Sub $150 Headset for Console Gaming (and Livestreaming possibly)?

wongjp

CAGiversary!
Hi CAG, I'd like to pointers on the best (wired or wireless) headset that I could use across all my gaming systems under $150. That's already a lot of money (to me) for a headset, but I understand that headsets can really range in price.

My Xbox360, WiiU, and PS3 are connected via HDMI to a Sony Receiver.

I don't require surround sound, but I'm saying that from having little to no experience with digital surround headphones, so if were just stereo that would be nice still.

On a slightly related note, I've been messing with Twitch.tv and I like to livestream when I'm playing console games sometimes. Do some headsets have a seperate "mic out" jack that I could patch into my PC when I livestream? Note that I'd also like to use one on my PC if I'm playing Steam games too...

Thanks for your help!

I have the astro mixamp which has a "line out" jack. The system itself is $130 and if you also get the headset, I believe it comes to around $250 (shipping not included, s/h usually runs around $15-$20)

WIth the mixamp you can pretty much use any headset you want since the mixamp is the one that makes the headphones have surrond sound and all that jazz.

Not sure if the Tritton 720+ that Ionotropic linked has a line out jack or not

Turtle Beach X-Ray is $100 on Amazon, retail is $200. Same features as the XP400, except that it comes with a talkback cable rather than a Bluetooth dongle. AWD usually has some for $69-$75 as well.

What's your take on the Turtle Beach PX 22's?  Those are relatively cheap (I know I missed a Best Buy DOTD just recently).  I'm checking a pair out but the sound isn't quite what i'm used to. For the price it isn't bad, but it doesn't sound like the sound goes very "deep".

I was wondering about the same thing and even the same price range on some decent headphones! I know about brands like Logitech, Astro, Turtle Beach, Triton, Razr, and so many others make headphones that are different quality and different prices and it's all kind of daunting to me honestly. Especially when you want to try to get the most bang for your buck really. I wanted to have something compatible across all my systems (PS3, 360, PC) too so I'm hoping for a couple different ideas from this post as well. Thanks to everyone for the help already :D

I was wondering about the same thing and even the same price range on some decent headphones! I know about brands like Logitech, Astro, Turtle Beach, Triton, Razr, and so many others make headphones that are different quality and different prices and it's all kind of daunting to me honestly. Especially when you want to try to get the most bang for your buck really. I wanted to have something compatible across all my systems (PS3, 360, PC) too so I'm hoping for a couple different ideas from this post as well. Thanks to everyone for the help already :D
Hi KrazyKrys. I've picked up the Turtle Beach PX22's and have tried them with my PS3, Xbox360 and PC. They come with the proper cables for each setup (2.5 inch cable from the Xbox360 controller to the inline control of the PX22s, so that the chatting works fine on Xbox Live). But one thing to note: if you are running HDMI via Xbox360, you'll need to buy an audio adapter.

This one works with my 360 slim, and is well reviewed:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=7526

Since the PS3 comes with the a/v cables that have RCA audio, that will work too (for PS3, you have to set Audio Output in the XMB to Multi Out).

I'm actually receiving the Plantronics "RIG" tomorrow, so later in the week I'll let you know what I think of them compared to the PX22's. Turtle Beach PX22 retails for $80, while the "RIG" sells for $130. I'm curious as to how the sound quality will be, as the PX22's are "serviceable", but don't pack a whole lot of deep/clear bass.

Thank you for making this topic.

I was wondering if there's any kind of headset that can do live commentary as well? I've been reading and hearing good things about astro mixamp and some other kind of headset. Any suggestions?

Thank you for making this topic.

I was wondering if there's any kind of headset that can do live commentary as well? I've been reading and hearing good things about astro mixamp and some other kind of headset. Any suggestions?
You're welcome, NintenTom! :)

I made a highlight on Twitch with my test yesterday while playing GTA Online. Please note I was still messing with the input levels via a piece of broadcasting software "XSplit":

http://www.twitch.tv/wongjp/c/3048009

With the PX22 headset I have (and the other, higher-end headsets probably have this as well), the headset has the following configuration:

PX22 Headset with Mic --> Inline Audio Controls (Volumes, Mic Mute Switch, Inputs) --> Split: USB Cable & 3.5mm/1.8" Earphone Jack

With the Xbox360, the USB cable is plugged into the PC, so when streaming, the PX22 headset mic is feeding into the livestream.

With regards to the game audio:

1. Xbox360 video out to HDMI --> Video Capture Device --> PC

2. Xbox360 audio port (audio adapter) --> RCA audio cables --> RCA to 3.5mm jack connected to headset (for listening to game via headset)

The Xbox360 outputs audio to both HDMI and the audio adapter by default, at least it did for me. Additionally, the headset came with a 2.5mm male-to-male cable to connect from the PX22 inline volume controller to the Xbox360 controller. So if you want to comment and chat at the same time, it's possible.

As for the PS3 and commentary, you could do the same. The PS3 does NOT output to HDMI and another source by default. Under the Audio Settings in the XMB, there is the Multi-Output option. When this is enabled, however, there are some restrictions:

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/audiomulti.html

This is all based on my own research over the last two weeks btw. I didn't get the Mixamp, but it looks great too. I did find a manual for it though online, and the input/output diagram is on page 9:

http://www.astrogaming.com/manuals/MixAmp_manual.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the great information. It looks like your test went smoothly. The audio from the game and commentary seems crystal clear and the picture quality was definitely in HD. I would love to see your set up if you ever decide to show it!

I'm sure there are much better solutions, NintenTom! But I'm more than happy to share pics of the setup. It's a slight scramble since I had to move my PC out to my living room where the TV is  :whee:  Should I create a new thread about that in another forum and point you to it later?

One of the biggest issues I had to deal with, and still do, is some audio feedback. But I won't get into that just yet as it's a software issue.

Pictures would be great! It's up to you if you want to create a new thread about it and sharing what kind of hardware and software you're using.

I was thinking of getting a blue yeti microphone and using quicktime to record audio, but I'll like to invest on some good headphones for some hardcore gaming and that can do live commentary.

I appreciate how much feedback you're sharing with us and I'll be happy to support you on your livestream for charity when it's up and running!

Pictures would be great! It's up to you if you want to create a new thread about it and sharing what kind of hardware and software you're using.

I was thinking of getting a blue yeti microphone and using quicktime to record audio, but I'll like to invest on some good headphones for some hardcore gaming and that can do live commentary.

I appreciate how much feedback you're sharing with us and I'll be happy to support you on your livestream for charity when it's up and running!
I'll get on it as soon as I can then :) I'll also figure out which forum I should post it in and let you know.

I owned the yeti Mic, but the levels seemed really low at the time. I'll chalk that up to not knowing how to adjust the levels on my Mac or Windows at the time, which was several years ago. It seems pretty trusty! I have a Audio Technica AT2020 USB mic now also - I bought a few accessories and a stand for it as well.

So, the Plantronics "Rig" is $129.99 base price.  The Turtle Beach PX22's are $79.99 retail (there have been deals at BB where it went for $60 just a week and a half ago). 

The Turtle Beach PX22's have "muddy" bass that also does not go as deep as the Plantronics Rig headset.  But the inline controls allow you to separately adjust game volume, your own Mic volume (if you want to hear yourself speaking) and game chat volume.

The Plantronics Rig has deeper and stronger bass. It sounded a lot warmer to me across the three presets.  You cannot adjust the bass nor treble on the Rig (on the PX22's you can).   There is a main master volume 'ring' on the Rig. Additionally, there is a slider for mobile vs. game audio on the left side of the Rig's "puck" and game vs. chat audio on the right side. Additionally, there is a mic mute button and a button that adjusts the EQ. The EQ has three settings. Each time you press it, you will hear 1, 2 or 3 beeps indicating the sound preference. 

Both of them have decent length cables. The Rig's "puck" mixer for inline controls has an Optical In port.

One thing that did bug me about the Rig is that if the detachable headset mic is unmuted, I will always hear myself through the headset. It's very light, but it's there. I liked how you don't have to hear yourself at all on the PX 22's.

I tested game sound as well as watching a blu ray (action scene with fast cars and gun fire) on both, and I prefer to stick with the Plantronics Rig based on better sound quality and stronger bass.  I can deal with hearing myself on the mic since I will do more gaming solo than with a Mic.  I did notice an issue with the Xbox360, and I have to test RCA audio instead of Optical cables. But for some reason when I used the mixer for 50% game audio and 50% chat audio, I noticed a slight delay with my friends' chatter. It was like "mirrored audio" or something, just a split second difference. A little annoying, but that could also be an issue with the USB plugged into my PC port instead of directly to the console.

Both sounded clear for live commentary. I did a test stream with the Rig mic that I'll cut into a highlight tomorrow - I'll link the test footage here in a day or so.

NintenTom, I'll make a separate thread about my setup shortly :)

UPDATE: Here's a starting post for my setup. I would have written more, but I'm gonna get something like 5 hours of sleep before I jog! :hot:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/320809-livestreaming-setup/

This is a for the ps3. I gave the Ear Force DSS 7.1 headphone amp. I then plug in a set of Sennheiser HD558's to it. Works fantastic. The soundstage is ridiculous. I don't always use/need a mic. I have a set of ps3 Wireless headphones for that. Stay wired my friends.

Same here I just got pissed at my PC 6.00mic and ripepd it in half.  can't work w/ skype properly or nothing.

ANd my 360 default headset is missing the pads now

ANd my blue tooth wireless ps3 is just kind of small.

I'd also like a recommendation that PC, 360 and ps3.  Wouldprefer wired but just w/ a long cable.  Is there ANYTHING that has a usb and microphone jacks connected to them.  I'd spend up to around 100 (w/ prime shipping free of course)

Those Turtle beachs only work on 360 right?

Same here I just got pissed at my PC 6.00mic and ripepd it in half. can't work w/ skype properly or nothing.

ANd my 360 default headset is missing the pads now

ANd my blue tooth wireless ps3 is just kind of small.

I'd also like a recommendation that PC, 360 and ps3. Wouldprefer wired but just w/ a long cable. Is there ANYTHING that has a usb and microphone jacks connected to them. I'd spend up to around 100 (w/ prime shipping free of course)

Those Turtle beachs only work on 360 right?
The Turtle Beach PX22 was a Universal model. So it worked for my 360, PS3 and PC. In addition to the headset, it came with a 2.5 inch chat cable for connecting the PX22 inline controller to the Xbox360 controller. It also came with a 3.5-inch jack to RCA audio (which can be used for either PS3 or Xbox360). I did like the mic for the PX22. Bendable in any direction.

For the Xbox360, you need to buy the audio adapter, which works on 360 (original) and the 360 S. I have the 360 S model. The 360 can output audio to both HDMI and this audio adapter simultaneously.

For the PS3, you have to enable Audio Multi-Out. This way, you can output the audio to HDMI, Optical and A/V Out at the same time. The limitation is that executing audio multi-out will limit it to 2 channel. I only use this function because of my livestreaming setup (audio goes to the capture device and also my headset).

I've stuck with the Plantronics RIG. For some reason on Amazon, there were two listings for both black and silver/white color models. One for PC/Mac and a Universal one. It's wrong because the headset package is universal to begin with. I like the bass and sound quality a lot better than the PX22s. This weekend I can take some pictures of the RIG if you are interested, and I can measure the cables. Both the PX22 and RIG have length cables. The RIG mixer also has an Optical audio input, too.

So these Turtle Beach Px22 things can just plug into the ps3 pc usb/mic and 360 controller itself?  They look nice, wish it had more color options though and they ugly mlg thing gone.

So these Turtle Beach Px22 things can just plug into the ps3 pc usb/mic and 360 controller itself? They look nice, wish it had more color options though and they ugly mlg thing gone.
Hehe I know what you mean, Darklurkr23.

Yes, the PX22 also comes with a separate, 2.5 inch "talkback cable" connects from the Inline controller to the Xbox360 controller. The USB cable can plug into the Xbox360 as well just to be powered if you don't want to worry about any connection to PC.

I like the PX22's mic (since it's not as fixed/stiff as the Rig microphone - friends told me I was too loud with the Rig's, so I had to bend it further away my mouth).

Check out the manuals here for details on the included plugs:

http://www.turtlebeach.com/support/files/481/

By the way, in regards to future proofing with these headsets.....

I just read that, for the Xbox One, there is an adapter that won't come out until 2014. I hope that's early 2014!

http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/20/4856410/xbox-one-headset-adapter-reportedly-launching-in-2014

For the PS4, support for USB headsets will come in a patch??:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/10/ps4-headset-compatibility/

bread's done
Back