Soul Sacrifice Questions

tylerh1701

CAGiversary!
Feedback
190 (100%)
So I just got Soul Sacrifice used from Best Buy during their B2G1 free deal last week.  I've never played it, or any sort of monster hunter style game before.

I'm kind of curious how easy to learn the game will be for me?  Are there a ton of stats and attributes that are able to be upgraded, or are there just a few?  And does the game do a good job of explaining the ins and outs of the game to me, or will I be using FAQs online to figure out what half the things in the game do?

I played the demo and enjoyed the gameplay but I'd be lying if I understood 100% what the hell I was doing. So, is it pretty easy to catch on to?

Thanks.

Here's the thing:

There's virtually no main stats for your character to keep track of (I think it's really just health / strength which are influenced by whether or not you lean more towards light or dark).  There's some enhancement type stuff (sigils) that'll amplify cold damage/throw damage/health/etc and that can be a bit overwhelming - I don't mess with that side too much.

It's the offerings (weapons) that have slightly more interesting stats: damage, how many uses before it breaks, and how it behaves (i.e. is it close range, long range charge, long range auto lock on, etc) - there's also movement, healing, buffing, etc offerings but you can worry about that later.  Just play around with things as you get them and you'll find what you like and don't like.  The only other piece of advice is learn the giant monster weaknesses early on (you can look them up pretty easily - there's a wikia site for soul sacrifice).  It really seems that if you use elements that giant monsters are weak to fights go 10x faster.

It's a fun game, just don't worry too much about doing it right.  Play online if you can - it's a big draw for me and I'm not usually a big online proponent.  

Also, depending on how many of the bosses cursed parts you break will also help determine an extra reward. It is usually the same reward, but tiered three times. Obviously breaking the bare minimum will give you the lowest reward tier. (Breaking nothing gets you, well, nothing).

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha you guys are making it sound pretty complex.  I'll jump into it tonight.  I think I'm going to push it to the top of my backlog and play through it since it still retains quite a bit of resell value.  And if I find out the game is not for me, at least I'll find out right away rather than let it devalue on my shelf for months.

As for playing online, I bought the game used and had no idea it required an online pass.  So since it didn't come with an online pass, I don't think I'll be playing much online.

All online passes do is hurt the online community. I tend to doubt that they make much money from them. Hopefully with EA dropping them, others will follow suit.

All online passes do is hurt the online community. I tend to doubt that they make much money from them. Hopefully with EA dropping them, others will follow suit.
This 1000x.

@tyler - ok, maybe it is kinda complicated on paper. in practice most people just stick to a handful of offerings and smash stuff. the available depth vs the required depth is what makes it accessible I think.

sucks about the online pass though, I would've run with you tonight for a while. the mp is really fun (but not $10 extra fun).

Spent about 90 minutes with Soul Sacrifice and so far I'm really liking it.  There's still a lot of blacked out things in my book so I think I still have a lot of features to unlock, but it's not too complex so far.

One quick question, very minor spoilers below if you haven't played:

So I beat the first big boss, Jack O Lantern, and saved him.  I wanted to see if I could fight him again (I could) and this time I sacrificed him.  After sacrificing him I got a special spell that I didn't get when I saved him.  I'm not sure if I got anything when I saved him, but after I beat him the 2nd time, it said something about re-writing my story.  So I assume that means, as far as the lore goes now, I killed him.  Am I correct in this thinking?

Spent about 90 minutes with Soul Sacrifice and so far I'm really liking it. There's still a lot of blacked out things in my book so I think I still have a lot of features to unlock, but it's not too complex so far.

One quick question, very minor spoilers below if you haven't played:

So I beat the first big boss, Jack O Lantern, and saved him. I wanted to see if I could fight him again (I could) and this time I sacrificed him. After sacrificing him I got a special spell that I didn't get when I saved him. I'm not sure if I got anything when I saved him, but after I beat him the 2nd time, it said something about re-writing my story. So I assume that means, as far as the lore goes now, I killed him. Am I correct in this thinking?
Correct. If I remember right the save/sacrifice paths only really change in the avalon pacts (i.e. you get different missions depending on whether you save or sacrifice) - in the main story it's the same all the way through. Or I guess I just assumed that. The stories are actually fun to read as you go.

Yeah I've been paying attention to the story so far.  It's good enough to keep paying attention to for now.

Played for another hours or so.  I'm on the "Several Years Later" pact now and still enjoying it quite a bit, probably because I'm pretty much just smashing through everything right now.  I assume the difficulty level will ramp up here in just a bit.

Biggest complaint about the game so far is the inventory system, specifically the offerings page.  Maybe I need to play with the sorting options a little bit more, but there just aren't enough shown on the screen.  I look to see there's a trophy for acquiring 1000 of them and I just cant even imagine have 200 on that screen at once.  Maybe I'll just start fusing/boosting everything as soon as possible just to keep that screen cleaner.

Also it drives me nuts that the talking books lips are not synced at all with the words.  Minor complaint but drives me nuts every time he starts talking.

bread's done
Back