* * * - - 29 votes

RetroN 5 $129.99 with free shipping @ ThinkGeek - The RetroN 5 deals thread

#2341 Noperino   Whoop, nope. CAGiversary!   1390 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:51 PM

Speaking of cords, I bought two wireless SNES controllers. I've been bogged down lately with the holiday and work but once I get them out and test them, I'll let you know on if they are worth it. I'm mainly buying them for when I go to work with the Retron as our HDTV is mounted too high.

Maybe you can keep a water gun next to you while you play with original controllers. I think it'll enhance your Retron 5 experience seeing as how it doesn't support a light gun   :rofl:

My dad uses a spray bottle that he got from the dollar store. :D

#2342 MSUHitman   Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   14077 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:43 PM

Giant Bomb did 2 videos on July 3 featuring the RetroN5:

Contra NES playthrough:

Freedom stream with various NES, Genesis, SNES, Famicom, & Super Famicom games:

#2343 Kyanos   Big Kitty CAGiversary!   899 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:36 PM

Has anyone tried out Jurassic Park (SNES)? I'm having an issue where the HUD is messed up and it doesn't fill the screen, wanted to see if anyone else had this.Jurassic Park (USA)-0.jpg

#2344 deathfromace   Sega Collector CAGiversary!   733 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

deathfromace

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:38 PM

Has anyone tried out Jurassic Park (SNES)? I'm having an issue where the HUD is messed up and it doesn't fill the screen, wanted to see if anyone else had this.attachicon.gifJurassic Park (USA)-0.jpg

I would try forcing original aspect ratio. It just looks like it's trying to stretch it to make it fit right on the screen.

#2345 Kyanos   Big Kitty CAGiversary!   899 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:48 PM

I would try forcing original aspect ratio. It just looks like it's trying to stretch it to make it fit right on the screen.

I did try that, I'm not worried about the stretching, it's the HUD not being solid that is annoying me.

#2346 Jiryn   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4261 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:03 PM

You have to train the cat early on to stop chewing cords. When I'm recording gameplay, I have a rat's nest of A/V cords around my desk and he loves to come chew on them. I'd keep him off them with a water gun. Poor thing used to have so many streaks of water in his fur before he realized he needs to stop chewing on cables if he wants to stay dry.

Maybe you can keep a water gun next to you while you play with original controllers. I think it'll enhance your Retron 5 experience seeing as how it doesn't support a light gun  :rofl:

Oh god he was just a kitten, 6weeks old when we got him... and we did EVERYTHING to try and stop or slow down his chewing.
Nothing worked.

He didn't flinch or run when sprayed with a water bottle.

Lemon juice didn't bug him

Sour/Bitter sprays didn't bug him.

The only thing we learned was to stand up, or bap him on the nose and he'd run away. The worst was there were multiple times I woke up to him chewing on my lamp, alarm clock and blinds cord in my bedroom cause he was so loud when doing it.

Giant Bomb did 2 videos on July 3 featuring the RetroN5:

Contra NES playthrough:

Freedom stream with various NES, Genesis, SNES, Famicom, & Super Famicom games:

I've been trying to figure out how they do recording like that.

I want to record my gameplay.. but I also want to stream.

I don't want my recordings to pick up what I am saying in the stream however since I like to go back and edit footage together for future use.

#2347 GBAstar   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9696 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:40 PM

So what are the biggest hardware problems people are having?

I have a black console that works fine and I sold my gray console to someone in France. He is claiming it is DOA and sent me a video showing me that it won't power on:

https://mega.co.nz/#...BUieLXhbgqZnvzY

^ Requires you download the file (audio in french / broken English)

My first thought (and response) was "duh... you're not holding the power button down long enough" but he said he has tried that and it still won't power up. He is saying that it is getting power (you can see the power light come one when the AC adapter is plugged in) but there is an issue because when he taps the controller inputs the power source light flickers. 

I'm at my camp and won't be near my Retron until I come home later next week so I have no way of telling if that is normal or a sign that his unit is defective. I know there have been all kinds of complaints in this thread but I honestly skimmed most of them since my black unit worked fine right of the box.

Is this a common issue? I typically hate troubleshooting hardware problems with people over the internet because most are either scammers or people too dumb to figure it out / have already convinced themselves the product is defective but I want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything (already suggested he switch out the AC adapter)

#2348 Pardue  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:16 AM

I typically hate troubleshooting hardware problems with people over the internet because most are either scammers or people too dumb to figure it out / have already convinced themselves the product is defective but I want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything (already suggested he switch out the AC adapter)

Might I suggest homeopathy? Prayer mixed with occasional flailing? A seance? Buying a ticket for a Hyperkin customer service rep to fly out to France and troubleshoot it?

All might be better options than belittling the people you're asking to help you.

#2349 jcmeadows   Even I'm embarrassed CAGiversary!   2235 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:38 AM

I've been trying to figure out how they do recording like that.
I want to record my gameplay.. but I also want to stream.
I don't want my recordings to pick up what I am saying in the stream however since I like to go back and edit footage together for future use.

They use a game capture device and a webcam and some kinda of software. I use an Elgato Gamecapture Device and Open Broadcast Software. It's free and it's pretty easy to set up broadcasts like that as long as you got room and decent computer and equipment. There are some pretty good videos on YouTube on how to set up OBS.

#2350 Pirate331   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1113 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:19 AM

Might I suggest homeopathy? Prayer mixed with occasional flailing? A seance? Buying a ticket for a Hyperkin customer service rep to fly out to France and troubleshoot it?

All might be better options than belittling the people you're asking to help you.

GBAstar was talking about the buyer in France, not the CAG users he's hoping will help him. As in, "trying to fix the French guy's problem over the internet is a huge pain in the ass, as is most long-distance troubleshooting, because (reasons stated in prior post)."

#2351 Sion   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   390 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:20 AM

Has anyone tried using a SG ProPad 6 (or the 2 which I believe is the same but a rebranding) or Super Pad by Performance for the Genesis and know if they work with the RetroN 5? Planning on having these shipped from a friend that is getting rid of his old accessories and wanted to make sure at least one of them is going to work before I pay him for what he is expecting them to sell for on ebay (with friend discount :D)  plus shipping.

#2352 mitch079   Don't be a moron! CAGiversary!   12651 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:25 PM

My guess on the French guy's problem is one, he's not holding the button in that I can tell in the video but appears to be rapidly clicking it on and off.  Two, maybe there's an issue with the power conversion from Europe to US.  

#2353 Nax5   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   624 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:34 AM

I'm just wondering on why someone would want a second Retron controller. I guess if the current one craps out or... you actually like it? =|

It is definitely great for RPGs. And much easier to play with fast-forward compared to using a regular controller.

#2354 Noperino   Whoop, nope. CAGiversary!   1390 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:39 AM

It is definitely great for RPGs. And much easier to play with fast-forward compared to using a regular controller.

You can always map fast forward to a retro gamepad too. =) 

#2355 A Halo Turtle   A Halo Turtle CAGiversary!   134 Posts   Joined 5.1 Years Ago  

A Halo Turtle

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:07 AM

If your close to or near Woodstock Georgia , Max Video Games currently has a surplus of Retron 5s in stock. Picked one up the other day and I'm loving it. Gentleman at the store said they had around 15 left , I went to the store on 7/3

#2356 GtoTheNextLevel   Welcome to the Next Level CAGiversary!   1873 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

GtoTheNextLevel

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:25 PM

I'm loving mine so far, the only real complaint that I have with it is that the Genesis and Famicom slots are wayyy too tight on their grips on the cartridges. I feel like I'm break a game or strip the slot one of these days.

#2357 jcmeadows   Even I'm embarrassed CAGiversary!   2235 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:56 PM

I'm loving mine so far, the only real complaint that I have with it is that the Genesis and Famicom slots are wayyy too tight on their grips on the cartridges. I feel like I'm break a game or strip the slot one of these days.

After a few weeks of pulling  them in and out they will loosen up. Anymore with mine I only have a cart or to that seems to be tight, not sure why. 

#2358 David Hibiki   You must be tired... CAGiversary!   11358 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

David Hibiki

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:14 PM

http://www.amazon.co...&pf_rd_i=507846 14 left in stock at Go Hastings.

$14 over MSRP when you count shipping included. Better then the eBay prices anyways of $180-$190 for recent completed auctions.

#2359 Sion   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   390 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:56 PM

10408987_10152292862096888_2907740589705

Saw this posted on Hyperkin's FB page a week back and forgot to post about it but apparently a few people are having issues with the pins bending outwards on their console in different slots. Feel bad for those who though they had a perfect unit with everything working fine just to have this happen. Really hope this isn't something that is going to appear in more units with further usage ><.

#2360 Noperino   Whoop, nope. CAGiversary!   1390 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:07 AM

Over the past week I've learned that pretty much no local store around me has ever carried any sort of Famicom or Super Famicom game. A local game store told me that had a few then retracted their previous statement and said they never had any when I came in (ugh). 2nd and Charles claimed they never had any in and if they did the employee smugly replied "we would probably buy them ourselves before we ever sold them to customers". eStarland is where I got my first few thanks to their GamerXchange event. But as for the store itself, all they have are mostly crappy sports games, pachinko games, or really old and obscure licensed anime games. eStarland also overcharges for even the crappiest of crappy import Super Famicom games.

Despite them being nearly nonexistent in stores around me that would actually carry them, eBay seems to have several games for fairly cheap. I'm tempted to grab one of the Fire Emblem's since I love the series but I may opt for the repro instead with the translation. I guess we'll see. :D

#2361 Plankfan   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   73 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Plankfan

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:22 AM

10408987_10152292862096888_2907740589705

Saw this posted on Hyperkin's FB page a week back and forgot to post about it but apparently a few people are having issues with the pins bending outwards on their console in different slots. Feel bad for those who though they had a perfect unit with everything working fine just to have this happen. Really hope this isn't something that is going to appear in more units with further usage ><.

I had this exact thing happen to my NES slot a few days back. Doesn't seem to be affecting cartridge readability though (yet).

#2362 mitch079   Don't be a moron! CAGiversary!   12651 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:20 AM

http://www.amazon.co...&pf_rd_i=507846 14 left in stock at Go Hastings.

$14 over MSRP when you count shipping included. Better then the eBay prices anyways of $180-$190 for recent completed auctions.

And better than what they have them priced at on their website.  $180 for the black, $233 for the grey.  BOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#2363 AionTelos   is PLUS ONE PIG! CAGiversary!   927 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:52 AM

My local 2nd and Charles has a few of these things in stock. I've been bouncing the idea of picking one up. I've got all the older systems though haha.

#2364 hertzy  

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:08 PM

I just picked one up at the FYE in the Berkshire Mall in Reading, PA yesterday.  Only one on the floor but could have more in the back.  I never had a snes.  If there is one game I should get for the snes, what would you say it should be.

#2365 Noperino   Whoop, nope. CAGiversary!   1390 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:06 AM

I just picked one up at the FYE in the Berkshire Mall in Reading, PA yesterday.  Only one on the floor but could have more in the back.  I never had a snes.  If there is one game I should get for the snes, what would you say it should be.

Super Mario World is a great game to start out with and it shouldn't be too terribly expensive.

#2366 Kenshindono   I'm on a Boat! CAGiversary!   4714 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Kenshindono

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:34 AM

WARNING

Do not use Fire Emblem in these things!

At least not the GBA ones. I tried putting it in for my first GBA test and it seems to have wiped out one of my saves. I dont think it did my main save but the one i had a map or two back (the one i loaded up) After i quit the game and tried putting it back in the GBA to test, the middle save slot was gone. I didn't try the sacred stones yet, not sure if it does the same thing. 

Anyone else had this problem? I know that game is a bit unique in that it saves your spot when your playing normally. Maybe the Retron cant handle that? Kinda sucks since GBA games were the main reason i actually got this thing really. Now though im super worried about putting my rpgs like Breath of fire, or Chrono trigger, FF, ect in here. Does this thing have an issue with wiping out saves? Im very leery now about using this!

Blea, major disapointment there. Well, anyway obviously i tested this out the other day. Seems to load everything up fine. Fire emblem for the GBA took WAY longer than the other games i put in. Like a good 40 seconds or so to load up. I need to test the controller ports but the initial tests seemed fine, untill i did Fire emblem and lost my saves. I have

App V1.0(Build1223)

System Software V 0.20

Hardware revision v1.0

listed in system menu. Should i try a system update? Is save wiping a problem with the older software? This is a big issue. Obviously no one wants to use a system that may randomly wipe your saves o_O

Oh yes, and theres one other issue.. powering on is odd. The power button has to be held for like 6 or 7 seconds to turn on! That doesn't seem right. I thought it was broken at first. Is that just the way it works?

#2367 deathfromace   Sega Collector CAGiversary!   733 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

deathfromace

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:45 AM

WARNING

Do not use Fire Emblem in these things!

At least not the GBA ones. I tried putting it in for my first GBA test and it seems to have wiped out one of my saves. I dont think it did my main save but the one i had a map or two back (the one i loaded up) After i quit the game and tried putting it back in the GBA to test, the middle save slot was gone. I didn't try the sacred stones yet, not sure if it does the same thing. 

Anyone else had this problem? I know that game is a bit unique in that it saves your spot when your playing normally. Maybe the Retron cant handle that? Kinda sucks since GBA games were the main reason i actually got this thing really. Now though im super worried about putting my rpgs like Breath of fire, or Chrono trigger, FF, ect in here. Does this thing have an issue with wiping out saves? Im very leery now about using this!

Blea, major disapointment there. Well, anyway obviously i tested this out the other day. Seems to load everything up fine. Fire emblem for the GBA took WAY longer than the other games i put in. Like a good 40 seconds or so to load up. I need to test the controller ports but the initial tests seemed fine, untill i did Fire emblem and lost my saves. I have

App V1.0(Build1223)

System Software V 0.20

Hardware revision v1.0

listed in system menu. Should i try a system update? Is save wiping a problem with the older software? This is a big issue. Obviously no one wants to use a system that may randomly wipe your saves o_O

Oh yes, and theres one other issue.. powering on is odd. The power button has to be held for like 6 or 7 seconds to turn on! That doesn't seem right. I thought it was broken at first. Is that just the way it works?

You need to update http://retron5.in/node/2

1. That is how the console turns on

2. Turn off auto import saves

3. No idea if clearing saves is gone or not but it has not happened to me with manually importing my saves but I have not tried to push them back to the cart yet.

#2368 Blackshear   Anomaly CAGiversary!   368 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Blackshear

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:52 AM

Im enjoying my system but cant get the firmware to update.. will say installing for 10+ mins then I get error 1001

#2369 SangesTheLurker   This is good, right? I mean, it doesn't suck... CAGiversary!   1033 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

SangesTheLurker

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:20 AM

I never had a snes.  If there is one game I should get for the snes, what would you say it should be.

Super Metroid would be my one and only, especially if you're even remotely a metroidvania fan.

And if not Super Mario World as someone else mentioned, then I'd throw my vote behind Super Mario All-Stars (enhanced versions of the original... three? plus the "lost levels" released as Super Mario Bros 2 in Japan) if it hasn't been re-released on the Wii/U and you haven't snagged it.

#2370 Blumpkin   Lunar Lander CAGiversary!   3095 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:35 AM

I never had a snes. If there is one game I should get for the snes, what would you say it should be.

I'd go either Super Mario World or Legend of Zelda Link to the Past.