Mass shooting at Naval Base, here we go again

A Chicago shooting thread would be 100 times more active.
Perhaps the Naval shooter wasn't up to speed on his geography and thought he was in Chicago?

Regardless he had two prior incidents of reckless use of a gun that involved police. No reason why he should have still been allowed to have a gun.... especially in a part of the country that has some of the strictest gun laws... but we all know how well those "strict" laws are working.

Perhaps the Naval shooter wasn't up to speed on his geography and thought he was in Chicago?

Regardless he had two prior incidents of reckless use of a gun that involved police. No reason why he should have still been allowed to have a gun.... especially in a part of the country that has some of the strictest gun laws... but we all know how well those "strict" laws are working.
Agreed, those "strict" laws aren't good enough. You've got the NRA saying that you can have their guns when you pry them from their gold dead hands. Well this guy's probably an NRA member because that's exactly what happened. Okay probably too early for a sarcastic remark like that..

What does that even mean?

I'm saying that if we cared about shooting deaths in this country, we'd focus on the low-hanging fruit in the places where it happens the most and the motives and patterns more clearly defined, not these relatively rare instances where some nut goes on a rampage.

I've never seen a CNN front page that announced the number of shootings in Chicago's black neighborhoods like it was important or something. Not that this event is not newsworthy, but Christ.
Hey, a DC shooting thread would work too, though it has calmed down a bit from the 90s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike Ritrovato, 50, of Saginaw, Texas, said he knew Alexis and was troubled by his attraction to first-person shooter video games. "If he had anything bad about him, it was that he was a 35-year-old man playing video games," Ritrovato said — even when Ritrovato and the rest of their friends were watching football together.
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-navy-shooter-profile-20130917,0,706102,full.story

Mike Ritrovato wins my dick of the week award.

Amongst all the idiots jumping to conclusions about AR-15's when the latest reports kind of point towards no AR-15 being used. Not that it matters since AR-15's are no more lethal than other semi-auto rifles.

I think we can safely assume why, after many incidents, he still had his guns:

Texas. Need I say more?

Don't worry I'm sure GTA5 is responsible. He was probably sold a copy early. Seriously though, how long until the media blames video games?

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-navy-shooter-profile-20130917,0,706102,full.story

Mike Ritrovato wins my dick of the week award.

Amongst all the idiots jumping to conclusions about AR-15's when the latest reports kind of point towards no AR-15 being used. Not that it matters since AR-15's are no more lethal than other semi-auto rifles.

Hey if Elizabeth Hasselbeck had her way there would be a national registry for people who play video games. Want a registry for guns? No that makes you a Constitution hating liberal. How can these people talk with a straight face.

http://gamepolitics.com/2013/09/17/fox-friends-co-host-elisabeth-hasselbeck-we-need-national-registry-video-games#.UjifbMZ2SrZ

Hey if Elizabeth Hasselbeck had her way there would be a national registry for people who play video games. Want a registry for guns? No that makes you a Constitution hating liberal. How can these people talk with a straight face.

http://gamepolitics.com/2013/09/17/fox-friends-co-host-elisabeth-hasselbeck-we-need-national-registry-video-games#.UjifbMZ2SrZ
LOL!!!! Okay I figured someone would blame video games but wow this is crazy. She isn't even saying "buy" video games but PLAY video games. How the hell can they know who's playing them? I notice a high preponderance of women typically blaming video games.

edit:
DC Mayor blaming sequestration as possible reason. http://thehill.com/video/in-the-news/322681-gray-sequester-could-have-helped-navy-yard-shooter-access-base-

From what I've heard, it's just a standard disgrunted worker type of thing...

Good thing for strict gun laws.... right?

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/09/20/news/nation/13-people-including-3-year-old-boy-shot-at-chicago-park/

And where is the apology by the media members who proclaimed the shooter had auto/semiautomatic assault rifles when all he actually had was a shotgun?
Ah yes, the tried and true "Criminal will get guns regardless" and "Chicago has the strictest gun laws in the country" talking points. Guess what? Every person that goes on a shooting spree is a criminal, regardless of where and how they acquired their guns, so save it.

Oh, and BTW, those strict Chicago gun control laws ain't so strict anymore, and you have the folks at the NRA to thank for it: http://www.suntimes.com/news/cityhall/22459634-418/nra-applauds-gutted-chicago-gun-control-ordinance.html

Oh, and this is just a bonus story: two "law-abiding gun owners" who killed one another in a road rage incident: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/19/michigan-concealed-carry-road-rage-two-dead_n_3956491.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false#sb=4216220,b=facebook

2012druppy

Guess what? Every person that goes on a shooting spree is a criminal, regardless of where and how they acquired their guns, so save it.
Woah! Genius Alert!

How about before the shooting? Isn't that what's actually important? Keeping people that should NOT have guns from actually having the?

My guess is that in most of these instances, like with the case of the naval shooter and the wide majority of the shootings in Chicago, they were criminals PRIOR to the shooting.

Draw any conclusions you'd like.

Can we stop making this a right vs left issue please.
This is actually a classic left-right issue where the debate is already defined before you even get started. In politics it's like abortion. In popular culture it's like Coke vs. Pepsi, Android vs iOS, PC vs Mac, etc. And it's one of those issues where the data can support either side. You can find examples of strict gun control in relatively non-violent nations and vice versa. You just pick a side or be a pussy and pick a middle ground. There's very little new ground to tread.

In talk radio one of the best topics is spanking for the same reasons. It's one of those debates that both never ends and is very interesting.

You can find examples of strict gun control in relatively non-violent nations and vice versa.
That's because too many people are focusing on 'guns'. Guns are just a symptom of a greater issue (or lack of)... But no, let's avoid talking about the real problems (education, family, etc.) and just blame guns/blame the folks 'taking our guns'...

2012druppy

Woah! Genius Alert!

How about before the shooting? Isn't that what's actually important? Keeping people that should NOT have guns from actually having the?

My guess is that in most of these instances, like with the case of the naval shooter and the wide majority of the shootings in Chicago, they were criminals PRIOR to the shooting.

Draw any conclusions you'd like.
So after this guy was arrested after previous gun-related incidents in 2004 and 2010, why was he allowed to get his hands on another firearm, Hm?

Oh and as for potentially dangerous people being able to get their hands on guns, you have our joke of a background check system (thanks again, gun lobbyists!) to thank for that.

If you wanna stop people like this from getting their hands on guns, you need to have better and stronger gun control laws, and you need to have them all over the board on the federal level. There's no point of Chicago having strict gun control laws if you can just go a county over and go on a shopping spree.

So after this guy was arrested after previous gun-related incidents in 2004 and 2010, why was he allowed to get his hands on another firearm, Hm?

Oh and as for potentially dangerous people being able to get their hands on guns, you have our joke of a background check system (thanks again, gun lobbyists!) to thank for that.

If you wanna stop people like this from getting their hands on guns, you need to have better and stronger gun control laws, and you need to have them all over the board on the federal level. There's no point of Chicago having strict gun control laws if you can just go a county over and go on a shopping spree.
I see where you are coming from but what about previous convicts who have been released and actually lead a clean life? This is what bothers me, many people still have something on their record for something they did when they were stupid and young. Today many of them cannot get a job because of that mistake or maybe a firearm in some states.

Another point that I think you should take into consideration is that we have a government that has broken countless laws and operates unconstitutional agencies. Do you really want someone like them to control the process of background checks? If government background checks are to exists (which I am against) I would much rather have them done on a state or local level.

I thought at least the Brady Bill would have stopped this dude from getting the guns that easily, but thanks to loosening regulations, you can buy a gun from a store day one, especially since they rarely prosecute store owners based on that.  It's just horribly depressing to hear about the inaction of the people who are supposed to serve us when literally each day another shooting happens.

Since WTF is shooting at a person, despite intentionally missing, considered a minor gun incident?

I just want to bitch and this is the best thread to do it in.

I had to research this this week.

In Illinois, you can sell ammo to:

Illinois Residents when they present their valid FOID card.
Residents of Border states (which doesn't include Michigan) when they present their valid photo ID.
Residents of other states when they present valid photo ID *and* a valid non-resident hunting license.
Any out of state residents when they present valid photo ID and are purchasing ammunition for the specific purpose of using the ammo as part of a shooting competition.

This is freaking insane.

bread's done
Back