Microsoft extends free Xbox Games with Gold program for Xbox 360 Indefinitely

Erad30

CAGiversary!
Add to My News
Story by Dave Owen

Fri, Oct 18, 2013 | 10:00 BST

Microsoft extends free Xbox Games with Gold program for Xbox 360
Free games are good, and Xbox 360 Gold subscribers are going to continue getting them, as Microsoft has announced that the Games with Gold program is going to continue indefinitely. There’s no mention of Xbox One, though.

halo3-3-lg.jpg

“At E3 2013, we launched Games with Gold as a limited-time program to thank our Xbox Live Gold members,” reads a new post on the News Wire. “Within that short period of time, we’ve seen an overwhelming response, with more than 120 million hours played with Games with Gold titles. Today, as a part of the Week of Xbox Live, we’re excited to announce that we are making Games with Gold an ongoing benefit for Xbox Live Gold members on Xbox 360.

“Whether they are blockbuster AAA or popular arcade titles, Games with Gold continues to offer a diverse mix of games with two free Xbox 360 titles a month – yours to keep and at no additional cost,” it continues. “According to recent surveys, 97 percent of participating members have given their stamp of approval for Games with Gold, and we’re excited to continue bringing you great games every month as part of our ongoing commitment to providing great value on Xbox 360.”

Currently available for free with a Gold subscription is Halo 3.

The post makes no mention of whether or not the program will feature on Xbox One.

You won't find me complaining about this news.  MTG 2013 was solid and Clash of Heroes while not exactly my cup of tea wasn't half bad either.  If anything this gives me even more incentive to ignore next gen until I'm good and ready to commit.

And no mention of Xbox One... Meaning PS4 will continue with the awesome PS PLUS Instant Game Collection on next gen, and you have to stick with 360 for free games... Is this another scenario where a Micorofte Exec says "then stick with 360 if you want free games", there is an uproar, and Mircosoft decides to add Games for Gold on Xbox One....

And no mention of Xbox One... Meaning PS4 will continue with the awesome PS PLUS Instant Game Collection on next gen, and you have to stick with 360 for free games... Is this another scenario where a Micorofte Exec says "then stick with 360 if you want free games", there is an uproar, and Mircosoft decides to add Games for Gold on Xbox One....
There aren't many games announced for the XboxOne yet. They probably will continue once they have a big enough library.

There's no reason they couldn't do little indie titles till they have a big library of AAA titles, that's exactly what Sony is doing with plus.

Then how come PS4 can do it, I thought everyone has been saying PS4 will have less launch titles.... yet we get contrast and resogun, DriveClun come early 2014 and Outlast soon after....

How is the PS4 going to do it if it isn't backwards compatible with ps3 games? A bunch of indie games? Really? You can never make everyone happy. When the 360 releases arcade games for free people complain. When Sony releases indie games that's acceptable? I don't get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
How is the PS4 going to do it if it isn't backwards compatible with ps3 games? A bunch of indie games? Really? You can never make everyone happy. When the 360 releases arcade games for free people complain. When Sony releases indie games that's acceptable? I don't get it.
Microsoft can't win, good or bad people will find a way to complain some how.

But it isn't just indie games... Outlast isn't an Indie game, and neither is Drive Club... Yes the two launch games are "indie", but Resogun was the talk of every games conference it was at and most peoles most anticipated launch game...  Microsoft would have been smart to at least give away one free indie game at launch, but instead are continuing on 360 to keep people who stay behind happy...

The only thing that could really hurt Microsoft is the PS4's online servers getting better due to the required charge for usage to match Xbox Live...  But no one will know until either launch or a litle bit later.

But it isn't just indie games... Outlast isn't an Indie game, and neither is Drive Club... Yes the two launch games are "indie", but Resogun was the talk of every games conference it was at and most peoles most anticipated launch game... Microsoft would have been smart to at least give away one free indie game at launch, but instead are continuing on 360 to keep people who stay behind happy...

The only thing that could really hurt Microsoft is the PS4's online servers getting better due to the required charge for usage to match Xbox Live... But no one will know until either launch or a litle bit later.
They aren't giving away Killer Instinct at launch on the Xbox One? And before you say that KI is a gimped version of the retail game, well so is Drive Club. Drive Club is going to have a limited selection of cars and tracks for PS+ members. Outlast basically looks like an XBLA/PS3 arcade game. While the two indie games may be great games, they won't be system sellers. They won't really even push people one way or the other. The importance of indie games is overblown by communities like ours (cag, ign, gamespot etc...). The main people that are buying these consoles are going to buy/care about Call of Duty/Madden/Battlefield/Assassins Creed.

The thing that is going to hurt MS is their own arrogance this generation. They are setting themselves up to be the Sony of the previous generation. Console price set too high. Expectations set too high.

that is not the point, no that is not going to sell systems... I am comparing the free game programs of both consoles... A free game is a free game, yes Ki is a free to play game, but it is even more watered down than Drive Club will be per both reports on what they will look like, You could enjoy driveclub and finish the game, play online, have plenty to chose from at the get go.  KI has even been announced as a free game DEMO, yes you get the game, but one character, plus no online!

Outlast looks like a fun NEW game, not like other games out there like COD, BF, HALO... etc... And I haven't even hit on the fact that PS Plus also gives free games to Vita as well... one subscription gets you 10+ free games a month.  Xbox GOld gives you two, extremely old or unpopular game.  I mean Halo 3?  Why not Halo 4?  it's been almost a year?

Until Microsoft announces that it is extending to Xbox One, or at least gets better games, Microsoft better hope that Sony can't get its act together as far as servers, otherwise it can give more people a reason to jump ship.

that is not the point, no that is not going to sell systems... I am comparing the free game programs of both consoles... A free game is a free game, yes Ki is a free to play game, but it is even more watered down than Drive Club will be per both reports on what they will look like, You could enjoy driveclub and finish the game, play online, have plenty to chose from at the get go. KI has even been announced as a free game DEMO, yes you get the game, but one character, plus no online!

Outlast looks like a fun NEW game, not like other games out there like COD, BF, HALO... etc... And I haven't even hit on the fact that PS Plus also gives free games to Vita as well... one subscription gets you 10+ free games a month. Xbox GOld gives you two, extremely old or unpopular game. I mean Halo 3? Why not Halo 4? it's been almost a year?

Until Microsoft announces that it is extending to Xbox One, or at least gets better games, Microsoft better hope that Sony can't get its act together as far as servers, otherwise it can give more people a reason to jump ship.
You should probably research your information a little better before making statements

As soon as you hook up your console you are able to download the free version of Killer Instinct which includes all single player and online modes for free including training. Jago is the initial free character, but there are plans to rotate Jago out with other characters in the future

that is not the point, no that is not going to sell systems... I am comparing the free game programs of both consoles... A free game is a free game, yes Ki is a free to play game, but it is even more watered down than Drive Club will be per both reports on what they will look like, You could enjoy driveclub and finish the game, play online, have plenty to chose from at the get go. KI has even been announced as a free game DEMO, yes you get the game, but one character, plus no online!

Outlast looks like a fun NEW game, not like other games out there like COD, BF, HALO... etc... And I haven't even hit on the fact that PS Plus also gives free games to Vita as well... one subscription gets you 10+ free games a month. Xbox GOld gives you two, extremely old or unpopular game. I mean Halo 3? Why not Halo 4? it's been almost a year?

Your missing the point entirely. XBox Live Gold charges were to play online. MS has simply extended that membership over the years to include discounts on games, the use of other services, and now free games. No one is forcing anyone to pay for XBox Live Gold, these games are of benefit to anyone as long as they are half decent. Yes Vegas and Halo 3 are old, but they are still quality games.

Also, no offense but the Sony fanboys are in full force on the internet. If we could take what everyone says about the Sony as truthfact online then the Vita would be the best selling handheld of all time.

People will jump ship for the games and price. Right now Sony is ahead of the game being $100 cheaper. They have to show the games, and I'm not fully convinced by Killzone or Drive Club (which is now delayed) are must have titles. Graphics are not going to win the war for Sony, if that was the case the Wii would have been dead last last gen. But that's just my opinion.

Also, excellent job de-railing the thread. We appreciate it.

I don't mind the old games. It helps revive old communities that I thought were long dead.

People should remember that PS Plus had a rocky start as well. I'd argue the first year and a half was very weak. 

Drive Club got delayed haha, just thinking of all the people that told me how great it was going to be to play that with their new PS4s. This is overall a good move on Microsoft as getting an incentive to stick with Gold will work out but I do have to agree and say they need to offer an occasional new game here and there to be competitive.

I seriously wonder what games they're going to release considering they have limited themselves to a $35 budget per month, according to the European press release that said the budget was 30 British pounds per month. I guess we'll see a lot more of the sequels of the games already given away (R6V2, ODST, AC Brotherhood, etc.) and random older XBLA games.

It's nice MS is doing this, but still pales in comparison to PS Plus, although it's understandable considering this is forever while PS Plus is tied to your sub.

I've already decided to go PS4 over Xbox One, so the only reason why I'd keep Live at this point is Games with Gold. However, the games don't seem to be good enough right now. Hopefully Microsoft does a better job getting newer games going forward.

When a competing service is giving me retail games released in 2012 instead of 2007, then ya I will critique it.
The services are not comparable and I say this as someone who loves PS+. Don't get me wrong, there is no doubt that you get more bang for your buck from Sony especially when it comes to newer games. However, in my personal experience PSN has performed worse than XBL. Also, M$ lets you keep your games, ie you actually own them. Sony is merely letting you "rent" them, which again is fine by me, but might be a turn off for others.

I am happy with free games.  I have have or played some of the titles.  If not, I DL them.  I am happy to get DR2, AC2, Crackdown and R6:Vegas. 

What would that have to do with what free games they give you?
Because that's the only benefit to having PS+ now. On PS4 you need to have it to play online, why would they give you a bunch of stuff free you can pay for when they already have your money. Surprised you have to ask.

Because that's the only benefit to having PS+ now. On PS4 you need to have it to play online, why would they give you a bunch of stuff free you can pay for when they already have your money. Surprised you have to ask.
They've been doing a fairly good job with Playstation Plus. Arguably with more users they can command a better selection of games. Although we really won't know until about a year after the thing is released.

Just acquired my first 360, have been with PS3 for years and found a great deal on a newer Slim system. I'm trying to find Gold trials but there seem to be nothing but scam sites when I search online, can anyone point me in the right direction?

I'll admit, it's quite nice getting these free games, even if they're fairly old. Some of these games they've given out for free I haven't even played, so when I can get a game for free, it's always nice. I do wish they'd release newer titles, at least a couple years old at the most. 

Interesting, I suppose I have an incentive to renew my Gold subscription, even though I have really no interest in multiplayer.  I don't mind old games, especially if they are 360 exclusives. 

I heard Microsoft will still be supporting the 360 for the next 3 years when the Xbox One is released. 

I still wish you could get the games you missed out on when your Gold subscription lapses.  I missed out on Assassin's Creed II and Crackdown.

Going to go get Halo 3 soon.  Here's to some more great games being released.

Does anyone know what games we're getting next month? We got Halo 3 and Rainbow Six Vegas this month right? I forgot. 

REALLY!>!?!?  While PS Plus gets Contrast and Resogun for PS4, Dragons Dogma, Ibb and OBB, and Binary Domain for PS3, and Vita gets ODD World and Soul Sacrifice!!

I think I am going to finally let my xbox live membership expire...

November is weak.  But, I do not own IB.  So, it is something I don't own for free.  Also, if you do own Keflings, your getting a decent deal.  The game is pretty fun.

fuck it, Iron Brigade (aka Trenched) is actually a pretty cool game. Still feel a bit ripped off since they are both downloads, but hopefully this will make Trenched a bit more active online again.

bread's done
Back