Tales of Graces F $29.90 Shipped

Ooo that's tempting but I am nowhere near close to playing it soon.  Would have to go behind Ni No Kuni at the least and that's been sitting here for months since $27 used was an incredibly hot deal.

Since Play Asia is offering Atelier Ayesha US version for $25, maybe there's going to be a price drop soon over here...

Slightly tempting... but likely I would just go back and finish Vesperia instead, and by the time that's done, Symphonia Chronicles would be out (and Symphonia is supposed to be one of the best).  Graces isn't really high on anyone's "Tales" lists for some reason.  

Anyone have thoughts that would change my mind?  This is a good price...

Slightly tempting... but likely I would just go back and finish Vesperia instead, and by the time that's done, Symphonia Chronicles would be out (and Symphonia is supposed to be one of the best). Graces isn't really high on anyone's "Tales" lists for some reason.

Anyone have thoughts that would change my mind? This is a good price...
I quit playing Graces f before and picked it up again recently, since I wanna get it done before I play Xillia (or GTA5).

Though I haven't beaten the game, Vesperia and Symphonia honestly felt much better even from the get go. The battle system is so different in Graces. Unlike the other games where you attack to build up SP and then do special attacks, in this one, it's based more on a cooldown (or timer) system. Everything you do will depletes the SP bar (running around, dodging and obviously attacking) so battles can sometimes feel really restrictive. Also, I hate the battle camera... it's more of an overhead system, rather than the other game's side view system. The story is decent but the characters are pretty hit or miss.

It's still a good RPG though (so far) and worth playing if you have the time and if you can find it cheaply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Slightly tempting... but likely I would just go back and finish Vesperia instead, and by the time that's done, Symphonia Chronicles would be out (and Symphonia is supposed to be one of the best). Graces isn't really high on anyone's "Tales" lists for some reason.

Anyone have thoughts that would change my mind? This is a good price...
I've played Symphonia, Abyss, and Graces and Graces might be my favorite. Hard to say since I'm so nostalgic for Symphonia but man am I loving Graces. I'm at the last boss but doing a lot of side stuff, about 60 hours into it so far. I'd highly recommend it for that price, but you make a good point about Symphonia Chronicles.

I've spent over 100 hours on graces, probably twice as much as I have on any other JRPG this generation. It's not perfect but it does some things incredibly well. Probably the most common things people complain about are the story and especially the introduction as children. The intro lasts 3-4 hours iirc and the voice acting is bad. But it gets better. The story, unlike many other rpgs, is very limited in scope. The map is small and you'll revisit places a lot. But I don't think the story is especially bad, just very contained. The future arc doesn't really add much to the story either, it just kind of dilutes it further but there's some nice moments to be had.
The combat system is really, really good. The speed and flow of combat is addictive and the title system really made me want to grind. A lot. If you're a fan of Tales-style combat at all then you'd be crazy not to play this game.

I've spent over 100 hours on graces, probably twice as much as I have on any other JRPG this generation. It's not perfect but it does some things incredibly well. Probably the most common things people complain about are the story and especially the introduction as children. The intro lasts 3-4 hours iirc and the voice acting is bad. But it gets better. The story, unlike many other rpgs, is very limited in scope. The map is small and you'll revisit places a lot. But I don't think the story is especially bad, just very contained. The future arc doesn't really add much to the story either, it just kind of dilutes it further but there's some nice moments to be had.
The combat system is really, really good. The speed and flow of combat is addictive and the title system really made me want to grind. A lot. If you're a fan of Tales-style combat at all then you'd be crazy not to play this game.
Yeah, the kids intro does suck, but mostly because I had no idea how long to expect it to last and was getting impatient to start the "real" game. Knowing it doesn't go on very long should make it more enjoyable. Plus, in new game plus you can choose to skip the intro.

Geez, shipping totally kills this deal for me.  :(  Free Shipping takes 21 days to arrive, paid shipping costs around $14...  I told Amazon about a lower price on Ayesha and am crossing my fingers.

Loved the battle system in Graces f. Learning skills by leveling up an equipped title is brilliant. Was playing through a second time on Chaos but lost steam when new co-op games came out.

Currently playing Xillia now and feel it is a step down, mechanically. I don't even know if there's any point to titles in Xillia. And there's barely any need to do anything but button mash.

I just beat Tales of Grace f and I love it. Yes the children arc was slow but picked up right away. This is the cheapest I've seen. I brought it off PlayAsia months ago for $35. If you are not going to play it right away, 21 days shouldn't be a problem.

Okay, gonna bite on Graces and also pick up a 3DS LL/XL stand.  Anyone have a $5 off $50 code I can use?  I'd use your referral link as well... :)

Vesperia and Xillia IMHO are better titles, but this is still a worthy JRPG. If you do all of the side quests and the additional story after the end boss the game is very long (too long for me, actually).

Hmm, never ordered from Playasia before, tempted by both - i guess the $5 off $50 codes mentioned above aren't readily available from what I can tell.

bread's done
Back