Experience with retailers that take USED returns (on electronics/games) and put them back for sale as new? [Kmart rant]

GBAstar

CAGiversary!
Feedback
62 (100%)
This is my second bad experience with Kmart in the past 18 months regarding video game hardware (two separate locations).

About a year ago I bought a clearance PSP-3000 from a Kmart (not my regular location) for $79.99 (I think that was the price). One of the seals was broken but the other two were in tact and the employee assured me that it has been out back for a year plus and had never been bought or returned. However when I got home and opened it not only was the console used, it was obviously broken (damaged/cracked screen) but the S/N didn't even match what was on the box. To make it worse when I went to return it  the manager on duty talked to me as if I was the one trying to scam his store. After about fifteen minutes of explaining the situation to him, he finally allowed me to exchange it for another unit which was new (confirmed in store).

Today at my local Kmart I picked up a Pink 3DS XL for a relative because I had a 20% back in points coupon and currently these coupons still work on hardware. The Pink 3DS XL wasn't at this location a few days ago when I was looking for something else (their inventory levels are pretty pathetic) but I figured they must have just gotten a unit reallocated to there store. When the employee took it out of the cabinet and brought it the register I noticed that something didn't look right with the seals; it looked like there was dirt or something behind them as if someone had removed them and put them back. I ask if I could purchase the unit at Customer Service so that i could carefully open it and verify that the unit was indeed the correct one and wasn't another damaged or broken unit.

So I carefully opened it and just verified that the S/N matched and went on with the purchase. The cashier at Customer Service said that someone had bought it and then had buyers remorse the same day and taken it back. She said she was the one who had originally opened it and accepted the return and that the original buyer hadn't used it. I will admit that I was in a rush so I just bought it and figured good enough. When I got home I decided to take another look and even though the S/N on the console matched what was on the box it had game saves and showed obvious signs of use including dirt and grime on the back and joystick (in the store I just looked at the S/N and never opened the clamshell).

I'll take 100% of the responsibility for not just walking away from the purchase (I should have) but the point to this rant is I don't understand how any retailer can take a return on an electronics item in which it has been opened or even possibly been opened and used and then resell it as brand new. At the very least shouldn't they be stickering this as "opened box"? Or "repackaged?"

That is why I never buy electronics at major retail stores. I get my Gaming needs from Gamestop or Amazon. 

That is why I never buy electronics at major retail stores. I get my Gaming needs from Gamestop or Amazon.
And to add to this with another unrelated rant, what is Nintendo thinking with there latest consoles? Neither the 2DS nor the Wii U come with any safety seals of any sort. I bought my Wii U Zelda Bundle at launch just because I was afraid if I waited I'd run the risk of buying a unit that had been tampered with as most retail store employees don't know what to look for

This happened all the time when I worked at Kmart.  Either the idiots at the CS desk took it without calling anyone from Electronics to verify or the other bone heads in electronics didn't care.

Employee theft was also a problem... One bastard took out a Vita and placed batteries in it to simulate the weight..but the idiot made it heavier than the vita itself and did a sloppy job resealing it.  They let him work there until he finally quit.  Now he's a fucking manager at Arby's........um ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a new microwave from them and there was food caked on the inside.

It blows my mind that any store, even Kmart, would not examine a return for potential fraud. I'm assuming they are against shaming their customers?

Really, it's KMART. Might as well go shopping at a flea market or rummage sale.

Ironic considering Gamestop b&m guts their games, adds stickers to the case, and then sells as new. Now I don't think they do that to their consoles, but I still wouldn't really trust them over any other retailer. At best, they are basically just the same as all the other major retail stores.

Amazon I don't really trust with electronics either. In terms of small electronics, I've received multiple DOA items, stuff shipped to me with the mailing label stuck right to the retail package (not even in an Amazon box or anything), and I've also experienced an absurdly blatant "repackage" (headphones) from Amazon. Now I had no trouble at all returning them, but the disadvantage with buying from Amazon is you don't get to inspect the item first. Fortunately I ordered a Holiday 360 a couple of years ago, and had no issues with it at all. My only experience buying a console from them.

KMART is just a junky retailer. So you just have to look and make sure the case is in pristine shape if you are worried about it being a return. Target seems to be best about marking the item as a "repackage" or a return, and they seem to put these returned items on certain endcaps. Wal-Mart is pretty bad about this, and KMART is one of the worst retailers on the planet so it's not surprising they would fail at this - just like everything else.

Really, it's KMART. Might as well go shopping at a flea market or rummage sale.

Ironic considering Gamestop b&m guts their games, adds stickers to the case, and then sells as new. Now I don't think they do that to their consoles, but I still wouldn't really trust them over any other retailer. At best, they are basically just the same as all the other major retail stores.

Amazon I don't really trust with electronics either. In terms of small electronics, I've received multiple DOA items, stuff shipped to me with the mailing label stuck right to the retail package (not even in an Amazon box or anything), and I've also experienced an absurdly blatant "repackage" (headphones) from Amazon. Now I had no trouble at all returning them, but the disadvantage with buying from Amazon is you don't get to inspect the item first. Fortunately I ordered a Holiday 360 a couple of years ago, and had no issues with it at all. My only experience buying a console from them.

KMART is just a junky retailer. So you just have to look and make sure the case is in pristine shape if you are worried about it being a return. Target seems to be best about marking the item as a "repackage" or a return, and they seem to put these returned items on certain endcaps. Wal-Mart is pretty bad about this, and KMART is one of the worst retailers on the planet so it's not surprising they would fail at this - just like everything else.
To follow-up on my initial story I was able to return the Pink 3DS XL without a problem. The employee surprisingly didn't hesitate at all.

In fact they didn't even check the box that I returned to them and as they were issuing the refund they called an employee over the radio and said they had merchandise that needed to go back to the Electronics section.

I mean unbelievable. This was AFTER I explained in length why I was returning the item (had previously been used).

In the Walmart that I work at, the only things that will go back on the shelf that has been returned is if the item is still sealed. If it's not, then it goes to the back to be claimed out.

I only have one similar experience, which is kind of disgusting. I bought a pair of shorts at the local Bon-Ton, they ripped in like 2 wearings, so I took them back. A week later we were shopping there and find the same pair of shorts on the shelf, retagged and sitting there complete with the hole in them after I had worn them...

I believe its illegal in some states to resell any kind of clothing that has previously been worn, but these were clearly taken from the return pile and put right back on the shelf regardless. We are now very careful when we shop at Bon-Ton after this incident, and we don't buy anything with those little paper barcode printed tags.

I haven't had a problem shopping at Amazon or BestBuy for electronics. I have seen lots of stolen games and open wrappers on games at Kmart. Kmart is a retailer that just gets more shady, I won't be shopping there anymore especially since they seem to charge 30-50% more than Walmart and a Target on almost everything and that they removed the price scanners which basically makes it impossible to shop there since everything rings up as the wrong price at the registers and I would have to get a price check for each item and stand there for 20 min which is something I simply do not have time for for these days. I do not have this problem at other stores, not even at Walmart. We only shop there now if it's something we absolutely cannot get elsewhere.

One time I bought a "cpu" from Wal-Mart on clearance.  As soon as I got home, I opened it up.  It was just a case with a few inches of dust and some usb ports.  I took it back with no problems, but i was  a little peeved.  The box was taped up perfectly and everything.

As a walmart employee... I've seen so much theft it's not funny, I actually had to point out to management once when someone returned multiple ps2 controllers (3rd party) back in ps3 boxes after it was put back on the shelf. but I've seen people return ps2 in ps3 boxes, a ream of paper in a laptop box. and Diablo 3 games saying that cd wouldn't read... most of this happens during holidays but alot of it goes by because of walmarts (we welcome fraud) mentality, hell someone bought a cart full of dollar tree OJ and returned it to OUR store for what ever profit...

I've heard horror stories of people buying a console/game and not finding anything/something else inside the box.

The worst part is the store can think the victim is just trying to scam them.

It's really sad people do this kind of stuff, they get what they want for the moment but we all lose. Hopefully some will turn around.

I never buy products like this at any retail store. I would have to get it online or from some gaming store that focuses on gaming alone. 

bread's done
Back