Surgery talk

Gden

CAGiversary!
Feedback
73 (100%)
I apologize if there's a topic about this already, but I'm getting my gall bladder taken out on Tuesday. This will actually be my first invasive surgery, so any advice for a first-timer?  I know the usual arrive early stuff (though if it's super early there's only so early I can get there)

Not really advice, but getting knocked out for surgery is just weird. It's not like sleeping. When you sleep, you know you slept. When I woke up from getting my appendix removed and then my wisdom teeth it was a different feeling. Like a black void in your memory. Its kind of creepy. Surgery in the abdomen area sucks. When you have to pee or poo it can take you awhile to get to the bathroom. Laughing hurts 

: \

Don't know how big your surgery area will be, but that was my experience with my appendix

I had my gall bladder out about 6 years ago.  The worst part of that surgery is the 24-48 hours after.   When you have something done laparoscopic they pump you full of air.  The air moving around and escaping your body is uncomfortable after the surgery.

I did have to watch what I ate for a month or two after as somethings made bad things come out of me.  Things do even out over time so don't think that just because you had trouble with a food after surgery that it will always be that way.  Overall I will take a few months of my body adjusting to the bile running constantly than the pain I had from the stones.  I had one stone the size of a golf ball and a lot of smaller stones.  

You also may want to talk to your doc about taking bile salt supplements post surgery.

If the procedure is a failure, you'll never know. I'm paraphrasing Rodney Dangerfield and I think that advice will come in handy whenever I go under the knife someday.

But what am I thinking. I doubt this is a high risky procedure anyway. Hopefully I scared you straight. Maybe you'll think about this the next time you ruin your gallbladder.

Last edited by a moderator:
This surgery is supposedly going to be very minor, so I should only be in recovery a short time.  Also, I have been knocked out before (tonsils when I was 8, and wisdom teeth when I was 18), this is just my first invasive surgery.  I will bring my 3ds, anyway, just in case.

I have very little to contribute here other than a good luck and a

/o

To you but I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what the hell that avatar gif is from.

Had mine removed last year about this time. Worst part of it was releasing all the gas the 24-48 hours afterwards. They pump you with so much damn air that you have this huge gas bubble and it hurts like hell. Once you pass all that it gets better. Thankfully all of the post is nowhere near as bad as the pain before they took it out. Good luck mate. Send me a msg if you have any questions.

I had mine out just over a year ago. the pain afterwards wasn't too bad, it just felt like a badly pulled muscle in your abdomen. the worst it will hurt is when you try getting up from sitting for a few days. you will probably be on percocet after. it does a pretty good job with the pain, but it doesn't take it all away. my doc told me i could take ibuprofen with it. when i did that it made a huge difference, i had no pain at all when just sitting around. it still hurt to get up, but not as bad.

they should suck the air back out after the surgery while you're still under. i was still kinda out of it, but i think i remember them saying they got most of the air out on me.

the best advice i can give is take a pillow with you to the hospital for the ride home. hold it against your abdomen, it will help that "guts being torn out" feeling from hitting any bumps in the car. it also help around the house when you need to get up. and when you start eating again, make sure you're near a bathroom. food will run right through you fast after eating for for a while. 

Yeah, but it's so adorkable it doesn't really matter if it's not real.  The person who made it did a really good job.

I didn't really fart, but I burped a whole lot.  I'm in a great deal of pain today, and I didn't sleep well last night.

Sleeping wasn't easy for me either. i like or sleep on my side, my right side particularly. i ended up sleeping in a recliner for probably about a week after. maybe give that a try, or put some extra pillows behind you so you're partially sitting up and not laying flat.

also, try a couple ibuprofen with the pain meds they gave you, it will help alot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'm seriously considering sleeping in an arm chair.  The only issue is the chair is in the living room, and my wife goes in there in the morning to prep for the day.  Guess I could move into the bedroom then.

bread's done
Back