Games For Windows Live Marketplace Closing 8-25! Gears of War $20 better than ebay/Amazon

jdawgg76

CAGiversary!
Feedback
28 (100%)
My long post failed and got lost so here's a short one on my mobile.

GFWL Marketplace closes sometime on 8-25! Not really a deal for the most part, but a last chance to get some games digitally or dlc.

I got Gears of War for $20. Disc versions end up at $40+ on ebay/Amazon.
Blacklight Tango Down is $1.
Minerva's Den is $5.
Some games are only gfwl from the marketplace if you want achievements (some are also glitches), osmos, world of goo, dark void are three.

There's also free games in Tinker, Age of Empires Online and Microsoft Flight (which has additional paid DLC to expand the game).

GFWL is rumored to shut down July 1, 2014.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you pay $20 for any GOW game?  They should all be very cheap at this point.  Judgement doesn't count as a GOW game.

I guess if you really need GOW for PC than this is the way to go but $20 for a game I can get at Gamestop used for $2.99 for 360 version seems wrong...

Why would you pay $20 for any GOW game? They should all be very cheap at this point. Judgement doesn't count as a GOW game.
What should be and what is are two different things. The PC version is pretty impossible to find in stores leaving ebayers to set prices on a hardto find item.
So is Microsoft not planning to put their big-budget games on the Windows 8 marketplace? Seems like a wasted opportunity.
This is just GFWL which has nothing to do with Windows 8 or its marketplace.

They should just re-release their lineup on steam.

I'd pick up GOW PC for $5 just for the deleted content that was only on PC.

As a longtime gears fan, and someone who does realize that PC gaming has its perks for those in the loop, gears plays better on console. I can't quite put my finger on why I didn't like it on PC, as I was quite excited about it.

Lucky for me. I managed to acquire a mint and complete copy of GOW PC for about $25 about 4-5 years ago. Having played it, finding it terribly boring, and currently sitting on my shelf collecting dust, I may put my copy up for sale for collectors to fight over it.

Cha-Ching! $_$

Wish I knew you were willing to buy it for $20. I sold it on CL a couple years back for $5 and it took me weeks to get rid of it.

What should be and what is are two different things. The PC version is pretty impossible to find in stores leaving ebayers to set prices on a hardto find item. This is just GFWL which has nothing to do with Windows 8 or its marketplace.

GFWL had a handful of exclusives. Blazblue was never US physical release.

I'm not paying $35 in any case, already have 360 Continuum Shift Extend.

Don't forget that Windows Flight is still free to download.

You can download it here, or from the Xbox.com marketplace if you have an account.  Make sure to download the free Red Tails P-51 Mustang to use in the game before it's taken off.

Also, this means Add-ons go away to buy as well.  To see what games have DLC to buy before they go away, check the listing here.

Any suggestions? Have 6000 Points
I'd suggest looking at the games list here. If you see any that interest you, see if you can get them elsewhere, like Amazon, Best Buy or NewEgg. Physical copies will still work after today, but the digital downloads won't be available to buy. The key thing is to look at games that are download only, cheaper as digital versions, or games that have DLC that seem interesting, as they'll go away today. If you can get the physical copy for a decent price, save your points and buy the physical (now or later...if it's available) version.

That's why jdawgg is mentioning Gears of War. It's cheaper to download than it is to get physical copies. But sometimes a seller drops their price. Unfortunately, after today, supply and demand will allow the physical copies to go up in price. But places like NewEgg or Amazon may keep their standard price, so it's better to use your points on other stuff, especially digital things that are going away.

Some DLC for Microsoft Flight is free and some is paid for. The paid for adds more to the game. Gears of War PC adds an extra few chapters to Act 5. Their not as fluid as the rest of the game, as they were designed by People Can Fly, using some planning from Epic that was dropped due to time constraints to get the game out back in 2006. The PC version has the cooperative play and online multiplayer.

Most of the games I own for Windows Live I also have for the 360, and they tend to play the same (especially because I use a wired 360 controller to play). It seems like most of the games that have DLC are full retail games, except for Microsoft Flight and Game Room. I'd look at that list first, see if you have yet to play any or have interest in them, and then look at the DLC. Especially if it's free, get it and then look at the prices of the digital and physical game and decide which is the better use of your points.

As an example:

Batman: Arkham Asylum is $50 for the digital download. I was able to get the Arkham Asylum Game of the Year version from Amazon for less than $5. It was on sale, and was a digital copy through Amazon, but it was much, much cheaper than the Xbox.com price. Plus, the Game of the Year version came with the extra DLC.

Unfortunately, Arkham City's DLC never went on sale for Windows Live. It'd be cheaper to buy the Game of the Year version of that, digitally from Steam or another place, than to buy the game and all of the DLC for it.

Getting Gears of War to run right on the pc is an achievement.
The only issues I had was the sound level using Windows 7, and that I also lost my save data. I have to restart the entire campaign now. But that also happened to me with the 360 version...so it was not too surprising.

The only issues I had was the sound level using Windows 7, and that I also lost my save data. I have to restart the entire campaign now. But that also happened to me with the 360 version...so it was not too surprising.
Thanks, any Xbox 360 games that I could use my points on? Any exclusives that went down in price? Been buying Indie games. I don't even own an Xbox. Buying incase I get one

Thanks, any Xbox 360 games that I could use my points on? Any exclusives that went down in price? Been buying Indie games. I don't even own an Xbox. Buying incase I get one
If you plan on buying an Xbox 360, definitely hold onto your points. They'll still work after the update that's coming. The major issue is that the Games for Windows Live is literally going away. While it isn't being phased out until next year, all of it's digital content is being removed tonight.

The Xbox 360 content and points will still work, it's just that the GFWL portion of Microsoft's Xbox division is going away. It's like how Microsoft eventually got rid of the Xbox support...except for that they actually supported the original for a while after they stopped making Xbox games, and even alerted people to it going away well in advance of dropping the Live portion for the original Xbox.

If you want to buy PC games that are exclusive to the PC (not on the 360), the only one I can really think of is Microsoft Flight (and that's mostly free). There might be others, but I'm not aware of them.

I hope I'm not confusing you. Essentially, Games for Windows Live is for PC. Microsoft is dropping Games for Windows Live (they acquired some guy who helped Steam become a success, so they're working on a new digital setup). The point system is being phased out for a currency system, but your points will just be migrated into your local currency. They're not going away. In fact it's just better to keep them because they'll work on the Xbox One as well as the 360, so you'll be able to use your 6000 points for future purchases, and they'll be free from being taxed for purchases (all points, migrated to currency or not, will expire around July next year, so you have to use them before that; but when they're transferred over and become currency you will be charged tax for your digital purchases depending on state rules...but any migrated points from before the update will not be taxed as they will still technically follow the old setup Microsoft had).

So don't feel forced to spend your points. Unless you want to buy some digital PC games or their DLC, don't worry about using them right away.

My state is 7% tax.

So all my points, upon being transferred will not be affected by tax. Ofcourse as you've said old cards afterwards will be affected.

Figured I'd spend my points now since its easier

Gears is still selling for $20 on ebay. All the stuff on the WLMP cam be bought for cheap. I appreciate the advice.

Gears 1 worked fine on my stock HP with W7/64 bit.  Didn't mess with any settings yet.  

20+ on ebay for used copies, but I was under the impression that there is an activation code for the DLC and didn't want to risk buying the  game and not getting the DLC (the extra levels which are the main reason I wanted the PC version).  Besides $20 for the digital version and no potential ebay hassle vs 20ish for a used copy is an easy choice.

Also, found that you can get Dirt 3 Complete to get the DLC so you don't overpay of GFWL's last day.

My long post failed and got lost so here's a short one on my mobile.

GFWL Marketplace closes sometime today. Not really a deal for the most part, but a last chance to get some games digitally or dlc.
Wow, thanks for posting, I had literally no knowledge this was happening! Fantastic...so a few questions for anyone who has an answer...

• Will the store closure affect accessing your downloaded DLC? I mean, you can still download via the GFWL interface I'd assume.
  • Is this going to affect redeeming keys and such? Like any keys for Age of Empires Online DLC or acticvating physical copies of Gears of War, BioShock 2, etc?
  • Does GFWL have a backup routine like Steam? Official or Unofficial.
[background=#e9e9e9]now it says they are closing the store on August 25th.[/size][/background]
Where do you see this? I can't seem to find any announcement page or anything like that?

[background=#e9e9e9]Also Microsoft flight and Ages of empire online got removed from steam.[/size][/background]
Well great...

Uh, same reason to play any game on PC over the 360, for me... improved visuals.

The game's pretty on 360... it's gorgeous on a good rig.

And there's the extra content. Some of us don't want some nasty, sticky $5 used game in our consoles, btw... 

My question is if this affects the functionality of games registering, like Bulletstorm, Bioshock 2 and Gears, that require a GFWL account...

80 MSP for Blacklight Tango Down is a good price, regardless of how good it is. At least it's a GS booster and can be played in conjunction with the 360 version (assuming there was one) for double GS.

Most of the achievments in blacklight tango down are online only I think, and online was completely dead when I checked a few months ago, so worth a chance for only 80 MSP but buyer beware unless you are interested in single player

Using several resources like:

I came up with the list to get of:

• Bioshock 2: Minerva's Den DLC
  • Operation Flashpoint: Valley of Death DLC
  • Dead Rising 2: Off the Record: GAMEBREAKER Pack DLC
As was said in the OP, the biggest things that will go away are addons, some 200pt achievement games (Carneyvale), and GFWL games exclusive to the Xbox Marketplace.  "Test Drive Ferrari" and "Dark Void" tempted me, but their prices are just too insane compared to console versions.  "Dead Rising 2" skins aren't entirely necessary for the game, and I've got all of them on 360 if I absolutely need to be a ninja or psycho.  And though "Bulletstorm" is cheap this weekend over at http://origin.ea.com, I don't have a great need for mulitplayer-only bonuses.  Lastly, I thought about Gears briefly, but with retail copies out in the wild, and no addons to purchase, it wasn't that pressing ... yet? :whistle2:

Remember all retail copies & anything currently available in Steam probably won't be going away soon ... but at the same time, I doubt Microsoft will be generating any more 5x5 codes for other retailers, so you'd best grab them when next on sale for ANY discount.

-- Cornelius

P.S.  And there goes the Marketplace ... DLC already getting sucked out of "Bulletstorm" as I write this. :whistle2:(

Uh, same reason to play any game on PC over the 360, for me... improved visuals.

The game's pretty on 360... it's gorgeous on a good rig.

And there's the extra content. Some of us don't want some nasty, sticky $5 used game in our consoles, btw...

My question is if this affects the functionality of games registering, like Bulletstorm, Bioshock 2 and Gears, that require a GFWL account...
i could be wrong, but games for windows marketplace and the games for windows live platform have always been separate but related things. this is just the marketplace not the platform, and the cd keys were never registered to an account, just checked to allow signing in to gfwl/xbox live

Well looks like its officially gone, links to any marketplace items don't seem to be working anymore; everything redirects to closure notice.  Dammit, I was never able to get the free BioShock 2 DLC...kept getting errors; figured it was due to not yet having activated/installed my copy of it...but never had a chance to install it today.  I assumed we'd have till about 5-6am CST on the 26th, since thats usually always been update time of day for xbox deals....oh well....

Well looks like its officially gone, links to any marketplace items don't seem to be working anymore; everything redirects to closure notice. Dammit, I was never able to get the free BioShock 2 DLC...kept getting errors; figured it was due to not yet having activated/installed my copy of it...but never had a chance to install it today. I assumed we'd have till about 5-6am CST on the 26th, since thats usually always been update time of day for xbox deals....oh well....
I downloaded the free DLC for Bioshock 2, Flight, and Fable 3 on the 21st.I purchased Bioshock a month or so ago when it was $5, but hadn't installed it either.

Gears of War for PC is VERY VERY RARE AND HARD TO FIND,

Gamestop does not have it

walmart does not have it

best buy does not have it

amazon sell it for $100

ebay sells it for $55

The PC version of Gears of War has much better graphics,better framerate,more levels and map that the xbox 360 version will never see.

Also the PC version of Gears of War has a map creater and level creater.

And the MODS for the PC Version of Gears of War are amazing

There a MOD to play Gear of war 2,3,judgement and a bunch of fan made gears of war 4 and there a MOD to play a Gear of war game base off of the 10 gears of war books.

There also over 10,000 Multiplayer map,which are all free. Something that the Xbox 360 version does not have.

So for $20 you geting 10,000 multiplayer maps.better graphics,better framerate, with the mods you can download for free u get gears of war 2,3,judgement, and a fan made project of gears of war 4.

There also more weapons in the pc version,more characters to choose from(Over 100 with the mods)

Here more information on the Mod if you do not belive me

http://gearsofwar.filefront.com/

People even recreated the multiplayer maps from Halo 1,2,3,4,call of duty into Gears of War multiplayer.

Imagine playing Gears of war Multiplayer with maps from Black ops 2.

GFWL Marketplace is dead. Long live GFWL Marketplace!

Or not really as it was an overpriced mess that very occasionally had some good unannounced deals like Bioshock 2 for $5.

Mods please move this to the graveyard.

bread's done
Back