* * * * - 26 votes

Bravely Default CE - SOLD OUT [Amzn, BB, GS] (3DS, 2/7/2014)

Bravely Default GameStop Collectors Edition Nintendo 3DS Amazon

#2461 EvilChamp   Super Nintendo CAGiversary!   2158 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

EvilChamp

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:23 PM

Hey all -

For those of us playing the game, I found this really useful. It is sorta hard early game whether to invest time in classes like the monk (which I really don't like so far), spell fencer or time mage, for example.

It goes through each class, talks about their skills and possible combos -

http://www.usgamer.n...nd-what-they-do

Follow me on Twitter

Currently playing: Prey (X1X)

#2462 Boss   [Removed by Admin] CAGiversary!   1901 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:50 PM

Here is my story hopefully it will help others see the errors of their ways.

I was one of the early preorders of this game from Amazon.

A few weeks before release people started saying their delivery date was 2/11.

Someone suggested "updating" your shipping with the same shipping speed (2day) and it will switch to 2/7. It did for most people.

I on the other hand did not want to risk getting placed at the back of the line or having issues with a order that was already going to be fulfilled. (Why tamper with it and risk errors or issues for a few days?).

Anyways it seems everyone who got 2/7 release day shipping got it shipped in a padded envelope and took the risk of it being crushed.

I finally picked mine up today from my PO Box, the package was delivered 2/10 but I dont get to go there during the week (one day earlier than Amazon's 2/11 estimate). They shipped it in a nice box with lots of padding. Needless to say the CE was in excellent condition. Amazon corrected their padded envelope ways after the initial 2/7 batch complained about issues, and luckly I was in the 2/11 batch and got a great copy.

Now if you want to draw conclusions, lets say they were setup for 2/7 shipping but because of a sudden influx of orders now shipping for 2/7 they had to cut corners to get all these out. So instead of shipping in a box and padding it they just dropped it in an envelope and shipped it to meet the release date. I'll leave you with that...

Was it worth it CAGers? You decide.

#2463 PopCall  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:09 PM

Someone suggested "updating" your shipping with the same shipping speed (2day) and it will switch to 2/7. It did for most people.

I on the other hand did not want to risk getting placed at the back of the line or having issues with a order that was already going to be fulfilled. (Why tamper with it and risk errors or issues for a few days?).

Anyways it seems everyone who got 2/7 release day shipping got it shipped in a padded envelope and took the risk of it being crushed.

I finally picked mine up today from my PO Box, the package was delivered 2/10 but I dont get to go there during the week (one day earlier than Amazon's 2/11 estimate). They shipped it in a nice box with lots of padding. Needless to say the CE was in excellent condition. Amazon corrected their padded envelope ways after the initial 2/7 batch complained about issues, and luckly I was in the 2/11 batch and got a great copy.

Now if you want to draw conclusions, lets say they were setup for 2/7 shipping but because of a sudden influx of orders now shipping for 2/7 they had to cut corners to get all these out. So instead of shipping in a box and padding it they just dropped it in an envelope and shipped it to meet the release date. I'll leave you with that...

That's HIGHLY speculative.  And whether its a envelope or box it doesn't change how quickly it arrives.

#2464 EvilChamp   Super Nintendo CAGiversary!   2158 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

EvilChamp

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:10 PM

This experience taught me a few things:

If I really want a LE or CE on release, I'm going to Gamestop. My most favorite game ever, Dark Souls, is coming out with a sequel. The CE is $125. Already PO at GS and put $25 down.

I may be paying more, but I've come to the conclusion that I save a lot more than the average gamer. I think most people on this forum do. So, when it comes to getting those games most precious to us, which might be limited in stock (I must admit, was a bit surprised how quickly this game's stock dwindled. I hear the standard version is sold out, too now) I will reserve at GS in store, for in store pickup and not at the last minute.

They've never let me down and my item has never been banged up. Worst case scenario, there is a sticker, but that's what Goo Gone is for.

For those that just plain don't like GS, to each their own and I can understand why some people don't like the store. I for one really like the place. If you're savvy enough, you can get good value for your trade ins. Once got $44 for Tomb Raider and $54 for Bioshock Infinite. The employees know me, so they don't bother me with reserves and I think the Power Rewards (is that what it is called?) is a great value on its own. I enjoy the magazine, trade in bonus and discounts. Plus, it is a place all about video games. It's nice to interact with people and talk gaming every once in a while.

I'll go to BB, Gamefly, Newegg, Amazon, etc for games I just want to play and get rid of - eg - a game like Tomb Raider when it goes on sale for $29.99 three weeks after release. The games I hold onto I hold onto because I really enjoyed them and just plain want them, or I see them as being rare/valuable in the future.

Everything else is disposed of as quickly as possible before the value goes down so I can feed my addiction of gaming.

Follow me on Twitter

#2465 thelonepig   Greasy Pork Pirates! CAGiversary!   6468 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:26 PM

Mine shipped 2/9 and arrived 2/11. It was in a mailer.

#2466 skiizim   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9831 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:43 PM

This question goes out to anybody that has worked at an Amazon ship center, are there any repercussions if you get too many damaged packages or is production more important?

@Boss, there are too many scenarios to account for. He may have ran out of envelopes at his station, or he may just have had a box sitting there from a previous order that he couldn't fit in that box, or he takes great pride in his work. Just take it for what it is and be grateful!

#2467 EvilChamp   Super Nintendo CAGiversary!   2158 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

EvilChamp

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:03 PM

You know, speaking of Amazon, I read this piece about the price of "free shipping." 

When you read the article, you have to wonder if the person running around the warehouse to get your product actually gives a smurf about your precious CE. 

Here is the article for those interested. Short, but good read. 

A visit to the Warehouse of Soul Crushing SadnessMother Jones

Follow me on Twitter

#2468 PopCall  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:38 AM

You know, speaking of Amazon, I read this piece about the price of "free shipping." 

When you read the article, you have to wonder if the person running around the warehouse to get your product actually gives a smurf about your precious CE. 

Here is the article for those interested. Short, but good read. 

A visit to the Warehouse of Soul Crushing SadnessMother Jones

That article made me feel sick to my stomach.  I've worked minimum wage jobs, the worst, other than the money, is the total implementation of removing human respect and decency from the hierarchy.  It's pathetic what people will do to one another, then go home and kiss their kids.

#2469 Doomstink   AUTOBOT Retailer Representative   2955 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:07 AM

I guess its safe to assume that there won't be any Bravely Default Collector Edition restocks? (Not referring to sellers from eBay or overpriced Amazon sellers)

I see a few local GameStop which have it in stock, however, they won't sell it to me because I don't have it preordered...so much for that 48 hours hold I heard about.

Nintendo doesn't really reprint their CEs, and Square isn't really known to do so either (look at the Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance Mark of Mastery Edition). It's a pretty safe bet that there will not be a restock.

Studio Head at Mighty Rabbit Studios and Owner of Limited Run Games

#2470 Flash Strife   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   303 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Flash Strife

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:38 AM

Mine came smashed from amazon. Couldn't let them know earlier cause the recycling truck took out my cable on monday and the AWESOME folks at Comcast decided to wait till the end of the week to fix it. How did you people that got credits or refunds from amazon do it? By phone or chat?

#2471 PopCall  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:39 AM

Mine came smashed from amazon. Couldn't let them know earlier cause the recycling truck took out my cable on monday and the AWESOME folks at Comcast decided to wait till the end of the week to fix it. How did you people that got credits or refunds from amazon do it? By phone or chat?

I used the email contact on their site, chat would work too though.  

#2472 UltimateIdiot911  

UltimateIdiot911

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:36 AM

I doubt it was from the influx. Mine was schedule for 2/11 but they shipped it out on 2/6. So for whatever reason, they bump it up. And it's not the first time Amazon ship their CE/LE in bubble mailers. They've been cutting corners for the last 2 years (also varies a bit from warehouse to warehouse).

Amazon simply don't give a shit. If they did, they would have done something about this ongoing issue a long time ago. Hopefully, Amazon sees more red than green from complaints enough to warrant a change. But I'm doubtful and already move some of my future orders elsewhere.

#2473 mask-air-raid   Mr. Encyclopedia of Soda Banned   5809 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

mask-air-raid

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

Dude, when are the ones from the Temporarily Unavailable time shipping?

Swag Bucks referral: http://swagbucks.com/refer/newmask
GiftHulk invite code:RD172480
ShopKick: http://get.shopkick.com/barium13444
Gets you GC and PayPal cash. Over 0 CAGs referred!
Send me a PM if you use my links so I know who you are.

#2474 mitemouse   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   627 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:51 PM

Dude, when are the ones from the Temporarily Unavailable time shipping?

When they finish the reprint or get some of the smashed returns back.. so probably never.

Also I am about to have one of my bravely defaults graded at VGA. that case will keep me from opening it.. lol

#2475 lovepig78   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   796 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:18 PM

When they finish the reprint or get some of the smashed returns back.. so probably never.

Also I am about to have one of my bravely defaults graded at VGA. that case will keep me from opening it.. lol

How much does it cost to get something Graded?

#2476 PopCall  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:32 PM

Please send it in a bubble mailer so we can all remember.  PLEASE.  

Oh, here's some info - http://www.vggrader....gedpricing.aspx

#2477 SonicGamer   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   995 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:43 PM

that sage is one pervert lol also are people deleting friends or something? i added like 9 of you guys now i only have one WTF smh i was suppose to go to add friends than internet and it would add yall smh im an idiot

Gaming since before it was cool.. :D/

#2478 mitemouse   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   627 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:07 AM

Probably around 70 for this game, including shipping.. Thats how much i paid for the pikachu 3ds and they are around the same size.

#2479 EvilChamp   Super Nintendo CAGiversary!   2158 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

EvilChamp

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:23 AM

Probably around 70 for this game, including shipping.. Thats how much i paid for the pikachu 3ds and they are around the same size.

OMG please don't tell me you're thinking about getting this game graded. 

You're throwing away money, but, to each their own.

Follow me on Twitter

#2480 gothamhunter   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   96 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

gothamhunter

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:59 PM

So, I have two damaged copies, if anyone is interested.

The more damaged one:

0v79.jpg

Lesser damaged one:

1mg8.jpg

#2481 bob330i   just lookin' CAGiversary!   3405 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:51 PM

Early bad story ended up with a good ending.  Preordered in Jan, put $5 down instore at BB.  Was in Orlando on vacation until from 2/5 to 2/12.  Went in on 2/13 and they told me to come back on Sunday where there *may* be a restock.  Since I was doing some trades anyways and suspicious about the answer I got, I went up to the pick up line and talked with another rep there about what the previous employee told me.  She said it looks like BB won't be restocking (not surprised).  Manager came by and confirmed and would only offer me an additional $5 off the standard version.  He further clarified that it's only a 5 day hold on instore, non-paid in full preorders, 7 days for fully paid preorders and that he couldn't do anything else about it.  Left annoyed.

Went to another BB at lunchtime today where I saw on 2/13 an "on hold" copy for a preorder.  Asked if they could search for one and one of the other reps said that someone just cancelled and it was in the restock bin.  Bought it on the spot.  Small corner ding but otherwise it's in excellent shape.  Been trying to track one down at GS (using interstore transfers) but hadn't found any that would be willing to transfer.  So I'm done, just wanted one and got it.  Maybe I should put a $1 on the lottery this week.... O:)

#2482 EvilChamp   Super Nintendo CAGiversary!   2158 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

EvilChamp

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:54 PM

They should have just called this a Limited Edition. 

Follow me on Twitter

#2483 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3744 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:12 AM

Now you know anything labeled 'limited edition' is way overproduced. Limited to 1,000,000 seems to be the norm for most game CEs.

#2484 Doomstink   AUTOBOT Retailer Representative   2955 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:51 AM

This is coming from someone in the game industry: there is no defined, universally agreed upon, lexicon for collector's edition naming conventions. "Collector's Edition" doesn't mean "Not Limited" - "Limited Edition" also more commonly means "Buy this, it's limited (but it's really not)!" - there's not a collusion of developers/publishers that have agreed on terminology. If you see a special edition, the print run is a gamble regardless of what it is called (even if a special edition was called "Super Common High-Print Edition" it could still be limited).

Chances are, the less extravagant the contents, the lower the print run will be. Statues and other elaborate pack ins require huge quantities to produce affordably. The BD CE only has an art book, CD, and playing cards - it's very easy to keep the print run low on that.

#2485 kaiyouske   Madman CAGiversary!   583 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:01 PM

One should buy a game because they want to play it, not because for 'collecting' purposes.  After all, that's what a game is for, right? 

I didn't care for the game until I played the demo, which after I knew I wanted to get it.  So what did I do?  I pre-ordered the game from Best Buy right away.  At this point the Amazon pre-orders had already sold out.  Best Buy was taking pre-orders for the CE long after Amazon had sold out, so if you had missed out on this, there's really no other way to put it other than 'it's your own damn fault'.  

-kaiyouske

#2486 EvilChamp   Super Nintendo CAGiversary!   2158 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

EvilChamp

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:19 PM

One should buy a game because they want to play it, not because for 'collecting' purposes.  After all, that's what a game is for, right? 

I didn't care for the game until I played the demo, which after I knew I wanted to get it.  So what did I do?  I pre-ordered the game from Best Buy right away.  At this point the Amazon pre-orders had already sold out.  Best Buy was taking pre-orders for the CE long after Amazon had sold out, so if you had missed out on this, there's really no other way to put it other than 'if your own damn fault'.  

There is no right or wrong way to buy a game.

Some games I buy, beat and get rid of before they deflate in value. Others, I collect; I've been collecting retro games for almost seven years now. It is a modest collection, but it is also cool to see some purchases go up in value. It's a hobby to some. Everything I collect I play.

Great example is grabbing a mint Chrono Trigger, CIB, with official Nintendo Power Strategy Guide for an even $100 several years ago. The guide fetches an easy $50+ today and the game sells around the $180 mark.

To each their own, but when gamers see the word "collector's edition" most of the time, they assume it will not be out of stock. While most LEs do not go out of stock, some do. And an RPG like this one had all the red flags that it would - had it been labeled a LE, IMO.

Limited prints are even great examples of games that will soon go rare, but again, not always. Look at Pandora's Tower as an example.

Some people collect games they will never play - some even collect games that are sealed and keep them that way. Every game I own, I play or plan on getting to. My collection includes NES, SNES, a lot of PS1 black labels, Gamecube, Dreamcast, PS2 and even some PS3 games (and by PS3 I mean I refuse to sell them).

I don't think I'll pay for my kid's college education (whenever I have a kid) with my collection. It is a hobby, and part of the fun part is seeing  games go up in value. As games move more and more toward digital download (we're several years away from games almost becoming entirely DD) people like me, and others on this forum, will want the physical copies of games they once loved.

I'm not in it for the money - I don't think I can part with anything I deem in my collection - I do it as a hobby. And that's how I buy games.

"One should buy a game because they want to play it, not because for 'collecting' purposes."

That's your opinion, one I don't agree with, but you don't have to agree with mine, either.

Follow me on Twitter

#2487 Doomstink   AUTOBOT Retailer Representative   2955 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:46 PM

To each their own, but when gamers see the word "collector's edition" most of the time, they assume it will not be out of stock. While most LEs do not go out of stock, some do. And an RPG like this one had all the red flags that it would - had it been labeled a LE, IMO.

I don't know, out of all the possible "editions", "Limited Edition" is the most meaningless to me since it seems to just be slapped on to labels these days to turn a quicker profit. Look at pretty much any EA game from the last few years, also Tales of Xillia which had a "Limited" Edition and a much more limited Collector's Edition. Both are still in stock at several stores. Unfortunately, the terms chosen are largely meaningless. If a special edition seems like it will be rare, pre-order it, you have nothing to lose.

#2488 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3744 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:39 PM

I don't know, out of all the possible "editions", "Limited Edition" is the most meaningless to me since it seems to just be slapped on to labels these days to turn a quicker profit. Look at pretty much any EA game from the last few years, also Tales of Xillia which had a "Limited" Edition and a much more limited Collector's Edition. Both are still in stock at several stores. Unfortunately, the terms chosen are largely meaningless. If a special edition seems like it will be rare, pre-order it, you have nothing to lose.

I concur. Like I said above, limited is mis-used nowadays though technically the developers aren't lying, it's a 'grey area'. There is no defined print run for something labeled 'limited edition, so if a company produces 500,000 copies, technically that's the limit.

I remember Halo 3 LE, I preorder it the first day it was available, $150 six months in advance. I get it at launch on midnight and the serial number was around 110,000. I should have one of the first editions but I didn't. Years later these are still common, and since then I have never bought any CE for full price at launch. Burned once, never again.

#2489 deathfromace   Sega Collector CAGiversary!   733 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

deathfromace

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:47 PM

It seems as of late there are a lot more out there. I personally like this because it makes it so resellers don't take them all and just to try and sell them for more.

People tried that with Starcraft and those are still easy to find.

Trade List - https://www.cheapass...cess-and-blood/

All the Sega games I own. Box 16,17,18 (updated 3/20/2015) - https://www.cheapass...-things-i-need/

#2490 Doomstink   AUTOBOT Retailer Representative   2955 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:31 AM

It seems as of late there are a lot more out there. I personally like this because it makes it so resellers don't take them all and just to try and sell them for more.

People tried that with Starcraft and those are still easy to find.

I've noticed that most resellers will just indiscriminately preorder a few of every collector's edition that goes on sale on Amazon. If it goes out of stock before release, they sell their preorders, if not they cancel. Literally no risk. I think Bravely Default flew under their radar, though, as it seems like most of the CEs went straight to gamers.

If I even have a passing interest in a game I'll preorder the CE/LE from Amazon since they don't require a down payment. That way, I never have to worry about resellers or not getting a CE I may want. If I decide later on that I don't want a game, I just cancel the preorder. Sometimes I'll even preorder two copies of a CE if I think it will be rare, so I can sell one and keep the other (and most of the time fully pay off my personal copy).