Wiki posts - help us test the new system

John

Administrator
Staff member
Feedback
10 (100%)
The new wiki posts system is up and running! Anyone can post a wiki based thread, allowing any registered CAG to make edits to the first post. As before, all changes to the post are logged, so in the event of a thread being defaced or maliciously edited, any user can roll back the changes to an earlier point. You can also compare the differences between any two versions of the post, to see at a glance what's been added or removed - the performance of this feature has been improved a lot since the last system, so large posts shouldn't take forever to load when you're comparing them against an earlier revision. We also process notifications for wiki based posts - if you're subscribed to a thread and someone makes an edit, you'll be notified through inline notifications (the little menu at the top), and emails - if you've chosen to receive them.

To post a new wiki thread, simply check the "Is Wiki Posts?" checkbox when creating the thread. If you wish to convert an old thread into a wiki one, just edit the first post and choose "Use Full Editor" - you'll see the wiki checkbox when editing the post. Wiki threads have a big "Edit Wiki Post" button at the top, when viewing the thread.

We're still testing this to make sure everything works correctly, so maybe hold off converting any old threads for now - feel free to test the wiki editing in this post, just keep all the edits below this point. Thanks!

10-4, this is a wiki test

Removed tylerh1701's stuff - that'll teach him. - handsomepete

Testing to see if two notifications always get sent out for each edit - John

testing 1,2,3... mic check, mic check, is this thing on?

I made a wiki post. Hurray.

Testing something else - John

---------------------

This is Cornelius making a wiki edit on 19-Oct-13 @ 23:51 GMT ... let's see if it reverts.

Now making an additional edit.

Now making a 3rd edit while comparing to late-Sept. edits. Plz don't override, but just append to the bottom if you want to test as well. :p

Nov/22/2013 test

Testing bug

no reason left - Necrozilla

Last edited by a moderator:
I converted an old thread to wiki, but I converted it back after reading John's suggestion to hold off.  Keep up the good work, guys!

converted the amazon trade in thread back to wiki. if it gets ruined I don't think anyone will lose sleep. next edits I do I'll do wiki style and test. thanks John!

I got 2 notifications from Tyler's edit.
Sorry about that, I had a slight grammar typo, so I actually made two edits.

John - I didn't see your note about not turning our threads into wikis, so I converted the Xbox Live Deals thread into a wiki. Twice, actually. And both times it reverted back to non-wiki status without me doing anything. Just FYI.

Fixed the problem where a wiki thread would revert back to a normal thread if you edited the first post outside of the wiki editor. 

Also added badges to the forum view page. 

Fixed the problem where a wiki thread would revert back to a normal thread if you edited the first post outside of the wiki editor.

Also added badges to the forum view page.
Cool.

Is it possible to make posts besides the first post of a thread a wiki?

Would it be used, though? Surely if a post is important enough to be a wiki that gets used, it's important enough to be the first post. 

Would it be used, though? Surely if a post is important enough to be a wiki that gets used, it's important enough to be the first post.
I think the desire is for folks that run consolidated threads - the first post is sometimes the 'guidelines/faq' section that you want everyone to read but no one to change whereas the second post might be frequently changing information (weekly deals, trade in values, special promos, etc) that you wouldn't mind if someone else updated instead of the OP.

ninja edit: To answer more directly - Would it get used by more than a handful of people once in a while? Probably not often enough to justify the work.

I'll echo what handsomepete said. It would probably be used somewhat, depending on the thread, but it would probably only be used minimally.

I know in the XBL thread the 2nd post has a list of upcoming XBLA games which always changes as well as a list of retail discs that have XBLA games and DLC on them, both of those would probably benefit from others being able to add and change things whenever possible.

My XBL thread, which I'm trying to wikify, keeps getting unwikified.  I've done it about 5 times now and it seems to keep reverting back. 

I'll stop trying for now and just follow this thread for updates to see when it's working properly.

I think john said that was caused by the OP editing outside of the Wiki function.  I thought he had fixed it though.  I'm sure he will see this when he wakes up.

I think john said that was caused by the OP editing outside of the Wiki function. I thought he had fixed it though. I'm sure he will see this when he wakes up.
That's what he said, but I've made sure to edit only within the wiki function (or not at all) and it still seems to randomly revert.

EDIT: Just tried wikifying the XBL thread again at 7:41pm MST in Chrome. Haven't messed with the thread since, but it's now 9:17pm and it has reverted back again. Just FYI in case any of that info is helpful at all.

That's what he said, but I've made sure to edit only within the wiki function (or not at all) and it still seems to randomly revert.

EDIT: Just tried wikifying the XBL thread again at 7:41pm MST in Chrome. Haven't messed with the thread since, but it's now 9:17pm and it has reverted back again. Just FYI in case any of that info is helpful at all.
Do you ever use Tapatalk?

FYI, I made a few changes about 10 minutes ago, and they're still sticking, as well as checking multiple comparisons.  I didn't see any functionality whether certain individuals could have instant-post thread-admin access vs. a default user requiring edits to be authorized.  Also didn't notice any functionality to revert the content back to a prior revision if someone posts incorrect/malicious content.  Lastly, the thread's "most recent post date" shows the date of the last post (I guess that's to be expected), but there's also no visual indication of when the OP was last edited except to edit the OP (or when someone adds a new post saying they tweaked the OP) ... but hey, it's a start! :whee:

Wha oh ... my last edit to the XBL thread's OP was successfully made at around 4am PDT (11am GMT) this morning (10/22).  Now at 3:50pm PDT (10:50 GMT) on 10/22, I see the wiki flag got turned off in the last 12 hours.  Can you please check into this?  Thanks!

P.S.  Unsure of the complexity or support for it in the rich-text editor, but if there's a way to somehow highlight which tags are currently open/closed, that would be a big help.  Nested bulleted lists are currently nearly impossible to keep straight, and if syntactical highlighting were "rich" enough, we could know which "list" element(s) we were currently within.  Just a thought, but keep up the good work!

-- Cornelius

Are former (prior to 3.0) wiki posts going to be restored as such? If not, how do we fix threads that someone else owns?

For example, the creator of the 3D Blu-Ray thread no longer seems to be around, so who can change it back to being a wiki?

[bug]
Wiki'fied threads revert to normal threads when any user doesn't leave a "Reason" (on the side) when editing the Wiki.

I won't be maintaining the XBL Deals thread in 2014 if this isn't fixed by early Jan/2014...

[bug]
Wiki'fied threads revert to normal threads when any person doesn't leave a "Reason" (on the side) when editing the Wiki.
I just made an edit without specifying a reason, it remained a wiki post. In fact, the annoying thing is that this wiki thread has never reverted to a standard thread - and it's making it difficult to find what exactly the problem is. The theory is that there's something in invision that overwrites the thread data, but finding where this is happening is proving to be difficult.

Hmm... maybe I need to mark a thread as a Wiki when I first create it? I'm going to test this theory in this sub-forum... 2 test threads for the Wiki function.

Hmm... maybe I need to mark a thread as a Wiki when I first create it? I'm going to test this theory in this sub-forum... 2 test threads for the Wiki function.
That shouldn't make a difference. Have you ever made an edit to a wiki thread and have it revert on you? Or is it always when another user makes an edit to one of your wiki threads?

Hmmm... well my theory didn't pan out. You can delete the threads if you want. Wiki's seem to work perfectly in this sub-forum.

That shouldn't make a difference. Have you ever made an edit to a wiki thread and have it revert on you? Or is it always when another user makes an edit to one of your wiki threads?
If I were to edit the XBL Deals thread (WITH WIKI BUTTON), if the Wiki was active, and didn't leave a reason I would notice immediately that the Wiki button disappeared but it stayed [a Wiki] when I left a reason on the side.
note: Editing as the OP using the normal edit buttons ("Edit"/"Use Full Editor") does not disrupt the Wiki function.

Someone was editing the XBL Deals thread and never left a reason and was never tracked by CAG so I don't know who did the changes (this user changed some stuff about the Gold prices info. and removed some underlining I had) so I had go in and re-check the "Is Wiki Post?" button each time to re-Wiki the thread. This has now become a daily task even though nothing is changing now.

Are you saying someone made an edit to the XBL thread without being logged in the post history on the right? 

Are you saying someone made an edit to the XBL thread without being logged in the post history on the right?
Yes, this phantom user made changes to my thread (no problems personally) but was never tracked by CAG (no "Wiki history on the side"). I had to re-Wiki it each time.

Try editing the XBL Deals thread with no reason, you'll see it revert to a normal thread.

If the user's changes aren't being logged by the wiki system, how are you being notified that the post is being edited?

If the user's changes aren't being logged by the wiki system, how are you being notified that the post is being edited?
I'm not being notified, but I notice the changes when I wake up to check up on the thread or browsing the deals section and see the Wiki label gone. Very annoying having to re-Wiki it x2 a day even though nothing is changed (I suspect a troll personally).
note: I AM being notified when a reason IS LEFT. Just NOT by Wiki edits with no reason left.

Try editing the XBL Deals thread with no reason, you'll see it revert to a normal thread.

Hmmm.... now it works! Thanks for your [quick] help!
Nothing has changed - this is why it's a difficult problem to fix, because it's behaving in a random manner. You'll probably find your post has reverted to a non-wiki post in the morning, and we won't know why.

The wiki system won't accept edits without logging them in the system - if you're saying the post is being edited and those edits aren't appearing in the log, they're being made elsewhere, not through the wiki system. This is got me thinking that tapatalk might be involved... I'll do some testing.

Fingers crossed? I have no idea what tapatalk is, I only edit on my PC.

I did the "blank reason" test before today and it failed the instant the page refreshed (from Wiki to normal thread), but now it works flawlessly (staying a Wiki).

Fingers crossed? I have no idea what tapatalk is, I only edit on my PC.

I did the "blank reason" test before today and it failed the instant the page refreshed (from Wiki to normal thread), but now it works flawlessly (staying a Wiki).
There's no way that specifying a reason (or not) would make any difference - it's impossible. It has to be down to edits being made through another interface - has the problem ever happened to you on a thread other than the XBL deals thread?

There's no way that specifying a reason (or not) would make any difference - it's impossible. It has to be down to edits being made through another interface - has the problem ever happened to you on a thread other than the XBL deals thread?
I've only edited my XBL Deals thread and this thread (I left a reason on Nov/22 though - didn't want to risk de-Wikifing this thread).

I'll let you know if I notice any future reverts.

I've only edited my XBL Deals thread and this thread (I left a reason on Nov/22 though - didn't want to risk de-Wikifing this thread).

I'll let you know if I notice any future reverts.
It'd be ideal if someone could stumble across a way to dewikify this thread, that way it'd be easier to find out exactly what they're doing, what the bug is, and how to fix it. I just tried editing using tapatalk and it messed up the first post, but didn't dewikify it.

It looks like the XBL thread dewikified. And yet, no recent post edits in the wiki log or the regular post log.

bread's done
Back