The Steam Deals + Cards Thread V9 | Torchlight II Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psydero

CAGiversary!
Feedback
117 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V9! I'm your new host, Psydero.
You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Steam Sales on Steam

$6.79

$14.99

Steam Sales Elsewhere on CAG - Updated 11/2

Indie Bundle Threads - Updated 8/26

Free Stuff - Needs Updating

There are quite a few free and free2play games and mods on steam. You can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
This information is taken from the CAG Steam discussion thread. Please visit it to talk about Steam in general and Steam games!

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Steam features

• Play from anywhere: Games you buy on Steam are permanently tied to your account. Download them again on other computers! *See DRM bullet point for exceptions
  • DRM: Most Steam games only use Steam's DRM. If a game uses another form (such as Batman: Arkham Asylum), the store page will say 3rd-Party DRM.
  • Play offline: Most Steam games can be played offline. When an internet connection isn't available, choose to start Steam in Offline Mode.
  • Steam Achievements! Many games have exclusive Achievements that you and your friends can keep track of. Get a Steam card graphic for forum signatures here!
  • Steam Cloud! Many games like Torchlight, offer Cloud support. Your save file is hosted online and accessible from wherever you play the game, so no need to manually transfer it to other computers. Look for the Steam Cloud
    ico_cloud.gif
    image on a game's store page.
  • Automatic patching: Steam automatically downloads updates for your games whenever they are released. If you'd rather patch manually, click on that game's Properties/Update from the Library menu.
  • Friends list: The Steam friends list is also an instant messenger. Text message friends, voice chat, and easily invite friends to most games. You can also see which friends own the same games as you and compare Achievements from the Library menu.
  • Gifting games! You can buy games and then gift them to other people. Wishlists make this easy; maintain your own and view your friends' lists, too.
  • Incredible sales! There is a sale virtually every weekend, Black Friday, during the holidays, and more.
  • Steam Play: Purchase a game once and play it from both Windows and Mac! Look for the Steamplay icon
    platform_steamplay.png
    on games' store pages.

Steam Trading Cards

Here is the current list of all games featured in Valve's Trading Card beta. They can be traded (of course), sold, or crafted into badges to raise your steam level. More details can be found here.

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

CAG Steam Groups
By joining a CheapAssGamer Steam group, you'll be able to find CAGs to play with, participate in group events, and more. This is a list of all known CAG groups. If you start a new group, please PM me with details. Note that while most of these groups are public, the private groups require an invite to join.

FAQ

I bought a retail copy of a game.
OR
I bought a game from another downloadable games provider besides Steam.

Can I download it from Steam without rebuying it?
You can do this for some games (especially those whose retail versions automatically use Steam). Most games don't support the feature though. See the full list here.

How do I add non-Steam games to my Steam library? Why would someone want to do that?
From the Library menu, choose Add a Game and then Add a Non-Steam Game. Select the game's executable file and you'll now be able to launch it directly from Steam. This is a good idea for two reasons. One, launching all of your games from the same place is convenient. Two, when you launch a Non-Steam Game from your Steam library, people on your friends list will be able to see what you're playing.

Why is X game more expensive on Steam than other retailers? Is buying from Steam not a good deal?
Steam generally offers games at their current MSRP. That means if Capcom wants to charge $30 for Street Fighter IV, that will be the regular Steam price. Yes, you might find the retail version on clearance at Target for less. But that's clearance, which you can't expect every other retailer to match. However, Steam has tons of sales which usually beat everyone else's prices.

When are the big Steam sales?
During the big Steam sales, Steam sells multiple games (sometimes hundreds) at large discounts. There is always a sale on Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving) and an extended holiday sale (starting December 24 and lasting until the beginning of January). In 2010 and 2011 there have been extended summer sales too. If you're not in a hurry to play a game and want the best possible price, it's a good idea to wait for these large sales.

Do all Steam games work with controllers?
Just about all PC games can be controlled with mouse and keyboard. But some people are more comfortable with controllers, AKA gamepads, and some games just play better that way. The Xbox 360 controller is the default gamepad for modern PC games. Many games support it, but not all. Most games with controller support have a Controller Enabled graphic
ico_controller.gif
on their store pages. If a game doesn't have that graphic and doesn't mention controller support in its text description, assume it doesn't work with controllers. There is a partial list here. If you'd like to use a controller with a game that doesn't natively support it, the XPadder app works very well.

OP will receive a little TLC in the next day or so. The forum has a few finicky things I need to work through to get everything squared away. MrNinjaSquirrel definitely did a hell of a job.

I know Ninja needed someone to takeover for the OP, but once Wiki comes back there should be no need for any new threads anymore.  I think the only reason we ever did it before was because mod-deleted posts started messing up the page count after a while, but that is no longer the case. 

That said, appreciate it OP!  Hopefully Wiki comes back soon so one person doesn't have to carry the load.  Ninja Squirrel did a hell of a job during the summer sale. 

I know Ninja needed someone to takeover for the OP, but once Wiki comes back there should be no need for any new threads anymore. I think the only reason we ever did it before was because mod-deleted posts started messing up the page count after a while, but that is no longer the case.

That said, appreciate it OP! Hopefully Wiki comes back soon so one person doesn't have to carry the load. Ninja Squirrel did a hell of a job during the summer sale.
Well the old thread was starting to break/becoming really slow, and I thought it was do to being at nearly 13,000 posts. Maybe it was all on my end, but I am glad to let someone else take over. Updating it started giving me a bit of an unwarranted sense of authority, and was rather stressful to be honest, so not having to worry about it for a month or however long this lasts will be a welcome change ^_^

Well the old thread was starting to break/becoming really slow, and I thought it was do to being at nearly 13,000 posts. Maybe it was all on my end, but I am glad to let someone else take over. Updating it started giving me a bit of an unwarranted sense of authority, and was rather stressful to be honest, so not having to worry about it for a month or however long this lasts will be a welcome change ^_^

Yeah, I def. think we need new threads to give the OP a break until wiki comes back. I did notice some... odd things about the old thread... like the last post would repeat sometimes. But TBH this computer is pretty crappy and has issues with other sites so I had assumed it was just the computer, but maybe it was the length of thread? Shame if CAG 3.0 didn't fix that.

Yay! Now that the sale is over I can sell my cards. In case anyone hasn't noticed the price on the steam summer getaway cards have all gone up by quite a bit.

Does anyone know a good place to see if a price drop occurs on Steam?

I wondered why the star had changed to a circle... then it clicked.

EDIT: It's definitely a lot quicker to post a reply in this thread than in the other one.

It's always kind of sad no matter how good or bad the sales are, when coming back to just one daily deal

Yay! Now that the sale is over I can sell my cards. In case anyone hasn't noticed the price on the steam summer getaway cards have all gone up by quite a bit.

Does anyone know a good place to see if a price drop occurs on Steam?
so many sites, but I prefer isthereanydeal.com. I especially like that you can import your wishlist and it will send you emails about a drop in price on steam or anywhere else (a lot faster than the default steam notification). Asheskitty's sig has a lot of others, but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

So, a Steam Sale ends, now we have a new thread - nice.

Only thing that's missing now - so, where's them trolling Steam-sales for Vampire: Bloodlines, Jade Empire, STALKER series, and KOA:R Steam-version?

don't know whether to pick Giana Sisters or not, $3 is a good price for it but I'm worried it will end up in an indie bundle not too long from now.

I started playing UnEpic yesterday, and I just had to mention how great it is. I normally wait till I beat a game before I make any kind of review for it, but damn is this game good. Its a metroidvania-style game with potion crafting, character stat leveling, spellcasting (havent got up to this yet), environmental traps, and diablo-like loot-drops (white, blue, yellow rarity items). The dialogue is very comical and has many references to other common games and movies, like lord of the rings and warcraft 3.

right in the beginning of the game, your character gets possessed by a wraith, but the possession fails, leaving the wraith to just bug you for the rest of the game as an alternate conscience. this leads to plenty of good banter between the wraith and your character. There are save points in the game, just like castlevania games. So, if you die, you will load back to your last save. There are also 4 levels of difficulty. There is multiplayer too, which I havent tried yet. Since the game is Steam Early Access, they are still working on improving the mp. the single player is 100% finished. Also, it has achieves. no cards tho.

TLDR: UNEPIC IS A GREAT GAME!

don't know whether to pick Giana Sisters or not, $3 is a good price for it but I'm worried it will end up in an indie bundle not too long from now.
Do you intend to play it? Then pick it up, great price. If you intend to be a CAG and backlog it, then it will probably hit a bundle this year.

Not sure if this was posted in the old thread already, but Bundlestars just came out with Bundle #10 which offers 10 Steam keys for ~$5, including Afterfall Insanity, which several of us (myself included) were looking at picking up in the Steam sale.  Much better deal here!

http://www.bundlestars.com/

Afterfall Insanity

Galaxy on Fire 2 HD

Air Conflicts: Pacific Carriers

The Journey Down: Chapter 1

Cargo Commander

Disciples 3: Renaissance

Kung Fu Strike: The Warrior's Rise

Dungeons: The Dark Lord

Zeno Clash

Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space

Cargo, Kung Fu, Dungeons, and The Journey Down have all been bundled before, but this is a good chance to pick them up if you missed them.  Afterfall and Galaxy have been in Amazon indie bundles, most of which sold out after a day or so.  $5 for all these is a good deal, methinks.

Not sure if this was posted in the old thread already, but Bundlestars just came out with Bundle #10 which offers 10 Steam keys for ~$5, including Afterfall Insanity, which several of us (myself included) were looking at picking up in the Steam sale. Much better deal here!

Afterfall Insanity

Galaxy on Fire 2 HD

Cargo Commander

Zeno Clash

Cargo, Kung Fu, Dungeons, and The Journey Down have all been bundled before, but this is a good chance to pick them up if you missed them. Afterfall and Galaxy have been in Amazon indie bundles, most of which sold out after a day or so. $5 for all these is a good deal, methinks.
Got it for Zeno Clash. Missed out on GMG having it for like $2 and it didn't go below $5 on the Steam sale.

That is a really great bundle! I already have half of it from other bundles, but will probably grab it for the first two titles. 

Summer card values have been steadily rising on the marketplace, they're all hovering around $0.25 and rising... 

Not sure if this was posted in the old thread already, but Bundlestars just came out with Bundle #10 which offers 10 Steam keys for ~$5, including Afterfall Insanity, which several of us (myself included) were looking at picking up in the Steam sale. Much better deal here!

Afterfall Insanity

Galaxy on Fire 2 HD

Cargo Commander

Zeno Clash

Cargo, Kung Fu, Dungeons, and The Journey Down have all been bundled before, but this is a good chance to pick them up if you missed them. Afterfall and Galaxy have been in Amazon indie bundles, most of which sold out after a day or so. $5 for all these is a good deal, methinks.
That is actually a pretty nice bundle. I'd pick it up if I didn't already own 1/2 of it already from other bundles.

Unless it was announced and I failed to notice it, Giana Sisters has cards now.
Nope, think that's new. Pretty sure I was looking at it earlier, and it didn't have cards then.

Good to know - makes the case for picking it up that much stronger. *still pondering*

Giana Sisters is probably one of the better deals this summer.  Based on the description I'm passing until the eventual indie bundle, but here's to hoping its a sign of more good dailies to come. 

Afterfall Insanity

Galaxy on Fire 2 HD

Cargo Commander

Zeno Clash

I can purchase this in North America also right?

FYI while the concern that it may be in an indie bundle soon is valid, I definitely think Giana is worth $3.  I believe I bought it for 25% off a while back and I absolutely loved it.  I know some people remarked that They Bleed Pixels is a great new platformer (it is), but I kinda like the pacing and challenge of Giana more.  The music and visuals are great but gets repetitive by midgame unfortunately, but thankfully they continue to introduce new platforming mechanics and challenges to the very end.  The game gets pretty difficult but I had that nebulous sense of "hard but not fair."

Great game for the 80% discount :)

Sad the sale is over but I am kinda glad the thread should slow down to a normal pace. Keeping up with it during the sale was tedious at times.

yup sam stopped working for me yesterday too.  However you can manually put in a game ID and that still works fine, so just go to the sites of each game and put in the ID to launch it

Afterfall Insanity

Galaxy on Fire 2 HD

Cargo Commander

Zeno Clash

Thanks for posting this.

So, has anybody out there played Galaxy on Fire 2 HD?

Is it like a Freelancer? or Egosoft's X3 series? Something b/t the two? Or what?

Woo! New thread! There's nothing like a fresh start after a 'dirty' Steam Summer sale.

Thanks for all the time and work you've put in MrNinjaSquirrel.

[quote name="MysterD" post="10928074" timestamp="1374522008"]
Thanks for posting this.

Is it like a Freelancer? or Egosoft's X3 series? Something b/t the two? Or what?[/quote]From what I gathered, it's a brief (ported from mobile) space shooter without a whole lot of depth. I'm on my phone or I would post a link, but try googling "let's play (game name)" That way you can see it in action and get an impression from the person playing.

Thanks for posting this.

Is it like a Freelancer? or Egosoft's X3 series? Something b/t the two? Or what?
I played it for 20 minutes and was bored senseless. It felt shallow, limited, and terribly generic.

If you're buying for something else and this comes as a freebie, knock yourself out. But don't buy the bundle for this game alone. It looks and plays like an iPhone port. (which it might be, I don't keep up with mobile gaming)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back