Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Collection (Zavvi Exclusive Limited Edition Steelbook) PS3 Preorder(35.86 shipped)

I really loved LOS and I know this is a polarizing subject. I know it was a cross between Shadows of the Colossus, GOW and DMC, but that is not a bad thing. I felt it had amazing presentation and gameplay and was just a well made reimagining of CastleVania. The boss fights are still some of my favorite and most memorable battles in recent memory. I think the handheld version was great and is a nice bridge between LOS 1 and 2 and I am fine that it is not a full fledge MetroidVania type game. I am happy to know console owners will get to experience this game in HD. I have both the LOS: CE for NA and the God Mask version for EU unopened, so I must buy two of these to have one unopened with those. Thanks OP!

Last edited by a moderator:
Strangely enough the collection is going to be $29.99 according to amazon

PS3

XBOX 360

This is still a great price if you want the steelbook though. I might jump on that! thanks OP.

Definitely picking this up when it comes out.  But if MoF HD is a voucher on either platform, I may pass.  No point if the game doesn't come on disc. Shame EU gets so many steelbooks and North America doesn't.

Strangely enough the collection is going to be $29.99 according to amazon

PS3

XBOX 360

This is still a great price if you want the steelbook though. I might jump on that! thanks OP.
Good to see though it's not all that surprising, since they only needed to do work on updating 1 game and the other is just a re-release.

Definitely picking this up when it comes out. But if MoF HD is a voucher on either platform, I may pass. No point if the game doesn't come on disc. Shame EU gets so many steelbooks and North America doesn't.

It is a voucher for mof hd, which suxs but oh well!

• Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (Physical Disc)
  • Castlevania: Lords of Shadow ‘Reverie’ DLC (via Download Voucher)
  • Castlevania: Lords of Shadow ‘Resurrection’ DLC (via Download Voucher)
  • Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate HD (via Download Voucher)
  • Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 Early Access Demo (via Download Voucher)

the steelbook looks G2 thats good

Last edited:
Definitely picking this up when it comes out. But if MoF HD is a voucher on either platform, I may pass. No point if the game doesn't come on disc. Shame EU gets so many steelbooks and North America doesn't.

Definitely not worth importing for the steelbook, then, since none of the vouchers would work with North American PS3s. I'll wait for this to go cheap on the U.S. release, no reason to rush.

Definitely not worth importing for the steelbook, then, since none of the vouchers would work with North American PS3s. I'll wait for this to go cheap on the U.S. release, no reason to rush.
The vouchers would not work on the US PSN Store. I happen to have a EU, Asia, and JP PSN account for the purpose of redeeming codes and downloading demos that the other regions get. So this isn't really an issue for me. If a person thinks this may be a hassle or just doesn't want to have to set up another account.. then yea, I wouldn't bother with this edition just incase they are voucher codes.

Once you redeem a voucher from the appropriate region's PSN store, you can just switch back to your US PSN account and play it as usual.

The vouchers would not work on the US PSN Store. I happen to have a EU, Asia, and JP PSN account for the purpose of redeeming codes and demos that the other regions get, that way may not. So this isn't really an issue for me. If a person thinks this may be a hassle or just doesn't want to have to set up another account.. then yea, I wouldn't bother with this edition.

Once you redeem a voucher from the appropriate region's PSN store, you can just switch back to your US PSN account and play it as usual.
So you can play the actual non-US DLC with your US PSN account? Never knew that thanks.

Where are you guys getting info on this for the US? Because I see the Amazon listing but I can't find any info on a PS3 release for the US anywhere. All I can find is info on the PC release. Gamestop doesn't have a listing as I only find the PC one there as well.

I went to MercurySteam's website and I couldn't get much there either other than (again) the PC release info.

Aww..that is disappointing. I thought it was an awesome deal until I found out that it's just the original Lords of Shadow with a bunch of download vouchers. I already own the the first one on PS3 so this is definitely a pass for me.

Yeah I'm one of those dinosaurs that likes games on a disc.

Aww..that is disappointing. I thought it was an awesome deal until I found out that it's just the original Lords of Shadow with a bunch of download vouchers. I already own the the first one on PS3 so this is definitely a pass for me.

Yeah I'm one of those dinosaurs that likes games on a disc.
We should form a park.

In addition to the PS3 being region free, you can also freely access the other region stores for content. Since you'll have a PAL version of Castlevania, then the DLC voucher can simply be redeemed on any EU account and played on your PS3. However! This DLC will not work with a NTSC/U or /J version of the game, so don't think you can download DLC across regions. You can just download and play DLC if you have the game from the same region.

So you can play the actual non-US DLC with your US PSN account? Never knew that thanks.
You can. You can play them on any account and works 100% the same as it does for your US account. The only difference being you need the game from the same region as the DLC. Though sometimes Asian DLC works on Japanese games and vice versa.

Why is a voucher a deal breaker? Having a voucher gives you the ability to gameshare this (saving / making money back) and is less restrictive than disc based DL games. Like Killzone / DSE require you to install the game and have the disc in the machine to boot it (to prevent unlimited downloading), where as a voucher version is just download and play.

Wow thats one of the most beautiful steels over ever seen, I must have this... LoS is one of the best games of this generation.

Wow, that's a great looking steelbook... Already have the CE version of this game, but man, I do have a weakness for steelbooks.  May have to pass since the bundle is still sealed.  Will pray for a price drop and reconsider, but thanks OP!!  Oh, and I am one of those who are still "dinosaurs" too.  I would much rather pay for game on disc than have it available for digital download.

You can. You can play them on any account and works 100% the same as it does for your US account. The only difference being you need the game from the same region as the DLC. Though sometimes Asian DLC works on Japanese games and vice versa.
Ah, thanks for the clarification admiral. That makes sense. So everybody can access any DLC but the real limitation is obtaining the region specific disc.

Ah, thanks for the clarification admiral. That makes sense. So everybody can access any DLC but the real limitation is obtaining the region specific disc.
No. The limitation is that the DLC and Disc must come from the same region. Obviously you can access any DLC, just like you can access any game besides Persona 4 Arena, they just need to be from the same region to work correctly.

The CAG community is more like me then xD. At other games related sites I feel like a total prehistoric reptile whenever the topic of disc vs digital games comes up.
They are probably the younger generation of gamers, who don't care about retailer stock clearing clearances and timely reselling to keep gaming costs down, and who don't like to have a wall of collections; they just want to get into shooting action as quick as possible.

I really loved LOS and I know this is a polarizing subject. I know it was a cross between Shadows of the Colossus, GOW and DMC, but that is not a bad thing. I felt it had amazing presentation and gameplay and was just a well made reimagining of CastleVania. The boss fights are still some of my favorite and most memorable battles in recent memory. I think the handheld version was great and is a nice bridge between LOS 1 and 2 and I am fine that it is not a full fledge MetroidVania type game. I am happy to know console owners will get to experience this game in HD. I have both the LOS: CE for NA and the God Mask version for EU unopened, so I must buy two of these to have one unopened with those. Thanks OP!
No, it's more like a Cross between Lament of Innocence, SOTC and DmC. I hate when people compare this game to GoW when it's combat mechanics have so much more in common with Lament of Innocence, a game which predates GoW by 2 whole years.

Personally my problems with the game was the terrible Music design system and how lazy the story felt with the majority of it just being a damn loading screen before the level. Even though the story was fantastic, same with the music. (Also they created IMO the worst version EVER of Vampire Killer short of the Amiga Abomination)

I can't stand western Audio design.

Compelling area theme> run into enemy>Crossfade into random percussion song#5>Crossfade out (And in LoS it didn't always go back to the same song. Or even the same point in the song)

It didn't even have a proper Title Theme. (I also thought they could've worked in SO many more musical references to Castlevania 1. Being a musician/composer playing the game I could hear so many moments in the song where in my head I could hear perfectly how they could've implemented more motifs and riffs from CV1 songs)

Listening to the soundtrack is SO much more enjoyable than the shitty way they implemented it in game. It really hampered and made the experience much less enjoyable to me. Someone who has been an extremely huge Castlevania fan since he was basically a toddler.

It should go > Title Screen = unique theme >Event/Cutscene music crossfades in as needed for those events

In game should have > Area Theme that loops>Crossfade to Event/Cutscene Music when needed.

And honestly, being a western Studio, I doubt any of these things will have Changed for Lords of Shadow 2.

I'd really love another True Japanese Castlevania at this point because Mercury Steam is the equivalent of Castlevania 64 level where they get extremely important fundamental parts of the Castlevania experience wrong.

In this case, Story digestion Design/Far too little dialogue actually in-game and Audio Design.

Also,this collection is a waste of your money

You have up to 50 FREAKIN GIGABYTES of space on a blu-ray and they can't be bothered to just include everything on disc. Why? Because they are assholes.

Why spend money re-authoring an entire new disk when you can just kill trees, waste paper and simply reprint the existing title (LOS) and include a bunch of vouchers?

Not to mention it absolutely DESTROYs any kind of possible collector's value the set will ever have. Because Vouchers EXPIRE. And then what are you left with?

Another Non-complete copy of Lords of Shit.

I can understand the hate for the thing not being on disc, but the music thing, wow.  It must suck to not enjoy a game just due to something like that.  I'm a huge dracula x/castlevania/haunted castle/whatever you want to name in the series music fan, but I'd never go to the extent to rip LoS just over a little music placement/arrangements.  I play games to have a good time, not be OCD over a soundtrack.

Not that it really matters in this thread, but that's not always the case. I was surprised to find out that dlc for Injustice from both the US and UK stores worked on the same disk. The US Arkham skins and Arrow skin worked on the UK version, and the Blackest Night/Flashpoint and Red Son dlc from the UK store worked fine on the US version. But in general you're right, most often you need the dlc to be from the same region.

Not that it really matters in this thread, but that's not always the case. I was surprised to find out that dlc for Injustice from both the US and UK stores worked on the same disk. The US Arkham skins and Arrow skin worked on the UK version, and the Blackest Night/Flashpoint and Red Son dlc from the UK store worked fine on the US version. But in general you're right, most often you need the dlc to be from the same region.
First example I've ever heard of it working in the US, but it's better to keep it simple and make it an absolute. I only say Asia / Japan are difference, since I've seen at least 6 games work with DLC from the wrong region and seems to be a fairly common thing.

There are plenty of other dinosaurs who also don't like DD. I would definitely get this if MoF was on disc and it seems like most people in this thread feel the same way.
Yeah, unless you want the steelbook, you can pass on this collection entirely, especially if you already own Castelvania Lords Of Shadow. I'll just wait for all the dlc to go on sale to pick them up, and I'll effectively have the same thing (don't care about the early access demo). If the dlc were on disc, though, I would definitely get it.

For anyone that has ever preordered something overseas... I'm assuming that since I'll be charged when the item is released that I'll need to keep an eye on the exchange rate to see what I'll actually be paying?  Preordering doesn't lock in the current exchange rate, does it?

FWIW... currently this is about $5 cheaper now then when it was posted.

sorry to bump an old topic, but I know some were looking at preordering from amazon. looks like amazon fixed (?) the msrp of this collection up to $40, so pat yourself on the back if you remembered to preorder it at $30.

sorry to bump an old topic, but I know some were looking at preordering from amazon. looks like amazon fixed (?) the msrp of this collection up to $40, so pat yourself on the back if you remembered to preorder it at $30.
Is the US version just the base game on disc and the vouchers like the UK version?

Damn
Looks like I'll be waiting a bit then

bread's done
Back