The 10th Annual Cheapy Awards - Awards Ceremony

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Welcome to The 10th Annual Cheapy Awards! It's the only awards that recognize the best (and worst) in video game retail, nominated and voted on by the Cheap Ass Gamers, the most knowledgeable video game shoppers in the world. This year, the CAGs voted across 13 different retail related categories and 5 CAG community categories.

Congratulations to StrongArmz and BrettT08 both of whom have won a $500 Amazon Gift Certificate for participating in the Cheapy Awards voting.

Best Online Game Retailer: Amazon.com

Best Online Customer Service: Amazon.com

CAG Community Award: Tony, A.K.A. Amazon DVG Deals

Speedy1961 Deal Buster Award: Tony, A.K.A. Amazon DVG Deals

Amazon takes home four awards this year, marking the 7th year in a row they've won Best Online Retailer and Best Online Customer Service awards. Tony (Amazon DVG Deals), also picked up the CAG Community Award for the second straight year, and the Speedy1961 Deal Buster Award for the first time.
In response to their impressive victories, Tony from the Amazon Video Game Team provides a few statements:

"Amazon.com is honored and excited to have been chosen by the CAG community as the Best Online Retailer and Best Customer Service Provider of 2012! We are constantly striving to bring you all the widest selection of games, at the best prices, and provide you with the highest level of customer service. Thank you all for your vote of confidence in us, and your continued support of our business.

I’d also like to personally thank all of you for awarding me the Community and Speedy1961 awards. I can honestly say that building this community with you all has been the most rewarding experience of my professional career. You make doing this job amazingly fun and exciting. We’ve got an amazing group contributing to our thread. Members like Idiotekque, Spoderman, and MysterD provide constant and actionable feedback on everything from deal quality to site navigation. People like Asheskitty, Cheaplikeafox, Darrith and others keep the thread active and healthy by helping other members with problems, or acting like living FAQs for everyone in the thread, and doing things like organize giveaways or format links during big sales. There are a ton of specific members I could call out in this message, but Cheapy said I had to keep it to 1 page ;).  Thanks to all of you for your constant participation, and feedback, it has been a huge part of the growth of our business, and a ton of fun along the way."

Best Online Deal: Microsoft Store: Black Friday $9.99 Games

Brick & Mortar Deal/Sale of the Year: Microsoft Store: 9.99 Games on Black Friday

Best Used Game Retailer: GameFly

Best Brick & Mortar Game Retailer: Best Buy

Best Game Trade-In Program: BestBuy.com

Biggest CAG Shopping News: PlayStation Plus Instant Game Collection

Best Independent/Specialty Online Game Retailer: HumbleBundle.com

Best Game Value: Borderlands 2

Worst Online Game Retailer: GameStop.com

Worst B&M Game Retailer: GameStop

Best Game Trading Website: Cheap Ass Gamer

Most Memorable CAG Villain: CheapyD

"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain" - Batman

Best CAG Forum Thread (non-deal): CAG Lose It weight loss challenge.

Best CAG Blog: The Mana Knight

Congratulations to The Mana Knight, whose blog provides an eye-opening look at what it's like to be a modern-day gamer, among other things.

The Mana Knight provided the following statement:

"I want to thank everyone for reading/looking my blogs ever since they first started on CAG. I enjoy blogging about the random things that go on in my life and look forward to continue doing it for many more years to come. Just keep on reading since you all will see what I do next."

Thanks to all the CAGs who participated in this years voting and nominations for The 10th Annual Cheapy Awards. A special thumbs-up to the award winning retailers who provided us with great deals and service in 2012. See you next year!

Quick rundown of winners:

Best Online Game Retailer: Amazon.com
Best Online Customer Service: Amazon.com
Best Online Deal: MicrosoftStore.com: Black Friday $9.99 Games*
Best Game Trade-in Program: BestBuy.com*
Best Used Game Retailer: GameFly
Best Brick & Mortar Game Retailer: Best Buy
Brick & Mortar Deal/Sale of the Year: Microsoft Store: Black Friday $9.99 Games*
Best Independent/Specialty Online Game Retailer: HumbleBundle.com*
Biggest CAG Shopping News: PlayStation Plus Instant Game Collection*
Best Game Trading Website: Cheap Ass Gamer
Best Game Value: Borderlands 2*
Worst Online Game Retailer: GameStop.com
Worst B&M Game Retailer: GameStop
CAG Community Award: Amazon DVG Deals, A.K.A. Tony
Speedy1961 Deal Buster Award: Amazon DVG Deals, A.K.A. Tony*
Most Memorable CAG Villain: CheapyD*
Best CAG Forum Thread (non-deal): CAG Lose It weight loss challenge.*
Best CAG Blog: The Mana Knight

*New winner this year

Previous winners:
9th Annual Cheapy Awards
8th Annual Cheapy Awards
7th Annual Cheapy Awards
6th Annual Cheapy Awards
5th Annual Cheapy Awards
4th Annual Cheapy Awards
3rd Annual Cheapy Awards
2nd Annual Cheapy Awards
1st Annual Cheapy Awards

Serious apologies for screwing this up this year.  I'd love to say I just wanted to really earn my Villain award, but yeah...I suck.

Cheapy, all of my votes were screwed up since the forum upgrade. Everything that I voted for changed to something I didn't vote for. I wonder if this affected anyone else.

Completely forgot I voted on these things, nice surprise! Some not-so-surprising winners, but still fun to see people voting each year :)

EDIT: It doesn't look like my votes were recorded...?

Last edited by a moderator:
The fact that these 2012 awards are being posted in November 2013 is just... too perfect. I thought you had just given up and were going to focus on getting the 2013 ones posted punctually at this point. And that 2012 was its 10th anniversary and then it gets posted now is just the cherry on top. I'm not trying to be malicious here... I just honestly find it amusing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd completely forgotten that this year's awards were never actually... awarded o_O;

BTW, what an upset in the "Best Independent/Specialty Online Game Retailer" category! Looks like Play-Asia's streak has been broken.

Too bad The Mana Knight deleted all his blog posts a couple weeks ago, unfortunate timing for this award announcement ;)
Heh, yeah. That reminds me: he did something similar with his Twitter account awhile back. When he makes his mind up to stop doing something, he doesn't fuck around.

Too bad The Mana Knight deleted all his blog posts a couple weeks ago, unfortunate timing for this award announcement ;)
Why did he do that? I loved his blogs. Mana Knight is one of the few honest guys writing on the web

Why did he do that? I loved his blogs. Mana Knight is one of the few honest guys writing on the web
He posted a final blog saying farewell, but then deleted even that post within a few hours.. It still shows up in my RSS reader, copied below. Hoping he won't mind, I was always impressed by the way he wrote about surprisingly personal things, and in my opinion it's nice to see that he's found some positive changes in his life and his mindset. This might be a more appropriate "acceptance speech" for this award, for any long time readers who wondered where he went.

---

Author: The Mana Knight

Subj: Decided it is time to clear the blogs

Hello CAGs, long time no see. I know I use to be the biggest blogger on CAG, but I went MIA many times. TBH, I decided its best I leave my blog history in the past forgotten, so every blog just got removed. Very glad how CAG made it easy now to delete all blogs at once. Lets just say I completely changed my outlook on life, how I make new friends, what I do, etc. (those CAGs who still keep in touch w/ me can tell).

A few things to mention:
-I barely game anymore, just no time. I am still buying a PS4 at launch.

-I'm back to my original job I worked a few years, good and bad I can say.

-I still watch a good amount of anime, but it dropped.

-I travel WAY more than I use to.

-Mostly, I am a cosplayer now, considered to be one of the better ones in my area. My goals now include trying to put together cosplays of video game/anime characters I love, where I craft props, style wigs, do some sewing, etc. It's where the majority of my close friends come from now which is why I do it (and I enjoy it).

I had both good and bad times blogging here. And if someone got removed by me on PSN/XBL....I do not dislike any of you, just that my whole network of friends has been shifting from online forums to IRL/people I hang out w/ at cons. I kept some of my favorite friends at least.

Anyway, have a good one everyone.

He posted a final blog saying farewell, but then deleted even that post within a few hours.. It still shows up in my RSS reader, copied below. Hoping he won't mind, I was always impressed by the way he wrote about surprisingly personal things, and in my opinion it's nice to see that he's found some positive changes in his life and his mindset. This might be a more appropriate "acceptance speech" for this award, for any long time readers who wondered where he went.

---

Author: The Mana Knight

Subj: Decided it is time to clear the blogs

Hello CAGs, long time no see. I know I use to be the biggest blogger on CAG, but I went MIA many times. TBH, I decided its best I leave my blog history in the past forgotten, so every blog just got removed. Very glad how CAG made it easy now to delete all blogs at once. Lets just say I completely changed my outlook on life, how I make new friends, what I do, etc. (those CAGs who still keep in touch w/ me can tell).

A few things to mention:
-I barely game anymore, just no time. I am still buying a PS4 at launch.

-I'm back to my original job I worked a few years, good and bad I can say.

-I still watch a good amount of anime, but it dropped.

-I travel WAY more than I use to.

-Mostly, I am a cosplayer now, considered to be one of the better ones in my area. My goals now include trying to put together cosplays of video game/anime characters I love, where I craft props, style wigs, do some sewing, etc. It's where the majority of my close friends come from now which is why I do it (and I enjoy it).

I had both good and bad times blogging here. And if someone got removed by me on PSN/XBL....I do not dislike any of you, just that my whole network of friends has been shifting from online forums to IRL/people I hang out w/ at cons. I kept some of my favorite friends at least.

Anyway, have a good one everyone.

Thanks for the update. I missed it when it came out and am very glad I read it.

I wish nothing but the best for The Mana Knight. He is one of the real good ones. His honesty and willingness to let everyone get a glimpse into the life of a gamer who evolved over the years was truly unique. Hopefully we'll hear from him again but even if we don't I'm sure that he is out there living life and enjoying the cosplay scene.

bread's done
Back