Pokemon Rumble U (Wii U) free Black or White Kyurem with purchase at Gamestop.

Gosha

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I noticed this in store today and figured it would be worth posting.  Gamestop is exclusively giving away either a Black or White Kyurem NFC figure if you purchase the digital code for Pokemon Rumble U in-store.  I guess its the only way to get the Black/White Kyurem figures in the US.  For anyone interested in the game, this is probably the best route to go for getting it.

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/vg_pokemon_rumble_u_gamestop-2013-08-19/

And so it begins....

Figures. Been saving the $20 worth of credit on my WiiU just for this game and now I find out I'm going to have to go to GameStop. Hopefully my friend who is a store manager can hook me up with both. I don't know anyone else with a WiiU or I would just buy two copies and give the other away to a friend. I suppose I could try trading it but I've had very little luck trading.

Last edited by a moderator:
To quote my post about Disney Infinity, "I hope this fails". This is bad for gamers. These games (all three of them) take the free to play model and then charge you for the game as well as the new areas that get unlocked. How many of these games can the market support? Is this going to be like MMO's where one company's massive success gets dozens of others into the game only to see their product lines failing?

With the Wii U's small install base and Disney Infinity on the same console, is it at all likely this will be a huge success?

Pokemon figures are *extremely* collectible regardless of its fuctionality (see: Pokemon Battrio)
I can see it now, the future collections of Pokemon.

article-2019094-0D10050500000578-743_964x612.jpg

To quote my post about Disney Infinity, "I hope this fails". This is bad for gamers. These games (all three of them) take the free to play model and then charge you for the game as well as the new areas that get unlocked. How many of these games can the market support? Is this going to be like MMO's where one company's massive success gets dozens of others into the game only to see their product lines failing?

With the Wii U's small install base and Disney Infinity on the same console, is it at all likely this will be a huge success?
The game is $18 with figures at $4, the pricing is a lot better than Infinity or Skylander

Its interesting, but I didnt even really like the 3DS version much, let alone paying for random figures.

I already wasted years of money on Pokemon and Yugioh cards, I aint falling for that shit again

The game is $18 with figures at $4, the pricing is a lot better than Infinity or Skylander
That does sound a lot better but aren't they randomized or some bullshit like that? At least that's what I was told in some other thread. If they're randomized then that makes them pretty shitty too. It seems like these games should be free and they should just charge for the portals or in the case of Pokemon Rumble, make the game a free to play download or maybe just charge $10 for the disk then make your money from the figures. It's pretty fucked up to pay full price for a game that basically locks out all the content until you buy it. At least with "DLC on disk" they lock out content that isn't the main game while in the case of these games they're locking out content that you already paid for when you bought the game!

Not to mention these figures aren't needed for the game. All the characters are available to play in the game these figures just give you versions with better stats.

I respectfully disagree, for Pokémon Rumble U at least. The reason being no part of the game is locked away. When you buy the game, you get the full game, no exceptions. All the figures do is allow you to "scan" them in via the NFC chip in the gamepad (the characters are already in the game, however), which then grants some extra stats to that character, and allows you to bring your figure to any friend's house and load in your character into their game. You can also save your entire save file onto any figure, and load your game onto any Wii U. That's ok with me. That is not bad for gamers. That's just collectible figures that go hand in hand with a game. Now with Disney Infinity and Skylanders, you have a legit point. But Pokémon Rumble U is not like those games, with regard to locked game content.

Pretty good deal. Ill head out tomorrow to pre order
Are you doing Skylanders, Disney Infinity, and Pokemon Rumble?

I respectfully disagree, for Pokémon Rumble U at least. The reason being no part of the game is locked away. When you buy the game, you get the full game, no exceptions. All the figures do is allow you to "scan" them in via the NFC chip in the gamepad (the characters are already in the game, however), which then grants some extra stats to that character, and allows you to bring your figure to any friend's house and load in your character into their game. You can also save your entire save file onto any figure, and load your game onto any Wii U. That's ok with me. That is not bad for gamers. That's just collectible figures that go hand in hand with a game. Now with Disney Infinity and Skylanders, you have a legit point. But Pokémon Rumble U is not like those games, with regard to locked game content.
Okay I hadn't heard that. So you don't have to buy the figure to use a Pokemon?

on their website it says you don't.  the figure will have "secrets" in there. (I guess stat boost ) but the actual pokemon is ingame and available to everyone.  You can also level up the figure.

I find the smartcard thing interesting. seem like if you scan a smartcard, you might get a helper pokemon in game.

so far this seem pretty smooth.

on their website it says you don't. the figure will have "secrets" in there. (I guess stat boost ) but the actual pokemon is ingame and available to everyone. You can also level up the figure.

I find the smartcard thing interesting. seem like if you scan a smartcard, you might get a helper pokemon in game.

so far this seem pretty smooth.
Alright, I take most of it back. The packs being randomized is still kind of scummy.

Well... it probably encourage more trading...   Pokemon like that kind of stuff...

I rather knowing what they are rather than random and trade locally... but I can understand why it is random.

When I went to GS Monday, people were trying to pre order the game. It took a while for the employee to find the game since its not a physical game but a code. They also did not get the figure, the employee said they should get it when they go pick up the game.

oh... so when preordering digital from in store, it is the same as physical games? go there on day of release, pay it (if not paid in full already), and pick up a receipt with code?

heh... never actually done that at gamestop.

I pre-ordered this for my son today.  Was told that both the download codes and the figures are not going to be in-store until 8/29.  They are not sure if I could pick between black/white Kyurem either.

ah, guess I have to find some time to go to the store.  Next planned trip to GS was to pick up Project Diva F, but that's the 27th... I don't know if the figures is based on preorder date or just the time you show up to pick it up. I want to make sure I get one.

My friend in the UK got this the other day.  For him the Kyurem he got is a really high level, so I'm guessing that's the draw of the figures.  Also, he wasn't able to try (since he already opened his) but I wondered if you could put the unopened pokeball near the gamepad to see what figure is inside, the way you can with the blind packs for Disney Infinity.

My friend in the UK got this the other day. For him the Kyurem he got is a really high level, so I'm guessing that's the draw of the figures. Also, he wasn't able to try (since he already opened his) but I wondered if you could put the unopened pokeball near the gamepad to see what figure is inside, the way you can with the blind packs for Disney Infinity.
The thought never occurred to me to do something like that. Looks like I'll buy a few figures and return any doubles if this is the case.

Is it preorder only to get the limited figure or is just buy the game(downloadable code) at gamestop after its release and get the figure?

Is it preorder only to get the limited figure or is just buy the game(downloadable code) at gamestop after its release and get the figure?
"The Black Kyurem and White Kyurem NFC Figures will be available for a limited time only and only while supplies last."

I would pre-order just to be sure.

I was in 2 GS the past few days - looking for the Pokemon B/W DL - and neither mentioned that I could pre-order this even though we talked about it at length in both stores. 

I read somebody in the EU bought a full display box of 17 and they were all different. There are 18 total so I suppose it's possible the boxes are filled out like this? 

As others have said - I don't equate this w/ Skylanders or Disney as the toys aren't necessary. Also, Pokmeon toys are everywhere. We have several dozen of various types in my house already, so a few more at $4 each won't matter much. And my kids spend about $20 per month on Pokemon cards so my guess is they forego the cards a month and by a bunch of these instead.

And at $18 the game is only $3 more than the 3DS Pokedex (which replaced the free Pokedex) which my kids each own, so they spent a total of $30 on that. For Pokemon fans this isn't really anything out of the ordinary, either in price or toy collection. And they each have a $1 Target pre-order card for $39.99 X+Y so this will be played for 6 weeks and then be swept aside. 

This seems like a cool way to approach the whole NFC mini-fig exploitation ;)

But the game doesn't sound to be too good.

I'm not a Pokemon fiend so maybe that's why I'm not that into it.

I pre-ordered from my local GS today. I plan on going to the store on release day anyway to get my figure, but the associate said my download code might show up in my digital locker on my PowerUp rewards card website. I don't know how much stock to put into that, but again, I'm going in the store anyway.

Went to GS to pick up my Project Diva F preorder and also placed a preorder for Pokemon Rumble U and picked up the bonus figure. 

Forgot to ask if they still have the box for the rest sealed. they opened one box and have it on the counter already.

IMAG0533.jpg

I went this past weekend to preorder and the clerk couldn't even find it in the system as something that can be preordered. :/ so.. do you get the figure just for buying the game?

And so it begins....

Figures. Been saving the $20 worth of credit on my WiiU just for this game and now I find out I'm going to have to go to GameStop. Hopefully my friend who is a store manager can hook me up with both. I don't know anyone else with a WiiU or I would just buy two copies and give the other away to a friend. I suppose I could try trading it but I've had very little luck trading.
We have five of the "premium" figures in right now, but they are blind like the purchasable figures, so I'm guessing it'll be random as to if you get the white or black one.

Yup.  I asked about it and the clerk had to go find the preorder figure in the drawer.  (didnt get a clear look but it doesn't look like they have too many of the bonus figure in the drawer, probably less than 5.   I only preorder so it is not paid in full, but he handed it to me anyway.

I started a trade group on Facebook hoping to find some folks who want to exchange doubles. If there's anyone here that lives in the Phoenix metro area send me a PM if you are interested in trading with me or search Facebook for Pokemon Rumble U Trading. I got a white preorder figure and hoping to snag a black one when I stop by to pick up my preorder.

Anyone who works at gamestop or has already pre ordered know what the code is to look up in the system for it?

Tried calling gamestop today and the assistant manager was clueless about it when i asked then came back saying 5 were available and then told me the price was $18.I know the per order set was more then that from them and just the code itself was $18.

The wife is going to stop in tomorrow when shes in that town to place the pre order and i was hoping i could give her some more information about it before going in.

bread's done
Back