Resonance of Fate (Xbox 360) $9.99 + $2.28 shipping @ GoHastings

whitereflection

CAGiversary!
Feedback
67 (100%)
http://www.gohastings.com/product/GAME/Resonance-of-Fate/sku/278926284.uts

Be advised that new games from GoHastings may not be sealed. The current free shipping coupon "homeytheclown" does not work on this. There's also a 30% off used promotion with code "homeydontplaydat".

They've also lowered it to $9.99 on their Amazon listing, but shipping is $3.99 per the norm there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great game if you like new takes on traditional RPGs.  The combat system is one of the best I've played (from someone who dislikes action combat--this is more traditional but different).

I really liked it, but I guess I have weird tastes.  Nier was not good, and I am not looking forward to Drakengard 3 or whatever it is.

I liked it too. The combat is confusing at first but gets interesting as you learn stuff and it is the core of the game, which is fun. The story is pretty much non-existent until the later part of the game.

Nolan North killing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVibNKrp8sQ

Nier was good too. Story gets more interesting after replay with different endings (4 total I remember). Combat is just okay, but has a few interesting twists. Music is top-notch (I cannot stress this enough)

I platinumed both games and they are worth their money.

I'm real finicky about action combat (i.e. I don't like it), so that's what turned me off about Nier.  Resonance is kind of actiony combat, but... different.  It just felt more like an RPG combat system to me than, say, Tales (which I want so badly to like but never can seem to).

Anyway for $13 or whatever, it's worth a shot.  I don't think this game sold well, which is a shame.

I'm real finicky about action combat (i.e. I don't like it), so that's what turned me off about Nier. Resonance is kind of actiony combat, but... different. It just felt more like an RPG combat system to me than, say, Tales (which I want so badly to like but never can seem to).

Anyway for $13 or whatever, it's worth a shot. I don't think this game sold well, which is a shame.
I guess Nier combat could be actually worse than regular action combat due to its addition of bullet-hell mechanic, and different perspective things. Interesting twists which certainly can turn people off.

To me Resonance is heavy-strategy action combat. Once the plan works, beautiful. When the plan fails, pretty much restart of the combat.

I really liked the both games though. Great attempts at traditional RPGs. Yes, it's a shame that they didn't sell well.

To echo what others have said, Resonance of Fate has a pretty unique take on turn based RPG and while the learning curve is a little high, it's pretty rewarding when your strategy works out and you blow your enemies to pieces. It is kind of repetitive though.

Also if you like customizing your characters with different clothes, Resonance of Fate has a really extensive wardrobe for all 3 characters, and best of all there's no DLC. You actually input cheat codes to unlock bonus costumes, I think it's the first game I've played this gen that actually utilized cheat codes to unlock stuff.

Great attempts at traditional RPGs. Yes, it's a shame that they didn't sell well.
I have no idea what Sega USA was thinking when they decided to release the game at the same time as FFXIII.

I have no idea what Sega USA was thinking when they decided to release the game at the same time as FFXIII.
I'm surprised they released it here at all.

To continue beating a dead horse (awful phrase), I think I actually prefer it to FFXIII. I did like XIII, despite itself, and I like Resonance in spite of itself. If that makes sense at all. It probably doesn't. If we mixed the two games, I think it would result in a pretty neat one. :)

Also if you like customizing your characters with different clothes, Resonance of Fate has a really extensive wardrobe for all 3 characters, and best of all there's no DLC. You actually input cheat codes to unlock bonus costumes, I think it's the first game I've played this gen that actually utilized cheat codes to unlock stuff.

Yeah, code unlocks are pretty rare. The only other recent game I know of that does that is E.X. Troopers which has a bunch of costumes and items you can unlock with codes.

Last edited by a moderator:
XIII is a turd.

Resonance of Fate isn't the best thing I've ever played, and it's grindy as fucking hell after the midpoint in the game, but it's pretty damn original in its battle system and customization. Dungeons are awful, though. They're all just the same grey corridors devoid of any originality or substance. Just like FF XIII.

XIII is a turd.

Resonance of Fate isn't the best thing I've ever played, and it's grindy as fucking hell after the midpoint in the game, but it's pretty damn original in its battle system and customization. Dungeons are awful, though. They're all just the same grey corridors devoid of any originality or substance. Just like FF XIII.
This has really been the generation of boring dungeons. I don't know if it's something to do with low budgets or what, but holy crap. Even Persona 3 and 4 (I know, PS2 is not "this generation," but the games were), which were some of the most fun I've had with video games in my entire life, had randomly-generated dungeons. At least random dungeons have an excuse for being boring, but come on, FF XIII? With it's massive budget, they couldn't pay someone 30,000 yen to spend a week making dungeons that are more than corridors of respawning battles going to the next cutscene? ****ing hell. Felt like I was playing Kingdom Hearts II again. Level design has died. I blame Tetsuya Nomura. I don't care whether it's his fault or not. He's destroyed everything I love. KH 1 had great level design. KH II was the pinnacle of its lack. At least FF XIII wasn't a button-masher like KH II was and FF XV likely will be.

Okay, sorry, just had to get all that out. Felt nice. Dear Square Enix, I h8 u I luv 8 I h8 u (scrawl on notebook paper, stabbed with pen, taken by the teacher and read to the classroom)

this was a mediorce game, but you could do worse for $13... like nier. that game was trash
It can't be worse than Last Remnant.

Resonance of Fate has a learning curve and they throw it at you very early on just be aware of that. It's not one of those types of games were they only give you the basic stuff off the bat at the beginning and progressively give you move advance things as you play along. Right at the beginning they'll have you do coordinated team attacks like Tri Attack, it's not terribly complex but the tutorial/instructions on how to do it are terrible on explaining it. Most people I know who have played it wasted alot of time figuring it out when a simple instruction telling you that you line up your teammates in a triangle shape that connects with each others lines would have saved people alot of frustration. The instructions and tutorials within the game are atrocious, you'll find better explanations on Youtube sadly.

bread's done
Back