Really Hating the COD Franchise

beetlegum

CAGiversary!
COD is the most successful video game franchise.  The games are fun and well produced.

And I loathe them..

Not the game themselves, but the COD effect on video games.   Correct me if I'm wrong here, but it appears that 2013 will be the first year where COD has completely chased off all of the holiday competition.  After next week, (not counting next gen which has weak lineups anyways),  that's it.  COD for the rest of the year.  Not another big AAA title in November or December.  Watchdogs was going to be the other big time, and suddenly they decide the game needs more polish right up to publishing time? 

By contrast, look at 2007 which was the year before the COD effect really took place:

Nov 5 - COD 4

Nov 6 - Lego Star Wars Complete

Nov. 14 - Need for Speed and Kane n Lynch (this game was quite hyped before release)

Nov. 16 - Assassin's Creed

Nov. 20 - Mass Effect and Rock Band

That is just 360 alone.  Plenty of gaming goodness there.  But now, COD and that's all folks.  And once again, the gaming publishers will be dumping a ton of tiles in the spring.  Titles that should have came out this time of year.  

Thank you COD for sucking out a lot of the holiday excitement for me.

I swore that i was done with this series last year whenI I spent $100 on the disc and season pass in 5-10 minutes after doing the same 1 year before. Now activision says "people who play COD everyday are not real gamers" well, I do play other games f you very much. Ill buy ghosts but I'm not going to play as much as I played mw2, Back when cod was cool. All started going downhill at black ops for me, mw3 was so/so and black ops 2... Wtf. I hope that ghosts gets back to its roots and just not another rushed, coughed up furball on the carpet of my gamertag/collection.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Wii U has plenty of great non-FPS titles throughout the holidays.  The other consoles are a Call of BattleBro wasteland though, except for Black Flag I guess.

I've been on the COD train since Modern Warfare 2 but I'm just bored at this point.  Same with the Battlefield series.

Personally I loathe the community a hell of a lot more than the franchise's iron fisted influence on the industry overall.  Especially now that Gears is absolute garbage thus forcing my hand when it comes to options because Halo does nothing for me.

robot-playing-violin.gif

I keep hoping to see new types games and yes there is alot of shooters out now that do just that but It is more of a question of game developer making a profit them, then taking a risk. I myselk am gulty of playing some shooters hoping for a enriched playing experience. Eventhough this is what is in now dose not mean there are not other types of games to enjoy. good hunting

I know how you feel man. COD is a powerhouse that wont go away for a long time. I personally am a fan of the series, but I have gotten annoyed with them quite a bit in my time, and have always considered dropping it completely and never getting another COD. I wasn't going to get Black Ops 2 this year, but when I see all of my friends online playing it, I always jump to get a copy. 

I later traded my copy of Black Ops 2 for Skyrim. I wont be able to get GHOSTS this year, because college is priority and I still need to pay off books. 

They haven't really chased off the competition, it's that 2013 is a transition year. It's the start of a new gen, so developers really aren't putting all their time and effort into holiday blockbusters for current-gen. I'm guessing next year will be far better since PS4s and XB1s will have been out on the market for a year.

I don't mind that it exists, my feeling is I'll buy the games I want to play and other people can buy the games they want to play.

I won't be playing Ghosts, despite having playing and enjoyed the campaigns in every COD since Modern Warfare 1, since they're not continuing either the Captain Price or Alex Mason storylines, and they've given absolutely no indication that it's been replaced with anything interesting or worth knowing about. All I even know about the campaign is that it features a dog and looks boring. I realize it's a minority position to play the Call of Duty series for the story and characters :lol:, but if they're not even going to try to make the campaign look interesting, I don't know why I should care.

I don't like CoD because they, Activision, think they have the holy grail and so don't change near enough every year. It's still on the same engine - the Call of Duty games use the Quake 3 Arena (id Tech 3) engine - , heavily modified, that they had when they started out and they have the same gameplay as before! CoD campaigns have always been big Hollywood blockbuster kind of things and yes we know mulitplayer is the main course but yeah their campaigns have to be good too. Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2's campaigns were excellent.

Ryu, I guess you haven't seen the single player trailer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SumIZb6qMJw

Looks good but I've played all of that before and yeah I don't understand adding the dog as a big 1up. Meanwhile DICE in Battlefield continues to innovate and build new more chaotically awesome destructible 3d engines. I'm not getting BF4 either though, they're falling into the same pit because of CoD and BF4's Beta felt a lot like just playing a beefed up BF3.

Well, let's see, there's mario 3d world, the new donkey kong country, the south park game (had to make sure you weren't just talking about shooters)

Non-triple A but really awesome games would be the adventure time game, Young Justice Invasion game, ratchet and clank into the nexus.  If you need more than this, you are a greedy greedy bastard.

I actually watched the single player trailer on the 360 today. My 5 year old daughter was in the room, her comment on the trailer was "Everything's on fire." I'm like, yeah, that about sums it up.

Personally I loathe the community a hell of a lot more than the franchise's iron fisted influence on the industry overall. Especially now that Gears is absolute garbage thus forcing my hand when it comes to options because Halo does nothing for me.
COD community is worse than Gears (more players -> more assholes to deal with). Only reason why I stick with Gears is because I can get in games. I had so much trouble connecting and staying in a game in mw2/3 that I only got to play around release/holiday/dlc release (not as bad as GoW2 issues). I also have some connections issues with Battlefield but can actually get into games unlike cod. Thing is matches can drag, and it has a steeper learning curve to become above average. Halo also has a steep curve and community is almost is bad as cod.

Thus I stick with Gears 3 where I get accused of host with mods despite joining matches and getting disconnects every 4-5 matches. that or running into 3-5 man teams in quick that brag how they're pros when they don't fuck up and win. GoWJ attracted way to many cod "clans"/kids, but at least I got a taste at how "good" I could be at cod if Activision knew how to develop good net code.

The only reason I buy COD now is because all my friends do. It's literally the only game that ALL of my friends have gotten come release time. Only other games they bought were Borderlands 2 (thankfully) and GTA IV+GTA V.

It use to be this way with Halo every year till Halo Anniversary came out. They skipped that and Halo 4.

Call of Duty is *THE* social game. I'm sure next gen things won't change.

COD community is worse than Gears (more players -> more assholes to deal with). Only reason why I stick with Gears is because I can get in games. I had so much trouble connecting and staying in a game in mw2/3 that I only got to play around release/holiday/dlc release (not as bad as GoW2 issues). I also have some connections issues with Battlefield but can actually get into games unlike cod. Thing is matches can drag, and it has a steeper learning curve to become above average. Halo also has a steep curve and community is almost is bad as cod.

Thus I stick with Gears 3 where I get accused of host with mods despite joining matches and getting disconnects every 4-5 matches. that or running into 3-5 man teams in quick that brag how they're pros when they don't fuck up and win. GoWJ attracted way to many cod "clans"/kids, but at least I got a taste at how "good" I could be at cod if Activision knew how to develop good net code.
Regardless of your reasons you still have my utmost respect and sympathy for sticking with Epic after the third game. Sadly the underlined statement is exactly one of the main driving forces behind me abandoning the franchise altogether. I knew GoWJ was going to be a complete catastrophe, but the fact that you've gotten a glimpse of how quickly your skill level could rise in completely different franchise by playing it is evidence enough my money is better spent elsewhere. The who, what and where however remains to be seen or even made for that matter. Hell... even the close quarter combat emphasis that fueled my love for GoW was a complete accident and look how quickly that was "corrected." I'm running out of options for my type of game in the current climate so I'm betting on the next two years to decide whether gaming is still for me.

The only reason I'm even giving Ghosts a fighting chance is because of the franchise's fantastic resale value. I'm barely taking a chance buying it at launch so regardless of how I feel about the community I have very little reason not to buy it. Even less of a risk is involved when you factor in a backlog on life support. Thankfully at least 2 - 3 game modes seem to have a decent amount of potential to be fun for me. There's also the highly underrated saving grace of a ridiculously huge community to essentially get lost in where your performance is far less scrutinized. It wasn't until I became a staple in smaller communities that I realize how much I took not receiving hate mail every other game from teary eyed emotionally fragile grown ass men who can't take a loss or celebrate every win like they won a f*cking MLG sponsorship for granted.

I enjoy competitive play and thoroughly enjoyed the league play, I haven't heard of any league type system implemented in CoD Ghost yet. I sure hope they do though I don't want to deal with GB/MLG to get some competitive games in.

Regardless of your reasons you still have my utmost respect and sympathy for sticking with Epic after the third game. Sadly the underlined statement is exactly one of the main driving forces behind me abandoning the franchise altogether. I knew GoWJ was going to be a complete catastrophe, but the fact that you've gotten a glimpse of how quickly your skill level could rise in completely different franchise by playing it is evidence enough my money is better spent elsewhere. The who, what and where however remains to be seen or even made for that matter. Hell... even the close quarter combat emphasis that fueled my love for GoW was a complete accident and look how quickly that was "corrected." I'm running out of options for my type of game in the current climate so I'm betting on the next two years to decide whether gaming is still for me.

The only reason I'm even giving Ghosts a fighting chance is because of the franchise's fantastic resale value. I'm barely taking a chance buying it at launch so regardless of how I feel about the community I have very little reason not to buy it. Even less of a risk is involved when you factor in a backlog on life support. Thankfully at least 2 - 3 game modes seem to have a decent amount of potential to be fun for me. There's also the highly underrated saving grace of a ridiculously huge community to essentially get lost in where your performance is far less scrutinized. It wasn't until I became a staple in smaller communities that I realize how much I took not receiving hate mail every other game from teary eyed emotionally fragile grown ass men who can't take a loss or celebrate every win like they won a f*cking MLG sponsorship for granted.
I think we played Gears3 a few times around launch; pretty sure your on my fl.

I stick with Gears3 (not Epic) for my semi competitive gaming fix since there's nothing else (could try going back to 2 as I like the mechanics better). I use to try MNC but the lag got worse once PC version (and MNC2) came out - now it's filled with 'pros' that spawn trap like hell. Every so often I jump into a tf2 game but there's so many host cheaters that class limit abuse.

The friends that play fps play on ps3 (very few have 360). Most gaming friends play on pc, and it's more hardcore stuff like LoL, SCII, etc. I had a group of Gears2 friends that I played with every few days until MW2 came out. Then they moved on to Blops/MW3/Blops2.

I still can't understand why Activision's coding is so bad! My setup is NOT optimal by any means.
My 360 is on the 2nd floor, and the router is in the basement lol. I have the old white wifi adapter as the built in wifi doesn't always find the networks. Internet is the same dsl non-N from 8 or so years ago as well.

Last Christmas, my cousin got Halo4 and Blops2. I took over for him in some free for all in Blops2 after a while. I went like 11-2 in under 10 minutes lol. Granted the other players might have been Christmas noobs (did see some prestiges). Setup was in basement with the fios router one floor above. Not sure if Treyarch handles netcode any differently than IW, but yeah COD series not much skill needed.

I won't be getting a next gen for a while. Hopefully games would implement a region/country matchmaking system to make things easier.

bread's done
Back