the persistence that it is included in every box.  To me, the first Kinect was worth it for Fable Journey and Gunstringer, both insanely under-appreciated games that the so-called "hardcore" crowd should have enjoyed.  Beyond that, my kids and I had good times with K-Adventures and the double-fine games.  All in all, I can't complain. 

And in time for Halloween, Haunt is a really cool game that made good use of the Kinect. 

#1917 htz  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:31 PM

What happen to that lady that took over Mattrick's job? We haven't heard or seen from her once and she is suppose to be leading the xbox division...

#1918 crashnburn69   CAG Jedi CAGiversary!   225 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

crashnburn69

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:52 PM

T2 will be multi-plat

Maybe

#1919 TimboSliceGB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5989 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

TimboSliceGB

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:24 PM

What happen to that lady that took over Mattrick's job? We haven't heard or seen from her once and she is suppose to be leading the xbox division...

it takes awhile for most bigger companys for the higher up people to not be fully in the job for awhile. Its possible we see her near launch i would guess would be good way to introduce her. 

#1920 Corvin   ...of Gilead CAGiversary!   5264 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:22 AM

Maybe

True.  Just going on what Vince said, but he was adamant about T1 being on PS4 and EA pulled the rug out.  Could very likely happen again.

In terms of technicality, I think it is provably better than its predecessor. There is no argument there. The new version of the Kinect is going to be more capable than what came before. What's really important is whether or not that potential is going to be utilized properly.

Agreed.  I have no doubt K2.0 will be better but they still haven't given us a reason why it's needed.  Replacing my universal remote isn't a reason, IMO.  It will be great for dance and exercise games, but there are a helluva lot of people that don't give a rats ass about those.  So right now it looks like those uninterested in Kinect can view that extra $100 as a downpayment on Titanfall.