XCOM: Enemy Within - PS3 version $29.99 pre-order at Target

etcrane

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
Noticed the Target website lists the new XCOM expansion - Enemy Within for $29.99 for the PS3 pre-order.

http://www.target.com/p/xcom-enemy-within-playstation-3/-/A-14545152#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=xcom+enemy

The PS3 edition is the expansion PLUS the original game and normally retails for $39.99. The 360 version is currently $39.99.

It's also worth noting this is being released during the B2G1 free sale at Target, so you might try getting it for $29.99 plus two other games if the web price doesn't update.

Does anyone know if Target pre-order takes the money (if using PayPal), or charges your card (if using credit card) immediately, or do they wait until they ship it (similar to how Amazon does) ?

Thanks

I'm also hoping this price holds till release. I was going to get this with the new Ratchet game and some sort of filler for the B2G1 sale that will be going on.

On a related note, is this game meant to replace Enemy Unknown? Is there any sense in holding on to the first game or should I trade now to try and maximize profit?

I'm also hoping this price holds till release. I was going to get this with the new Ratchet game and some sort of filler for the B2G1 sale that will be going on.

On a related note, is this game meant to replace Enemy Unknown? Is there any sense in holding on to the first game or should I trade now to try and maximize profit?
Trade in or sell Enemy Unknown--Enemy Within comes with both EU and the new expansion pack, so the standalone EU will become worthless eventually.

Trade in or sell Enemy Unknown--Enemy Within comes with both EU and the new expansion pack, so the standalone EU will become worthless eventually.
So you would be able to play the game without the changes made in EW? And do you knwo if it comes with the Slingshot DLC for EU? If not will it be compatible with the DLC for those who already own it? It didn't amount to more than one mission/squadmate, but I'd still like to have it. Sorry for bombarding you with questions, BTW.

Edit: Nevermind, I just googled and saw that it does include the DLC. Still not sure if you can opt to play the game as it was originally without the new classes and whatnot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't do that if you ever want to play the original EU campaign again (on consoles anyway, it's a non-issue for PC). While EW technically *does* contain the entire EU game, there's no way to play through the original campaign without the additions of the EW expansion. For example, if you just want to play the vanilla Enemy Unknown campaign, without the 'mech suits' and the energy containers and new enemies, you cannot do so on console versions of Enemy Within. If you have EW on PC then you can roll back to the vanilla EU campaign no problem.

This confused the shit out of me when I first heard about it, so I researched it fairly heavily. I've confirmed the info from 2 sources:

1) From 2K Games Community Manager Ga1Friday, on the XCOM Enemy Within FAQ @ 2kgames.com forums (LINK HERE):

Can the console version play EU separately without EW?

The base game experience of XCOM: Enemy Unknown cannot be played using the XCOM: Enemy Within Commander Edition disc. The XCOM: Enemy Within Commander Edition allows gamers to play the ultimate XCOM experience. It enables gamers to play using all previously released DLC; the Elite Soldier Pack and Slingshot Content Pack, and the Second Wave content from XCOM: Enemy Unknown, along with the additions that come with XCOM: Enemy Within.

2) On the Giant Bomb Quick Look EX for XCOM: Enemy Within (LINK HERE) Anand Gupta, the dev/project lead for the game, is asked the same question about "rolling back to the vanilla campaign" by Vinny of Giant Bomb, and confirms that you cannot do this on consoles, only on PC. [the quote is somewhere in the first 10 minutes of the video, sorry I can't watch it right now to tell you exact time]

Kind of a bummer, I was planning on selling my copy of EU to offset some of the $40 cost of the new expansion, but that's out now. Oh well, I'll just wait for a price drop on Enemy Within. Hope this info helps answer your question.

Don't do that if you ever want to play the original EU campaign again (on consoles anyway, it's a non-issue for PC). While EW technically *does* contain the entire EU game, there's no way to play through the original campaign without the additions of the EW expansion. For example, if you just want to play the vanilla Enemy Unknown campaign, without the 'mech suits' and the energy containers and new enemies, you cannot do so on console versions of Enemy Within. If you have EW on PC then you can roll back to the vanilla EU campaign no problem.

This confused the shit out of me when I first heard about it, so I researched it fairly heavily. I've confirmed the info from 2 sources:

1) From 2K Games Community Manager Ga1Friday, on the XCOM Enemy Within FAQ @ 2kgames.com forums (LINK HERE):

2) On the Giant Bomb Quick Look EX for XCOM: Enemy Within (LINK HERE) Anand Gupta, the dev/project lead for the game, is asked the same question about "rolling back to the vanilla campaign" by Vinny of Giant Bomb, and confirms that you cannot do this on consoles, only on PC. [the quote is somewhere in the first 10 minutes of the video, sorry I can't watch it right now to tell you exact time]

Kind of a bummer, I was planning on selling my copy of EU to offset some of the $40 cost of the new expansion, but that's out now. Oh well, I'll just wait for a price drop on Enemy Within. Hope this info helps answer your question.
Thanks man. That's exactly what I was wondering. Not a huge loss since I think this is trading in for like $7 at Gamestop, but it seems like it could have been a simple for them to keep the original campaign in there.

I apologize for my ignorance, but do the additions of Enemy Within to EU's campaign make it worse in some way? Is there some reason why the EU vanilla campaign would be better--possibly that it would be made easier through Enemy Within?

I apologize for my ignorance, but do the additions of Enemy Within to EU's campaign make it worse in some way? Is there some reason why the EU vanilla campaign would be better--possibly that it would be made easier through Enemy Within?
No, not at all. Some folks just might want to do a run through the original campaign sometime. Or maybe you want to play multiplayer with a friend who doesn't have the expansion (the two versions of the game are not compatible for multiplayer). I would just advise anyone who already has the original Enemy Unknown to hang onto it until they are certain that they no longer need it.

Also, the advertisements for the new expansion have been sort of confusing. So I just wanted to help straighten things out for folks who had the same questions I did, info on the subject wasn't as easily available as normal.

EDIT: Also, no need to apologize, as it wasn't ignorant to think otherwise. The advertising is... I don't want to say misleading, but it's not very clear. While the expansion technically does contain everything from the original game, there's just no way to access *just* the original, without the added stuff, if someone would wish to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:

Urgh, I already traded in my vanilla EU a month ago since I didn't know that the EW additions would be integrated into the on-disk EU without a toggle-on/off option.

Oh well...

bread's done
Back