Best Buy Trade-in 5.0 - see FAQ in OP!

BudzMcGee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Just seemed like a good time for a new thread. You can view the previous thread here!

THIS THREAD OP WILL NOT BE ACTIVELY UPDATED WITH NEW PROMOS - THIS IS PRIMARILY AN FAQ.

All Promotions are available in-store only, and they DO NOT stack!

Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers, and it definitely does stack despite what some employees will say.

Please read FAQ below before asking questions!

Flip discussion is allowed on CAG, but begging for list of games to flip is not only obnoxious but doesn't help the community in any way; don't be surprised if some users are only interested in trading information with other users who regularly contribute to the thread.

General video game promotions link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17093&type=page (Promotions are listed at the bottom of the page)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE & VALUE ESTIMATOR

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades may be done in the Gaming Dept or at customer service depending on the store.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

How does the **% bonus TIV work?
The percentage is based on the final total of your entire trade in, so if the trade in is $100 and there is a 50% bonus your final gift card value will be $150.

How does the 10% Gamers Club Unlocked bonus work?
The 10% bonus for Gamers Club Unlocked members is calculated from the base trade in value. So in the above example, a $100 trade would get an extra $10 with the GCU membership bonus. So if there was a 50% trade in bonus it would be $100 base, $10 Gamers Club Unlocked bonus and $50 TIV bonus for a grand total of $160. 

How do I become a Gamers Club Unlocked member and get the 10% bonus?
Any video game section employee should be able to set you up with the GCU membership (should being the key word). The program has undergone some serious changes in the last couple of months. The program now cost $120  for two years and comes with a subscription of @Gamer magazine until May 2014 (which typically has a couple of great coupons every month). It will also get you a 10% bonus on trade ins, 20% off new games and 10% off of used games (Make sure to point it out to the blue shirt doing your trade-in though as it is easy for them to skip, and they are still new to it). It can take 48 hours (or more) for GCU to show up on your My Best Buy membership. Current GCU members have been upgraded to the new program for no extra charge and should have received a coupon to extend their membership for an additional 2 years at a cost of $30 ($15 a year). Members who had their subscription run out within a couple months of November 2013 will also get this coupon. 

I can't find the pamphlet or barcode to sign up for GCU!

Employees by and large seem ignorant of the program and probably won't be much help so here is what you need to do. There may be pamphlets around various areas of the store and if you can not find that try the touch kiosk. 

I didn't get my 10% bonus or the employee said it doesn't stack, what gives?
As of September 2012 the trade in system at Best Buy was updated, and employees seem to be having a hard time making sure that they add the GCU bonus. It should be added immediately after they scan your games, and before they take your personal information. You also should always try to know your full trade in value with bonuses before going to the store so that if the price is different you can identify it immediately. The 10% bonus definitely does stack with any TIV promo (100%, 50%, it doesn't matter). All the Gamers Club Unlocked pamphlets say so, as does the website, and are a great place to point to if an employee or a manager tells you otherwise.

For a full break down of when and how to help make sure your 10% was applied look in the spoiler.

How to get your 10% bonus

For some reason this is incredibly difficult for employees to get right. Following this process should work, but there is no accounting for the occasional very-bad-at-their-job employee.  

The 10% requires that they add your member information at a very specific point. The best way to describe it is that it must be entered along with your games, as it is on the same page. So immediately after they enter your games, but before navigating to the next page on their computer, the Best Buy employee has to enter your information, typically using your phone number, to find your account. It is on the same page as all of the games and if they are asking for your ID it is too late!  The big problem is that the next page also looking up your member information, but in a brilliant move of programming on Best Buy's part, it will not apply the membership bonus at this stage. An easy way to see if the bonus has been applied is to ask for the trade in total at this point as well, as the 10% (and any other bonuses) would already be applied; so if the numbers are off you know they need to go back a page and enter the information. Otherwise, that being done, it should work just fine.

Things to know/help you make sure the bonus is applied:

• Always know your trade total, including bonuses, before going in. This will help you catch issues.
  • Hold onto your ID until they ask for it, that way you know that they are on that page. Before handing them the ID is a great time to ask them what the total was if they haven't already told you because you can still catch the issue now. 
  • Be polite and helpful. Try to not get frustrated if they didn't enter the information at first, and politely mention that last time you had this issue the employee had to go back a page. In the event the issue isn't being resolved it never hurts to ask if maybe someone from gaming could help.  MOST employees will be friendly and work with you. 
  • Lastly, be persistent. Some employees will take it personally when you try to help, some will just be difficult because lets face it, retail jobs suck and you're probably the 900th person to ask them for something today. Giving up though not only makes you lose out on the 10% bonus, and the Reward Zone points (as well as credit towards your Elite Plus status), all it does is make sure the employee doesn't know what they are doing for the next customer either.  You paid for the bonus, make sure you get it. 

Do we get MyBestBuy (Reward Zone) points for trade-ins??
Yes. You get one point for every pre-bonus dollar traded in. So if your TIV was $100 before bonuses, you get 100 Reward Zone points. Gamers Club Unlocked members (and possibly standard Gamers Club members) get double points for everything gaming, including trade-ins. So in the same example you would wind up with 200 Reward Zone points. To get Reward Zone points you must have them include your Reward Zone membership information (easiest to look up by phone number) with your trade-in (this is required for the Gamers Club Unlocked bonus anyway).

Can I use my Best Buy gift card to purchase Amazon Kindle Gift Cards or Visa Gift Cards?
Yes, although some employees may not be aware of this and incorrectly refuse to do so. Visa Gift Cards have a $200 limit and a $6 activation fee. Amazon Gift Cards are available in $25, $50 and $100 depending on your store selection. Some states, or even localities (county, city, etc.) may not allow the sale of Amazon Gift Cards. Yes, Kindle Gift Cards are good for anything on Amazon.

The value on the site doesn't match the store, why?
Sometimes the page may not update immediately. This is fairly rare though. The store's trade-in values are definitive though, so what they say is what you get. 99.99% of the time they will match up.

The value on the iPhone/Android app is way off, why?
The app often sucks for updating values (and some games simply don't show up), don't rely on it if you don't have to.

The game I want to trade isn't on the site, what gives?
While rare, there have been some games recently not showing up in the online estimator. You can always check in-store to see if the price is in their system and simply not online, but that is unlikely to be the case (as in, it is possible that has never been the case). When Best Buy doesn't have a game on file they can offer $1 as a generic SKU, but that's it. New releases appear to be added on Tuesday evenings. Many new releases are taking upwards of a week or more to be added to the site.

How come the GOTY/complete version doesn't show up in the estimator?
Best Buy doesn't differentiate between the vanilla and GOTY/complete versions of a game 99% of the time. This is largely a cover-all policy due to the fact that many GOTY editions include the game's DLC and bonus content as one-time use codes; meaning that the game has no extra value on the 2nd hand market and honestly, Best Buy probably doesn't trust their employees to make sure all the extra content is included. So no extra TIV for your GOTY games. The plus side is that GOTY and vanilla versions sell at the same price, so if the DLC is located on disc and you find a GOTY version in-store it will be the same price as the vanilla one.

When do trade-in values update?
No one knows for sure, but updates can and do happen at any time. Sometimes an update will happen at an atypical time, such as when GameStop has an advertised sale for a game well below Best Buy's trade in price.

What will be the TIV of Game X tomorrow/next week / next month/ etc
Nobody knows.

If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as the item is received within 14 days of you locking it in (and the item is in the condition you described it as). Again, the item MUST BE RECEIVED within 14 days. It is not enough to simply ship it within the 14 day time period (like Amazon). Be mindful of this if you are trying to trade in a game that you are waiting to ship/arrive from an online store. If you miss the receiving deadline and then complain about it in the thread you will probably be made fun of. You have been warned.

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No. Online and in-store are completely separate in every way but their base trade in values.

Do I get the XX% bonus or my 10% GCU bonus when trading online?

No. All bonuses, including GCU member bonus only work in-store.  The value listed on the website is the value you will receive, nothing more.

How do I get my giftcard for online trades?

Online trades will receive a E-Giftcard.  E-Giftcards can be printed and used in store, you can also go in store and ask a cashier to "transfer" it to a real giftcard, i.e. buy a real giftcard with the E-Giftcard funds if you wish. Apparently the online system states they will mail a giftcard but this is not accurate. 

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
Officially, Best Buy recently changed their policy on this then changed it back. You can trade up to 3 copies of a title per platform. The system will not automatically stop you from trading in more than 3 copies of a game, some have done so frequently without issue but many others have been banned for trading over the limit in the past so it is not recommended if you wish to keep Best Buy as a trade in option in the future. Obviously it is YMMV, but do so at your own risk. If you regularly re-buy games at lower prices and trade in a lot it may be wise to keep track of all that you trade in.

Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
Best Buy accepts disc only games (for the same value as complete games). The trade in will take longer though as the employee will have to look up the games individually. Yes, this also applies to DS, 3DS, PSP, etc. If you have the manual and artwork you should trade it in though anyway to improve the quality of the selection for people who may want to buy the game in the future (you can't know if the game will be complete when you buy online for example).

Can I trade in games that say "Not for Resale" on the back?
Yes, since the only thing that matters is the disc. Some employees will fight this though, and in that case, just trade the game in as disc-only. Employees have gotten much better about knowing this policy though, and busier stores are more likely to have employees that have done more trade ins and know the rules.

Does Best Buy accept game hardware?
Currently Best Buy only accepts various versions of the Nintendo DS in store, but some stores apparently accept consoles as well. Call ahead before bringing it in. That said, the TIV for most hardware is lower than competitors.

Does the **% bonuses apply to game hardware?
No, games only.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or even city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live. At a minimum you'll need a government issued ID (passport, drivers license, military ID, etc.).

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF? 
Some stores are required to have receipts to accept trade-ins, again this is due to local Pawn shop laws and could vary from city to city. You can always check if the store(s) near you require a receipt on Best Buy's trade-in site.

Can I trade sealed games?
Yes. You must present your receipt for the sealed games you are trading in. It is ok if the purchase was made from another store. You do run the risk of drawing extra attention to yourself as trading in sealed products is often a sign of theft. Do not be surprised if this is questioned by an employee, or you are asked to leave, open the items and return. You might even be flat out denied by the employee or manager despite the official rule. It is their right to do so.

How does the get **% with pre-order bonus work?
After trading in your games, the employee SHOULD then sell you the pre-order for $5.

How much is a pre-order at Best Buy?
Pre-ordering at Best Buy cost $5, in fact, you aren't supposed to pay any more than that (and most employees won't let you if you ask). Yes, you can use the gift card you just received from your trade-in to purchase the pre-order.

Can I cancel a pre-order and keep the bonus?
Yes, the trade-in and the pre-order are completely separate transactions. Nothing will prevent you from returning to the Best Buy canceling the pre-order and receiving a refund. Some users have claimed that they were flagged for doing this multiple times though and were denied, so be aware of how many pre-orders you are cancelling. Also keep in mind the obvious facts that this is not how the program is intended to work and over abuse will negatively affect the program long-term. Lastly, returns are tracked on a personal level by a third party. (Read: try not to cancel a bunch of pre-orders)

Do I have to cancel the pre-order at the same store where it was made?
No, this can be handled by any BBY. Don't be surprised if you get a customer service employee who says otherwise though.

Can I pre-order once and get the pre-order bonus on my next trade-in as well?
YMMV. Officially, the answer is no, but there is nothing that actually requires the employee to sell the pre-order in order to apply the bonus so if your blue shirt is in a friendly mood they may be willing. Doesn't hurt to get to know the employees at your store. That said, expect that you will have to pre-order another game and be surprised if you don't.

Can I combine a 3 games for **% and a pre-order for **% bonus?
No. Bonuses do not stack, and you must pick one or the other. The only bonus that stacks with other promotions is the 10% you receive if you are a Gamers Club Unlocked member.

Remember, all trades are technically at the discretion of Best Buy and they can refuse to accept a game for whatever reason they want (outside of you being black, woman, Jewish, etc.).

Last edited by a moderator:
Just some minor changes and notes to the OP this time around.  Just figured with the holiday season coming up it made sense to migrate to a new thread.

Woop! New thread!

You will, STILL, get questions that are in the OP. 

Maybe it should read:Read OP BEFORE Asking Questions - Best Buy Trade-In 5.0

Instead of:"Best Buy Trade-in 5.0 - see FAQ in OP!"

Lol

And the current flips are few and far between, with the exception of the capcom Lost Planet 3

http://shop.capcom.com/store/capcomus/en_US/pd/ThemeID.1944700/productID.255019600/Lost-Planet-3-Xbox-360.html
http://shop.capcom.com/store/capcomus/en_US/pd/ThemeID.1944700/productID.255030200/Lost-Planet-3PS3.html

And these tiny profit items.

GS PS3 -> BB (ALL)
BB Name GS Price BB TIV
Pure Futbol 2.99 4 134
Virtua Tennis 2009 2.99 4
inFAMOUS 4.99 6

GS 3DS -> BB (ALL)
BB Name GS Price BB TIV
Deer Drive Legends 6.99 12
NCIS 9.99 12

AZ -> BB XBOX
BB Name AZ Price BB TIV
History: Legends Of War Patton 13.99 15
Nickelodeon Dance 2 14.99 16

AZ -> BB 3DS
BB Name AZ Price BB TIV
Funky Barn 9.48 12
Rabbids Rumble 7.91 10

AZ -> BB PS3
BB Name AZ Price BB TIV
007 Legends 17.25 22
Battleship 17.05 18

AZ -> BB WiiU
BB Name AZ Price BB TIV
Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 2013 15.34 21

Didn't take long for the assholes to show up.

So who's auditioning for the whiny ass bitch show out of the three of you ?

And I'd like to point out that DudeMyHeadIsHuge, posts his exclusive flips in a blog elsewhere, which makes him a Hypocrite, and confirms what I've said all along he just doesn't want to share. For those of you that appreciate the TIV/Pricing lists please show support, and for those that think they are somehow a disaster, just ignore my posts.

Sorry to post negative shit like this but I HATE these elitist mutherfuckers, who do nothing but knock down other peoples efforts to be helpful.

And the current flips are few and far between, with the exception of the capcom Lost Planet 3

http://shop.capcom.com/store/capcomus/en_US/pd/ThemeID.1944700/productID.255019600/Lost-Planet-3-Xbox-360.html
http://shop.capcom.com/store/capcomus/en_US/pd/ThemeID.1944700/productID.255030200/Lost-Planet-3PS3.html

And these tiny profit items.

GS PS3 -> BB (ALL)
BB Name GS Price BB TIV
Pure Futbol 2.99 4 134
Virtua Tennis 2009 2.99 4
inFAMOUS 4.99 6

GS 3DS -> BB (ALL)
BB Name GS Price BB TIV
Deer Drive Legends 6.99 12
NCIS 9.99 12

AZ -> BB XBOX
BB Name AZ Price BB TIV
History: Legends Of War Patton 13.99 15
Nickelodeon Dance 2 14.99 16

AZ -> BB 3DS
BB Name AZ Price BB TIV
Funky Barn 9.48 12
Rabbids Rumble 7.91 10

AZ -> BB PS3
BB Name AZ Price BB TIV
007 Legends 17.25 22
Battleship 17.05 18

AZ -> BB WiiU
BB Name AZ Price BB TIV
Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 2013 15.34 21

Basically its the wannabe "elite flippers" who don't want the commoners to get ANY info. I appreciate what you do and wish for you to continue.

Also, ignore their post. Don't reply. You don't want to get into trouble over their greedy asses.

I'm surprised confoocious is still on the board, he causes more trouble than any single person I have ever seen, he is the CAG king of trolls and has been for years, nothing but a shit stirrer. As far as I know it was a fight between him and IATCG that got IATCG banned. I have him ignored. My flips pay for my huge game collection, so as far as I'm concerned that makes me the smart gamer. And unlike those elite idiots I prefer to improve the community by adding to it rather than all the incessant complaints I see.

I think I will make this my last post about those idiots and continue to post my lists until I asked to not do it by a mod.

Sorry to post negative like this but I HATE these elitist muthers, who do nothing but knock down other peoples efforts to be helpful.
I really appreciate the spreadsheets, do not possess your expertise, but am comfortable with excel basics.

Thanks again.

Yes, yes, I am in the camp of not spoon feeding the lurkers to tank values quickly and expose to the lazy who acts entitled by trading in an obvious batch of GS games or walks from the cashier to trade a just bought game back in...

between your spreadsheets and the op... info is there wrapped in a bow...

I was talking about confousious, I was agreeing with you, ass.
Sorry, yes I'll take the Ass. I'm pissed and apparently paranoid. lol

And to the spoon feeding comment, I have a different point of view, and had originally offered up the lists as raw data, requesting everyone contribute. When certain elitists started to voice their negative opinions, solely to protect their own efforts, I decided that I will not play their game. I'm sure other better programmers are on this board and have much better automated processes that they have built, but I've yet to see anyone offer up shit, so I'm offering my efforts. The more shit I receive, the more I will share, and the sooner I will share it. I have plenty of work to do integrating other buy/sell websites, so we'll see where things go. While I'm kept engaged in a pointless argument I will do what makes me feel good, which is currently denying those elitists their secrets.

So I have to ask why is it bad to have a list?

I really don't trade in games but I thought a list would be helpful to trying to get the max amount. I can see where a bunch of  super flippers would use it and maybe hurt the TIV's. I'm guessing that is why?

Sorry don't do much flipping or trading in, so not sure if this question would start anything, just curious.

I really don't trade in games but I thought a list would be helpful to trying to get the max amount. I can see where a bunch of super flippers would use it and maybe hurt the TIV's. I'm guessing that is why?

Sorry don't do much flipping or trading in, so not sure if this question would start anything, just curious.
It's not. It's actually really useful if you want to flip. Despite being accused of an elitist flipper, I've traded in like 10 games this year to best buy.

Stoned is just pissed cause he's spamming those lists in non-trade in threads and I said not every thread needs to be a flip thread.

He's really extra angry. Maybe cause of DIG, I dunno.

I really don't trade in games but I thought a list would be helpful to trying to get the max amount. I can see where a bunch of super flippers would use it and maybe hurt the TIV's. I'm guessing that is why?

Because to the get a list normally it would take cutting/pasting multiple pages from various websites and hours of effort to be current. Some folks use smart phones to achieve the same thing, and I've even witnessed a guy with a barcode scanner in a store checking prices at a local bookoff I sell to. They don't want you to have something easily that they have even worked hard to create. Some are afraid that SD will get the list and somehow hoard every possible flip on the planet. Most flips even with effort don't make a fortune, and for me personally, if I can earn 60$ in a week, I 'm happy as that pays for whatever game came out that week. Some folks apparently are paying their rent flipping !!

Sorry, yes I'll take the Ass. I'm pissed and apparently paranoid. lol

And to the spoon feeding comment, I have a different point of view, and had originally offered up the lists as raw data, requesting everyone contribute. When certain elitists started to voice their negative opinions, solely to protect their own efforts, I decided that I will not play their game. I'm sure other better programmers are on this board and have much better automated processes that they have built, but I've yet to see anyone offer up shit, so I'm offering my efforts. The more shit I receive, the more I will share, and the sooner I will share it. I have plenty of work to do integrating other buy/sell websites, so we'll see where things go. While I'm kept engaged in a pointless argument I will do what makes me feel good, which is currently denying those elitists their secrets.
not to inject an actual suggestion in to all of this, but since this is derisive enough to elicit this much noise in one thread why not just post your lists in a cag blog where you can update them daily without posting them in 5 different threads? put a link in your sig and people will find it through normal means (plus google will index it I think). then people that are annoyed by what you're doing don't have to see it anymore and people that want to see it can check the blog post daily.

And to the spoon feeding comment, I have a different point of view, and had originally offered up the lists as raw data, requesting everyone contribute.
Do of course, whatever you think is best.

For your efforts, I hope you always able to find and buy what your research shows.

Whoa! Glad that 1 piece of MEGA-ATOMIC info, from the original flipping thread, slipped through the cracks! Otherwise, this thread would be all kinds of World War III!! :hot:

not to inject an actual suggestion in to all of this, but since this is derisive enough to elicit this much noise in one thread why not just post your lists in a cag blog where you can update them daily without posting them in 5 different threads? put a link in your sig and people will find it through normal means (plus google will index it I think). then people that are annoyed by what you're doing don't have to see it anymore and people that want to see it can check the blog post daily.
You have a point, but I prefer just posting the TIV list in the forum specific to the company. Normally it would not create any clutter, just a single post, but what seems to have occurred is that I have rocked the status quo and enabled the less technical. I guess my liberal tendencies lean towards helping others.

I will only post --> BB lists in this forum going forward, and I guess post -> AZ in the Amazon trading threads with I'm sure the same polarizing effect. I had been invited to a flipping Blog a while back and have posted there too, but like I've said I do not like elitist behaviour, and I'm no hypocrite.

So if clutter is the problem, I suggest everyone stop posting negatively.

Didn't take long for the assholes to show up.

So who's auditioning for the whiny ass bitch show out of the three of you ?

And I'd like to point out that DudeMyHeadIsHuge, posts his exclusive flips in a blog elsewhere, which makes him a Hypocrite, and confirms what I've said all along he just doesn't want to share. For those of you that appreciate the TIV/Pricing lists please show support, and for those that think they are somehow a disaster, just ignore my posts.

Sorry to post negative shit like this but I HATE these elitist mutherfuckers, who do nothing but knock down other peoples efforts to be helpful.
We really doing this again?

My position has always been to not post flips in this thread because of lurkers. I don't care if anyone who at least takes the time to register an account knows what flips and what doesn't.

Im against spoonfeeding lurkers just to kill a TIV faster.

Basically its the wannabe "elite flippers" who don't want the commoners to get ANY info. I appreciate what you do and wish for you to continue.

Also, ignore their post. Don't reply. You don't want to get into trouble over their greedy asses.

lol

Wow, ok, everyone just chill the fuck out.  

I'll consider making the OP wikified again in the future, but in the past it has never been effective and not doing regular updates is sometimes worse than doing none (outdated information gets left in the OP where-as people can just refer to newer post or a link to see current promotion).  Sunday's aren't as busy for me anymore though, so I may be able to start updating the OP on the regular again I just don't know for sure yet. Certainly not going to take the time if the thread is going to be all bitching and moaning.

We really doing this again?

My position has always been to not post flips in this thread because of lurkers. I don't care if anyone who at least takes the time to register an account knows what flips and what doesn't.

Im against spoonfeeding lurkers just to kill a TIV faster.

lol
In otherwords, you simply won't share, but will gladly partake of any info others provide. Gotcha.

Thanks for confirming what we already knew.

bread's done
Back