Whats going to happen to our GFWL games?

shosh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
Does anyone know whats going to happen to our games that use GFWL? Since the service is shutting down 7/14, what happens to our games like gta4 that we got on steam?

Green = GFWL has been removed.
Blue = GFWL will be removed.
Red = No plans.
Purple = We've reached out but are still awaiting response.

2K Games
BioShock 2 (Steamworks)

Bethesda
Fallout 3 (None. GFWL CD key requirement removed by Steam. Instructions are available for downloading and archiving DLC purchased through GFWL.)

Capcom
Dark Void (No plans.)
Dead Rising 2 (No plans.)
Dead Rising 2: Off the Record (No plans.)
Lost Planet 2 (No plans.)
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition Colonies Edition (No plans.)
Resident Evil 5 (No plans.)
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City (No plans.)
Street Fighter X Tekken (No plans.)
Super Street Fighter IV / Arcade Edition (Steamworks)

Codemasters
DiRT 2 (No Comment.)
DiRT 3 (Steamworks)
F1 2010 (Steamworks)
F1 2011 (Steamworks)
Fuel (No Comment. Delisted from Steam.)
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising (No Comment.)
Operation Flashpoint: Red River (No Comment.)

Double Fine Productions
Iron Brigade (No plans.)

EA
Bulletstorm(No Response)

Microsoft
Fable 3 (No plans.)
Gears of War (No plans.)
Halo 2 (No plans.)
Microsoft Flight (No plans.)
Shadowrun (No plans.)
Tinker (No plans.)
Viva Piñata (No plans.)

Namco Bandai
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon - Enhanced Edition (Exploring options, but no set plans yet.)
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (Exploring options, but no set plans yet.)

Nordic Games
Red Faction: Guerrilla (Will strip GFWL. May replace with an existing service or develop its own.)

Rockstar Games
Grand Theft Auto IV + Episodes From Liberty City(No Response)

Sega
The Club(No Response)
Stormrise(No Response)
Universe at War: Earth Assault(No Response)
Virtua Tennis 4(No Response)
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 2
(No Response)

Shadow Planet Productions
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet (Steamworks)

Signal Studios
Toy Soldiers (Can choose between GFWL or Steamworks)

Strategy First
Flatout: Ultimate Carnage (No Response)

Square Enix
Kane & Lynch: Dead Men(No Response)

Twisted Pixel
Ms. Splosion Man (Steamworks. No timeline.)

Warner Bros
Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY (Steamworks)
Batman: Arkham City GOTY (Steamworks)
Gotham City Impostors (Steamworks)
Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection (No Response)

Zombie Studios / Ignition Entertainment
Blacklight: Tango Down (No plans.)

The following games are extremely unlikely to be updated:

Activision
Quantum of Solace (Delisted. Publisher no longer has rights to franchise.)

Disney Interactive
Star Wars: Clone Wars - Republic Heroes (Original publisher [Lucasarts] Closed)
Tron: Evolution (Studio Closed)

Timegate Studios
Section 8 (Studio Closed)
Section 8: Prejudice (Studio Closed)

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems that it's up to the dev/publisher to remove GFWL from their games. If the game has an online component, I would think they would HAVE to remove GFWL and put something else in, like, Steam matchmaking. Otherwise, come 7/14, they'd be selling an incomplete product and would have to remove said game from digital retailers. If the game doesn't have an online component (Fallout 3), I'm not sure if they'd be required to remove it or not.

Basically, it's up to the dev/publisher to remove it. I know Bioshock 2 was fully converted to Steamworks and I think Arkham Asylum/City may do the same (just rumors).

Do you know if there is a list of these games that are being converted? I also wonder what'll happened to the copy of fable 3 I got from gfwl.

I don't know what will happen but one thing is for sure, pirates don't need to worry about DRM in any way. It really bothers me that legitimate customers are getting screwed.

I never thought about this until now, but I have some DLC purchased through GFWL such as Bioshock 2 Minerva's Den. I'm guessing that will just be lost, and I'll just have to buy it through Steam if I want to play it again.

Nevermind. I just checked, and I already have Minerva's Den on Steam... I thought I had bought Bioshock 2 cheap during a sale, and it turns out Minerva's Den was just included. :)

Yeah it depends on the dev.

Most retail keys of Bioshock 2 are activatable on Steam now, for instance. (I just activated mine there)

well looks like the 2 batman games got the treatment and went full steamworks. Now I'm hoping the Dirt games, GTA IV and SSFIV will get the same treatment.

I wonder if MS will give me a steam key for the lone Fable 3 game I got from gfwl marketplace.

Nevermind. I just checked, and I already have Minerva's Den on Steam... I thought I had bought Bioshock 2 cheap during a sale, and it turns out Minerva's Den was just included. :)
Actually, when Bioshock 2 was converted to Steamworks a few weeks ago, everyone that registered it to their account (whether purchased through Steam or not) was given Minerva's Den for free. The same thing is happening with Arkham Asylum/City. Even if your key is not for the GOTY version, you will be given the GOTY content when registering it on Steam.

Actually, when Bioshock 2 was converted to Steamworks a few weeks ago, everyone that registered it to their account (whether purchased through Steam or not) was given Minerva's Den for free. The same thing is happening with Arkham Asylum/City. Even if your key is not for the GOTY version, you will be given the GOTY content when registering it on Steam.
Good post, I didnt realize they were doing that, good move by them.

well looks like the 2 batman games got the treatment and went full steamworks. Now I'm hoping the Dirt games, GTA IV and SSFIV will get the same treatment.

I wonder if MS will give me a steam key for the lone Fable 3 game I got from gfwl marketplace.
I suspect that SSFIV won't... They'll have Ultra Street Fighter IV coming out next year after all.

What about the games that were just for GFWL.  I have Halo 2 and Tinker.  Sure Halo 2 never gets played now mostly due to the fact I couldn't get it to connect to my account, but I did link Tinker.  It was a nice puzzle game.

Does anyone who purchased Batman AA and/or AC have two listings for each game in their Steam library?  I have a regular and GOTY for each.  I only purchased the GOTY of AA through GFWL marketplace, so I'm wondering if the regular is GFWL and the GOTY is Steamworks?

Also, even with the patch notes from Batman, there's no word that GFWL services are shutting down on 7/1/14.  Only AoE Online.

So I was looking at my backlog of PC games that I have bought over the years from Target clearances and I see a number of games that are Games for Windows in my inventory.   I also have games like Fallout 3:GOTY edition, which I beat the main game, but not the add on's.  I have since moved to windows 7 which steam is screaming that F3:GOTY will not work on if I try to buy it from there.  I was able to locate the saved game files.  Can I manually copy over the files to the new install if I can get F3 to work on Windows 7 and continue there or do I have to log into the game from the GFW log in?

Fallout 3 will work on Windows 7 and you can use your previous saves. I recently reinstalled it and it initially complained about not having a certain .dll I had to get by installing the GFWL software but I didn't have to do anything with GFWL after that.

I was thinking about getting dark souls again for achievements (I already got them all on 360) but it looks like most of this stuff is getting removed.

so now it seems they aren't going to do away with gfwl games.
I'm not convinced. They might leave some bare bones server up for activation and such but I don't see them leaving up full multiplayer with matchmaking etc indefinitely.

Besides several high profile publishers spent significant resources to convert some of their games to Steamworks. I don't think they would have done that if they didn't have to. Unless Microsoft are being waffly asshates which is possible I suppose.

bread's done
Back