[Dead]El Gato Game Capture HD - $129.99 @ Amazon (Lightning deal until 6 AM PDT)

Seconded, I've had one since last year and it's great, I've only done a little bit of streaming/youtube video but I mainly got it to capture moments for myself, and it's worked really well for everything I've tried.

PS4 will have this type of feature built in.
No, it won't. For really minor stuff, the built-in functions might be enough, but from what we know about them as of now, you'll still need dedicated hardware to stream a tournament or produce enough content for a busy Youtube channel.

With that being said, does anyone with any experience with the two know how this stacks up to the Avermedia Live Gamer Portable?

No, it won't. For really minor stuff, the built-in functions might be enough, but from what we know about them as of now, you'll still need dedicated hardware to stream a tournament or produce enough content for a busy Youtube channel.

With that being said, does anyone with any experience with the two know how this stacks up to the Avermedia Live Gamer Portable?
why would you need another device to stream a tournament?

ChunLiBarbie said:
PS4 will have this type of feature built in.
Only up to 15 minutes. For big YouTubers that's not long enough and you can not edit like you can in a program like Sony Vegas.

why would you need another device to stream a tournament?
Recording footage, overlays, and switching to player cams/other feeds all come to mind. A stream isn't just a direct feed of whatever's on the console's display at any given time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I received apparently a bad one or something, but the thing was terrible. Really huge file saves. It has to save twice because it has to convert another one to have audio work in Vegas. The customer support was terrible. I ended up saying it was defective so amazon gave me my money back. I have had the HD PVR 2 and it is working great. Also, you can record in 1080p with the HD PVR 2 too. This thing is a joke. I would record my content and have the audio not match up with the video and sometimes it just recorded blackness instead of video. Instead having a hassle of a thing, just buy a HD PVR 2. :)

Take 2... er... 3... 

Not that this will matter to anyone at this point, but maybe down the line for another DOTD/Lightning Deal. 

I have one of these and the original Hauppauge HD PVR for my Core i7 model iMac (upgraded from the EyeTV 250+ and EyeTV HD when I realized I could record HD game footage with them).

The advantage of the original model HD PVR (the component-based one) is that, using EyeTV 3.X software, it has direct A/V and S-Video input (if you're using that), as well as an optical audio-in port. You can customize the rate at which you encode the video and the audio, and record them to a proprietary EyeTV format to then export to dozens of different file types.  It will also output back to your TV through component.   You can run your cable connection and pretty much anything from PS2 up through the 360 on it with component or composite.  (don't have a Dreamcast or Wii U, so I can't try them).   

The Elgato Game Capture HD will also let you use it with EyeTV 3.X software, but you can only choose "1080," "720," "Standard" and "Mobile" preferences for encoding, but have direct brightness/color/contrast/hue correction options that you don't get with the Hauppauge HD PVR.  Cable (at least for me) will not be recordable through HDMI, but it can be over components.    And, again, you can export to all different file types. 

The Elgato Game Capture HD on it's own proprietary Game Capture HD software that you can download from the Elgato website will pretty much let you convert anything to an mp4 file, with adjustable compression and color settings.   Not only last and current gen consoles, but as of earlier this year, Elgato updated the firmware for legacy systems using 240i/480i output, so that consoles like your SNES and Genesis and PS1 and N64 will run on it to.   I even hooked up my Master System 2 and TG16 through co-ax to my DVD/VCR, outputted via composite through splitters (one to the Elgato and one to the TV directly) and it recorded it just fine.   The only issue with this may be that many HDTVs will not recognize a signal lower than 480p through HDMI, thus the need for me to use composite/component splitters to send it to my television that way.   

You can also record audio via mic directly into the recorded gameplay video, and it is set up to sync with your Twitch account and they have recently added some Youtube streaming capabilities.   And you can record cable programs via the component connection (it still won't recognize the updated HDMI standards for blocking the signals). 

Though, there are a few odd things I've noticed about the game capture abilities... the Elgato comes with it's own proprietary PS3 connector cable.  Something in the PS3 (at least the last time I checked) will not allow it to use standard HDMI output without experiencing some issues.  Xbox 360 I have used with both the HDMI and Component cables, and both seem to work perfectly fine.   Both the proprietary PS3 cable and component cables are detachable and plug into an S-video-like serial port on the device (an S-Video wire is not included, but can be ordered separately). 

Also, the legacy systems, when recorded, seem to be cropped around the edges a bit for some unknown reason.   It seems like you're only getting 95% of the video screen with a black border around it, and the imagine is being slightly compressed.  Though, there is also an option to stretch the video in standard mode to make it widescreen by default.

File sizes though... and this is the biggest oddity.   You are given the option of recording as "Source" or not.  I always select to not record as the Source, as I notice it tends to leave me with ginormous files for my legacy systems.   Also, you can record something and if you're recording cable and you change the channel from a 480p to 720p or 1080p source, sometimes the device will automatically end and restart the file, and you sometimes you can record something that is 2 minute long and you end up with a 6.3GB file or something like that.  I'm not sure what is going on there, though the raw file is often re-encoded into an output file upon stopping the recording and will show up briefly in your folder for 30 seconds or so (Elgato recently updated the firmware to help battle the problem.  It has been greatly reduced, but it is far from eradicated). 

I have noticed, however, that when I do get a random obscenely-large file sized video that does not match my other videos and I know it needs to be lower, I drop the video into SimpleMovieX (a free editing program for Mac) and trim away a bit, and it seems to reformat the entire file down to the normal size it should be. 

Outside of that, I haven't had any problems of "recording black" or off-sync audio as the poster above me had.   I really haven't used the mic-to-video feature much, so I can't speak for the prevalence in those types of videos.  But I've yet to encounter any audio issues at all with mine.

Also... both the Elgato and Hauppauge HD PVR let me record VHS footage, too.   If recording with EyeTV software, the Hauppauge looks better overall, but both devices hate video head static and it will distort or scramble the recording if it appears on screen.  (I think this is actually the EyeTV software and not the devices).   The Elgato, however, running on the Game Capture HD software, seems to record pretty much anything I throw at it, tape static and all.  Old recorded game footage.  All the sub-SD crap my bad 80s/90s television connection would throw at me.

Son of a bitch, can't believe I missed it. Still trying to look for a cheap capture card that can replace the old Live Gamer portable I used to have. was waiting for a sale and I can't believe they had one at midnight -_-

And some random crap, if anyone cares.   

I'm not used to the new forum formatting here and the link conversions... so if these video pop-ups are an annoyance or not welcomed here, a mod or whoever can disable them or delete the post entirely if he or she wants. 

Examples of the Hauppauge HD PVR, post-converted to mp4 from EyeTV 3.X:

VHS segment about Arcade Emulation:  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MneNbxFcp8

Rising Zan on PS1, running off PS3: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNNQSjbSz_s

X-Men Arcade from PS3: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWBO6fnFEuY

Halo Reach (Forge) junk on 360: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4ezHBVVzJU

Metroid on Gameboy Player (GCN) using composites:  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43axfIjQl9M

Examples of the Elgato Game Capture HD with proprietary software mp4:

Revenge of the Gator on Super Gameboy from SNES: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfd_kzOFy0s

Alex Kidd from Master System 2's Coaxial-to-VCR/DVD-to-composite (stretched): 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfxNxG94fUA

VHS conversation of Bonk's Adventure stuff: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY-fzdRYlEg

Knife Edge: Nose Gunner (*shrug*) for the N64 (post-edited to 720p as a test):  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn2PsV_DEpE

Example of Elgato Game Capture HD, post-converted to mp4 via EyeTV 3.X

Motor Toon Grand Prix using the PS1 disc on my PS3: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KivuRd5SddU

I give up trying to edit/delete this post at this point. Just delete this post... or, if you want, break out some popcorn and enjoy the show.
I give up trying to edit/delete this post at this point. Just delete this post... or, if you want, break out some popcorn and enjoy the show.
wtf???

Feel free to delete this one if you want.

Or not.

I mean... it's your job to make these decisions, not mine. Who am I to tell you what to delete or what not to delete?

You've always been nice to me, after all. I just... well, I... just didn't want to be on this end of the relationship, is all.

:(

Son of a bitch, can't believe I missed it. Still trying to look for a cheap capture card that can replace the old Live Gamer portable I used to have. was waiting for a sale and I can't believe they had one at midnight -_-
This isn't a card. Also, didn't the Live Gamer Portable come out this year? Isn't it a more recent product than the Elgato (yes, it's one word)?

Only up to 15 minutes. For big YouTubers that's not long enough and you can not edit like you can in a program like Sony Vegas.
Oh. I see.

bread's done
Back