* * * * - 22 votes

Best Buy Trade-in 5.0 - see FAQ in OP!

Trade In Best Buy Best Buy Trade In

#5041 Vigilante   Not Technically "Up" CAGiversary!   31695 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:44 PM

Two weekends ago I traded in $120 dollars worth of games and haven't received any points for trading in the games. I also didn't receive my 10% bonus for being GCU, is this something that i can call BBY about as I have written them an email and they still havent got back to me yet. The trade in should have netted me 240 reward zone points along with an extra $12 dollars from the trade in. I am new to all this and would like to know the best route to get the 17 dollars worth of BBY credit. 

Don't call. Send a PM to one of the mods on the Best Buy forums (preferably one who's been recently active--check the threads in the GCU forum) explaining the situation. Provide as much detail as you can, and he/she should be able to solve your problem.

Cloud_Squall78.png
Currently Playing: :3ds: LoZ: ALBW :ps3: Ni no Kuni  :vita: Lost Dimension

Last Beaten/Completed Console/Portable Games: :ps3: Metal Gear Rising (4.25/5) :vita: Super Blackout (4.0/5)

"Moreso than the good, it is the evil who must be rescued." -Shigesato Itoi

So the moral of the story is Vig is awesome; all glory to the master flipper.

#5042 blazenumb1   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1289 Posts   Joined 5.3 Years Ago  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:47 PM

Two weekends ago I traded in $120 dollars worth of games and haven't received any points for trading in the games. I also didn't receive my 10% bonus for being GCU, is this something that i can call BBY about as I have written them an email and they still havent got back to me yet. The trade in should have netted me 240 reward zone points along with an extra $12 dollars from the trade in. I am new to all this and would like to know the best route to get the 17 dollars worth of BBY credit. 

Sometimes points can take a bit to post but it wouldn't be bad idea to call and check. A word of advice though, always make sure you get the extra 10% before you leave, if you call customer service it's YMMV if they add the extra points. As far as the double points, just keep in mind the points double off the base value of your trade ins, not including any trade promos(50% or 100%) or the GCU 10% bonus. For example if you a trade in a game for $10 but it's during a 100% trade in promo and the value goes up $20($21 with GCU), you will only get the base value for double points(20pts, not 42pts).

However, their most recent trade in's that just have a price and no bonus %, you will get double off the entire thing. Hope this helps.

#5043 BudzMcGee   Clearance Bin Review CAGiversary!   3534 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:49 PM

This means they didn't add your information during the trade in. The Best Buy forum route is your best option as Vigilante mentioned. There are tips to make sure that doesn't happen to you again in the OP. 

Sometimes points can take a bit to post but it wouldn't be bad idea to call and check. A word of advice though, always make sure you get the extra 10% before you leave, if you call customer service it's YMMV if they add the extra points. As far as the double points, just keep in mind the points double off the base value of your trade ins, not including any trade promos(50% or 100%) or the GCU 10% bonus. For example if you a trade in a game for $10 but it's during a 100% trade in promo and the value goes up $20($21 with GCU), you will only get the base value for double points(20pts, not 42pts).

However, their most recent trade in's that just have a price and no bonus %, you will get double off the entire thing. Hope this helps.

Very good point. If your trade was $120 without a 100% bonus then you should have 240 points (10 points shy of $5 certificate). If your trade in was $60 before the bonus you should get 120 points. 

My video game site ClearanceBinReview.com - The right game for the right price.
300x156xBacklog-Quest-II-300x156.jpg.pag
Want to write reviews of iPhone and XBLIG's and get FREE games for doing so? We are looking for writers! Go HERE.

Get money back for purchases at Target, Best Buy and more with Ibotta (My Referral Link).

#5044 AvengedBacklog   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   11592 Posts   Joined 4.6 Years Ago  

AvengedBacklog

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:03 PM

Post a message on the BBY forums and a mod will help you out. Don't call, their phone CS is awful (at least with GCU related issues)

Garrus_Lannister.png

#5045 jwhit2736  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:10 PM

Don't call. Send a PM to one of the mods on the Best Buy forums (preferably one who's been recently active--check the threads in the GCU forum) explaining the situation. Provide as much detail as you can, and he/she should be able to solve your problem.

Thanks to everyone that replied, I will take Vigilantes advice an PM a mod about it and hopefully I can get this resolved. I guess I figured when the employee took my reward zone number down it would have been added without saying anything. I will read the OP to be better informed next time.

#5046 BudzMcGee   Clearance Bin Review CAGiversary!   3534 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:51 PM

Thanks to everyone that replied, I will take Vigilantes advice an PM a mod about it and hopefully I can get this resolved. I guess I figured when the employee took my reward zone number down it would have been added without saying anything. I will read the OP to be better informed next time.

They can take your number at two different times. First/cart page = GCU being added. Second/personal information page = no GCU, just looking up your data so they don't have to enter as much to do the trade. 

Want to write reviews of iPhone and XBLIG's and get FREE games for doing so? We are looking for writers! Go HERE.

Get money back for purchases at Target, Best Buy and more with Ibotta (My Referral Link).

#5047 Enuf   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8191 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:18 PM

I wish they would roll over some of the instore benefits to the online trade ins..

I`d like to see more diversity beyond 50%, 100% & trade 2 for really. More options are better.

#5048 IMikeU   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   70 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:15 PM

Really? Only 30 for Infamous SS.  Better go up to $40 on sunday or Ill have to visit Gamestop bleh.

#5049 Mako1215   Mr.OneOfWonder CAGiversary!   7059 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:09 AM

Anyone have any idea on how to turn the RZ points into a gift card?

First, how can you claim prior non-existance to devalue a movement? I am sure the civil rights movement would love that. "Well, there was no movement to free the slaves before, so why is it relavent now?"

518793.png

#5050 mask-air-raid   Mr. Encyclopedia of Soda Banned   5809 Posts   Joined 2.8 Years Ago  

mask-air-raid

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:06 AM

Buy a gift card using certificates.

Swag Bucks referral: http://swagbucks.com/refer/newmask
GiftHulk invite code:RD172480
ShopKick: http://get.shopkick.com/barium13444
Gets you GC and PayPal cash. Over 0 CAGs referred!
Send me a PM if you use my links so I know who you are.

#5051 qualityman13  

qualityman13

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:49 AM

I wish they would roll over some of the instore benefits to the online trade ins..

I would like the points but I don't want them tracking my online trade ins as well. I would have gone over the limit awhile ago.
Want 20% off games at Best Buy? Click here. http://www.cheapassg...t-buy-discount/
Free Amazon Prime For 3 Months (Enjoy Free Two day Shipping)
http://www.amazon.co...ef_type=generic

#5052 Flash15   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4659 Posts   Joined 3.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:12 PM

I would like the points but I don't want them tracking my online trade ins as well. I would have gone over the limit awhile ago.

There's no online trade limit?

#5053 Kojubat   Not a Pok√©mon CAGiversary!   1554 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:12 PM

Buy a gift card using certificates.

You aren't supposed to be able to do that, based on the occasional resistance I get combining gift cards. Once they check with someone else, they usually apologize for confusing the gift cards with the reward certificates. (There is a reason the certificates expire and gift cards don't.)

Of course, not every cashier is well versed on the rules or necessarily cares, assuming the system would even allow it.

Considering reward zone certificates seem to act like coupons instead of payment in their POS, you probably wouldn't get the full value if you purchased something and did a gift return, but I've never tried it.

All that being said, depending on GCU membership, there is a deal of the day today that could easily convert a few reward certificates to gift cards in $15 blocks with a little time and effort.

#5054 KMoney33   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   424 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

KMoney33

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:02 PM

Really? Only 30 for Infamous SS.  Better go up to $40 on sunday or Ill have to visit Gamestop bleh.

I would wait to see if the 100% bonus is back next week. The price will likely drop to $20-$22 but you'll get over $40 likely.  I usually only trade in when the 100% is available because even if the prices drop you get more.  C'mon gamestop?!

#5055 Vigilante   Not Technically "Up" CAGiversary!   31695 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:02 PM

I would wait to see if the 100% bonus is back next week. The price will likely drop to $20-$22 but you'll get over $40 likely.  I usually only trade in when the 100% is available because even if the prices drop you get more.  C'mon gamestop?!

Gamestop is giving a guaranteed $40 credit for InFAMOUS through mid-April.

Cloud_Squall78.png
Currently Playing: :3ds: LoZ: ALBW :ps3: Ni no Kuni  :vita: Lost Dimension

Last Beaten/Completed Console/Portable Games: :ps3: Metal Gear Rising (4.25/5) :vita: Super Blackout (4.0/5)

"Moreso than the good, it is the evil who must be rescued." -Shigesato Itoi

So the moral of the story is Vig is awesome; all glory to the master flipper.

#5056 KMoney33   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   424 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

KMoney33

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:10 PM

Gamestop is giving a guaranteed $40 credit for InFAMOUS through mid-April.

Yeah I understand that, but like I said if you wait for the 100% trade in you'll highly likely get at least $40 + and this way you don't have gamestop credit where you will have to pay full price for something whereas best buy has some great discounts and deals.

#5057 BudzMcGee   Clearance Bin Review CAGiversary!   3534 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:21 PM

Only real way to do this is to purchase games that you can trade back in for about even. For example, if you are GCU you could buy Arkham Origins today for $17 and trade in for $19.80. The problem is that you'd only be able to transfer $15 in certificates and pay a buck or two for the remainder (there would be less tax, you would only pay tax on $1 basically) to do so. 

Since I'm elite plus I just let my points bank and tend to use them on larger purchases because the fact they lower tax makes them even more valuable in a way. 

#5058 CaseX   CAG addict CAGiversary!   1886 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:29 PM

Only real way to do this is to purchase games that you can trade back in for about even. For example, if you are GCU you could buy Arkham Origins today for $17 and trade in for $19.80. The problem is that you'd only be able to transfer $15 in certificates and pay a buck or two for the remainder (there would be less tax, you would only pay tax on $1 basically) to do so. 

Since I'm elite plus I just let my points bank and tend to use them on larger purchases because the fact they lower tax makes them even more valuable in a way. 

The certs lower the actual value of the item for tax purposes?  That's good to know.  I'm banking my points then!

#5059 nixmahn   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2640 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:30 PM

They a charge tax when paying with a GC. How ever they don't charge tax on the RZ points/dollars

paying 5.05 in GC vs 5.00 in RZ points makes a difference to a CAG.

#5060 BudzMcGee   Clearance Bin Review CAGiversary!   3534 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:45 PM

They a charge tax when paying with a GC. How ever they don't charge tax on the RZ points/dollars

paying 5.05 in GC vs 5.00 in RZ points makes a difference to a CAG.

That example wouldn't make a  difference but when you're banking points and make a $500 purchase but use $250 in certificates you only end up paying tax on $250 of your purchase. That's $34.25 in tax vs $17.19 around here. Did that when I bought my X1. It's not gigantic but it's a nice bonus to saving my certificates for bigger purchases. 

#5061 Flash15   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4659 Posts   Joined 3.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:58 PM

Got my gift card through email. The whole process, from dropping it with UPS, to getting the gift card, took about 9 days. 

:D/

#5062 Hemi   One with the never-ending backlog. CAGiversary!   2945 Posts   Joined 3.3 Years Ago  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:04 PM

That example wouldn't make a  difference but when you're banking points and make a $500 purchase but use $250 in certificates you only end up paying tax on $250 of your purchase. That's $34.25 in tax vs $17.19 around here. Did that when I bought my X1. It's not gigantic but it's a nice bonus to saving my certificates for bigger purchases. 

Well, the thing is that it only APPEARS to be a better savings. More of an "apparent" gratification, because you don't add up all the tax you save on the small purchases. It doesn't matter how big the purchase is, I always use my gift cert's when I can.
It mostly is if you want to save the $17.19 on ONE purchase, or spread out over a few. But saving them might help prevent impulse buys because "With certs it would be free so why not!"

#5063 BudzMcGee   Clearance Bin Review CAGiversary!   3534 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:45 PM

Well, the thing is that it only APPEARS to be a better savings. More of an "apparent" gratification, because you don't add up all the tax you save on the small purchases. It doesn't matter how big the purchase is, I always use my gift cert's when I can.
It mostly is if you want to save the $17.19 on ONE purchase, or spread out over a few. But saving them might help prevent impulse buys because "With certs it would be free so why not!"

I tend to use my gift cards for the smaller purchases anyway. I regularly have at least $50 in BBY gift cards, don't always have $500. 

#5064 dreamer131313  

dreamer131313

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:52 PM

i usually always save my certificates for preorders part of the $10 back that way i use a $10 certificate and end up paying only $38 plus tax for day one games since i know that $10 will rebound back to me in 15 days and then use my gift cards on other stuff or games i know im trade back in essentially recycling one gift card for another and usually nothing out of pocket. it help keep oop costs down

#5065 qualityman13  

qualityman13

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:53 PM

There's no online trade limit?

That's is correct, you can send as much as you want. It is not linked to your drivers license as the store trade ins are
Want 20% off games at Best Buy? Click here. http://www.cheapassg...t-buy-discount/
Free Amazon Prime For 3 Months (Enjoy Free Two day Shipping)
http://www.amazon.co...ef_type=generic

#5066 Flash15   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4659 Posts   Joined 3.5 Years Ago  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:17 PM

That's is correct, you can send as much as you want. It is not linked to your drivers license as the store trade ins are

oh okay, i thought your post meant that you thought there was an online limit. nvm :)

#5067 Chief Keef   GBE 3hunna CAGiversary!   1273 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Chief Keef

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:55 AM

Will the TIVs go back up on Sunday? 

I pour a 6 in a 24 ounce now I'm leanin

Okay now let me Fuck now now I'm leavin

Baby I just smoked a whole pound now I'm dreamin

It got me buying shit like I need it

I'm high as Fuck johnny dang brighten up my jewelry then I light you up

#5068 mask-air-raid   Mr. Encyclopedia of Soda Banned   5809 Posts   Joined 2.8 Years Ago  

mask-air-raid

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:57 AM

Will the TIVs go back up on Sunday? 

Like the maximum? I don't think so. They've been lowered to $30 base as the highest and something a bit higher than $30 on 100% weeks.

#5069 Chief Keef   GBE 3hunna CAGiversary!   1273 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Chief Keef

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:07 AM

Like the maximum? I don't think so. They've been lowered to $30 base as the highest and something a bit higher than $30 on 100% weeks.

When I bought Tomb Raider last Thursday the TIV for it was $40. I just finished it today and it's down to $30. Titanfall is down to $30 as well.

I pour a 6 in a 24 ounce now I'm leanin

Okay now let me Fuck now now I'm leavin

Baby I just smoked a whole pound now I'm dreamin

It got me buying shit like I need it

I'm high as Fuck johnny dang brighten up my jewelry then I light you up

#5070 mask-air-raid   Mr. Encyclopedia of Soda Banned   5809 Posts   Joined 2.8 Years Ago  

mask-air-raid

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:18 AM

There was a "promo" last week that restored most values to what they would have been without the decrease.