Ebay shipper included Signature required.. UGH!

BetterToGive

CAGiversary!
I'm really pissed that the seller included signature confirmation.  Now I need to sit around waiting for this thing when it should've been delivered in the morning first thing.  Now I have to worry if I miss it.

What's the point in signature confirmation?  You already have the tracking and can tell if it was delivered to the right address.

I'm seriously considering leaving a bad review on this seller (I don't like that he didn't ship right away and waited a day extra but the signature confirmation really ticks me off.

What do you think I should do about this?

To me it means the seller is protecting himself from buyers who claim they never received packages. If they sign for it, it's pretty hard to claim a lost package. I definitely wouldn't think it was grounds for a bad review. It just shows they want to confirm you got what they shipped. That seems perfectly reasonable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tracking doesn't mean much. Tracking just means the carriers who handled a package, decided to mark the package as "something" (delivered, in transit, notice left, etc.), regardless of whether or not that "something" happened. A carrier could throw your item in the trash and mark it as delivered. 

Signature confirmation means that the item was delivered and taken possession by a person. It's a more secure (albeit still not 100% secure) than tracking, even if it still could have been delivered to the wrong person. But at least you know who. 

That's really annoying.  I'll probably send the shipper a message either way because I'm really annoyed right now.

Yeah, as a seller I've never used signature confirmation, but I've thought about it before in my more expensive products that I've sold.  I probably will in the future with things I sell over $100.  When people claim to have not received items, the big companies like ebay and Amazon tend to side with them.  

It would have been nice if the seller had informed you of this on the product page before you purchased.  That's what I'll be doing.

What's the value of the transaction? If it is > $250 PayPal requires that Signature Confirmation be added so don't be mad at the seller.... that is childish.

However some companies (Lenovo comes to mind) put signature confirmation on almost everything---I've had like $10 items come signature required

If you're not home to sign for the item, what happens?
If it is UPS/FedEx they will redeliver up to three more times and you also get a door slip with a code that you can enter on their site to schedule a redelivery time or to ask they hold it at a UPS/FedEx location.

If it is USPS you usually have to go pick it up at the post office

That's really annoying. I'll probably send the shipper a message either way because I'm really annoyed right now.

Did he state "sig confirmation" in his listing? That's the criteria I use to evaluate and when I used to list on eBay, i always included that type of info so there we no surprises.

You can have USPS attempt delivery again as well.

Btw, it's pretty petty of the OP to want to wreck someone's seller rating over a package needing a signature. What's the feedback going to look like? "Received item as advertised, but shipping took longer because seller was an asshole that shipped a day after the auction ended and required a signature. Hence, the negative rating. BUYER BEWARE."

edit: Even giving a neutral rating is a little borderline IMO.

You can have USPS attempt delivery again as well.

Btw, it's pretty petty of the OP to want to wreck someone's seller rating over a package needing a signature. What's the feedback going to look like? "Received item as advertised, but shipping took longer because seller was an asshole that shipped a day after the auction ended and required a signature. Hence, the negative rating. BUYER BEWARE."

I give this post a 100% A++++ rating. Couldn't agree more.

What's the value of the transaction? If it is > $250 PayPal requires that Signature Confirmation be added so don't be mad at the seller.... that is childish.

However some companies (Lenovo comes to mind) put signature confirmation on almost everything---I've had like $10 items come signature required
It was $108 total.

Did he state he would ship right away? a 1 day delay in shipping isn't very much at all.

Also, what was the item?
Yes it said would ship within one business day and the estimate given was Thursday delivery with "Expedited Shipping" After I won the bid (Saturday afternoon) he made sure to e-mail me almost right away to tell me how I can pay and how he appreciates my business. I paid right away.

Monday comes and he doesn't send my package. So I message him and say "When are you going to send my stuff?" He was so urgent to get his money and send me a message but not to send out my item. He messages back on Tuesday telling me he had a family emergency and he'll send it out that day Tuesday. Yea right.

And there was no indication that signature confirmation was going to be part of it, none.

Anyway, i decided it'd be no problem as long as I got the package before Monday. Friday or even Saturday I'd probably be OK with (Saturday is even a bit of a push as I wanted to use it before the weekend). Now this signature confirmation just annoys the crap out of me and I may not get it today and I'm going to be inconvenienced to pick it up tomorrow.

The item was a gift card. It could've been delivered with my regular mail like I expected it to be. It should've been here already as USPS always delivers all of my packages first thing in the morning but of course not. I'll probably need to pick it up tomorrow now.

Let's see... High scam item (gift card) + pushy buyer (I want the item now!) = extra precaution from the seller.

I have quite a lot of experience selling on eBay. I would say that 90% of the transactions that involve a chargeback for unauthorized use come from buyers that are constantly sending me messages stating "have you sent my item yet" because they want the item before the bank / bank holder discovers the fraud.

Obviously that isn't your intent but you can't blame the seller here.

I wouldn't have put SC because it provides no addition benefit on transactions under $250 but I can see why the seller would have added it

Tracking doesn't mean much. Tracking just means the carriers who handled a package, decided to mark the package as "something" (delivered, in transit, notice left, etc.), regardless of whether or not that "something" happened. A carrier could throw your item in the trash and mark it as delivered.

Signature confirmation means that the item was delivered and taken possession by a person. It's a more secure (albeit still not 100% secure) than tracking, even if it still could have been delivered to the wrong person. But at least you know who.
This. I once had a package with delivery confirmation that was listed as delivered but I never received it. Neither I, my wife, or my neighbor got it. So I called the Post Office and was told since it was delivered I should just wait a few days.

I did some googling and found out that delivery confirmation just means that the item was delivered somewhere in the zip code. Which means that in my case, you are screwed without insurance. Signature Confirmation allows you to see if it actually made it to the address and who signed for it.

I don't think this is a reason to send negative feedback;especially if you did not get charged extra for it. If you didn't get charged, I would say kudos to the seller. Sorry about the delay though.

This...

and this...

Let's see... High scam item (gift card) + pushy buyer (I want the item now!) = extra precaution from the seller.

I have quite a lot of experience selling on eBay. I would say that 90% of the transactions that involve a chargeback for unauthorized use come from buyers that are constantly sending me messages stating "have you sent my item yet" because they want the item before the bank / bank holder discovers the fraud.

Buyers have all the rights on eBay. Everybody who sells on there has been victim to a scammer at one point or another, so as a seller you sometimes take extra measures when you're not willing to eat the amount of the transaction when eBay grants a false claim in the favor of the buyer ($108 is certainly one I wouldn't eat).

Sellers can't even leave legitimate (i.e. non-retaliatory) negative feedback for goodness sake! I'd be more than miffed if you left me a neutral or negative feedback for a service you weren't even charged for that cut into my profit for the item just because you felt a little inconvenienced.

I wouldn't have put SC because it provides no addition benefit on transactions under $250 but I can see why the seller would have added it
Well, I didn't just send $108 so the seller can take his time and sit around with my money. He e-mailed me right away on Saturday. He seemed on top of things but doesn't even send the item out on Monday? You want your money and I want my item. There was no reason for it to not go out right away. Shipping was free and was listed as "Expedited Shipping"...yea sure... Signature confirmation is a waste of time and an inconvenience. If it was listed that way then I don't know if I would've even ordered it. I'm not sure the savings on the item is even worth the inconvenience or the prolonged waiting. Expedited shipping takes me a full week to get my stuff? Wow that's a first to me.

This. I once had a package with delivery confirmation that was listed as delivered but I never received it. Neither I, my wife, or my neighbor got it. So I called the Post Office and was told since it was delivered I should just wait a few days.

I don't think this is a reason to send negative feedback;especially if you did not get charged extra for it. If you didn't get charged, I would say kudos to the seller. Sorry about the delay though.
I really don't want to leave negative feedback. In fact, I planned on leaving positive feedback as soon as I got my item this morning. Well no item and I see it has signature required, yadi-yada. Now I'm just annoyed.

This...

and this...

Buyers have all the rights on eBay. Everybody who sells on there has been victim to a scammer at one point or another, so as a seller you sometimes take extra measures when you're not willing to eat the amount of the transaction when eBay grants a false claim in the favor of the buyer ($108 is certainly one I wouldn't eat).

Sellers can't even leave legitimate (i.e. non-retaliatory) negative feedback for goodness sake! I'd be more than miffed if you left me a neutral or negative feedback for a service you weren't even charged for that cut into my profit for the item just because you felt a little inconvenienced.
I don't see it as all one-way either. I could be the one getting scammed too. I sent this guy $108 a week ago and when I finally get my package it could just be a piece of garbage. How long will it take me to get my money back then? If I even get it back who knows, never had to deal with that.

I've sold about 6 things through ebay and I've never had a problem myself. I don't like to sell there though.

You just sound like an entitled a hole. You're pissed because he had a family emergency and didn't send it out right away. Right away being a relative term. Oh no you had to wait one extra day. That sounds reasonable. Then you're also angry because he put signature confirmation on an ebay item that's over $50. Yea you sound like the kind of person that ruined ebay. He sent the email right away because he knew when the listing was going to end. He sent the email to get it out of the way. He also has to make sure that you were actually going to pay for it. Non paying buyers suck. You're acting like he had your money for a week before he sent out your item. Chill the hell out. 

Post a link to the auction. Does this guy have good feedback?

I've traded 76+ things on here, sold numerous things on ebay and other sites and I've had very few problems. Whenever I've had an issue I've worked to rectify it immediately and I've had no issues. If I have trouble getting something out when I say I am going to, I apologize and try to send it as soon as possible. The buyers don't get angry about it though. Had he ignored you and not responded at all. Sure then you can get angry. But he's handled this just fine from what I can tell and what everyone else has said

Don't be a little ***** and rate the seller bad just because he's looking out for himself. When you sell on eBay you are taking a risk at running into the plethora of scammers and morons that frequent that site so if you had any sense and respect you'd pay no mind and just get the thing when you can. There's a gauntlet of scheming filth out there, you do what you have to do.

He has 100% feedback and a lot of reviews.  He's not leaving me with 100% though.  I expected to get my gift card and go buy my stuff in the day.  4pm and it hasn't came.  They always deliver right in the morning.  So yea I'm pissed off at this fool for making me wait a full week and be so inconvenienced to get my item.  Imagine going to the post-office Saturday morning to get my stuff?  I'll be there for an hour.  I'll have to wait until probably Tuesday before I get it.  That's absurd.  He's not leaving me 100% happy that's for sure.  I'm very annoyed.

He has 100% feedback and a lot of reviews. He's not leaving me with 100% though. I expected to get my gift card and go buy my stuff in the day. 4pm and it hasn't came. They always deliver right in the morning. So yea I'm pissed off at this fool for making me wait a full week and be so inconvenienced to get my item. Imagine going to the post-office Saturday morning to get my stuff? I'll be there for an hour. I'll have to wait until probably Tuesday before I get it. That's absurd. He's not leaving me 100% happy that's for sure. I'm very annoyed.
Can you do us all a favor and post your eBay buying ID so I can add it to my block list?

I don't buy from that loser site so don't worry about it.  This was my first purchase in a really long time and it will probably be my last.  Bunch of idiots and lazy sellers on there.  I'm going to tell this guy he's getting a bad review.  This is just nonsense.  I should've had it this morning.

The seller isn't responsible for your issues with USPS. Please post your ebay id so we can all avoid you in the future. TIA.

PS. You're a dick.

I'm a dick?  Alright I'll be that.  You guys are really starting to convince me to leave bad feedback.  Bunch of a-holes.  

On top of that I'm still fuming that it didn't arrive today and I'll be getting it tomorrow at best.  A total inconvenience. 

Jesus, the thread started out as "wow, what an over-reactor who doesn't get risk assessment in a transaction". Now it's evolved into "Hi, I'm a big pussy who's crying that I didn't get my stuff on the first business day the auction closed, and furthermore, why should this guy secure the shipment of something I bought, and make me take time out of my busy day of doing nothing, to have to sit around and sign for a product I purchased".

I wish he made you get an AIDS test, stool sample, and urinalysis before you could receive your purchase.  

What a twat.

BetterToGive...you've seriously got this many people telling you you're in the wrong here, and you still can't admit it? People have explained the purpose of signature confirmation and the added degree of security it provides over mere "tracking". And if you paid $108 for the gift card, I'm guessing the actual value of the card is at least $125...if not $150. So, on that kind of item, it's not surprising at all that the seller would want to give himself some added reassurance that he's not going to get burned by a scammy buyer. You act like he did this because YOU won the item. It's not like you're being profiled here. I'm sure he would have added signature confirmation no matter who won the gift card.

Conversely, you CAN profile who you bid on items from. You raise the question of whether you're being scammed. Ok, a fair question and something everybody worries about. But then you admit that he has 100% positive feedback with many reviews. That should immediately alleviate any concerns and show you that your alleged "fear" of being scammed is unwarranted. You also keep talking about how he "made you wait a week". Well, the shipping process has to take SOME time. It's not reasonable to hold that against him. Ok, he was late to ship it, but he gave you a reason why. If you're not willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt when they tell you they had a family emergency, then that just shows your own cynicism and distrust toward society. If somebody shipping a gift card one day late is the biggest injustice you have in your life, count your blessings and recognize how fortunate you are.

You're wrong, man. I get being frustrated. But part of what you're frustrated with is USPS. It's the reason they're going out of business. They're slow, their tracking system is terrible, and they're often understaffed. I believe in karma. And if you really feel like you need to come down on a guy who may actually have serious things going on in his life, don't be surprised when it comes back around to you. Ultimately, I would let his feedback speak for itself and just let this one go.

Also, unless he left out some details, this is most likely the item he's referencing, as it's the only gift card that closed for $108 on 9/14.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T-J-Maxx-Marshalls-HomeGoods-Gift-Card-125-00-/321207383410?pt=US_Gift_Certificates&hash=item4ac973b572
Well I came here for some input on the situation. I never said I was definitely leaving negative feedback but I was considering it for how annoyed I am.

I know USPS had to of attempted delivery earlier today (in the morning as they usually do). My dog was barking but not for long so I didn't bother getting up. Didn't know I'd have to sign either way. So that's probably when I missed them. If I knew I had to sign then I would've maybe been ready and ran to the door.

So yea I'm still very annoyed but I appreciate your response. Being called a bitch and all these other things isn't doing anything but making me more annoyed. Your post was much better, diplomatic way of handling it.

That is the seller but that wasn't the actual bid I won. Good work though. The one I won was actually $107.62. Who knows how this guy ends up with so many gift cards in the first place.

This is likely the listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm//321207565709

I limited it to $106-$109 auction and looked at Sept 13-15 dates to account for time zones.

edit1: n8 posted a listing I also looked at but the highest bidder has way too much feedback to be bitching about something like this so it's likely the user with 6 feedback

edit2: OP confirms it with total

Yep. I'm dismayed at the OP, but I've dealt with these types before. They exist, and this is proof positive.

Yeah it's like the idiots that buy something at 8AM and then send you a message at noon wondering why they haven't received a tracking number. And then 2-4 days later after they receive the game want a partial refund because their new/sealed $20 game isn't "Grading" quality.

You guys forget this is the person who called everyone scum for getting in on the Madden 25 deal, and finally got in and is trading it.

Yeah it's like the idiots that buy something at 8AM and then send you a message at noon wondering why they haven't received a tracking number. And then 2-4 days later after they receive the game want a partial refund because their new/sealed $20 game isn't "Grading" quality.
It's not like that at all. I gave him enough time. He likely created the printing label right through ebay and did that on Tuesday. That's something he should be doing Sunday night and sending out on Monday morning. Well I'm not the guy you want to keep waiting let's put it that way. I'll have to go to the post office tomorrow morning now and that's a PITA.

And yea I sold Madden that game is horrible. I got GTA now.

I'm now 99% sure I'm going to leave a negative review.  Saturday afternoon I buy a gift card with Expedited Shipping.  Estimated delivery Thursday.  Seller waits until Tuesday to ship it and I still haven't got the package.  I went to the local Post Office today to see if it was there but it was not.  I'm fed up with this bullshit honestly.

I'm now 99% sure I'm going to leave a negative review. Saturday afternoon I buy a gift card with Expedited Shipping. Estimated delivery Thursday. Seller waits until Tuesday to ship it and I still haven't got the package. I went to the local Post Office today to see if it was there but it was not. I'm fed up with this bullshit honestly.

Who gave you the ETA of Thursday? eBay? Last time I checked eBay didn't and doesn't deliver packages so you're the fool if you put all your expectations into what eBay quotes as the delivery date.

How about you share that tracking number so we can see what is really going on.

I'm now 99% sure I'm going to leave a negative review. Saturday afternoon I buy a gift card with Expedited Shipping. Estimated delivery Thursday. Seller waits until Tuesday to ship it and I still haven't got the package. I went to the local Post Office today to see if it was there but it was not. I'm fed up with this bullshit honestly.
Yeah, this is what I don't understand. How do you know it has signature confirmation but you don't have a tracking number? I know USPS tracking isn't exactly stellar, but it would at least tell you if a delivery attempt was in fact made. Have you contacted the seller to ask why you haven't received the gift card yet? Speaking as a seller, I think a full week with no delivery is grounds for AT LEAST an inquiry from the buyer. But pisspoor communication and assumptions aren't going to solve anything.

I had a buyer do some stupid shit like this once. Instead of contacting me and expressing to me that he wasn't satisfied, he left me a neutral with absolutely no communication because "when held up to a bright light, you can see that the disc has some scratches". And I realize there are some people who are super anal about light scratches (regardless of if it affects playability). So, I let him know that had he actually contacted me before leaving the neutral, I would have given him a partial refund. But because people want to act like keyboard warriors, they end up shooting themselves in the foot.

I'm not saying that the seller didn't screw up in some way here (I still don't think you're being scammed or anything ridiculous). But if there's not an open line of communication, how is he supposed to know you're not happy? It's also important to remember that you catch more flies with honey.

I wrote up a message for him but I haven't sent it yet.  I wanted to give it some time before I sent it this morning after I got back from the post office.

The package arrived in my town on Thursday.  Estimated delivery was Friday.  Nothing has updated on the tracking, nothing about an attempted delivery.  I assumed they tried to deliver it early when I heard my dog barking yesterday because I've never seen them not come when it was in my town the day before.

Nothing has updated since then.  It should've been here.  It probably hasn't came because of that dumbass putting signature confirmation on and I won't be able to get it until Tuesday then.

A week and a half with Expedited shipping?  Really?   I'm definitely going to send him that message.

The OP's posts are full of hilarity.

A) Expedited Shipping means that your item isn't going to sit around in someones basement for a week before they drop it off to the USPS/FedEX/UPS, etc.  Expedited shipping does not mean 1-2 day delivery.

B) Waiting 2-3 business days is totally reasonable for someone to ship something.  Your item was sent on day 2.

C) Sellers don't email right away after auctons end.  Those emails are generally automated from Ebay with a link for you to pay with paypal or other pertinent info you may need.  Now, if the seller did in fact send you a personal email, then disregard.

D) For future reference, expect to wait more than 5 business days when you order something that is delivered via USPS.  If you don't know, a business day is considered any day monday through friday.

E) From your post regarding your dog barking, sounds like answering your door would have solved a lot of your problems.

F) You're a tool.

I wrote up a message for him but I haven't sent it yet. I wanted to give it some time before I sent it this morning after I got back from the post office.

The package arrived in my town on Thursday. Estimated delivery was Friday. Nothing has updated on the tracking, nothing about an attempted delivery. I assumed they tried to deliver it early when I heard my dog barking yesterday because I've never seen them not come when it was in my town the day before.

Nothing has updated since then. It should've been here. It probably hasn't came because of that dumbass putting signature confirmation on and I won't be able to get it until Tuesday then.

A week and a half with Expedited shipping? Really? I'm definitely going to send him that message.

Post the tracking number----unless you're hiding something.

If he shipped it on Tuesday and it was in your town on Thursday as you claim I think your beef is with the carrier not the seller.

I wrote up a message for him but I haven't sent it yet. I wanted to give it some time before I sent it this morning after I got back from the post office.

The package arrived in my town on Thursday. Estimated delivery was Friday. Nothing has updated on the tracking, nothing about an attempted delivery. I assumed they tried to deliver it early when I heard my dog barking yesterday because I've never seen them not come when it was in my town the day before.

Nothing has updated since then. It should've been here. It probably hasn't came because of that dumbass putting signature confirmation on and I won't be able to get it until Tuesday then.

A week and a half with Expedited shipping? Really? I'm definitely going to send him that message.
Good freaking grief. You have proof showing that it's been at your post office since Thursday, and you're STILL trying to blame the seller? I've been trying to stay unbiased here, guy, but come on. How do you not see that's an issue with your post office? Again, I say...this is why they're going out of business. At this point, I feel terrible for the seller having to deal with this. You said you would be happy as long as you got it by Friday or Saturday. It's been at your post office since Thursday. How is the seller at fault? He can't control how long it takes for your post office to sort and deliver. Come on, man. You have to be smarter than this.

bread's done
Back