games of the generation

Wint3rSoldier

CAGiversary!
so with PS4 and the XBOX one on the way soon, Its got me thinking here in the last days of the current gen, lotta good memories..

I mean a whole lot, almost a decade's worth at this point. I mean Hitting up the Airport in Max Payne 3, the showdown with the joker baq in Arkham Asylum, running through Locust in Gears, hell....just enjoying the journey in Journey.

me and a few friends sit back an reminisce over the last gen on our podcast, hope yall check it out.

http://vsnarcadepodcast.podomatic.com/entry/2013-10-26T11_22_47-07_00

share a few memories and opinions here, let us know bc were doing a 4 part cast covering eveyrthing from Fav moments to best DLC to best character.

75_zpsd2c586f2.jpg

Definitely hard to make a definitive list as there were so many great games.

For me, it would be something along the lines of the following--but little certainty in order after the first three:

The Last of Us

Mass Effect Trilogy

Gears of War Trilogy

Bioshock series

Borderlands 2

Oblivion and Skyrim

Dragon Age Origins (also liked DA2 more than most)

Halo Reach (enjoyed 3 and 4 as well, but played Reach the most)

Call of Duty 4

Uncharted Trilogy

Zelda Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword

Super Mario Galaxy (never played the 2nd before ditching Wii)

Metroid Prime 3

Assassin's Creed 2

Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City

Fable 2

Bastion

Journey

Definitely hard to make a definitive list as there were so many great games.

For me, it would be something along the lines of the following--but little certainty in order after the first three:

The Last of Us

Mass Effect Trilogy

Gears of War Trilogy

Bioshock series

Borderlands 2

Oblivion and Skyrim

Dragon Age Origins (also liked DA2 more than most)

Halo Reach (enjoyed 3 and 4 as well, but played Reach the most)

Call of Duty 4

Uncharted Trilogy

Zelda Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword

Super Mario Galaxy (never played the 2nd before ditching Wii)

Metroid Prime 3

Assassin's Creed 2

Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City

Fable 2

Bastion

Journey
Here's my contribution to the list

Left4Dead series

Portal

Dead Space 1&2

Infamous series

Fallout series

Red Dead Redemption

GTA series

Geometry Wars series

Journey

Heavy Rain

Little Big Planet series

Limbo

Far Cry 3

The Walking Dead

Killzone series

Orange Box

World of Goo

Halo series

Forza series

God of War 3

Rock Band

Braid

Minecraft

Trials series

Ratchet and Clank series

Street Fighter IV

Fifa series

Super Meat Boy

Rayman Origins

Shadow Complex

P4G

Guacamelee

For best DLC, Minerva's Den for Bioshock 2 always comes to mind.

Some of my overall favorite games of the gen were:

Lone Survivor

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Braid

Fez

XCOM Enemy Unknown

Journey

Deadly Premonition

Portal

Metal Gear Rising

Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom

Hotline Miami

This is a difficult question. There are just so many options to choose from. This particular console cycle has lasted quite a bit longer than most. Throw in the developments in the PC space, and you are looking at an enormous number of high-quality games to sift through.

I will have to say Portal. That is one of the top titles in my all-time list, and it came out in this time frame. That is an easy pick for me to recommend for such a list. The rest of the titles I would nominate...I would have to go over my personal collection. And my personal collection of games from this cycle is quite large.

The list should look more like this:

DotA2

LoL

Starcraft 2

Street Fighter 4

This is the golden age of gaming and these four games and their communities paved the way for others to pursue the American dream of being a professional player.  Sure there were some great console games and many of them provided an experience that will remain unmatched for some time.  However, these four games did more to help gaming become recognized by the United States government as more than just a "game" but a chance to create a new lively hood that allows them to follow the dream of being better than someone else at a video game and get paid for it.  It is an international sport now and the main stage is always a spectacle.

When we look back at 2005-2013 and all the total number consoles sold from the big three, we will not talk about their success at driving gaming into the mainstream.  We will talk about how select individuals decided that gaming can be a lifestyle and being really good at video games does have its own rewards besides winning.

/edit: Honorable mentions:

Team Fortress 2 (the fact that players are getting paid for making in-games hats is astounding)

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (same as TF2, players are getting paid for their maps that they make)

Minecraft (needs no comment for what it has done to gaming)

Call of Duty (killing is a business and business is booming)

Skylanders (so powerful that Disney had to hop in and stop Activision from taking all the money)

Words with Friends (and everything else from Zynga, copying games is A-Okay as long as you payout to your investors)

Last edited by a moderator:
Twitch.tv should also be apart of this list too.  I shouldn't even have to explain why.

Will do a bigger list later, but if I'm forcing myself to just pick one, after factoring in time spent playing, money invested in content, and overall enjoyment, I'm going with Rock Band 3. It's fucking sick how many songs I have - yet there are plenty of people who have a song selection that puts mine to shame.

Personally, I'd say:

Halo 3

Gears of War 2

Modern Warfare 2

Skyrim

Twilight Princess

Uncharted 2

Street Fighter 4

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Metal Gear Solid 4

Borderlands

Mess Effect 2

Super Mario Galaxy

Bioshock

Last of Us

Portal

Grand Theft Auto V

Journey

Assassin's Creed 2

+1 for any Elder Scrolls, Fallout or Bioshock related mentions as those are currently the only franchises that matter to me.

Mass Effect series

Uncharted series

Borderlands series

Final Fantasy XIII

Gears of War series

Dead Space

Saints Row 3 and 4

Dragon Age series

Portal series

BioShock 2

These are just the games I enjoyed the most in this generation that I can see myself playing again:

Mass Effect 2

Mass Effect 3

Borderlands 2

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

World of Warcraft 

Red Dead Redemption

Eternal Sonata

Lost Odyssey

Fallout 3
Borderlands series
Mass Effect series
The Last of Us
Tomb Raider
Bioshock 1 and Infinite
Batman: AA and AC
Portal series

No real order, but I would say that these are the games that did more to define this generation for me than any others, even if they're not "the best" in quantitative overall terms: 

Uncharted 2 

Bioshock 

Flower/Journey (glad to see Journey game get some love) 

Last of Us 

Gears of War 

Radiant Historia 

Xenoblade 

Mass Effect (yes, the first, and only the first) 

Modern Warfare 

Portal 

Zelda: Skyward Sword 

Some of my Favorites:

Call of Duty 4

Assassin's Creed (1)

Bioshock (1)

Alan Wake

Elder Scrolls Skyrim

Condemned (1) - I LOVE scary games

Halo 3

Left for Dead (1)

GTA 5

Portal

Uncharted

1. Skyrim

2. GTAV

3. Portal 2

4. Bioshock

5. The Last of Us

Honorable mentions to Fallout 3, Uncharted 2 and 3, Mass Effect, and Red Dead Redemption.  I will remember this generation by the many great open world games that all seemed to borrow similar traits that peaked with Skyrim and GTAV. 

Slow motion "focus" was in every game and it seems RPG elements and XP is also present no matter what title you pop in.  The same can also be said for DLC of course, and I'm sure many or these trends will not be stopping with next gen.  I hope we see just as much innovation next gen from Sony as we did this gen.  We got titles like Journey, Heavy Rain/Beyond, and Little Big Planet and I hope we see more genre breaking titles in the future.    

bread's done
Back