Is there such a thing as PS+ Membership deals?

JetEngineJesus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Yes, it's that time again... time for THIS GUY to come shimmying out of his hole looking for a deal.

I've been an Xbox guy for the past two generations, but found a fantastic deal on a PS4 pre-order (~$260 incl. tax!!!!), so I'm ditching MS for the time being. I've been poking around looking for deals on PS+ memberships, but can't seem to find any... Do they ever go on sale?

I haven't paid more than $40 for an XBL membership in, like, 6 years --- those bad boys are ALWAYS on sale somewhere! It just feels wrong to pay full price for PS+... $50? OUTRAGEOUS!!!

If you buy a lot of games off the Playstation store you get the $50 back with all the discounts and you get free games with new ones coming out every month. Also, if you have a Vita you get free games and discounts for that as well using the same membership. All of it would be better if you had a ps3 though. 

Sometimes they'll give 15 months for the price of 12. That's the best I've seen. But honestly I can't complain even at $50. Such a great value.

There's new discount every week, so you might find a game you've been eying for cheap.  I think the cheapest I've seen for PS+ would be $40-45 at Best Buy with Reward Zone.  Just recently, there was a $20 PS card + 3 month PS+ for $28.  I think there was a promotion early in the Spring when they had buy $50 worth of stuff on PSN and get like $10-15 back, which included PS+ stubs too.

EDIT: Didn't read correctly.  My post pertains to the US.  That's what I get for not reading....

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't take OP seriously.
? I don't understand why not... Like I'd said, I'm used to getting an XBL membership for, like, 25-30% off of the MSRP. Is it really that unreasonable to think that there might be a similar discount for Sony's version of the same service?

Thanks for the feedback, everyone else! It doesn't sound like there's much point in waiting for a big sale; We've got a couple of months before launch, so maybe they'll run a promotion in the meantime, try to build up hype for PS+ amongst the new adopters.

The deals are less common than Live, for sure, but I've never paid more than $30 for a year of PS+.  It's in higher demand these days though, and I can't recall seeing any deals recently.  Maybe keep an eye out for someone on CAG selling at a discounted price; that's how I got one of my years.

Yes, it's that time again... time for THIS GUY to come shimmying out of his hole looking for a deal.

I've been an Xbox guy for the past two generations, but found a fantastic deal on a PS4 pre-order (~$260 incl. tax!!!!), so I'm ditching MS for the time being. I've been poking around looking for deals on PS+ memberships, but can't seem to find any... Do they ever go on sale?

I haven't paid more than $40 for an XBL membership in, like, 6 years --- those bad boys are ALWAYS on sale somewhere! It just feels wrong to pay full price for PS+... $50? OUTRAGEOUS!!!
I think the more important question is where did you get such a good deal on the PS4 preorder?

someone told me on my friends list said they bought PS+ cards off of Ebay for way lesser price then $50 for a year.  maybe you can find deals like that still ?  they are from the US of course but also US Cards will work for Canadian accounts as well   cause someone gave me a code for 3 months of Plus and it worked.    could always try that route if you wanna take the chance.  

They run the buy a year get three months free promo a lot, and sometimes it syncs up with the spend $50 get $10 back -- like it did last time I paid for mine.  In contrast to the XBox service I've found sales/deals on the actual PSN store for the service far more often than I've seen sales for the physical cards at retail, can't think of a single time I saw them for less than MSRP anywhere.  

Is PS+ even going to be worthwhile to have on PS4? I highly doubt the "Instant Game Collection" will carry over, at least for awhile. I just can't see them giving away brand new PS4 games for a long time. Hopefully I am wrong about that though.

Is PS+ even going to be worthwhile to have on PS4? I highly doubt the "Instant Game Collection" will carry over, at least for awhile. I just can't see them giving away brand new PS4 games for a long time. Hopefully I am wrong about that though.
ICG is confirmed for day one on PS4, first titles will be a PS+ specific version of DriveClub (the core game but missing certain content, which can be purchased as DLC / upgrade to full version for a discount) and Resogun plus a rotating selection of indie titles over the first few months (I know one of them was Outlast, I can't remember the others)

There's a thread in the deals forum of Best Buy offering rewards members a 12 month Plus code for $39. You can read about it here.

I think the more important question is where did you get such a good deal on the PS4 preorder?
It was kind of convoluted...
Back in May/June, GCR was running a promo where you would get $100 worth of Sony points free when you signed up for a Sony MBNA credit card; GCR was tossing in a $60 Cash Back bonus, and Sony had some sort of promotion where you could save, like, $10-$25 extra on purchases over $250 or something (I missed the promo code, but my buddy was able to use it --- officially, you weren't supposed to be able to apply it to PS products, but if you ordered through Sonystyle.ca, people who tested it out found that it actually DID work on the pre-orders).

Still waiting on the $60 cash back, but I got the $100 credit applied to my Sony account w/in a few weeks of receiving the card, soon enough to get a day 1 pre-order!

I also forgot to juice the GCR Cash Back on purchases at the Sony Store. *facepalm*

You can still get the $60 Cash Back from GCR for signing up, but the credit card itself is only offering a $20 credit when signing up. Still, $80 off a pre-order is nothing to sneeze at!

http://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/shop/MBNA-Sony_Card/

That doesn't apply to Canadian residents, unfortunately.
Well you might be able to find a mark willing to get the deal for you. Pretty sure NA region codes sold in the US will work up there.

(My understanding is the $40/yr. at BBY deal will be going through next week)

When they did the "15 months for the price of 12" thing, the last few days of it overlapped with a deal where Best Buy was selling them for around $40 iirc.  Maybe we'll see something like that again.

Anyway, the PlayStation credit card is the easiest way to get a year of free PS+.  That's how my first year started.  PM me if you need details, and I'll also PayPal you $10 cash if you use my referral code (in addition to the year of PS+ and $50 PSN credit that Sony gives you).

edit: U.S. only :/

You need PS+ to play online multiplayer PS4 games.

When they did the "15 months for the price of 12" thing, the last few days of it overlapped with a deal where Best Buy was selling them for around $40 iirc. Maybe we'll see something like that again.

Anyway, the PlayStation credit card is the easiest way to get a year of free PS+. That's how my first year started. PM me if you need details, and I'll also PayPal you $10 cash if you use my referral code (in addition to the year of PS+ and $50 PSN credit that Sony gives you).
Josh you do realize this is the Canadian forum? Are you sure your Playstation Credit Card thing works here? If so, I'm interested.

Cheapest I've seen is on ebay, you could get the year code emailed to you for $39 or something.  A bunch of people on RFD were getting them a while back.

Also look for deals at retailers with big release dates ahead for: GTA5, COD:Ghosts, and PS4

When MW3 was released, Wal-Mart (in canada) had $10 PSN cards on for buy 3 get 1 free. You could then load up your wallet and combine with other future offers, like spend $50 get $10 or buy 12 months get 15, when those become offered.

Went back and confirmed and the deal is sadly EU-only (http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/08/20/gamescom-2013-playstation-plus-free-trial-announced-for-ps4)

Still, I'll eat my hat if Sony doesn't give us a similar incentive here. Watch this space. Watch this hat.
I have a pretty good feeling the 3-month for 1-year promo will make its way over here again too, just a matter of time. Thought you might've seen it confirmed in print somewhere which is why I asked.

It's probably the next best deal, considering you get $10 back, that's essentially 2 and a half months worth of PS Plus.

Cool! Thank you JEJ

So, I had 0.53$ in my wallet. I added 50$ via credit card, then I bought the 49.99$ (no tax) 1-year PSN+ sub.

When does the 10$ voucher come in? Do I need to spend an extra penny???

Cool! Thank you JEJ

So, I had 0.53$ in my wallet. I added 50$ via credit card, then I bought the 49.99$ (no tax) 1-year PSN+ sub.

When does the 10$ voucher come in? Do I need to spend an extra penny???
There were reports of folks claiming they did NOT get the $10 rebate last time they had this promo.

Buy an avatar or something for $0.50 just to be safe.

Take this with a grain of salt but with Gamestop's Black Friday ad leaked there'll be a promo of 1 Year of Playstation Plus for $30

http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/BlackFridayScans/GameStop/scans.php?id=GameStop

(On pages 4 and 6)

Whether we'll get this is doubtful but if you have a friend in the states or if we do get it it's better than the current deal.

Then again I'm grabbing Okami which is $6.99 this week and gives me an excuse to finish the game :D

That's only in the States, though, no? I don't think we've seen the Canadian black friday deals yet.

I never really remeber anything sigificant with our Black Fridays.
Every year it's the same 5$ off, buy 2 get 1 10%, spend over a 100$ get a free seleceted used game... BLAH BLAH BLAH mediocre...

We just don't seem to go blitz out crazy on black Friday like our neighbours below...

Just fyi, there is currently a banner in the PS Store that says if you buy a 1 year PS+ membership, you get 10$ back (this is a different banner than the one that says you get 10$ back for every 50$ spent in October). I jumped on it. Might as well with the PS4 on the way, I'm not planning on unsubbing from PS+ any time soon!

Just fyi, there is currently a banner in the PS Store that says if you buy a 1 year PS+ membership, you get 10$ back (this is a different banner than the one that says you get 10$ back for every 50$ spent in October). I jumped on it. Might as well with the PS4 on the way, I'm not planning on unsubbing from PS+ any time soon!
I think it's the same promo just presented differently.

That's only in the States, though, no? I don't think we've seen the Canadian black friday deals yet.
Did EBGames / Gamestop here in Canada do a Blackfriday sale last year ? cause i wanna say they didn't if they did i had no idea. ALSO i wanted to ask when you go to gamestop.ca it directs you to ebgames.ca so are they still known as gamestop up here too ( as one of the names outside is still gamestop but none of the others changed at all )

Did EBGames / Gamestop here in Canada do a Blackfriday sale last year ? cause i wanna say they didn't if they did i had no idea. ALSO i wanted to ask when you go to gamestop.ca it directs you to ebgames.ca so are they still known as gamestop up here too ( as one of the names outside is still gamestop but none of the others changed at all )
Yep.

ALSO i wanted to ask when you go to gamestop.ca it directs you to ebgames.ca so are they still known as gamestop up here too ( as one of the names outside is still gamestop but none of the others changed at all )
Yeah, they're still the same thing. At one point they seemed to want to convert everything into Gamestops because that was supposedly a better branding. But they just gave up on that back whenever they ditched the gamestop.ca url. No stores have changed names either way since AFAIK.

I think it's the same promo just presented differently.
Well technically it's the other way around, it's two different (yet almost identical) promos with the same result ;P

Stupid question, but is there any way to buy this online? ie. Not on a console? I've created a PSN profile, but don't see a banner on the PS Store anywhere...
Yea I ended up buying on PS3's PSN Store to be safe, but I'm actually pretty certain that as long as you buy a PS+ 1 year membership in any version of the PSN Store, you'll get the 10$ back. I say this because once you hit X on the promo banner on the PS3 store, it takes you to the regular PS+ 1 Year purchase page, no mention of the promo on this page. So you should be able to purchase the membership on the web store and still get the 10$ back.

bread's done
Back