* * * * * 20 votes

The Steam Deals + Cards Thread V9 | Torchlight II Weekend

gabenfunbux cardz steam steam deals steam cards pc

#7471 spoderman  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:31 AM

Terraria3D, which will be quickly followed up with TerrariaXL, and then the smaller uglier version Terraria2D (which will just be Terraria 1, but by then it will be considered retro and people will rebuy it for their kids).

Why not just skip all of that and call it Terraria 1D.

#7472 MrNinjaSquirrel   Emo Blogger CAGiversary!   12143 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

MrNinjaSquirrel

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:36 AM

Why not just skip all of that and call it Terraria 1D.

2deep4me

(haha get it, digging pun...no...ok then)

#7473 pasports31   New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog CAGiversary!   8834 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:36 AM

Can anyone recommend the older XCom games, or are they not worth it?

#7474 MrNinjaSquirrel   Emo Blogger CAGiversary!   12143 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

MrNinjaSquirrel

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:44 AM

Apparently they are still great strategy games, but extremely difficult ones at that. So depending on your patience, that's likely to determine how much you get out of them.

#7475 pasports31   New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog CAGiversary!   8834 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:47 AM

Apparently they are still great strategy games, but extremely difficult ones at that. So depending on your patience, that's likely to determine how much you get out of them.

Hmmm. I like strategy games, but I'm not the best at them. I'll probably play through EU and if I really need more I can buy the pack next time it's on sale. They'd probably end up in my backlog for who knows how long anyway.

#7476 Detruire   Would have finished the dark skin first CAGiversary!   5440 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:59 AM

http://steamcommunity.com/id/detruire

#7477 Eldredpe   Disconcerted CAGiversary!   2570 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:03 AM

Hmmm. I like strategy games, but I'm not the best at them. I'll probably play through EU and if I really need more I can buy the pack next time it's on sale. They'd probably end up in my backlog for who knows how long anyway.

EU has a lot of content and enough difficulty levels to seriously kick your ass.

It's a lot more accessible than the earlier games, but it isn't necessarily dumbed down. 

Unless you have a nostalgic tie to the original games you're probably fine sticking with EU. 

If you really find yourself loving it and want to see the older stuff in action, the classic pack is on sale all the time for $3.75-$5.00.

#7478 Eldredpe   Disconcerted CAGiversary!   2570 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:12 AM

Maybe it's just the games I play, but I'm used to having the camera follow my back while moving and especially in combat.  And I admit, that I do prefer a wide FOV.  I'll go as wide as possible and stop just short of a fisheye effect.  In addition the camera's been doing weird things on me when something is at my back.  Anytime I've been in combat and I've been attacked on my backside (hehe) the camera wants to zoom in at a weird angle.  I try to turn and attack back, but the subject is out of view, so I'm forced to either roll forward to gain space (assuming there isn't already a threat in front of me) or slooooowly pan the camera either in a direction I can roll or pan to the threat to counter attack.  This is sort of what I mean.

Spoiler

It's not a deal breaker, but it's just another one of those little things.  This game really doesn't have anything terribly wrong with it, but it does have lots of little things keeping the sum from being greater than its parts.

http://steamcommunit...24134056594304/

It's not an easy fix (in fact it looks like a total pain in the ass as you'll probably just have to play around with the values until you hit what you're looking for), but that thread gives instructions on how to tweak the FOV, which if it's bothering you might be useful.

#7479 MIND LINK   FREE DRUGS CAGiversary!   3108 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:22 AM

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/sports/virtua-tennis-4/

Virtua Tennis 4 ($3)

• 20% OFF Voucher
    − $0.74
    GMG20-WS93W-R39MD

#7480 Naked Snake Eyes   What would Snake do? CAGiversary!   6463 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Naked Snake Eyes

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:23 AM

I hadn't truly experienced how crappy DRM can be until I tried playing Batman AA. For some reason I can't get my GFWL account sync'd before playing the game. I can play the game, but can't save my progress.

Not sure if someone mentioned this already but it appears they may be patching GFWL out of Arkham Asylum and Arkham City GOTY editions. This guy has been watching those two games plus Bioshock 2. http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=619976 Unfortunately my Arkham City is not the GOTY edition. :(

#7481 indef  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:36 AM

Virtua Tennis 4 ($3)

Nice, thanks for the heads up.  Used to love this game back on the Dreamcast, Haven't heard many positive things about this version, but it's in my Don't-Really-Give-a-Crap price range.

#7482 MulderYuffie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1204 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

MulderYuffie

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:51 AM

Ikaruga on Steam Greenlight

http://steamcommunit...s/?id=183195387

#7483 travathian   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1910 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

Not sure if someone mentioned this already but it appears they may be patching GFWL out of Arkham Asylum and Arkham City GOTY editions. This guy has been watching those two games plus Bioshock 2. http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=619976 Unfortunately my Arkham City is not the GOTY edition. :(

This is great news. And if more devs/pubs go this route I may be buying a bunch of new games this Winter sale.

#7484 MIND LINK   FREE DRUGS CAGiversary!   3108 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:07 AM

This is great news. And if more devs/pubs go this route I may be buying a bunch of new games this Winter sale.

co-sign

#7485 groz24   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   185 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

I added a bunch of people from the thread.  Picked up Virtua Tennis 4, too, thanks to Mind Link.

#7486 akmgmer   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   999 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:25 AM

Missed the whole adding party but feel free to add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/akmgmer

Also, picked up Virtua Tennis and some Xcom DLC.  I have not played a tennis game for a while and the price was good enough for me.

#7487 Zenaphobe Zerj   Deep Sea Lurker CAGiversary!   625 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Zenaphobe Zerj

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:30 AM

A 2K Humble Bundle would/could/should be incredible! Oh, and speaking of cards, XCOM has them I see *strokes fingers together*

They would sell at least 2K bundles, and at least get 2K in the monies department. The sad thing is, I can see it as GTAV got them plenty of money to roll in.

#7488 juanjava   El ojo en el cielo CAGiversary!   4092 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

That's how they crown their premium buyers (pre-orders and early ones) once again (first was the DLC fiasco. Why can't I buy them anymore? Why GOTY as another entry?). I'll wait until Origins GOTY and then at $5 or less...

#7489 hal   Game Hoarder CAGiversary!   5802 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

Voted without hesitation! I can't understand how Valve decides which titles go through Greenlight. It's freakin' Treasure, man!

#7490 TheLongshot   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2497 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

TheLongshot

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:58 PM

The original and its sequel (Terror From The Deep) are considered classics.  Many who played the original think they are superior to Enemy Unknown, which I don't necessarily disagree with.  Personally, I think there are tradeoffs with both, and while I think they are different games, they are all worth playing.

The rest of the games in the pack are various levels of crap, tho there are some who liked Apocalypse.  Personally, it was a big disappointment at the time.

#7491 Momouchi  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:09 PM

So I went digging through the backlog for a short, fun game after GTA V and found The Cave. It's Double Fine at it's classic hilarity. Basically you explore a talking cave with 3 of the 7 characters at a time. The Cave taunts you when you die, but death has no penalties, you just respawn near the puzzle. Each character has an area with puzzles based on who they are. The knight has a castle with a dragon, the hillbilly has a carnival with games/puzzles etc. It is an easy game, but anyone who likes the visuals and writing of Double Fine should definitely think about playing this when you need a light game to break things up.

#7492 juanjava   El ojo en el cielo CAGiversary!   4092 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:13 PM

The original and its sequel (Terror From The Deep) are considered classics. Many who played the original think they are superior to Enemy Unknown, which I don't necessarily disagree with. Personally, I think there are tradeoffs with both, and while I think they are different games, they are all worth playing.

The rest of the games in the pack are various levels of crap, tho there are some who liked Apocalypse. Personally, it was a big disappointment at the time.

I liked apocalypse :)

#7493 MrNinjaSquirrel   Emo Blogger CAGiversary!   12143 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

MrNinjaSquirrel

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:25 PM

So I went digging through the backlog for a short, fun game after GTA V and found The Cave. It's Double Fine at it's classic hilarity. Basically you explore a talking cave with 3 of the 7 characters at a time. The Cave taunts you when you die, but death has no penalties, you just respawn near the puzzle. Each character has an area with puzzles based on who they are. The knight has a castle with a dragon, the hillbilly has a carnival with games/puzzles etc. It is an easy game, but anyone who likes the visuals and writing of Double Fine should definitely think about playing this when you need a light game to break things up.

I enjoyed The Cave a lot, but became pretty annoyed at having to play it five times minimum to see the different endings :joystick:

#7494 therealdeal19   GIANT ENEMY CRABS!!! CAGiversary!   1113 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

therealdeal19

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

Voted YES as fast as I could find the button! It's crazy that Treasure has to go through the Greenlight process.  :whee:

#7495 facls   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   618 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:55 PM

I enjoyed The Cave a lot, but became pretty annoyed at having to play it five times minimum to see the different endings :joystick:

I really liked The Cave too, but if you set yourself to see all possible endings you'll likely get bored with all the repetition. I gave up after three or four playthroughs. Still, a very worthy game.

#7496 Ltrain23   Luigi Death Stare CAGiversary!   1686 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:58 PM

I really liked The Cave too, but if you set yourself to see all possible endings you'll likely get bored with all the repetition. I gave up after three or four playthroughs. Still, a very worthy game.

So, would it be worth 3 playthroughs, just to see everyone's special area? That was my original plan, until I became sidetracked by Mark of the Ninja.

#7497 mkaliaz   Scurvy Dog CAGiversary!   414 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:03 PM

After the Bioshock 2 update/conversion, its now saying I own Minerva's Den even though I never bought it. Awesome!

#7498 pasports31   New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog CAGiversary!   8834 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:04 PM

With games like this w/multiple endings I wait to replay it later, like w/fallout new vegas I'm going to make different choices next time I play it, sometime next year maybe. If it's a game I don't like enough to replay I just youtube it. No use going through all the trouble replaying the game, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see the different endings.

#7499 pasports31   New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog CAGiversary!   8834 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:05 PM

After the Bioshock 2 update/conversion, its now saying I own Minerva's Den even though I never bought it. Awesome!

Yup, they gave everybody who owned the game all the dlc. You should now also own the protector trials in addition to any other dlc.

#7500 travathian   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1910 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:26 PM

Voted without hesitation! I can't understand how Valve decides which titles go through Greenlight. It's freakin' Treasure, man!

Money. Seriously, the devs for WarZ probably gave Gaben a truckload of money to get that piece of shit game in Steam and on the front page. My assumption is, no money, hit the Greenlight process. And for a 10yo game, why would the publisher pay money to Valve, when they can just wait out the Greenlight process and still make plenty of money.