I'm getting my first e-reader

Collectordragon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I'm getting my first e-reader, the new version of Kindle Paperwhite. Any must have accessories? Any sites I should check out? I already have quite a few free books from Amazon and both Humble eBook Bundles.

Just the amazon case. It's pricey but it's awesome to have the device wake just by opening the cover.

Enjoy. I've had kindles since the first one and love them. Have the original paperwhite currently.

Do you use a skin with any of your Kindles? Do you just use Amazon to get your e-books or have your tried other methods like borrowing from libraries?

No skin in mine.

I mainly just use Amazon. My city's library doesn't have the greatest collection and super long wait lists for anything popular.

I am seriously considering a paper white. I'm old school and love books but I do a lot of reading at night now.

I have a nexus 7 already. Worth it to get a paper white just for reading?

I have the Kindle Keyboard. I consider it the best Kindle since I love my physical buttons and 3G.

The only thing I think you really need is some kind of case. The official Amazon one is good, but I like my BUILT sleeve.

I use a dropbox app to load books onto my nexus. Does kindle paperwhite have such a thing?
I'm not sure what that is, but I know you can e-mail yourself documents and it shows up in Kindle format.

Do any of you use screen protectors or are they unnecessary?

As far as cases go I decided to get a rooCASE for $9 and it supports auto sleep/wake.

Do any of you use screen protectors or are they unnecessary?

As far as cases go I decided to get a rooCASE for $9 and it supports auto sleep/wake.
I had a screen protector on my first one - a Kindle keyboard. When that died and I got the basic e-Ink w/o adverts the second time around I didn't bother. I do, however, have a case. But I don't see the point in screen protectors for it. I haven't gotten any scratches on mine and I am pretty rough on it.

I'm so close to buying the paperwhite.  

I can only justify it that it is better for your eyes than tablets.  Anyone have thoughts on that?  Is reading books on the paperwhite better than on the iPad?

I'm so close to buying the paperwhite.

I can only justify it that it is better for your eyes than tablets. Anyone have thoughts on that? Is reading books on the paperwhite better than on the iPad?
I was reading my books on iPad, and purchased New Kindle Paperwhite, and I will say its much easier on my eyes. It's feels more natural also.

Yep.  I have an iPad and a Paperwhite (had the K1, K2 and K3 before it).  

E-ink is MUCH easier on the eyes than a tablet.  LCD screens emit light directly into your eyes.  E-ink just reflects light, and in the case of the Paperwhite or Nook Glow, has a front light that lights the screen but doesn't shine directly out.  Thus it doesn't tire the eyes nearly as much.  The battery life is fantastic too. 

They almost never go on sale, other than when clearing out stock for a new model.  And a lot of those deals are on refurbed units (thought they are good as new and have the same warranty).

For those who have gone through multiple e-readers, how long have your old units lasted? I'm wondering what the lifespan is on them.

For those who have gone through multiple e-readers, how long have your old units lasted? I'm wondering what the lifespan is on them.
All of mine are still working and in use. My ex has my old K1, my dad my K2, and my fiancee my K3.

So they should go for years barring dropping etc. Battery would be the first to go, and those can be sent in and replaced by Amazon--or I'm sure you can look up how to do them.

But since the battery life is super long between charges, the battery won't die nearly as fast as in a phone or tablet that you have to charge daily--vs. charging an e-ink device once or twice a month (more if you're a super heavy reader).

well, with the $10 for $100 pickup offer and amex's 30 on $300 offer, i bit the bullet.  Thanks everyone for answering my questions on the paperwhite.  

so uh.. i opened my paperwhite and it's really slow.  Like i see ghost images between pages and when I call up menus.  Is that normal?

so uh.. i opened my paperwhite and it's really slow. Like i see ghost images between pages and when I call up menus. Is that normal?
so uh.. i opened my paperwhite and it's really slow. Like i see ghost images between pages and when I call up menus. Is that normal?
By default kindle white refreshes every fourth page, you can go to settings--->Page refresh, and change it to refresh ink every page turn.

hmmm... i've been reading that e-ink is really slow compared to tablets but maybe mine is somehow worse than others.  I think I'll head to best buy to see if they have a display unit to compare to.

I literally see the words fading in and out with every page turn.  like the outlines of words will show up and then the letters get filled in.

Go into the settings and change it to do the full refresh every page turn. Otherwise or does it every six and ghosting is more noticeable.

My first eReader was a Sony Reader. I had it about 3 years I think before I accidentally broke it. My next Sony Reader lasted a few years before it got stolen and my current Kindle 3G is 3 years old. They're pretty simple and well made devices, so they can last a long time as long as you don't break the screen. I've seen people with the Kindle 1 at airports.

So I never got a chance to see if my kindle was extra slow compared to display units but I ended up loving it.

Also I'm bored at work so I'm resurrecting this thread. :)

bread's done
Back