Nintendo 2DS

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Holy crap. This HAS to be a joke. Right?

nintendo_2ds.0_cinema_720.0.jpg

Nintendo is releasing a new version of its Nintendo 3DS hardware that's playable only in 2D. It's called the Nintendo 2DS and will be available in North America on Oct. 12 for $129.99.

Nintendo 2DS plays the entire library of 3DS and DS games only in 2D, Nintendo announced, dropping the stereoscopic 3D of the currently available Nintendo 3DS. The new handheld features a "fixed, slate-type form factor" — instead of a clam shell-style design — but retains the hardware features of the standard 3DS, including its dual screens and touch screen.

Unfortunetely it's not a joke anyway what's the point of this? No 3D? 3DS has an option to turn it off ffs... Price? It's only $30 cheaper than the original Nintendo 3DS plus it's ugly as fuck

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah but for some of us that still haven't gotten one yet this sounds interesting. Makes sense since the 3D effect hurts our eyes. I never liked the 3D crap myself.

Saw someone post about this on Facebook, and there was no way the thought crossed my mind that this could actually be real. Ugly as sin and barely cheaper than the 3DS. Nintendo strikes again!

The point of this from a marketing perspective is obvious. This allows Nintendo to get a handheld gaming system on the market much closer to the sweet-spot $100 price point in time for the holidays. All of the various design decisions are obvious as well. By making the unit one solid piece with no hinges they drastically cut back on the build complexity, and considerably reduce the price to manufacture each unit. Ditto for the removal of the 3D-enabled top screen. A standard 2D screen is considerably cheaper. The design they've come up with will also give the device a better battery life than the regular 3DS.

This is a device that has been designed from the ground up to MAKE MONEY. Nintendo somewhat regrets their decision to double-down on 3D support for their handheld, and now they want a version of it that's much closer to the original GameBoy line. (older technology, cheaper production, cheaper price) This is their attempt to turn their financials around for the coming year with a product they can push for cash dollars.

Personally, I'm not sold on the design. While I can understand and even appreciate the reasons behind it, I've always liked the clamshell design of the DS line. It helps to make the system more portable and convenient. I'm not confident that this device will be comfortable to play. I will need to feel the ergonomics when it comes out.

I don't know with Nintendo anymore.  I'm sure they did their research, and there must be a good size market for this.

Otherwise, it surely looks rather unappealing.  

Holy fuck ing hell, Nintendo is officially dumb. I realize this is a product to make money but that is one seriously ugly and pointless handheld.

Did anyone want this though?  Honestly?  It doesn't look too portable plus, the bend in the middle makes viewing the screen more comfortable.  Try opening a 3DS all the way so it is flat - it is almost unplayable.  Also, the 3DS plays games in 2D just fine.  Even if this was designed to be a cash grab by Nintendo, I just don't think they will sell that many of them.

The L and R buttons look way more comfortable than they are on the current 3ds/xl.

I always hate playing games that use those buttons often because theyre so uncomfortable to use.

The L and R buttons look way more comfortable than they are on the current 3ds/xl.

I always hate playing games that use those buttons often because theyre so uncomfortable to use.
Because the screens are no longer at right angles to each other your eyes are going to have to cover so much more real estate. Do not like this design. The name either.... but that is a good price point assuming it hits $100 every once in awhile.

This thing must be seriously cheap as fuck to make, hey nintendo how about you spend some money and make a better more solid handheld to begin with. I seriously miss the thinking that went into the DS Lite, that was a masterpiece in innovation. All the 3DS models have their issues and now this. Ugh.

Even if this was designed to be a cash grab by Nintendo, I just don't think they will sell that many of them.
Well, it all depends.

On the plus side, this thing is going to be decently stable, thanks to the simpler design, and will have better battery life, thanks to excising the possibility of 3D. The viewing angles on the screen will also be wider, thanks to the lack of 3D. Those factors combined with the price drop, and the massive library of both the 3DS and DS will make it an attractive product to some consumers. (especially budget-conscious consumers)

At the same time, I could see there being a real problem with perception on this thing. Specifically, the new design and removal of the clamshell are going to draw direct comparisons to tablets. And while the lower price will help mitigate that factor, the thing just isn't going to look as portable or as convenient as the average tablet. (devices whose prices have been getting lower and lower) Shifting away from the clamshell design removes a lot of the portability and convenience of the product, a potentially crucial factor.

Well, it all depends.

On the plus side, this thing is going to be decently stable, thanks to the simpler design, and will have better battery life, thanks to excising the possibility of 3D. The viewing angles on the screen will also be wider, thanks to the lack of 3D. Those factors combined with the price drop, and the massive library of both the 3DS and DS will make it an attractive product to some consumers. (especially budget-conscious consumers)

At the same time, I could see there being a real problem with perception on this thing. Specifically, the new design and removal of the clamshell are going to draw direct comparisons to tablets. And while the lower price will help mitigate that factor, the thing just isn't going to look as portable or as convenient as the average tablet. (devices whose prices have been getting lower and lower) Shifting away from the clamshell design removes a lot of the portability and convenience of the product, a potentially crucial factor.

I don't think this looks or functions like a tablet at all. I mean your two screens are split apart which makes it awkward to look at / use when both screens are in the same plane.

I would have prefered that they use one massive screen with the ability to cycle how it is displayed (ex. 1:1 ratio top bottom, Full screen top, full screen bottom, etc.)

For me it would take a lot of getting used to to have to keep rolling my eyes up and down.

Lowering the price point has to be weighed against dilution of the brand (or rather the fact that it borders on self-parody). 

It reminds me of the barebones Wii (the mini?) they announced ahead of just after the WIIU launch.  How'd that baby Wii work out for them?  If it didn't move many Wiis (or if it parasetized WIIU sales), then I'd say they deserve the criticism for not learning their lesson the first time around.

It's continued lateral moves from them anymore.  It's discouraging.

I read the article on IGN. At first I thought it was a joke like everyone else did. Nintendo is actually marketing the 2DS to kids under 7 as their first handheld. I got a feeling that the soccer moms that doesn't know any better would flock to this. As a mother of a 6 year old boy I would not buy this for him. If you wanted to get your kid that first handheld get a DS lite or DSi. The DS has a huge library of children games. You can get a used/new DSi for cheap now a days. My son already had 2 DSis and he loves it. The only good thing about the 2DS is that it doesn't look as easy to break the top screen. I see this all the time with younger kids breaking the top screen for some reason.

For me it would take a lot of getting used to to have to keep rolling my eyes up and down.
This isn't an issue. Having to glance up and down at either screen has been present since the very first DS, and has never really stopped the system from being useful. In fact, this effect will be diminished in this new 2DS. Having both screens mounted into the same flat surface makes it possible for them to narrow the distance between them as much as possible. There will be less space between the two screens than ever before on this model. It's actually a feature in the 2DS's favor.

I'm concerned about the ergonomics of the system, and how it will feel when you hold and play it. If I'm lucky, maybe Nintendo will be showing it off at their booth at PAX. If they are I'll bring back impressions.

Having both screens mounted into the same flat surface makes it possible for them to narrow the distance between them as much as possible. There will be less space between the two screens than ever before on this model. It's actually a feature in the 2DS's favor.
I don't know about that - a lot of games operate as though there is a defined gap between the screens (as if it's one giant screen with the gap being the part you can't see). If they screw with this it will mess up a bunch of games (DS games at least - I'm not sure about 3DS games).

Does Nintendo have anyone left who has a clue?!?  It doesn't even fit in my pocket.  Sigh...there is just so much wrong with this thing.

This isn't an issue. Having to glance up and down at either screen has been present since the very first DS, and has never really stopped the system from being useful. In fact, this effect will be diminished in this new 2DS. Having both screens mounted into the same flat surface makes it possible for them to narrow the distance between them as much as possible. There will be less space between the two screens than ever before on this model. It's actually a feature in the 2DS's favor.

I'm concerned about the ergonomics of the system, and how it will feel when you hold and play it. If I'm lucky, maybe Nintendo will be showing it off at their booth at PAX. If they are I'll bring back impressions.

That's not true and not what I'm talking about. The viewing distance from the top of the top screen to the bottom of the bottom screen on the 2ds is much greater then the standard 3ds because it is all in the same plane.

On a standard 3DS you essentially have a triangle going which shortens your viewing distance. Hold a standard piece of paper about 6"-10" from your face while keeping it flat. Then create an L shape like a 3DS by folding it in half and then letting it go back to 90 degrees.

In the second setup you get much more information into your field of view without having to roll your eyes up and down.

I was debating in May/June buying a 3DS for $130 at Target.  Why would I buy a system for the same price that doesn't flip close to protect the screen and has no 3DS?  This is just silly and proves Nintendo is out of touch.

This should be $99 tops and Wii U bundle $250.

Guess I’m in the minority but I see this selling pretty well….might even pick one up for myself. Reminds me of the GBA micro; everyone bitched about that and I love mine.

I think tablets have changed peoples mind. Kids are so used to the form factor and carrying them around, I do see the non-folding as an issue. And honestly, this would be harder for my son to lose.

The price is great. People forget that the power of the 3ds (2ds) is really quite good and $30 cheaper is a real thing, Especially if stores can get it around $99 for black Friday.   

the name is weird, tho

As others have mentioned, if I wanted to buy a system for a young one, I'd still go with the original DS, or the DSi.  Both of those systems are cheaper, and have a huge library of games.

This system is just for Nintendo to profit.  Increase the amount of systems that support 3DS format cartridges at a discount, and continue to sell the higher priced cartridges.

As others have mentioned, if I wanted to buy a system for a young one, I'd still go with the original DS, or the DSi. Both of those systems are cheaper, and have a huge library of games.

This system is just for Nintendo to profit. Increase the amount of systems that support 3DS format cartridges at a discount, and continue to sell the higher priced cartridges.
terrible option. at this point the DS is 6 years old and hard to look at. (the actual tech is 9 years old)

hell you could get then a GBA or a Gameboy if you are going to be a cheapass.

Hideous design.  I can get putting out a non-3D version that's a bit cheaper.  I never use the 3D (tires my eyes and too hard to keep at the right angle and distance), and I'm sure many don't and have noted that in those Club Nintendo post play surveys where it asks how much of the game you played in 2D/3D.

But why not just keep the folding design and make the packaging clear?  Or maybe just keep 3D in the XL and make the smaller model 2D only if they needed something to spur sales more?

terrible option. at this point the DS is 6 years old and hard to look at.

Okay. The point came up that the 3DS is not safe for those under 7 y/o.

Do you think that someone under 7 is going to give a flying fuck about the difference in graphics/resolution on a DS as compared to a 2DS regardless if the purchaser is trying to be a cheapass or just give their child something they can use and abuse while not losing much sleep over the possibility that it might break?

You could realistically buy a preowned DS three times before you spend $130

I hope i see a few of these babies on craigslist by christmas. Would definitely get if the price was right.

terrible option. at this point the DS is 6 years old and hard to look at. (the actual tech is 9 years old)

The 3ds was never as good an option for playing regular DS games as the base DS or DSi. Regardless of what settings you used, it just never looked as good. My point had to do with the cheaper cartridges, and more extensive lineup. If the audience is indeed the 7 and under crowd, they will not care.

For original DS games, I still prefer to play them on my DSi (nothing terrible about it. I actually prefer it). You're welcome to disagree, as it's just an opinion, and you know what they say about those...

Okay. The point came up that the 3DS is not safe for those under 7 y/o.
Do you think that someone under 7 is going to give a flying fuck about the difference in graphics/resolution on a DS as compared to a 2DS regardless if the purchaser is trying to be a cheapass or just give their child something they can use and abuse while not losing much sleep over the possibility that it might break?

You could realistically buy a preowned DS three times before you spend $130
I talked about it being unsafe for kids a few months ago here and was beat to shit by the fans of the system because you can turn it off. Don't understand this product. Why would you make a portable system for a 5 year old that is too large to fit into a pocket?

I have been pretty adamant in saying Nintendo will be fine and won't need to get out of the hardware business but I question if they can survive past this generation if they keep making idiot decisions like the Wii U or the 2DS. 

The one thing the 3DS would have benefited from is a second analog stick... instead, Nintendo decides to make a portable that's far from portable.

They could have at least made something like a tablet that could play 3DS games or let developers use the entire surface. Like, if you stick an old 3DS game in there, it'll just display black bars to simulate two separate screens. And if developers use the full surface but the game is played on an old 3DS, then it would work like any other dual screen game (kinda like how some GB games looked better on GB Color). 

From NeoGAF:

G6GfvBy.jpg
Oh man, that got me busting up laughing. :rofl:

The 2DS is designed for kids. It's cheaper and more sturdier than a standard 3DS (no hinge to break) and more tablet like (similar to the iPad that kids are already using). If a kid can get used to this design on a Nintendo product, down the line he/she will be interested in playing Nintendo games on a Wii U.

Makes sense to me. Definitely not for me though and I'm completely satisfied with my XL. :mrgreen:

Nintendo have lost their fucking minds.  Kids aren't going to want this because they'll be made fun of at school for having the "poor kid's 3DS."

I will get it also, it makes it a bit easier for in bed or something since that's when I definitely have 3D off since I don't hold the distance/angle constant during those time.  should be better weight balance too.  Doesn't look like it from image (havent watch teh video yet) but I hope where the palm rest is a bit contoured but eitherway, I can definitely see this being useful to me.

I don't understand people being upset or offended by this. Many other tech companies offer multiple versions of a similar product (Samsung, Apple, etc.) and they're marketed to different types of people. I don't see why Nintendo should be vilified for doing the same. If it doesn't affect you, what does it matter?

Anyways, personally, I'm happy with my 3DS XL, but may look at this for my young step-daughter.

Because it is Nintendo and many CAg here really do want to play their games but don't want to shell out any more money than they had spent on the hardcore !PS VITA! so they bitch and whine about Nintendo hoping it get destroyed so they can go 3rd party.

I don't think anyone is upset about it. Just giving their opinions on it.

But yes, I'd love to see Nintendo eventually go third party (or 2nd party to Sony) as they suck at making hardware but make great games. But they are still VERY profitable, so that's not happening anytime soon, if ever. And I don't have, or want (or will ever buy) a Vita. :D

There is a reason why Nintendo can get away with different hardware configurations like this. It's because their handheld hardware holds its value a lot better than almost any other video game platform. Nintendo handhelds are sold for a higher percentage in the used market than any other console. It takes a good decade for them to start creeping down toward 50% of the final MSRP.

Right now most DS Lite's go for $60 - $70 used, despite the fact that there have been numerous revisions to the hardware. It's only recently that you've been able to acquire GBA SPs for $50 or less. DSis still go for $80 - $90, despite them still selling at some stores for $100.

At $130, the 2DS is going to be cheaper brand new than most used 3DS units. For anyone looking to get a DS-compatible system, it's going to seem like a good deal.

I would question how this is going to affect the AR games for the system, though. I would imagine most of those won't be compatible with the 2DS, since they rely on the 3D camera functionality?

I would question how this is going to affect the AR games for the system, though. I would imagine most of those won't be compatible with the 2DS, since they rely on the 3D camera functionality?
From what I read, it still has the 3D cameras--just can't display 3D on the screens. So the AR games should still work--they'd just display in 2D on the screen.

bread's done
Back