- - - - -

my Best Buy - former BB Reward Zone Program

#331 KinGAdRocK   The King AdRock, that is my name, and I know the fly spots where CAGiversary!   126 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

KinGAdRocK

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:13 PM

Interesting rumor about BB going about. Not sure if it is true as it a rumor but something to keep an eye on.

My Best Buy already has a Microsoft ministore, so there might be some validity to this.

Yeah, My BB is straight up this way.....There's a Samsung section, a MS section, even a little wooden Goole area(for their Chromebooks)....gaming is all but compressed as much as possible.....now it looks like a straigt up "mall" of sorts with different vendors hawking their specific products........kinda sucks

#332 maximumzero   Seriously, quit it. CAGiversary!   4139 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

maximumzero

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:31 PM

Interesting rumor about BB going about. Not sure if it is true as it a rumor but something to keep an eye on.

Sucks. I still buy alot of DVDs (Haven't gotten a Blu-Ray Player yet) & Games, and even the occasional Music CD from Best Buy. It looks like they're going to eventually force everyone into digital media by decade's end.

#333 SOLGarion   The devil is in the details. CAGiversary!   269 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

SOLGarion

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:10 PM

Confirmed on their forums by a mod. GCU will be back with the same kind of schtick about improvements and enhancements as the FAQ. Posted yesterday.

Greetings everyone!

The Games Club Unlocked membership that we have come to know and love is about to get boost, as we are working to enhance the membership.  In the mean time, we will not be able to renew current or create new Unlocked memberships.  Please check back with us in the next couple of weeks as the enhancement are made available.

Thank you kindly! 16x16_man-very-happy.gif

#334 Havok83   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1896 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:15 PM

Confirmed on their forums by a mod. GCU will be back with the same kind of schtick about improvements and enhancements as the FAQ. Posted yesterday.

Greetings everyone!

The Games Club Unlocked membership that we have come to know and love is about to get boost, as we are working to enhance the membership.  In the mean time, we will not be able to renew current or create new Unlocked memberships.  Please check back with us in the next couple of weeks as the enhancement are made available.

Thank you kindly! 16x16_man-very-happy.gif
blank.gifblank.gifDerekblank.gif

if they dont announce a new batch of $20 promo preorders in the coming months, I'll opt not to renew in Feb

#335 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4643 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:44 PM

Some of us, as Elite Plus members, have yet to receive a single email regarding this event

Best buy emails usually go out around 3am EDT for me.

This particular email is vague. It says there's a sale today but doesn't specific when.

#336 Donut2922   Read the OP! CAGiversary!   10091 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:21 PM

Depends on which class of consumer you're talking about. The My BestBuy revamp was a screw job for me (no TV calibration, shorter return period) but great for my friends and family who spend less at BestBuy (no more point expiration, lower $ threshold for Elite).

The GCU changes will probably be designed to drive business, esp. with people who preorder and pay full MSRP for things at GameStop. CAG's and flippers are sure to get hosed. I'll bet a $15 membership fee that the program is still worth the annual buy in, though.

If you're Elite Plus you can still schedule your TV calibration appointment.  Just call the Elite Plus hotline.  The deadline is next Friday, Nov. 1st.  I just called for my appointment and requested for one in January.  They ask you to have used your TV for at least 100 hours before calibration and my plan is to get a new TV on BF.  You can always reschedule your calibration appointment to a later date if need be.

#337 usagi   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1188 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:49 PM

Damn,  my plan of renewing to get the B2G1 coupon for Black Friday is gone now.  Well I guess I'll wait till October 2014 to renew, unless the coupons/deals get better before then.

#338 PrinnyOtaku   二人の秘密の基地 CAGiversary!   3311 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

PrinnyOtaku

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:40 AM

If you're Elite Plus you can still schedule your TV calibration appointment.  Just call the Elite Plus hotline.  The deadline is next Friday, Nov. 1st.  I just called for my appointment and requested for one in January.  They ask you to have used your TV for at least 100 hours before calibration and my plan is to get a new TV on BF.  You can always reschedule your calibration appointment to a later date if need be.

So... is the calibration worth it? Like, they go into the menu and mess around with some settings and that's it? I get that it's free but are you assuming they know what the optimal settings are and that it's gonna be better than what you have currently?

#339 Mako1215   Mr.OneOfWonder Banned   7273 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:53 AM

Yes and hell yes IF done correctly.

I did the settings someone posted online for my Samsung and it looks 20x better.

#340 MetalSlugger   :P CAGiversary!   2741 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

MetalSlugger

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:04 AM

So... is the calibration worth it? Like, they go into the menu and mess around with some settings and that's it? I get that it's free but are you assuming they know what the optimal settings are and that it's gonna be better than what you have currently?

If you can schedule one then do it.  Otherwise, find the service code for your TV and Google a rudimentary DIY guide.  It won't be absolutely perfect but it will be miles above anything you can do in the regular menu.  Just make sure you don't change a setting that will FUBAR your display.

I have a Sony XBR960 tube that I calibrated myself with an online guide and the picture is SO much better than when I got it.  It was a total pain though since tubes have geometry issues not present in digital displays.

#341 FloriDUH JBot   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   934 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

FloriDUH JBot

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:56 AM

Yes and hell yes IF done correctly.

I did the settings someone posted online for my Samsung and it looks 20x better.

This ^

I had used the calibration settings that CNET posted (their in-house ISF calibration) when they reviewed my Vizio. I was convinced it was going to be a waste of time to get the calibration done. I was so wrong. The TV looked amazing when the calibration was finished. I was stunned at the difference. So much more detail in the picture.

As further proof, my wife even walked in the room and was like "Wow, the TV looks so much better." And she never cares or notices about anything electronic.

#342 Flacksguy  

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:37 AM

On the other side of the coin,
Maybe its just us, but my son and I watched the guy mess with the settings, look through some little sensor thing, and hook up some little contraption, and when it was all over we didn't notice any improvement.
I told the guy it looked better only because I felt bad about how much time he spent on it.

#343 MetalSlugger   :P CAGiversary!   2741 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

MetalSlugger

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:25 PM

On the other side of the coin,
Maybe its just us, but my son and I watched the guy mess with the settings, look through some little sensor thing, and hook up some little contraption, and when it was all over we didn't notice any improvement.
I told the guy it looked better only because I felt bad about how much time he spent on it.

Sounds like he was measuring color levels and whatnot.  I'd wager that your TV was already pretty close to the proper settings so he was just fine tuning it.  The more out of whack the picture settings are, the more of a difference you'll notice when they're fixed.

#344 Donut2922   Read the OP! CAGiversary!   10091 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:13 PM

I haven't had one done myself personally since I didn't want to pay a service tech (just googled the optimum settings like Metal said) but based on what I've read on AVS forums, they say professional calibrators are worth it in general. I don't know how good Geek Squad technicians are at this stuff in particular. Also since it's a big company, I suppose it will depend on the actual tech that comes out to your place. The estimate service time is approx. 2 hours too.

For the cost being free to you and the amount of time they are investing, it's worth the shot.

#345 Fifty Shades of Grey   Banned Banned   581 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Fifty Shades of Grey

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:47 PM

GCU is going to switch to a elite like membership where you must purchase so much to unlock it. The caveat being that you must purchase a certain amount of games before you unlock the deals and benefits of GCU. The same may be happening for movies/tv as well if what I was previously told stays true. Subscriptions may or may not continue he didn't seem to know anything concrete.

Trade in's are effectively going to only happen via the website in the future. They are being told that they will be sending customers to CS and then the CSR is to help customers with submitting trades during the switch over. They will then be taken and shipped out by the store. This is essentially how it is done now but one small change. You will get a e-giftcard in an email after the games have been received by the trade in company. 

I don't know about you but this sounds like a stop gap while the stores undergo whatever changes internally during the transition to the new GCU program whatever that ends up being. They might be switching to new a company for trades.

Express lanes for Elite members are going to be in place for all of the holiday season. Giving those that have it priority to gs/cs and checkout lanes. If it's successful they will stay after the holidays.

You might also be able to pay a yearly subscription to get the Elite benefits as well in the future. It would be included in some warranty services as well as well as cinema now in some form or fashion. The idea is to compete with Amazon prime's offerings. 

When I have more info I'll let you guys know.

Take as a grain of salt...

#346 MetalSlugger   :P CAGiversary!   2741 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

MetalSlugger

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:22 PM

GCU is going to switch to a elite like membership where you must purchase so much to unlock it. The caveat being that you must purchase a certain amount of games before you unlock the deals and benefits of GCU. The same may be happening for movies/tv as well if what I was previously told stays true. Subscriptions may or may not continue he didn't seem to know anything concrete.

Trade in's are effectively going to only happen via the website in the future. They are being told that they will be sending customers to CS and then the CSR is to help customers with submitting trades during the switch over. They will then be taken and shipped out by the store. This is essentially how it is done now but one small change. You will get a e-giftcard in an email after the games have been received by the trade in company. 

I don't know about you but this sounds like a stop gap while the stores undergo whatever changes internally during the transition to the new GCU program whatever that ends up being. They might be switching to new a company for trades.

Express lanes for Elite members are going to be in place for all of the holiday season. Giving those that have it priority to gs/cs and checkout lanes. If it's successful they will stay after the holidays.

You might also be able to pay a yearly subscription to get the Elite benefits as well in the future. It would be included in some warranty services as well as well as cinema now in some form or fashion. The idea is to compete with Amazon prime's offerings. 

Take as a grain of salt...

Ugh, I really hope GCU stays as a paid sub and the free version has the spending requirement.  I almost never buy games at MSRP during the first part of the year.

#347 neoz   I Know Kung Fu CAGiversary!   1643 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:43 PM

From br.com via member GNM

Got a few more movies tonight and ended up talking with my manager friend again for a bit. His girlfriend works in corporate and was the previous CSM of the same store. So thats where the information is from per his lips not mine.

The new smaller planogram is a test from the blackshirt team and Anderson. They will be replacing the long aisle format with more of the new release section media holders. They hold 2 movies on the side and 10 space or so across. Those are what are to be used in this store for media and games.

#348 Donut2922   Read the OP! CAGiversary!   10091 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:47 PM

I probably will earn the new elite tier so it may work out for me but it seems like the general gamer is going to be cut out of exclusive deals .... =/

#349 neoz   I Know Kung Fu CAGiversary!   1643 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:51 PM

It's just dumb that they are making you earn to get GCU status now. I mean it's pretty much baiting you in. Why not keep it the way it is because I'm sure more people are willing to pay up front then have to pay say $500 in game sales.

#350 danh35   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   181 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:18 PM

Those new changes sound horrible. Also, how are the express lanes going to work? I've been Sliver since 2012, and am Elite Plus until next February, but they haven't sent me a new card since I first qualified for it, so the Silver expiration date on my card has passed. Would I be able to bring up the website on my phone to show I'm Elite Plus?

#351 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6447 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:34 PM

Those new changes sound horrible. Also, how are the express lanes going to work? I've been Sliver since 2012, and am Elite Plus until next February, but they haven't sent me a new card since I first qualified for it, so the Silver expiration date on my card has passed. Would I be able to bring up the website on my phone to show I'm Elite Plus?

There are times of the day when my Best Buy only has one register open and now they are going to create some separate check out for Elite Plus?  I'm sorry, but what a stupid use of resources.  They'd be better off improving store pickup so it doesn't take 15+ minutes and properly staffing their regular registers so there is no waiting during peak hours.  

#352 evophile   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1180 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:52 PM

There are times of the day when my Best Buy only has one register open and now they are going to create some separate check out for Elite Plus? I'm sorry, but what a stupid use of resources. They'd be better off improving store pickup so it doesn't take 15+ minutes and properly staffing their regular registers so there is no waiting during peak hours.

My Best Buy just finished its remodel and it went from 10 cash registers with a lot of space for line to 4 registers where only a handful of people can wait now before backing up into another display

#353 mask-air-raid   Mr. Encyclopedia of Soda Banned   5809 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

mask-air-raid

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:57 PM

Best Buy apparently has different partnerships now. Some stores have phone representatives and one store I saw has appliances like six times the size of the video game section.

#354 uiengineer   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   778 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

uiengineer

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:25 PM

i have 3 elite plus invites, if anyone still needs this.

#355 Saix_XIII   Video Game Addict CAGiversary!   6718 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:31 PM

They're just normal elite, not elite plus. Just figured I'd mention it in case anyone got excited lol.

#356 kingofk1ngs   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   33 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

kingofk1ngs

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

i would love one. :)

#357 uiengineer   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   778 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

uiengineer

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:24 PM

They're just normal elite, not elite plus. Just figured I'd mention it in case anyone got excited lol.

yep. sorry. my fault.

#358 Blaster man  

Blaster man

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:27 PM

Anyone that hasn't used the $5 certificate that they gave out, I used mine on a used copy of heavy rain and had it shipped to store for pickup.  It makes it only $3.

http://www.bestbuy.c... rain&lp=1&cp=1

#359 pun123   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3362 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:57 PM

I had to email them again to get my 1000pts for GTAV, finally.

#360 FloriDUH JBot   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   934 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

FloriDUH JBot

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:20 PM

Best Buy apparently has different partnerships now. Some stores have phone representatives and one store I saw has appliances like six times the size of the video game section.

This ^ at my local Best Buy. The appliance section now runs more than half the length of the store.