* * * - - 29 votes

RetroN 5 $129.99 with free shipping @ ThinkGeek - The RetroN 5 deals thread

#61 karkyco   $$$ CAGiversary!   6811 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:36 PM

Amazing.  Put in an order for a black one.

Guest_Virtua_*

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:48 PM

So what do they mean by "Hardware emulation"? Is this just an android device loaded up with SNES 9X or whatever or did Hyperkin actually find a way to reproduce an approximation of the legacy hardware? For good enough emulation I have my PC or the virtual console on Wii, but if this thing is super accurate like BSNES and the like I will grab one.

No, at $100 it doesn't have the hardware for accurate emulation. You are getting sloppy, hacked together approximations of how the games were.

Also why do people keep talking about patents running out like it means anything? This thing doesn't support N64 because the hardware requirements are too high and there is very little progress made on even "good enough" N64 emulation on PC.

I just hate to see people waste their money on these things. They are always produced as cheaply as possible and will probably break before the old hardware from the 80s and 90s that its imitating will.

#63 SOLGarion   The devil is in the details. CAGiversary!   267 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

SOLGarion

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

Also why do people keep talking about patents running out like it means anything?

When you are talking about KIRFs sold in China or imported into grey markets yoh are right, patents do not matter. NES clones were available from shady means and imports before the NES patents expired but jumped into mainstream outlets once they did.

In this case this product is legal because of expired patents. It would not be if it included any way of playing N64 carts because that would necessitate using some part of nintendos still valid patents. That is why they matter and people were asking about itm

I cannot speak on the cost of supporting N64 but I truly cannot imagine it is that much since andriod on a stick emulation can do N64 now pretty well as far as emulation goes.

#64 gaypunk   Omni-Gellin CAGiversary!   142 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:30 PM

I don't see how it is a waste of money. I have multiple versions of all these original systems. A man my age (mid-thirties) gets funny looks from spouses and guests when the entertainment center is exploding with 25 year old gaming equipment. Elegant solutions are totally welcomed. Plus, retron has a great track record. I agree some knock off and all-in-one systems suck, but these people have positive buzz for a reason, quality.  Also, totally legal is a plus. 

I'll never get rid of my console collection, but it belongs in storage. I don't use anything enough to have them out all the time. This totally works for me. 

I just hate to see people waste their money on these things. They are always produced as cheaply as possible and will probably break before the old hardware from the 80s and 90s that its imitating will.

#65 Chrono Gear   For the Horde! CAGiversary!   5189 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Chrono Gear

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:36 PM

Wow. Normally as a purist I wouldn't touch one of these with a ten foot pole but after looking at the features I'm willing to give it a whirl. Upscaling and save states sound awesome. Considering I just spend ~$130 on a SMS a month ago, I can't really complain about the price for one of these. Preordered one of each till I can decide which color I want.

#66 AwRy108   AwRy108 CAGiversary!   2049 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:39 PM

Very interested in this, but waiting for impression before throwing money at it.

#67 speedracer   Banned Banned   3735 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

speedracer

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:48 PM

If it did Atari it would be perfect. 

Guest_Virtua_*

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:53 PM

When you are talking about KIRFs sold in China or imported into grey markets yoh are right, patents do not matter. NES clones were available from shady means and imports before the NES patents expired but jumped into mainstream outlets once they did.

In this case this product is legal because of expired patents. It would not be if it included any way of playing N64 carts because that would necessitate using some part of nintendos still valid patents. That is why they matter and people were asking about itm

I cannot speak on the cost of supporting N64 but I truly cannot imagine it is that much since andriod on a stick emulation can do N64 now pretty well as far as emulation goes.

If "patents" matter then why does it support Game Boy Advance and Game Boy Color - they came out years after N64? Well, i hope the upscaling is very good on this, and i'm wrong, but never has one of these things been anything but a very poor replacement for the real thing. 

The one thing that does interest me is the ability to play Famicom games on it, but I recently got a Gyromite with an NES to Famicom adapter for cheap so I don't even really require that. 

#69 NeoGutsman   CAG Backlogger CAGiversary!   1635 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:59 PM

Interesting.

I own all the systems this thing emulates...so I have 100's of carts, too. 

Actually pretty tempted in this, since I have a "free slot" in my entertainment center.  Something about playing this over an emulator on the computer appeals to me.  The only real reason I wouldn't drag out the old consoles individually is that it just requires too much space (while I live in an apartment).

Definitely gonna wait on reviews before getting one.  But, that gray one looks awesome!

I also have hundreds of carts for all the systems it supports.  This would be perfect for me since I have limited space in my entertainment center.  The save state feature and the ability to upscale things on my main HDTV are pretty darn near selling points for me, but I want to know how well it runs games.

I'm going to preorder with the hope that some previews come out before launch.

#70 destro4eva   Banned Banned   1210 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

destro4eva

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:12 PM

There's just one thing holding me back from getting this...No Sega Master System cart slot.  Unless I am missing something. 

Maybe that Sega Power Base Converter can be shaved to fit onto this thing??? Just a thought. 

#71 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2602 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

Your concern is appreciated. But at $100, it's also a little unfounded. Hyperkin has a reputation in the Famiclone scene for making better, sturdier reproduction systems. This is compared to other famiclones, obviously, and not compared to the original Nintendo hardware. (which is legendary for its durability)

While you are correct about this product not providing much more than emulation does, it still has value to collectors. I collect the original carts. And a device like this provides a capable test bed that works on modern screens. For a collector like me there is ample value right there. Hyperkin is also going out of their way to incorporate most of the advantages that emulation usually provides into a device that runs the original cartridges. This at least places their Retron 5 at parity with the standard emulation approach. The custom-designed controller is the icing on the cake. They are designing it based off of the Neo Geo Pocket's directional pad. It should prove quite comfortable for a lot of different classic games.

For my part, I will hold off on pre-ordering until we get an official release date. The October 31st listed on Amazon is filler. Hyperkin themselves haven't announced when the Retron 5 is being released. I'll pre-order one of these when we get a hard date from the company itself.

#72 blueweltall   Kill the Batman CAGiversary!   6352 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

blueweltall

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:27 PM

Looks cool but I don't have any cartridges left.

Guest_Virtua_*

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:31 PM

Maybe that Sega Power Base Converter can be shaved to fit onto this thing??? Just a thought. 

They do work but you have to disassemble them to get it to fit or buy a smaller Master System converter that's just a pass-through. But you won't be able to use the game card games with that. And the compatability isn't great, it's not perfect on a real genesis and it's lesser here because of the emulation going on.

Also look at some comparison videos for the previous versions of this product. Ugh, that sound..

#74 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2602 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:41 PM

And the compatability isn't great, it's not perfect on a real genesis and it's lesser here because of the emulation going on.

Compatibility isn't likely to be an issue with the Retron 5. It's been a major issue with previous FamiClones. The usual example is Castlevania 3. (which never runs properly on famiclones) The more emulation-centric approach the Retron 5 is taking will actually mitigate a lot of the worry with compatibility. Not only should compatibility be much higher than usual with the system, but it will be possible to improve compatibility over time with firmware updates.

At the same time, I seriously doubt that you will be able to jury-rig Master System compatibility into the Retron 5. It's clear that Hyperkin is targeting the retro consoles with the largest install bases with this release. The Genesis, SNES, and NES were obvious choices. the GBA slot and Famicom/Super Famicom support are a nice bonus. (especially the GBA slot, I have a lot of classic portable games to use with that)

While there might be some demand for more obscure systems, I seriously doubt that Hyperkin will be in any hurry to support them in future iterations. My guess is that their next project after this one would be to release a retro-focused optical system. (for playing classic disc games)

Guest_Virtua_*

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:44 PM

Compatibility isn't likely to be an issue with the Retron 5. It's been a major issue with previous FamiClones. The usual example is Castlevania 3. (which never runs properly on famiclones) The more emulation-centric approach the Retron 5 is taking will actually mitigate a lot of the worry with compatibility. Not only should compatibility be much higher than usual with the system, but it will be possible to improve compatibility over time with firmware updates.

At the same time, I seriously doubt that you will be able to jury-rig Master System compatibility into the Retron 5. It's clear that Hyperkin is targeting the retro consoles with the largest install bases with this release. The Genesis, SNES, and NES were obvious choices. the GBA slot and Famicom/Super Famicom support are a nice bonus. (especially the GBA slot, I have a lot of classic portable games to use with that)

While there might be some demand for more obscure systems, I seriously doubt that Hyperkin will be in any hurry to support them in future iterations. My guess is that their next project after this one would be to release a retro-focused optical system. (for playing classic disc games)

I'm talking specifically about compatibility when using a Power Base Converter on a Retron in Genesis mode - it's already imperfect on a real genesis and probably even worse for Sega Master Systems through Power Base+Retron.

#76 Cocojames333   CAGiversary! Silenced   539 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Cocojames333

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:56 PM

I'm talking specifically about compatibility when using a Power Base Converter on a Retron in Genesis mode - it's already imperfect on a real genesis and probably even worse for Sega Master Systems through Power Base+Retron.

Omg get over it already. Lol...

#77 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2602 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:00 PM

I believe I already addressed this in my post. For all we know, rigging a Power Base Converter up to the Retron 5 might be impossible, even if you disassembled it. Most Genesis emulation software doesn't automatically support Master System games. And as you pointed out, the Master System had two different cartridge slots. Providing space for both on the Retron 5 would be overkill. I for one have no intention of trying to shove my Power Base Converter into the Retron 5. (those things aren't easy to come by)

100% compatibility is unlikely no matter how you slice it. Even the Retron 5 probably won't be 100% compatible with the systems it's designed to support. There will almost certainly be a few titles that don't work properly. As long as they manage to get up in the high 90% range, it should still be a viable FamiClone.

There are also the various games that won't be possible to play properly on the Retron 5, even if the sofware itself runs fine. I would point to WarioWare Twisted and Kirby's Tilt & Tumble as examples. Both of those games will most likely run on the Retron 5. But both of them are dependent on tilt controls built into the cartridges themselves. In order to play them you would have to pick the console itself up and shift it around. You also wouldn't get the same effect, since the screen wouldn't shift with you.

Perfect 1:1 compatibility is a pipe dream, especially considering the breadth of gaming history, and the sheer variety that exists within it. I just need them to hit a decent chunk, and provide solid performance and hardware.

#78 gaypunk   Omni-Gellin CAGiversary!   142 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:11 PM

Right. They have stated themselves that it's just not going to work, so don't expect it to. They also don't really comment on peripherals. The gyro games will work, but exactly as you say, we're not going to be rotating this device.

And, just to add, I don't know about all you, but a good chunk of my Game Boy and Snes games don't save any more. The same system here is a big deal for me. 

I believe I already addressed this in my post. For all we know, rigging a Power Base Converter up to the Retron 5 might be impossible, even if you disassembled it. 

#79 therealdeal19   GIANT ENEMY CRABS!!! CAGiversary!   1111 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

therealdeal19

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:13 PM

Why would you compare this product to the RetroN3? They have completely different approaches for both hardware and software.

#80 Booj   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   169 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:36 PM

Q: Why buy this when you can just purchase the original consoles?

A: Have you seen the ebay prices for a perfectly working NES, SNES, Famicom, Super Famicom, Genesis, Megadrive, and Gameboy Color?  Not even going into the HDMI ports, trying to position wires for 10 systems in your living room, etc

Q: Why not just get an emulator?

A: Because sometimes its fun to play the original game with the original controller. Sure, its not exactly the same.. but It does the job well, its a dedicated console, (so I don't have to leave my gaming PC in the living room when company comes over) and its only $100 to play my extensive collection of both American and Japanese NES/SNES games.

#81 SirConnery   I'm selling all my Game Boy games! CAGiversary!   939 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:43 PM

I preordered the grey unit.

I played their prototype at Midwest Gaming Classic and liked it. The interface does feel like PS3's. I'm not so hot on the wireless controller, but that's no issue since I'll just plug in one of my retro game pads anyway. I'm getting it to play original black & white Gameboy games and SNES reproductions.

Personally, I think Nintendo should have bought the rights to this and called it "Nintendo Generation". They could have re-released the best of their games on cartridges (or flash chips inside cartridges) to work with it. They could have even left the Genesis slot to make comparisons among the generation. Instead Nintendo does virtual console, which in my mind seems to kill the whole concept of retro. If I can't hold a cartridge in my hand, it's just not the same.

#82 tylerh1701   Post deals, not your blog. CAGiversary!   30583 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:43 PM

Looks cool but I don't have any cartridges left.

This is me too.  I have all my stupid clunky old consoles because they're not worth anything to resell.  All my good game cartridges are long gone though because they still had some value.

#83 SirConnery   I'm selling all my Game Boy games! CAGiversary!   939 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:44 PM

If this system gets enough buzz, it's going to revitalize the resale shop market. So many stores are sitting on classic plastic and don't know what to do with it all. They sell earlier Retron variations, but none of them have the features and accessibility this one should have.

#84 KillerRamen   OMG Lilac PSP! CAGiversary!   3649 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:47 PM

I have all of these systems currently hooked up to my TV, but I'm really excited about this release! I'm stoked to finally be able to use HDMI.

#85 AionTelos   is PLUS ONE PIG! CAGiversary!   932 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:00 PM

I own all these systems but still wouldn't mind not having to have them all hooked up and just this one.

I'll hold off till some comparisons are made.

#86 Desousa93   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   628 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:15 PM

Don't want to spend the money but damn the HD the all in one the wireless controller those are sweet features. I own most of the systems but I'd rather put them in a class case and love them from afar instead of watching the slowly die as I play them to death.

#87 Desousa93   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   628 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:20 PM

Also does this only output HDmi? Since it's 720 I hope it does component

#88 NeoStrider   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   412 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

NeoStrider

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:33 PM

been waiting to get this, just wish the system didn't look so hideous, hope they add the option to use Dualshock or WiiU controllers since its uses bluetooth

#89 Drclaw411   I miss Cartoon Orbit CAGiversary!   3277 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:04 PM

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet...you can use any controller to play anything. So if you want to play NES with a Genesis controller, you can.

#90 TPerryoo7   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1707 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:06 PM

Ive been antiquated this greatly aswell, Im not getting a PS4, or XBone, I will be getting this

i HOPE that other places besides amazon will have pre orders ready to go.