Xbox 360 disc drive is dead - what are my options?

100bullets

CAGiversary!
Feedback
-1 (0%)
The xbox 360 dvd drive has stopped working. I'm using one of the original xbox 360's. I'm thinking i'll just need to buy a new xbox (no plans to buy an xbox one or ps4 for a while), so what should i do?

1. Should i pick up one of the available bundles now on amazon?

2. or anyone have any ideas of an updated bundle coming out soon or in the near future? Maybe with GTV? 

3. Do you think the price will go down when the xbox one comes out, and I should just wait until then and buy only the system?

I want a 250 gig machine for sure and I could give or take the games. I have enough as it between backlog of 360 and ps3.

Thanks for any input you all can give me.

Gotta figure there's a holiday bundle coming out.  My guess is with Forza Horizon and Halo 4.  Current bundle with Arkham City and Darksiders 2 is $250 at Amazon.  I doubt the price will drop.

You can try to fix it. A new DVD drive is like $35 (make sure you get the right one). A new motor for your existing drive (if the disks don't spin right) is only like $7. 

If I had an original Xbox 360, I'd probably try to fix it before buying a new one. The Xbox One is only a few months away, so I wouldn't want to spend a bunch of money on a new system.

If the system is in a house where people smoke inside, cleaning the laser lens will fix it 90% of the time. Disassemble the system and the drive and clean the laser lens with a little 91% alcohol and a Q-tip.

I fixed my old one on the cheap and I had no idea what I was doing. I just did some reading on the I internet and I found out how to determine the right drive and how to swap it. It took all of 10-15min I could do it again in less! You can also find pre-spoofed drives on eBay. 

Another alternative is to pick one up at pawn America, they are on SUPER sale right now.

Also, I'm sure lamestop is selling them for 100.

Thanks for the suggestions. What I had read about swapping the DVD drive sounded a little complicated, but I'm all for trying it.

Maybe I'll try just cleaning the DVD lens first since I m ow the drive is spinning up and the error I get sometimes is that the DVD can't be read.

If you know the drive is spinning then the fix is much easier than you think! All you need to do is get a new drive and swap the laser assembly, after you get to the innards it's like 8 screws and 2 ribbon cables. At least that's how easy it was for me.

What's the harm in trying? If anything you would be out the time you took to try. You can always sell the drive and broken 360 on here! Just make sure you get the right drive. I'd say open it up and find out what drive you have first.

I held on to my older 360 for about 2 years and then one day I had some extra bucks and I thought what the hell. I now own 2 360s!

Last edited by a moderator:
You cannot 'just swap the drives' with the 360. You must 'clone' your drive information from one drive to the next, especially if it's another drive (it must pretend to be the original). Definitely look this up before simply replacing the drive. The Xbox Original was luckily this easy to replace but not for 360's unfort. Even then this may get your console banned. Definitely read in to it before you do!

bread's done
Back