* * * * - 37 votes

The Steam Deals Thread v10

steam steam deals cards steam cards gaben pc steambox

#18031 MrNinjaSquirrel   Emo Blogger CAGiversary!   12143 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

MrNinjaSquirrel

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:13 PM

My son's birth certificate came with a Magicka key.

You might want to check that your son isn't Magicka himself.

FTFY.  Last week was pretty good.  A lot of us bought Pool Nation and a smaller handful bought JASF.

Pool Nation, that game is good.

Really really good.

I look forward to eventually doing some online against you (hopefully) :bouncy:

#18032 Naked Snake Eyes   What would Snake do? CAGiversary!   6463 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Naked Snake Eyes

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:18 PM

My 5-year old Phenom II X3 720 BE CPU is pretty pegged while running FC3 as well... sure I'd like 60 FPS but with my current rig I sometime settle for less.  In FC3 I'm mostly stealthing around slowly in the grass so FPS doesn't make that much of a difference... visuals do.  I tried turning off 2x MSAA... ouch... that hurt my visuals a lot... I'm surprised how effective 2x MSAA is in FC3.  I tried adding on SweetFX, but didn't do it right and just make the game crash on boot.  I need to try it again, now that I know how I need to split up the SweetFX files for FC3.  (It's a little weird since the .exe isn't in the game's base-folder.)

I think SweetFX only works in that game on DX9.

#18033 cyrus386  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:18 PM

Ooh Syder Arcade is $2.50 (75%) on the weekly.  (Yeah I skipped the greenlightbundle and missed it on IGS.)

Wow, that looks awesome.  I hadn't heard of this game before, but I'll totally pick it up if it gets bundled again.

#18034 asheskitty  

asheskitty

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:20 PM

There's a demo of Syder Arcade on the dev's website.   270MB demo.

#18035 asheskitty  

asheskitty

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:35 PM

I think SweetFX only works in that game on DX9.

I ran across a custom build of SweetFX that claims to run on FC3 in DX11.

Also another through for me if I wanted a bit more FPS would be to change from my 24" 60Hz 1920x1200 display to my 22" 75Hz 1680x1050 display.  

I'm reading through this atm.  http://www.guru3d.co..._benchmark.html

Better: http://www.hardocp.c.../7#.Ut2OhRDTk-X

I didn't want to get bogged down with tweaking before I played any (I wasn't sure I'd like it... I'm not an FPS fan.)

I should also min-rez/settings drop it to check for CPU bottlenecks.

#18036 Foxhack   Bad Hombre CAGiversary!   8802 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:35 PM

Wow, that looks awesome.  I hadn't heard of this game before, but I'll totally pick it up if it gets bundled again.

I have a key but never activated it because of the ridiculous achievements. You have to get up to the top 15% in the leaderboards and that's just plain impossible with all the cheaters out there.

I hate games that add that sort of Fuck achievements. You want to reward players who have skill? Cool. But don't do it in a way that could potentially be impossible to do because of cheaters...

The dev mentioned the achievement may get tied to a weekly leaderboard... which would've been great. Except he didn't go for that. Bleh.

#18037 The Assembler  

The Assembler

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:13 PM

I have a key but never activated it because of the ridiculous achievements. You have to get up to the top 15% in the leaderboards and that's just plain impossible with all the cheaters out there.

I hate games that add that sort of Fuck achievements. You want to reward players who have skill? Cool. But don't do it in a way that could potentially be impossible to do because of cheaters...

The dev mentioned the achievement may get tied to a weekly leaderboard... which would've been great. Except he didn't go for that. Bleh.

Have you considered the idea that you can play the game and not try to get that achievement?

#18038 iSerra   With the new day comes new thoughts CAGiversary!   1110 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:13 PM

2 interesting greenlit games were selected as finalists at the 16th Annual Independent Games Festival.

Luxuria Superbia

SoundSelf

#18039 Yagami   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1202 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:15 PM

Have you considered the idea that you can play the game and not try to get that achievement?

What bullshit are you on.

#18040 Foxhack   Bad Hombre CAGiversary!   8802 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:25 PM

But what's the fun in that...? :P

I like achievements. Even some that are damn near impossible to get. But ones like that, which may not even be possible because of cheaters? No thank you.

#18041 asheskitty  

asheskitty

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:38 PM

There are two types of gamers: 'Chieve Maniacs & The Weak.

#18042 seamoss   CAGadversary! CAGiversary!   1932 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:40 PM

There are two types of gamers: 'Chieve Maniacs & The Weak.

I think you mispelled "Chievo maniacs & those with a life"...

...and yes, I see the yellow comic sans but I detest that font.

#18043 dfg   Impecunious Ass Gamer CAGiversary!   3132 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:58 PM

Achievements like that are a turn-off but not a deal-breaker. Crackers in bed and whatnot.

#18044 TrumpCat   knows more about being a cat than anyone, believe me CAGiversary!   4831 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:03 PM

Cheaters in a scrolling shmup? What will they think of next?

Maybe the top 15% in the leaderboards are there cos they're good at the game and have even installed it and played it a bit =P

#18045 Naked Snake Eyes   What would Snake do? CAGiversary!   6463 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Naked Snake Eyes

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:55 PM

That's weird, I've been 7zipping some game install folders for backup purposes and always get around 80% compression ratio. I just did Saboteur and got 60%. I guess that means the game itself is less compressed, that's good!

#18046 seamoss   CAGadversary! CAGiversary!   1932 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:05 PM

That's weird, I've been 7zipping some game install folders for backup purposes and always get around 80% compression ratio. I just did Saboteur and got 60%. I guess that means the game itself is less compressed, that's good!

Man, *there's* a random statement if I ever heard one...

#18047 pasports31   New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog CAGiversary!   8814 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:07 PM

You know what grinds my gears? When the pizza place fudges up my order. I ordered spicy sausage with pepperoni. They forgot the pepperoni and put on regular sausage. How Fuck 'ing hard is it to get a pizza order right?

#18048 Naked Snake Eyes   What would Snake do? CAGiversary!   6463 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Naked Snake Eyes

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:07 PM

Man, *there's* a random statement if I ever heard one...

Sorry, it was about PC games and there wasn't a ton of other conversation going on.

#18049 pasports31   New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog CAGiversary!   8814 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:09 PM

Sorry, it was about PC games and there wasn't a ton of other conversation going on.

its ok, i got you covered^

#18050 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   11115 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:10 PM

...and yes, I see the yellow comic sans but I detest that font.

I'm color blind.  Also, font blind.

#18051 osso1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   194 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:14 PM

There's a demo of Syder Arcade on the dev's website.   270MB demo.

After downloading Demo.This is a Buy for me

Thanks for the heads up

#18052 pantsattack   Grant Thrift Auto CAGiversary!   986 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

pantsattack

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:31 PM

Flying Bundle 5 is now live. 8 games for $3.

1. BasketBelle (Greenlight and Desura)
  2. Booster Trooper (Steam)
  3. CreaVures (Steam)
  4. Gish (Steam)
  5. Gravity Badgers (Steam and Desura)
  6. Hamlet or the Last Game without MMORPG Features, Shaders ... (Steam)
  7. POP: Methodology Experiment One (Greenlight and Desura)
  8. Mystery Game

Interested in Basketbelle's music generation.  Any extra keys out there?

#18053 MysterD   39 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   25704 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:36 PM

Hmmmm, I remember having mouse discussions recently.

Logitech G600 MMO White Mouse is in-store only at Fry's $49.99 w/ a Promo Code "1167833" (for cashier to input) this week (Jan 20-26th):

http://www.frys.com/...ign&date:012014

I ain't got a local Fry's nearby - but thought I'd point this out to you all, in case you got a nearby Fry's and in case you missed the e-mail w/ their deals.

#18054 TrumpCat   knows more about being a cat than anyone, believe me CAGiversary!   4831 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:45 PM

Syberia, Syberia 2 and Snyder Arcade are all published by Meridian 4 and all 75% off this week.

Upcoming Humble Weekly maybe?

#18055 spoderman  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:47 PM

Syberia, Syberia 2 and Snyder Arcade are all published by Meridian 4 and all 75% off this week.

Upcoming Humble Weekly maybe?

I don't know.. Meridian 4 games go on sale often and get bundled frequently.

#18056 icedragon15   Banned Banned   3450 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

icedragon15

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:45 PM

That was my plan too.  But considering how most shooters give me a headache and I think I have yet to play one through to completion on my Steam account I'm fine waiting.  Ashes, no motion-sickness with FC?

waht  shooter are so fun  and i complete so many fps games already crysis crysis warhead (3times easy 3 times normal)

fear(1) 3rd person shooter ( specs op the line an more ) section 8 prejedice 

#18057 Dreamweaver7   Valar Morghulis CAGiversary!   348 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Dreamweaver7

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:51 PM

Sharing my review of The Banner Saga (TBS):

I just finished TBS, the first game I've finished in 2014. Helps that it was short, I'm thinking no more than 6-8 hours of actual, non-experimentation, non-reloading last checkpoint play time. This is one of the games I Kickstarted back when that was a thing (meaning before I figured out that it really wasn't worth it). No regrets through, well worth the KS$.

The game looks and sounds great. The game universe, billed as a Viking fantasy, is competent. There's nothing groundbreaking about the story or characters, but they serve the purpose.

Gameplay is hit/miss. I'm a TBS (turn-based strategy of course) fan, but the oversimplified systems of TBS (The Banner Saga, of course) leave me wanting more options. Even the Gold Box TSR games had more combat choices than this. The initiative and action mechanisms leave a lot to be desired, as units don't have fixed speeds. It's always a he-goes-you-go deal, so if you mop up weak units early you're left with more powerful units acting more often. This leaves you with a counterintuitive strategy of weakening units without killing them. I'm also torn on the health-as-attack-power thing, but that much I can live with. Last glaring thing for me is the lack of any way to influence movement. Short of a couple of minor abilities that address threat, AI units can waltz around your melee units and go right for ranged. Nothing you can do to stop them.

The overland mechanisms are brutal, but if you've played King of Dragon Pass that's nothing new. The game has one currency, caller Renown, which is gained by killing enemies. Renown is used to level characters, buy items and buy supplies that keeps your army alive while travelling overland. You're probably not going to be able to afford any items, unless you're willing to lose people to starvation (events generally cost you supplies as you travel) or you're going to show restraint when levelling your characters (which can backfire if a toon you've invested a lot or resources in gets auto-killed in an event). Still, this is a thing you can get used to compared to the combat.

Word of warning - this is the first part of a planned trilogy, so the ending kind of feels exactly like that. There's a major event/battle, but a lot of loose ends remain to lead into chapter two. If you were ok with the ending of The Fellowship of the Ring (old school) or The Hunger Games (new school), you'll be fine. :)

Overall though I'm satisfied with the game. This is my third KS'd game to deliver (FTL and Shadowrun Returns were my first two) and so far all three are winners in my book. This actually kind of feels like Shadowrun Returns in terms of heft/depth/scope. I recommend TBS to anyone who's into the genre, but maybe wait for a sale...

#18058 Yagami   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1202 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:57 PM

You know what grinds my gears? When the pizza place fudges up my order. I ordered spicy sausage with pepperoni. They forgot the pepperoni and put on regular sausage. How Fuck 'ing hard is it to get a pizza order right?

even worse when they talk to you on the phone like "no we made it as you told us to" like you forgot to say pepporoni and spicy sausage. I've been ordering my burgers and pizza pretty much the same way for a long long time, I don't think it was me who messed up.

#18059 MysterD   39 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   25704 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:57 PM

Just throwing this out there. I didn't think much of saints row IV going in. I have played the series fairly recently starting from 1 and fell in love with the ridiculously stupid fun romp rolling with the third street saints. It must of been the collapse of THQ and the saints row 3.5 talk that got to me. 

So imagine my surprise when i get deserving slap in the face with a tentacle sword. I liked the story better then 3, i was already fond of the characters. The game was just damn fun. I just won't buy the stand alone, i want everything so i will wait for the inevitable wub of the year edition.

As funny as it was, it had it's deep moments. Kudo's to Volition, without spoilers i never thought "You got what i need" would make me well up but it did. 

See, that's the thing w/ SR4 - even though the game-world, characters models, animations, and a lot of assets feel re-used & re-mixed here from SR3, there's that fair amount of new areas & new content - and most of that seems to be in the main quest. Sure, there's new things for side-questing like Blazin', new varations of Mayhem, and some platforming stuff like the Towers, as well.

I had fun w/ my free weekend of 16 hours worth or so SR4 - it was a ton of fun. :D

When it gets dirt-cheap, I'm gonna have to get this and finish this game up. It's a blast, even despite my complaint of asset re-usage.

#18060 pasports31   New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog CAGiversary!   8814 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:00 AM

even worse when they talk to you on the phone like "no we made it as you told us to" like you forgot to say pepporoni and spicy sausage. I've been ordering my burgers and pizza pretty much the same way for a long long time, I don't think it was me who messed up.

exactly. that makes it so much worse. just be a company w/good service and admit screwing up. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: steam, steam deals, cards, steam cards, gaben, pc, steambox