What do you want in a CAG Front Page?

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Would love to hear some ideas from the CAG community on what we can do to improve the front page.  What features or functionality would you like to see on the front page?

Thanks!

Honestly, I kinda miss the Recent Topics and Blog entries being on the front page. Or at least some form of customization where I could have that on 'my' front page. Taking two clicks to get to 'stuff that is going on' kinda sucks. Just my 2 cents

Yeah, I'd prefer the old front page where you have recent topics from the deals/requests/contests/gaming/site feedback/offtopic forums, as well as recent blogs, and then the old lefthand column where there was deal news and site news.

Honestly, I kinda miss the Recent Topics and Blog entries being on the front page. Or at least some form of customization where I could have that on 'my' front page. Taking two clicks to get to 'stuff that is going on' kinda sucks. Just my 2 cents
Yeah, I'd like to see these come back as well. The front page as it is now is so deal-heavy, which is nice, but I liked having some of the other community stuff there as an option.

A new front page is coming soon, but we still want your feedback.  It sounds like more community stuff is wanted, such as latest/popular (non-deal) forum and blog posts.  Any other ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite part of the frontpage is the Twitter box. I don't like the @videogamedeals being included in that box because it dilutes the tweets from Cheapy, Wombat and Ship.

I too enjoyed reading the twitter posts on the front page, otherwise I don't seek them out.

A weekly/daily poll could be interesting.

+1 to the weekly poll idea.

Having the reviews in a mini list or something, not liking the current slideshow presentation. Didn't even know reviews were on the front page at first.

Having a popular threads section.

Honestly, anything that would make the front page worth visiting.

I shortcut directly to the forums because anything worth seeing is going to be right there.

I listen to the CAG cast through Tune-In on my mobile, so I never pay that banner any mind. And the layout of top deals isn't very appealing. I think SlickDeals does a much better job of showing the item that is on sale, the deal price, and what retailer the deal is through.

A new front page is coming soon, but we still want your feedback. It sounds like more community stuff is wanted, such as latest/popular (non-deal) forum and blog posts. Any other ideas?
Yeah. Without the blogs on the front page, I thought that the blogs hadn't made it to 3.0 until someone linked to one in a thread. They're so hidden that it's really difficult to go through them, whereas in 2.0 they were just as accessible as any of the forums.

Top 5 most recent topics were great. Without them, I similarly forget about the off-topic sections, etc. so I'd love to see them return.

Get rid of the 2 splash images. they seem to never get updated. Just having text updates would work better I think.

The goal is to to present hot deals in an easier to read format, promote more community content, and also highlight interesting deal data  we are tracking.  I'm sure John will have screenshots and info to share soon.  Keep the suggestions coming, the more specific the better.

I used to use the affiliate links all the time to make purchases. I did this for my purchases regardless of what inspired them. Now, I have to dig to follow a link when I want to make sure CAG gets a cut. Also, I enabled the ads despite years of using ABP. How about some more genuinely appealing and likely ads for us? I don't think I've seen an ad that was even remotely likely to get me to click, let alone make purchases.

Bring back recent and most popular blogs. Also, in general I wish the site reflowed to fill up more of the horizontal width.

Only thing I want is the slidshow images to be updated every week. It might deter new people from coming if they see old reviews and old deals on the front page.

More blog coverage would be cool.  Daily/Weekly polls sound interesting, but are probably a pain to keep up.

I'm not sure how Top Deals is determined, and haven't followed it much but does it do a good job actually getting hot deals?  Maybe just a "Recent Posts" would be better.

Reviews slides have got to go, unless you're going to actively update them.  If you want to have a substantive reviews section, maybe look for a couple cool CAGs around here to start doing reviews for the site.  I bet you could find some decent guys who would do it for free for the experience and the hell of it, and if you guys get review copies of games, kicking them over to the reviewers would probably be more than enough to recruit a couple cool guys.  I know MrNinjaSquirrel has written tons of Steam reviews and does a great job. Sorry I'm getting off topic because that has very little to do with the front page.

Oh, and I actually don't mind @videogamedeals in the twitter thread.  

I actually don't mind the front page at all.  I don't use it a lot because CAG is a forum site and I spend all my time on the forums.  

I would like a grid layout with pictures of the items, similar to Slickdeals. Just visually think it works.

Also maybe a section for pre-order deals. Maybe a "media" page that has updates from the Cagcast, Twitch, Youtube, etc. on it.

Hey Cheapy. I would like the default radio button for the search box on the homepage to be set to "products"; I always come here to find a specific game's price history. When I do change the button to "products" often the autofill function does not work.

On the home page if you go to games and then reviews the menus are kind of jumpy. It is fairly easy to mouse out of the box and have everything collapse on you. I noticed this is because before you select a game review all of the pictures are small in height. When you roll over a game review that game review expands, and so does the entire containers height. Maybe make the initial height of the container the same height as the container when there is an expanded image.

Lastly, I really love the game price tracker. I always use it when making a purchasing decision, especially during steam sales. I think super programmer john (tired john?) did an excellent job with it.

A release schedule would be nice. List the upcoming games and their release date. Maybe show a month ahead on the front page with a link to see a year ahead?

I want the weekly sales from Xbox Live Marketplace, Playstation Network and Nintendo eshop (3DS & Wii U) on the front panel.  I don't understand why the Playstation Network is there but the others aren't.??

Another thing in the panels could be more social media updates;  twitter, instagram...whatever you guys use.

I wouldn't mind seeing a static image/link to the latest cagcast somewhere on the home page.  Something where I can look at the home page and know if I've listened to the latest or there's a new one.  Maybe that could be in a flip panel thing too. 

How about doing a "Top 10 games of all time" by random CAGs?  Those are always interesting to read.  People have interesting choices of games and I'm sometimes suprised by new games.  I guess some community involvement on the front page.

Overall....Love the site and love what you guys do.  I check you out every day and look forward to the cagcast every week. 

Oops...my bad....the latest cagcast is aleady posted on the front page.  Good job.  Keep up the good work. :)

How about new review links? I'm REALLY sick of looking at Deadpool and Saint's Row 4 every time I hit the page.
This, this, this. Two reviews for games that are 5 months and 7 months old make the site look severely out of touch and out of date.

A return of the most recent forum posts is long overdue. A way to customize the twitter feed would be good. Video game deals are the only tweets I'm interested in.

This, this, this. Two reviews for games that are 5 months and 7 months old make the site look severely out of touch and out of date.

A return of the most recent forum posts is long overdue. A way to customize the twitter feed would be good. Video game deals are the only tweets I'm interested in.
You don't want to read tweets from Wombat looking for free stuff?

Hey CheapyD,

Love the site!  I personally agree that the newest/top blog posts should be featured on the main page (I didn't even know they were still around...eek). Here's some other things I'd like to see:

1) Return of the CAG selling marketplace (had a while back where you could post your game collection or search others and make trades/sales/purchases).  It seemed to work really well.

2) Featured Lowball auctions: There is a thread in the Trading > Lowball section but featuring Lowball Auctions that are live on the front page would be incredible.

Best of luck with everything! Thanks for creating the greatest gaming community on the 'net!

I would love it, if you could copy the slickdeals home page a bit. Seeing all the hottest deals in pictures, will often convince me to make a purchase. I am a visual shopper so seeing things helps convince me. It also just makes it easier for you to see and participate in the hottest deals in the forums without having to see all the arguing. 

Also you could probably make more money if you did this since I think it would drive up your affiliate sales. 

Would be nice to remove the live Twitter feed on the homepage. Some people tend to think you guys show Bias and it gets shown right on the front page because of it.

2) Featured Lowball auctions: There is a thread in the Trading > Lowball section but featuring Lowball Auctions that are live on the front page would be incredible.

Best of luck with everything! Thanks for creating the greatest gaming community on the 'net!
The lowball section is where i'm usually at. The lowball section needs more traffic, for the past year n half i've gotten insanely good deals on games, anime, etc., from trustworthy CAGs.

My favorite part of the frontpage is the Twitter box. I don't like the @videogamedeals being included in that box because it dilutes the tweets from Cheapy, Wombat and Ship.
I feel like I've caught some deals I would have otherwise missed because of videogamedeals showing up there.

bread's done
Back