Doctor Who: Series 1-7 Limited Edition Blu-ray Giftset $314.98 Amazon.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

JediJames2

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
911Bu7swbxL._SL1500_.jpg

"For the first time ever, BBC Home Entertainment is collecting the complete new Doctor Who together on Blu-ray plus an amazing assortment of additional items, including the totally unique Doctor Who Universal Remote Control Sonic Screwdriver. The collection includes Series 1-4, featuring Ninth Doctor Christopher Eccleston and Tenth Doctor David Tennant, making their Blu-ray debut in newly remastered versions at full 1080p resolution, plus the David Tennant Specials collection and Series 5-7 featuring Eleventh Doctor Matt Smith, also on 1080p high definition Blu-ray. Catch up with the complete new Doctor Who in high definition just in time for the historic 50th Anniversary Special this fall."

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DYAE2IY/ref=tsm_1_tw_s_dvd_mq3qao

Just saw this on Amazon.  Very pricey at the moment (although if you figure that the screwdriver remote control retails for $100...yeah still too much).  Will be interested in seeing reviews for Series 1-4 on bluray and if they will get an eventual stand alone release.

My God, I am so glad I never bought any of the dads. I never thought they would get a blu ray release. Darn it, why does so much cool stuff have to come out all at once. I can;t afford this the same year the new consoles are launching.

I'm there.  Hopefully a price reduction happens before release.  200-250 sounds a lot better, and the percentage discount is still pretty low.  If it had a similar discount to the last limited gift set, it would go for about 245.  

Amazon and Wal-mart sold the last one for about $175 (crazy prices being asked for it now, though!).  That is about 30% off.  If this got the same discount it would land at the 245-250 mark based on its higher MSRP.  The current discount is pretty low, hopefully because it is a new listing and a bigger discount will be applied later.  That may not be the case, however, as the Doctor Who stuff usually goes for pretty high prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
fuck, now I wish I hadn't bought seasons 5 and 6 already. Didn't think the other seasons would get blu releases.

EDIT: Also, am I reading that right that seasons 5-7 will be in 1080p? The current sets are 1080i, so that could be an interesting change.

My God, I am so glad I never bought any of the dads. I never thought they would get a blu ray release. Darn it, why does so much cool stuff have to come out all at once. I can;t afford this the same year the new consoles are launching.
I bought a dad once... it was awkward to say the least!

Wow, time to sell all my sets ASAP.
Amen, brother

...although, I'm suddenly worried that the David Tennant specials won't be included... but that would just be silly!

EDIT: Nevermind, my eyes suddenly started working and I see that it's visible through the front window of the packaging!

The more I think about this, the more I think I have to wait for a price drop a la the Lost set.  Still have to sell my sets ASAP, though, because I'm definitely picking up 1-4 on blu at the very least.

My other worry (and no one here will care unless I'm about to be pleasantly surprised) is that they'll start re-releasing the original series on blu after announcing even greater advancements in restoration technology.  Those effers love re-releasing stuff.

Dunno about a set, but the Blu-ray sets themselves will surely be released separately. And Best Buy might do another "BBC $20 sale" on one of their Upgrade and Save promos.

I have this set preordered on Amazon, but I'm slightly confused about the 1080p "upgrade"... I'm sure the seasons will look good, but 1080p would mean that the original 25fps would have to be dropped down to 24fps to run on Region A Blu-ray players.

I haven't seen any reviews for the 7th Series set yet, but I hear it's supposedly in 1080p. I'll have to check that out to see how they feel about the apparently slowed down presentation!

EDIT: bluray.com has released their review of the Series 7 Blu-ray and they seem to think that it's only an improvement over the previous 1080i releases... either they didn't notice the slowdown or there's some type of witchcraft going on here!

Got this on preorder. Between this and the Dexter set I'm broke. I hope on the sets drop.   

I may sell the sonic screwdriver remote control, it goes for $99 new......

I'm still wishing for the 8th Doctor's movie to be released on Blu-Ray. AFAIK, it's the only other classic Doctor Who content besides the third Doctor's premiere to be shot entirely on film. And the DVD of the movie sells for way too much in the US, not to mention Britain got a special edition of it that we never did.

If I could get $150 for my Tennant box set, I'd probably nab this. Hell, I'd flip my smith blus too since this would have them I guess, just ugh, so much work.

I'm still wishing for the 8th Doctor's movie to be released on Blu-Ray. AFAIK, it's the only other classic Doctor Who content besides the third Doctor's premiere to be shot entirely on film. And the DVD of the movie sells for way too much in the US, not to mention Britain got a special edition of it that we never did.
It's true: the "Doctor Who Movie" was the only other "classic" Doctor Who to be shot entirely on film and, therefore, the only other story deservingly eligible for a Blu-ray upgrade.

I have to correct you, though: North America ONLY got the Special Edition release of the movie, but it's just a conversion of the PAL version into NTSC format... which is strange considering it was shot at 24fps and could have at least been released in higher quality in its original format (24fps progressive as opposed to interlaced standards conversion) and not with the PAL speedup of the UK release.

I have to correct you, though: North America ONLY got the Special Edition release of the movie, but it's just a conversion of the PAL version into NTSC format... which is strange considering it was shot at 24fps and could have at least been released in higher quality in its original format (24fps progressive as opposed to interlaced standards conversion) and not with the PAL speedup of the UK release.
Interesting about the conversion. But isn't this newer UK version even nicer than ours?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Revisitations-Androzani-Talons-Weng-Chiang/dp/B003ZUXZAE/

I have this on pre-order at Amazon, but not sure if I'll stick with it.

I will need to sell my Doctor Who Limited Edition 1-6 DVD Gift set.  I didn't even get around to opening it.  I only purchased it for seasons 1-4 anyway, since I already had 5,6 and the Specials on BD.

For digital firefly and others, you can import the UK set without the report for about $100 less than the us release. I've done this with quite a few movies when they simply sell for less in the UK, and gotten some great deals.

Usual warnings. 1) Your "TV" needs to be able to display 50hz PAL standard. 2). The set COULD be region locked to Region B. Many aren't, but you never can be 100% sure till launch.

Anyway, for those that can.... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Series-1-7-Boxset-Blu-ray/dp/B00EZ6VZGS?SubscriptionId=AKIAIY4YSQJMFDJATNBA&tag=bluraycom-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00EZ6VZGS&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Unless the US gets a release without the remote... I doubt it. Not for several months anyway. Between the Day of The Doctor in theaters, and people all wanting Seasons1-3 in 1080p, I expect they may have trouble meeting demand.

I've had this set pre-ordered, and been anxious for the release, since I don't own any Who on disc, and was excited about the high quality presentation in Blu.

However, reading a thread on Blu-Ray.com, it's reported that the First 3 Seasons of Who (Eggleston and Tennent), we're not shot in HD (35mm, etc.) as the original director decided it was too expensive. As a result, these episodes can be "enhanced", but will never be proper HD as the source isn't HD. As a result, I've canceled my Amazon.co.uk pre-order, and will wait for reviews and/or price drops before buying.

However, reading a thread on Blu-Ray.com, it's reported that the First 3 Seasons of Who (Eggleston and Tennent), we're not shot in HD (35mm, etc.) as the original director decided it was too expensive. As a result, these episodes can be "enhanced", but will never be proper HD as the source isn't HD. As a result, I've canceled my Amazon.co.uk pre-order, and will wait for reviews and/or price drops before buying.
They were sadly shot in SD. BUT they were mastered at a higher resolution than 480P - 576P, I believe. So upgrading that to 1080i or 1080p, it's going to have more real detail than the US DVDs ever had. If the masters were 480P, there'd be no real upgrade in PQ other than removing compression artifacts, etc. Me, I still want the early seasons on Blu-ray and will replace my DVDs as soon as the individual seasons become available.

Edit: Fixed PAL resolution mistake.

They were sadly shot in SD. BUT they were mastered at a higher resolution than 480P - 540P, I believe. So upgrading that to 1080i or 1080p, it's going to have more real detail than the US DVDs ever had. If the masters were 480P, there'd be no real upgrade in PQ other than removing compression artifacts, etc. Me, I still want the early seasons on Blu-ray and will replace my DVDs as soon as the individual seasons become available.
The PAL standard resolution is 576p, so that's the resolution in which the SD episodes (Series 1-4) are "stuck." Essentially, with the Blu-ray versions, we're getting a picture quality somewhere (almost exactly) between a standard DVD and a 720p television broadcast, but with a higher bitrate.

The reason behind not filming in HD from the beginning was financial in nature: many more manhours would have to go into increasing the level of detail in the sets and the difference in the cost of CG between SD and HD was quite vast at the time. It's a shame most British productions don't automatically start with budgets the size of any old American crap productions!

I like the show but holy smokes that's a lot of money.  The studios are wondering why disc sales are on the decline, maybe because they charge a fortune for them?

I hate when companies release a "complete series" like this and later they make a new one.  Normally that's done with movies so they can resell people the same thing multiple times.  FYI for anyone that doesn't know: after next year this won't be the complete season, you'll have a new Blu Ray season sitting by itself.

http://screenrant.com/doctor-who-season-8-2014/

Well, unless you keep everything in the box, Series 8 won't look out of place anyway. The picture makes it look like the regular cases just stacked on one another, no special packaging.

And nobody who has seen the show believes at all that this is the complete series. For one thing, you still have the previous 30+ years before Nine came around. Plus, like Law & Order and CSI, the show will keep going as long as it makes BBC money. Then there is the ending of Series 7, which was about as anti-series finale as you can get. Finally, BBC already released gift sets back when Tennant finished up as well as after Series 5 and 6, so this is nothing new.

Well, unless you keep everything in the box, Series 8 won't look out of place anyway. The picture makes it look like the regular cases just stacked on one another, no special packaging.

And nobody who has seen the show believes at all that this is the complete series. For one thing, you still have the previous 30+ years before Nine came around. Plus, like Law & Order and CSI, the show will keep going as long as it makes BBC money. Then there is the ending of Series 7, which was about as anti-series finale as you can get. Finally, BBC already released gift sets back when Tennant finished up as well as after Series 5 and 6, so this is nothing new.
Are you seriously complaining that I'm warning people that there will be another season next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back