* * * * * 20 votes

Humble Bundle Thread

Humble Bundle Humble bundle steam indie bundle pc mac linux drm-free

#31711 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   3918 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:50 PM

Any other pocket-protector nerds in here who can tell me if I'll like the D&D comic bundle if I enjoy D&D (well, 3rd edition, anyway), have no investment in D&D literature, and find most comics pretty boring?

#31712 Blade   Imminently Punchable CAGiversary!   13840 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:49 PM

Any other pocket-protector nerds in here who can tell me if I'll like the D&D comic bundle if I enjoy D&D (well, 3rd edition, anyway), have no investment in D&D literature, and find most comics pretty boring?

Lots of comics about Baldur's Gate/IWD characters so you can probably play those games, if you haven't before. And if you have, you are probably a nerd who would like them.

#31713 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10553 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:54 PM

And comics about Drizz't which.... holy shit, Crystal Shard came out in 1988.  They've been beating that character into the ground for thirty damn years now.  Dorks have been born, gone to medical school and become fully licensed surgeons without ever knowing a world that didn't have "Hurr, well my character is a drow ranger with two scimitars and also a Figurine of Wonderous Power but this one is, like, a lion instead of a panther so it's totally different."

#31714 warreni   Eminently punchable CAGiversary!   5250 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:39 PM

For what it's worth, a few of these are repeats from other comic bundles. 

Also, if you read those Drizz't books, I don't see the point in buying a comic-book adaptation of them. I mean, I know R.A. Salvatore's running out of money, but you could just support his GoFundMe page or something. 

#31715 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10553 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 12 July 2018 - 04:20 PM

Buy some copies of Kingdom of Amalur!

#31716 warreni   Eminently punchable CAGiversary!   5250 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:22 PM

Buy some copies of Kingdom of Amalur!

I said R.A. Salvatore not Curt Shilling! Everybody knows he's broke!

#31717 Larry Davis   It's All Smooth Sailing From Here On Out CAGiversary!   2638 Posts   Joined 3.6 Years Ago  

Larry Davis

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:34 PM

the bundles are dyin', Cloud

#31718 Larry Davis   It's All Smooth Sailing From Here On Out CAGiversary!   2638 Posts   Joined 3.6 Years Ago  

Larry Davis

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:36 PM

For what it's worth, a few of these are repeats from other comic bundles. 

Also, if you read those Drizz't books, I don't see the point in buying a comic-book adaptation of them. I mean, I know R.A. Salvatore's running out of money, but you could just support his GoFundMe page or something. 

as someone who reads a lot of comix, sometimes licensed stuff like this can feature a creative team that's way too talented to be slumming it, and occasionally it's just a backdoor to tell whatever other story they wanted. For example, recently Garth Ennis wrote a fucking World of Tanks-branded book drawn by PJ Holden which was really just one of his solid war stories. Good reading despite the in-name-only tie-in.

but, uh. this is not one of those times.

#31719 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   3918 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:45 PM

And comics about Drizz't which.... holy shit, Crystal Shard came out in 1988.  They've been beating that character into the ground for thirty damn years now.  Dorks have been born, gone to medical school and become fully licensed surgeons without ever knowing a world that didn't have "Hurr, well my character is a drow ranger with two scimitars and also a Figurine of Wonderous Power but this one is, like, a lion instead of a panther so it's totally different."

Well I'm certainly not a licensed surgeon.

#31720 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10553 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:08 PM

Well I'm certainly not a licensed surgeon.

And you never will be, slumming around here.  Go apply yourself.

#31721 realbigexplosion   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1499 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

realbigexplosion

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:17 PM

but, uh. this is not one of those times.

I've heard the John Rogers (who wrote an excellent Blue Beetle run) stuff is pretty good.

I think I actually have some of it from an old bundle, not that I've actually read it yet.

#31722 Larry Davis   It's All Smooth Sailing From Here On Out CAGiversary!   2638 Posts   Joined 3.6 Years Ago  

Larry Davis

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:33 PM

I've heard the John Rogers (who wrote an excellent Blue Beetle run) stuff is pretty good.

I think I actually have some of it from an old bundle, not that I've actually read it yet.

I was not a fan of Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle. TED KORD 4 LIFE

#31723 realbigexplosion   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1499 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

realbigexplosion

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:12 PM

I was not a fan of Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle. TED KORD 4 LIFE

Larry Davis is an old white guy, confirmed.

I don't see how you can dislike Jaime aside from residual Kord feelings, though.  The guy's darkest desire is to become a dentist and make six figures.

#31724 Larry Davis   It's All Smooth Sailing From Here On Out CAGiversary!   2638 Posts   Joined 3.6 Years Ago  

Larry Davis

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:20 PM

Larry Davis is an old white guy, confirmed.

I don't see how you can dislike Jaime aside from residual Kord feelings, though.  The guy's darkest desire is to become a dentist and make six figures.

actually I've come around on him quite a bit since his introduction, but I didn't like that early stuff.

it's really just weird to me that DC hasn't brought Kord back, the two Beetles are different enough that it wouldn't be weird to have them both around. Look how many goddamn Green Lanterns are in the current books, after all.

#31725 Blade   Imminently Punchable CAGiversary!   13840 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:27 PM

the bundles are dyin', Cloud

They're too busy with IGN FGOTM. Also, inb4 they make a bundle of previous FGOTM games.

Those Final Fantasy sale prices are pretty bad, even with the extra discount. Why is FF9 only 30% off these days? And who's buying the shit remakes of 4-6?

#31726 realbigexplosion   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1499 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

realbigexplosion

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:33 PM

actually I've come around on him quite a bit since his introduction, but I didn't like that early stuff.

it's really just weird to me that DC hasn't brought Kord back, the two Beetles are different enough that it wouldn't be weird to have them both around. Look how many goddamn Green Lanterns are in the current books, after all.

Kord was in the Rebirth series, though not as Blue Beetle (at least in what I've read).  I have to imagine they will bring him back in the suit soon given that the Jaime books never seem to last.

#31727 Larry Davis   It's All Smooth Sailing From Here On Out CAGiversary!   2638 Posts   Joined 3.6 Years Ago  

Larry Davis

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:05 AM

Kord was in the Rebirth series, though not as Blue Beetle (at least in what I've read).  I have to imagine they will bring him back in the suit soon given that the Jaime books never seem to last.

Oh right, I forgot about that. I think they did a similar thing with Ray Palmer, where he's also retired as the Atom but is still around.

But hey, Cyborg books never last, doesn't stop them from constantly trying to make Cyborg a Thing.

#31728 rcsample   You're entering a world of pain! CAGiversary!   4242 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 02:02 AM

And who's buying the shit remakes of 4-6?

tenor.gif

#31729 Blade   Imminently Punchable CAGiversary!   13840 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 02:39 AM

tenor.gif

Bruh FF6 looks worse on Steam than on SNES, and that's not even the best version of the game. The GBA version (that you can emulate for free) has the PC translation and color palette, but with more dungeons and espers. PC iOS port battle screen looks like RPG Maker bundle fodder.

#31730 rcsample   You're entering a world of pain! CAGiversary!   4242 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:19 AM

Bruh FF6 looks worse on Steam than on SNES, and that's not even the best version of the game. The GBA version (that you can emulate for free) has the PC translation and color palette, but with more dungeons and espers. PC iOS port battle screen looks like RPG Maker bundle fodder.

https://www.youtube....h?v=ZevK81DgOWc

Your logic does not work on me! They both look the same in my backlog!!

tenor.gif

#31731 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   3918 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:15 PM

It's super weird that Squenix has been doing all these iOS and PC ports of their pre-PSX games over the last decade and for the most part the definitive versions of those games are still the GBA ports from like 20 years ago.

#31732 Yu Narukami  

Yu Narukami

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:46 PM

It's super weird that Squenix has been doing all these iOS and PC ports of their pre-PSX games over the last decade and for the most part the definitive versions of those games are still the GBA ports from like 20 years ago.

It's better than remaking the games into ARPG crap like that ARPG FF VII game they're making that literally nobody asked for.

#31733 agentghost   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5085 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 14 July 2018 - 12:45 AM

because Nintendo "c0ckbl0ck" them from using the "definitive" version when it comes to porting?  because the Switch needs portings more than any other platforms (i.e. go online and look at the comment under every single new game announcement --> "Switch port when?" ) :-  :shock:

#31734 Z-Saber   Dancing is about butts now CAGiversary!   5905 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 14 July 2018 - 04:48 AM

wut?

#31735 FoxAssGamer   Better Than You CAGiversary!   20288 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 14 July 2018 - 12:39 PM

This thread, huh?  Almost as bad as Groupees now.  Nintendo/Atari talk.  Final Fantasy remake talk.  Nerd talk.  Some bundle talk mixed in.  

#31736 MysterD   37 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   23650 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 14 July 2018 - 12:58 PM

Have any modder gone ahead & modded in the old sprites, done any graphical color mods, and/or worked any other magic to make FF6 Steam-version look like the old FF6 version yet?

Also, how's Chrono Trigger Steam-port been coming along? I know it's been officially being worked on to fix UI and some other stuff, but haven't been following it of late. Has it been improved of late?