* * * - - 29 votes

RetroN 5 $129.99 with free shipping @ ThinkGeek - The RetroN 5 deals thread

#241 Navex   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   891 Posts   Joined 2.9 Years Ago  

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:49 PM

So Amazon took down the entire page for this thing or what. I never knew sucha  console or company that made these existed until now.

#242 Sludgepond   The Trigger CAGiversary!   191 Posts   Joined 2.8 Years Ago  

Sludgepond

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:59 PM

Amazon has the listing back up with a December 31st release date. I'm guessing they'll be shipping earlier than that though:
http://www.amazon.co...ywords=retron 5

11rqjyh.jpg

#243 AwRy108   AwRy108 CAGiversary!   1984 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:46 PM

The Retron 5 is an emulator. It does not use original system hardware to run the games, it uses an ARM chip and their own version of the android operating system and emulation software. The carts act as the ROMs. No piracy, but it is still an emulator. 

...and this is exactly why I refuse to buy one of these without some lengthy hands-on impressions:  I want to read that the software emulation is truly as spot-on as they claim it to be; otherwise, I'll just buy up the old consoles for cheap, which is actually not very difficult.

#244 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   1499 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:34 PM

otherwise, I'll just buy up the old consoles for cheap, which is actually not very difficult.

It's not impossible, certainly. But it depends on your location and availability. And even then it's not going to be $100 cheap. The cheapest I've seen a SNES in my area is $50, and I actually have a pretty good selection. Trying to get a NES, SNES, Genesis, Famicom, and a GameBoy Advance all together is definitely going to run more than $100. And if you really want to play your GameBoy Advance on a TV, you're going to be needing a GameCube and a GameBoy Player to attach to your GameCube. And you would have to mod your SNES to play Super Famicom games.

I fully endorse waiting for hands-on impressions. That's just prudent. And there will be plenty of people picking one of these up, so there will likely be plenty of reviews, unboxings, and first-hand impressions to peruse.

#245 Crunchewy   What? CAGiversary!   17742 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:54 PM

The fact that this is an emulator is awesome. I use to be into emulators but eventually started to feel not so good about downloading ROMs. This gives us the emulator good stuff (state saves, filters, etc) without the downloading ROMs part. Plus searching for carts, and good deals on them, out in the wild can be pretty fun. It's the best of bother worlds. I don't have the funds right now, but it doesn't matter anyway since pre-orders are over.

Crunchewy.png

#246 CGlade   Game On! CAGiversary!   290 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:30 PM

Controller is hideous.  But then again who would use it anyway over the classics :)

#247 ps2emotions   8 bit heaven CAGiversary!   945 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

ps2emotions

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:55 PM

I have 10 consoles hooked up to my hdtv in my living room and 1,000s of games on shelves but still I like the idea behind this. Recently though I've been getting into the sega master system and man I just love playing games like zillion on the original 1987 system. 

Mattblazing78.png?5614

#248 Kyanos   Big Kitty CAGiversary!   734 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:09 PM

Amazon has the listing back up with a December 31st release date. I'm guessing they'll be shipping earlier than that though:
http://www.amazon.co...ywords=retron 5

Hmm, only the gray one so far. I hope my order for the black one is still okay.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#249 skubish   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   864 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:53 PM

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble but my order got delayed until 1/2014. Did anyone else?
Posted Image

Posted Image

3DS Friend Code: 2406 5141 9292

#250 Boss   Bowser the Great CAGiversary!   1787 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:16 PM

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble but my order got delayed until 1/2014. Did anyone else?

"Hyperkin RetroN 5 Retro Gaming System - Black"
    Estimated arrival date: January 03, 2014

GameTZ -- Ebay

#251 Kyanos   Big Kitty CAGiversary!   734 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:58 PM

I wouldn't worry about the 12/31 release date. It's not uncommon for them to use the last day of the year when they don't know an exact release date (even though Hyperkin has announced one).

I did get updated on my black one to the same time frame this morning.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#252 EdgeCrusher36   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   883 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

EdgeCrusher36

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:14 PM

Yeah, that's a place holder date for just about every site.  It will be updated whenever amazon gets to it.

#253 Drclaw411   I miss Cartoon Orbit CAGiversary!   3247 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:30 PM

pre-orders are open at newegg, op updated

WTB: Outback Joey ($900 bounty for cart only!)

#254 gatordeve86   CAG Master CAGiversary!   813 Posts   Joined 2.9 Years Ago  

gatordeve86

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:30 AM

lost me at lack of MasterSystem slot

Gator%20Deve%2086.jpg

#255 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   1499 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:41 AM

lost me at lack of MasterSystem slot

They've adapted the Retron 5 specifically so that it would be compatible with the Sega PowerBase Converter. If you have a PowerBase, or known where to get one, you can play Master System games on the Retron 5.

For a lot of classic gamers this will make Master System support a bit scarce. While the PowerBase Converter isn't extremely rare, it isn't particularly common either. Also, this move on Hyperkin's part is going to inflate the demand for the PowerBase on the secondhand market. If you want to play Master System games on the Retron 5, I would strongly advise looking for a PowerBase NOW.

#256 Drclaw411   I miss Cartoon Orbit CAGiversary!   3247 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:51 AM

Come on, guys...

retron5firstworldproblems_zpse9db66d1.jp

WTB: Outback Joey ($900 bounty for cart only!)

#257 Chrono Gear   For the Horde! CAGiversary!   4666 Posts   Joined 4.8 Years Ago  

Chrono Gear

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:55 AM

Available at Newegg huh? Switch and skip out on the $20 in taxes or keep my Amazon preorder and get them significantly faster? Decisions decisions.

#258 chimpmeister   Hates gimmicks CAGiversary!   2637 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

chimpmeister

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:23 AM

Available at Newegg huh? Switch and skip out on the $20 in taxes or keep my Amazon preorder and get them significantly faster? Decisions decisions.

Newegg isn't always the best at preorders, they've been known to cancel many times in the past.  Is it worth saving ~$6 (or whatever your tax rate is, mine is 6%) to take that chance?  Doesn't seem like it to me.

#259 KillerRamen   OMG Lilac PSP! CAGiversary!   3308 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

KillerRamen

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:59 AM

They've adapted the Retron 5 specifically so that it would be compatible with the Sega PowerBase Converter. If you have a PowerBase, or known where to get one, you can play Master System games on the Retron 5.

For a lot of classic gamers this will make Master System support a bit scarce. While the PowerBase Converter isn't extremely rare, it isn't particularly common either. Also, this move on Hyperkin's part is going to inflate the demand for the PowerBase on the secondhand market. If you want to play Master System games on the Retron 5, I would strongly advise looking for a PowerBase NOW.

I think it's really cool of them to have re-designed it slightly for Master System support, but I suspect (or rather hope) that Hyperkin makes their own PowerBase Converter for the Retron 5. It wouldn't be the first time a company made something like this and something similar to the Master System II converter would be sufficient.

MasterSystemConverterII_MD_EU_Box_Front.

Posted Image

#260 Chrono Gear   For the Horde! CAGiversary!   4666 Posts   Joined 4.8 Years Ago  

Chrono Gear

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:58 AM

Newegg isn't always the best at preorders, they've been known to cancel many times in the past. Is it worth saving ~$6 (or whatever your tax rate is, mine is 6%) to take that chance? Doesn't seem like it to me.

I've never had a problem with Newegg preorders but then it has been a while.

#261 bsesb2003   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1256 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

bsesb2003

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:15 AM

From summer to almost 2014...hmmm

[cp][/cp]

#262 freakyzeeky   Trophy Whore CAGiversary!   3923 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

freakyzeeky

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:54 AM

Better late than never, I'd say... ;)

#263 SolidSnake86   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   708 Posts   Joined 5.3 Years Ago  

SolidSnake86

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:59 AM

Not coming out until after Christmas? The holidays are ruined. What's my alternative, an Xbox One or PS4? No thank you. The graphics are too life-like and violent. 

#264 ssjChris   Whoop, nope. CAGiversary!   1283 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:24 AM

I've never had a problem with Newegg preorders but then it has been a while.

Been using Newegg pre orders for 3-4 years and I believed they only cancelled on me once during a Black Friday deal they had. That aside, they ship fast, but the way they package anything generally sucks. Knowing how this will be likely be in a box, it's not that big of an issue. But if you have something that can be bend, say a paperback book, software (without a case), and or just something with a crappy box (Shin Megami Tensei IV is a great example), expect it to be bent or smashed. 

As for Retron 5, I was originally not too into the idea of this console. It's not very good looking, but the OS and large range of systems it can run does sort of justify it's size. With me moving soon, I really don't want to put my retro games in storage. But having this could make it easier for having a sort of retro game night or a nostalgia weekend way easier than pulling out a a NES, SNES, Genesis, etc. along with having to find the proper hookups for each system. 

The HDTV support is also great as it's another issue I have with playing retro games on an HDTV is that they always look like crap. I have an old tube TV that's sitting in my room exclusively for retro games but I might get rid of it now thanks to this (plus with the fact that it's big and heavy doesn't help either).  Lastly, I got a ton of GB/GBC/GBA games that I haven't played since the GBA SP/DS Lite days. Having a console for just those without getting my GB Player via my Gamecube is also another plus. 

#265 Necrotron   Now with strawberry! CAGiversary!   877 Posts   Joined 3.0 Years Ago  

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:13 AM

Wow, I was just looking into finally buying an HDTV for the living room today, and was worried about my stack of retro consoles having input lag.  This might be just the solution I need.

#266 kayne2000   All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise CAGiversary!   1921 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

kayne2000

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:24 AM

so how does one get a second controller?

#267 Lucian   Officer Friendly CAGiversary!   1339 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:58 AM

Wow, I was just looking into finally buying an HDTV for the living room today, and was worried about my stack of retro consoles having input lag.  This might be just the solution I need.

If you have a Sega Genesis, it's possible it won't work on an HDTV (apparently due to variable horizontal frequency).  That's why I'm considering the Retron5.  I still have a pretty substantial Genesis collection that I can't use since I got rid of my last SDTV.

Posted Image

#268 Sgt Barone   CAG 4 Life CAGiversary!   1928 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Sgt Barone

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:37 PM

Pre-ordered on Newegg!

<p>Here's to a great year of gaming in 2015 :beer:

#269 ssjChris   Whoop, nope. CAGiversary!   1283 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:14 PM

If you have a Sega Genesis, it's possible it won't work on an HDTV (apparently due to variable horizontal frequency).  That's why I'm considering the Retron5.  I still have a pretty substantial Genesis collection that I can't use since I got rid of my last SDTV.

I have sadly played all of my retro consoles on my HDTV. Atari 2600 (yes, it happened), NES, SNES, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, etc. etc. They all work. No lag from what I recall. The graphics just looked a little smeared on a HDTV. But it's not too noticeable. 

#270 smallsharkbigbite   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   244 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

smallsharkbigbite

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:11 PM

I have sadly played all of my retro consoles on my HDTV. Atari 2600 (yes, it happened), NES, SNES, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, etc. etc. They all work. No lag from what I recall. The graphics just looked a little smeared on a HDTV. But it's not too noticeable.

I think it depends on the tv. I have a panasonic plasma that I've played NES/SNES/Gen on. With a/v cables they all lag badly. With rf out, they don't lag. Must just be the way my tv processes it. Its not that big of deal to me though. I got that component to rf input for like 4 dollars so I can use an av cable through the rf and don't have to rely on those crappy rf boxes.