Best website for cataloging my collection?

Josh5890

CAGiversary!
Feedback
87 (100%)
I'm looking for something similar to blu-ray.com, which I use for cataloging my blu-rays. I've tried using CAG but it is terrible for games that aren't this generation, especially in the N64/PS1 era and before that. What do you people use to catalog your video games? I'm just looking for something that is up to date as best as possible.

It's pretty insane that no one has created something like Letterboxd for video games yet. If I had any hint of programming talent I'd be all over that sort of project.

Last edited by a moderator:
I gave up on sites a long time ago. Although I probably won't need it forever as I'm not really collecting or keeping my games anymore I catalog my games with a custom excel spreadsheet. It's separated by console. It totals up all my games. I have what has been finished marked off as well. I started keeping track of the PS Plus stuff I have as well since there has been a lot of games I've gotten in the year or so I've been a member. I agree though it would be nice to have a really good website or app. 

If you've got a phone that does apps, there's one called Video Games Manager made by Sort It Apps. It's not perfect, but I haven't found a very good website for it yet either.

Was just going to ask this question/start a thread myself, so this definitely deserves a bump. Many years ago I had my collection quite extensively catalogued through ign, but I think after the newscorp purchase, several upgrades, me forgetting to log in periodically, I believe my account was deleted for inactivity or something as I can no longer find my ign collection or account. I refuse to go and try and use their site again. Anybody have anything? DVDafficianado (been awhile since I've been there too) was really good for dvds/blu-rays some years ago and would love something simplistic like they used to be.

A phone app for a site that could just read bar codes off boxes would be awesome and speed things up tremendously as well.

A phone app for a site that could just read bar codes off boxes would be awesome and speed things up tremendously as well.
While this would be sweet, I think it a little unrealistic. QR codes would be the only standard you could use for this, and those haven't been around for long enough. There's also the fact that a lot of bare cartridges don't have bar codes.

I do think a type of phone app that could store a copy of your collection data would be really great. With unlimited data plans for mobile becoming more and more scarce, there is value to a phone app that lets you store your collection data locally, and search it quickly.

While this would be sweet, I think it a little unrealistic. QR codes would be the only standard you could use for this, and those haven't been around for long enough. There's also the fact that a lot of bare cartridges don't have bar codes.

I do think a type of phone app that could store a copy of your collection data would be really great. With unlimited data plans for mobile becoming more and more scarce, there is value to a phone app that lets you store your collection data locally, and search it quickly.
Several fitness apps (myfitness for instance) rely only on barcodes for the nutritional information, etc. when you attempt to log the data, so relying on barcodes for this data is not unrealistic. For most cartridge games, yes, you would have to still rely on entering them in manually but if you still had the original box then simply scanning a barcode would be easiest rather then having to wade through results such as system, if the game were part of a disc collection, etc.

Personally from what I've been able to see, unlimited data plans for mobile are actually becoming more popular and available thanks in large part to Sprint (who I have), T-Mobile, several smaller carriers, and just Verizon/ATT just generally fucking up.

Edit: First time using fuck on these new CAG boards, but I'm guessing cheapy still needs to implement the shaq-fu filter, or does he not care any more and won't censor us?

Several fitness apps (myfitness for instance) rely only on barcodes for the nutritional information, etc. when you attempt to log the data, so relying on barcodes for this data is not unrealistic. For most cartridge games, yes, you would have to still rely on entering them in manually but if you still had the original box then simply scanning a barcode would be easiest rather then having to wade through results such as system, if the game were part of a disc collection, etc.
I'm a web programmer by trade, so the evaluation I'm giving is based on how I would actually go about implementing something like this. And a barcode-reading app would be considerably more difficult. Then of course you have the issue with the used game's market itself. These days, its very common for a lot of used games, including disc-based games, to not come with their original cases. If you don't have the original case, you can't scan the barcode. The kind of system you're describing would be much better for adding items to a database, rather than actually searching.

And when it comes to searching, I think implementing voice commands would be even faster/better. And since some mobile API's are actually having voice commands integrated into their standard libraries, it's also much more feasible from a development standpoint.

Adding the option for connecting to an on-line database is fine for those individuals who do have unlimited data plans. But offering the option of backing up a copy of a database to your phone's memory is good for those who don't. An app that offers both options would be the best approach, allowing a greater number of choices to the consumer.

I'm a web programmer by trade, so the evaluation I'm giving is based on how I would actually go about implementing something like this. And a barcode-reading app would be considerably more difficult. Then of course you have the issue with the used game's market itself. These days, its very common for a lot of used games, including disc-based games, to not come with their original cases. If you don't have the original case, you can't scan the barcode. The kind of system you're describing would be much better for adding items to a database, rather than actually searching.

And when it comes to searching, I think implementing voice commands would be even faster/better. And since some mobile API's are actually having voice commands integrated into their standard libraries, it's also much more feasible from a development standpoint.

Adding the option for connecting to an on-line database is fine for those individuals who do have unlimited data plans. But offering the option of backing up a copy of a database to your phone's memory is good for those who don't. An app that offers both options would be the best approach, allowing a greater number of choices to the consumer.
If you could find the games barcode number, wouldn't a scanner be able to just figure it out and look it up from some online database, say amazon or ebay or something of that sort. Even without the barcode, you could have people manually enter the game, manually enter photos i.e. crowdsource the thing. That's essentially what myfitnesspal did for the multitude of nutritional information for food and what people eat, how they eat, how much they eat, work out, etc.

Even without the barcode, you could have people manually enter the game, manually enter photos i.e. crowdsource the thing. That's essentially what myfitnesspal did for the multitude of nutritional information for food and what people eat, how they eat, how much they eat, work out, etc.
I had been considering an approach like this. It is much more economically and technically viable. The primary downside is that the master list would require constant managing. I was thinking about something along those lines. Give the user the ability to add their own titles to the app, while also offering the ability to download or sync a pre-defined list from the web.

It's pretty insane that no one has created something like Letterboxd for video games yet. If I had any hint of programming talent I'd be all over that sort of project.
Sorry for necroposting I guess but now there is. :wave: Even Letterboxd themselves say it's a good alternative (here's a proof 1, 2).

It's called RAWG and it has everything you might need. There's the largest games database (over 280,000 titles), there's your personal library that syncs games from PC, PlayStation, and Xbox automatically, the wishlist, colletctions, the release calendar… So lots of basic features you'd expect plus some fancy stuff like short videos on the front page to discover games or the community feed. I am a developer of RAWG (we are a small team of 10 people) but I use it daily myself as a user and quite proud of what we have done since our beta launch in 2018.

I just use my game collection on android because it's so easy to punch info into my phone. Alot of features and info.
I checked out rawg and it looks really nice.
Would love to see an app for that and some of the features found on my game collection. I like the style of rawg better as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

bread's done
Back