* * * * * 20 votes

Humble Bundle Thread

Humble Bundle Humble bundle steam indie bundle pc mac linux drm-free

#31201 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10407 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 23 April 2018 - 11:39 PM

DAO is basically a modern-day 3D CRPG like the BG series, minus the D&D license, and also using dark-fantasy themes (instead of more traditional D&D fantasy).

You crazy, crazy person.  DA:O is about as stock classic High Fantasy as it gets.

#31202 MysterD   37 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   23465 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:11 AM

DA:O is about as stock classic High Fantasy as it gets.

The blood, the gore, the violence, the rituals, the horror, the dark themes - a lot of this screams of dark fantasy.

BG series feel like it's aiming more towards High Fantasy, TBH.

Bing Rewards - Referral Link

Motoki: If you were MysterD you would wait for a 75% off sale. And tell everyone about it. Repeatedly. 

MysterD: We don't play games on CAG; we backlog 'em. No wonder we have no time to play games! All we do is keep buying games; run games idly for cards; keep backlogging games; & talk about games on CAG Forums + gaming forums like it.

#31203 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10407 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:42 AM

Nah.  Ancient evil threatening the kingdom, magic, renamed orcs and goblins, Good vs Evil, yadda yadda... it's basic High Fantasy 101.

Dark fantasy is usually horror themed or just deep into grimdark territory.  DA:O is just regular ole swords and sorcery.

#31204 rcsample   You're entering a world of pain! CAGiversary!   4173 Posts   Joined 4.9 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:52 AM

The blood, the gore, the violence, the rituals, the horror, the dark themes - a lot of this screams of dark fantasy.

We're not talking about an evening with fox's mom, we're talking about video games, stay on topic.

#31205 hal   Game Hoarder CAGiversary!   5606 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 01:38 AM

I got distracted by the TV for a bit and when I came back I thought I was reading the Steam thread, only I realized it was way better. :beer:

Then I got depressed when I remembered I still had to go read the Steam thread.

#31206 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   3854 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:46 AM

DAO is basically a modern-day 3D CRPG like the BG series, minus the D&D license, and also somehow even more generic than traditional D&D-style fantasy.

Fixed.

You crazy, crazy person.  DA:O is about as stock classic High Fantasy as it gets.

Eh, I wouldn't go that far. It doesn't succeed very well, but it certainly TRIES to be stupid grimdark. It tries hard, and it tries all over itself.

"No, seriously, [INSERT PLAYER NAME HERE], you should do this super petty thing that we're going to call evil for the sake of pretending we have some moral ambiguity even though all it'll do is mechanically gimp you and probably alienate half your party members because they're all whiny bitches but will otherwise barely affect the main story until the epilogue."

You couldn't help noting with every breath that thousands of other people were very close to you and nearly all of them had armpits.

#31207 Neuro5i5   pʎslǝxıɔ CAGiversary!   10314 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 01:39 PM

PEDvnxR.gif

Sleed neep.

#31208 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10407 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 24 April 2018 - 01:40 PM

Punishing idiot characters for doing arbitrarily evil stuff just for the sake of doing dumb shit is the very root of D&D.

"As you sit at the table, the baron pours each of you a glass of brandy from a small cask on the table..."

"I dump my brandy on the table, use my mace to smash the cask and throw one of the candles on it to set the table ablaze"

"What?  Why?

"I'm Chaotic Evil!!!!!!!!!!"

Not really all that different from "I take the holy relic we've been questing a third of the game for and break it on the floor and piss on it because LOLevil"

Anyway, all that aside, I wasn't really suggesting that you set the combat on Easy because it's too hard, Mr. Sample, I was just thinking that if it's your least favorite part of the game at least it's also the most easily blown through.

#31209 rcsample   You're entering a world of pain! CAGiversary!   4173 Posts   Joined 4.9 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 01:58 PM

Anyway, all that aside, I wasn't really suggesting that you set the combat on Easy because it's too hard, Mr. Sample, I was just thinking that if it's your least favorite part of the game at least it's also the most easily blown through.

YES YOU WERE, YOU WERE IMPUGNING MY PLAYING ABILITY AND MY MANHOOD!!!

<Takes candle off table and sets bartender ablaze, followed by running the serving wench through....he then jumps out a window screaming "I'm not Evil, I'm a MURDERHOBO!!!!!!>

#31210 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   5151 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 24 April 2018 - 02:57 PM

I was on console when I played it and I dropped the difficulty down to easy as it was pretty easy to tell that the game design was done with only PC in mind. Which was true. DA:O was only coming out on PC till EA bought Bioware. (EA "requested" a console port to start trying to make money back on their deal... Which now that I think about. They'll likely never break even on that deal.)

Anyhow, combat was pretty brutal and clunky on controller. And like I've said before... I've never viewed Bioware games as something I play for game play. The mechanics are always just a means to an end. And in Bioware's case it's the story.

Dragon Age is not the typical high fantasy of D&D. It's darker but not with horror but a high emphasis on opression, slavery, and well other dark stuff that would be spoilers.

Also not truly generic... It's got all the normal stuff you expect but changed up enough to stand on its own.

Lastly, and really the only part directed at syntax, both of your D&D alignment examples would fall under chaotic neutral.

#31211 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10407 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 24 April 2018 - 04:28 PM

Both would fall under "Chaotic Stupid"; an all too common alignment type   :lol:

Also, don't get me wrong.  I love DA:O.  Each time it comes up I have to talk myself out of starting another game because I'll spend another 70 hours on it.  But it really is stock High Fantasy stuff.  Dragonlance had the whole slaves and half-elves as second class citizens and all that (including dwarf castes).  AD&D had slavery in numerous campaigns (most notably, Scourge of the Slave Lords, go figure).  In DA:O you have elves living in a human city ghetto, in DL the displaced wood elves live in hobo-slums in the high elf city.  The whole "untrusted mages required to belong to a regulatory organization" is again straight out of Dragonlance with its towers and renegade mages.  I'll note here that Dragonlance itself was literally an AD&D game written down and fleshed out a bit in narrative.

Ancient evil wakes up, only a select hero can stop it.  Round up a band of racially diverse (in a fantasy sense) characters to go adventuring, killing a bunch of goblin and orc stand-ins and exploring ruins and dungeons until you're ready to fight the dragon.  You can do nominally evil stuff but it's pretty much always detrimental to your end goal because there's a clear Good vs Evil paradigm going.  Enthusiastically noble knight, gruff dwarf, shady wizard, wise cleric and other standard tropes abound.  Add in a deposed king for flavor.

DA:O is impressive in that it manages to tell an interesting story with interesting characters despite being really generic stuff.  But it wasn't testing any new boundaries in the world of fantasy.  It's pretty much a classic AD&D campaign with a slightly different rule set.

#31212 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   3854 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 04:55 PM

DA:O is impressive in that it manages to tell an interesting story with interesting characters

Agree to disagree.

You couldn't help noting with every breath that thousands of other people were very close to you and nearly all of them had armpits.

#31213 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10407 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:14 PM

Agree to disagree.

It's okay if you want to hate because enough other people will join me in love.  :grouphug:

#31214 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   5151 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:33 PM

DA:O is impressive in that it manages to tell an interesting story with interesting characters despite being really generic stuff.  But it wasn't testing any new boundaries in the world of fantasy.  It's pretty much a classic AD&D campaign with a slightly different rule set.

In a sense that's what it really was set out to do. It was designed to be a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Good point on the Dragonlance comparisons, I view it as different but can see why others don't. It's all variations on the same, or nearly same, set of themes. Maybe I've read too much fantasy cap in my life to view as being a cut above generic? (The crazy thing is I don't think I could make it through a fantasy novel now, let alone a series, to save my life.)

As for trying to avoid the trap of a 70 hour run through... I understand it. 70 hours would likely take me a month and a half to two months to get through so that's a horrible idea... I haven't played the Witcher games but I feel DAO does more with your decision than other game. It's what ME was suppose to be over 3 games.

(I fully realize that the Witcher might do it all better, which is why I listed that I've never played them.)

Chaotic Stupid, I don't temember which DMG it was added, or if they kept the suggestion in future rules, but I can remember reading about how it was suggested that no player characters be chaotic neutral do to their unpredictable nature and how they could (and rightfully so) Fuck up the DM's plans.

#31215 Blade   Imminently Punchable CAGiversary!   13715 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:48 PM

When they dislike DA:O and you have to set them straight

tenor.gif

#31216 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10407 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:58 PM

(I fully realize that the Witcher might do it all better, which is why I listed that I've never played them.)

Chaotic Stupid, I don't temember which DMG it was added, or if they kept the suggestion in future rules, but I can remember reading about how it was suggested that no player characters be chaotic neutral do to their unpredictable nature and how they could (and rightfully so) Fuck up the DM's plans.

Witcher would be a much better example of dark fantasy.  Both in moral ambiguity and because it just fucks with you.  In DA:O you have  possessed kid and want to find a way to save him and his mother and rescue his father from a coma.  The obvious Best Solution ends with the kid and mother alive and dad waking up to assist you.  In The Witcher, you'd drive the demon out of the kid and find out that the demon was actually the only thing keeping the psychopathic boy from murdering his father.  Then you'd bang his mom because of course you would.

Chaotic neutral ideology can be "intelligently" played without much trouble:

Chaos Emphasis: The ability to make your own choices without oppression my law or regulation is paramount and "good" or "evil" are only tools to be used as needed to ensure that freedom is achieved. 

Neutrality emphasis: The balance between good and evil is best achieved by providing each creature with the freedom and liberty to make their own choices.  When each can do as their nature leads, the balance between good and evil will work itself out naturally.

The issue is that too many people use it as "I'm zany and do craaaaaaazzzzzy stuff randomly because lol chaotic neutral!"

When they dislike DA:O and you have to set them straight

No, this is about the classification of DA:O on the fantasy spectrum.  Much, much nerdier than you imply.

#31217 realbigexplosion   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1473 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

realbigexplosion

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:02 PM

Was kind of hoping there'd be a Dragon Age bundle to make this conversation relevant, but we got Humble Capcom x Sega Playstation Bundle. Worth noting that everything unlocks with a single key.

PWYW:

Dead Rising - PS4

Dustforce - PSVita

Crazy Taxi - PS3

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz - PSVita

BTA:

Resident Evil HD REMASTER - PS4

Mega Man Legacy Collection - PS4

Resident Evil: Code Veronica X - PS4

Sonic Generation - PS3

Binary Domain - PS3

Alien: Isolation - PS4

$15:

Dead Rising 2 - PS4

Vakyria Chronicles Remasterd - PS4

Bizarre that you get credit if you have a monthly subscription at the highest tier here, but not for the Strategy bundle.

Currently Playing:  Games

#31218 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10407 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:02 PM

Also, OMG NEW HUMBLE BUNDLE!!!!!!

If you own a Playstation.

#31219 Tsel   The Dark Knight CAGiversary!   7543 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:03 PM

$6 bundle is pretty good.

752200.png
76561198023514531.png

#31220 Dranakin   Member Since Oct 2003 CAGiversary!   2591 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:07 PM

Hmmmmm, want VC1 for the PS4 since it's cheaper than buying used from GS, but already have it for the PC.

The other games are eh for me, but since they'd come with the $15 tier, it'd be a bonus.

#31221 Blade   Imminently Punchable CAGiversary!   13715 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:07 PM

Humble Capcom X SEGA Playstation Bundle

$1

• PS4 - Dead Rising
  • PS Vita - Dustforce
  • PS3 - Crazy Taxi
  • PS Vita - Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz

BTA

• PS4 - Resident Evil HD Remaster
  • PS4 - Mega Man Legacy Collection
  • PS4 - Resident Evil Code Veronica X
  • PS3 - Sonic Generations
  • PS3 - Binary Domain
  • PS4 - Alien: Isolation

$15

• PS4 - Dead Rising 2
  • PS4 - Valkyria Chronicles Remastered
  • $2 Humble Wallet for monthly subscribers

Mostly games from previous generations upscaled to new systems. Don't buy it on principle alone.

#31222 madjoki   Hey, y no wen free!? CAGiversary!   5195 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:08 PM

$6 bundle is pretty good.

and live in murica. two things you don't want to. :P

#31223 baboonfreak   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1061 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

baboonfreak

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:13 PM

BTA already up to $10. $6 for it was a steal.

#31224 Kain   Dragoon CAGiversary!   831 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:32 PM

Am I to assume Alien Isolation is only the base game; not the collection?

Last Six Years of Completed Games: 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018.

#31225 KeeperOfWind  

KeeperOfWind

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:48 PM

Code Veronica X is the only game I actually need along with RE2

zNmz5OX.jpg

#31226 Blade   Imminently Punchable CAGiversary!   13715 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:51 PM

Am I to assume Alien Isolation is only the base game; not the collection?

Just the base game. Do you not own it on PS3 or Steam yet? Because graphics will always improve, so you can get it for PS5 and PS6 and whatever else the apologists justify for rebuying the same games over and over. Maybe you can even be Ripley via the neural network on PS8. The possibilities are endless when you encourage companies to rehash old games for new systems. Can't wait to be playing Crazy Taxi on my Spielberg machine in a dystopian future.

#31227 ritchardf  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:56 PM

Just the base game. Do you not own it on PS3 or Steam yet? Because graphics will always improve, so you can get it for PS5 and PS6 and whatever else the apologists justify for rebuying the same games over and over. Maybe you can even be Ripley via the neural network on PS8. The possibilities are endless when you encourage companies to rehash old games for new systems. Can't wait to be playing Crazy Taxi on my Spielberg machine in a dystopian future.

there is also a thread just for that humble bundle, in case you wanted to rant in another thread.

#31228 Blade   Imminently Punchable CAGiversary!   13715 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:03 PM

there is also a thread just for that humble bundle, in case you wanted to rant in another thread.

Thanks, on it.

Now to wait for the arguments about how it's always a good thing to buy 4 ports of RE1 from consumerism apologists that I won't read.

#31229 Kain   Dragoon CAGiversary!   831 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:04 PM

Just the base game. Do you not own it on PS3 or Steam yet?

Not really an Aliens fan, but heard it was supposed to be pretty scary.

Last Six Years of Completed Games: 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018.

#31230 arsenalcrazy8   As Cheap As Wenger. CAGiversary!   2019 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

arsenalcrazy8

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:04 PM

Nice, I paid the $15 for all those, I don’t usually buy any digital stuff so when these bundles are available I generally don’t have any of the stuff in them. Seems like a good deal for people like me I’d say.
Up the Gunners!!!!!
I am Cheap, therefore I buy Cheap.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Humble Bundle, Humble, bundle, steam, indie bundle, pc, mac, linux, drm-free