Craigslist Selling Advice

GamerDude316

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
I have never sold on Craiglist before but decided to list my Day One Xbox One on there. I put a price of $650 expecting someone to lowball at $600, but I have a buyer interested in it at the $650 price.

What I'm wondering is how best to go about this? I plan to meet in a public place but wondering if I should specify no cash, check only, etc to make sure I don't get burned. With a big ticket item like this I'm a little worried and want to make sure I'm covered.

I have never sold on Craiglist before but decided to list my Day One Xbox One on there. I put a price of $650 expecting someone to lowball at $600, but I have a buyer interested in it at the $650 price.

What I'm wondering is how best to go about this? I plan to meet in a public place but wondering if I should specify no cash, check only, etc to make sure I don't get burned. With a big ticket item like this I'm a little worried and want to make sure I'm covered.
You want the opposite, cash only, no checks or money orders etc. Meet it a very public place. Go straight to your car, then drive to the bank deposit funds.

You want the opposite, cash only, no checks or money orders etc. Meet it a very public place. Go straight to your car, then drive to the bank deposit funds.
Yeah, cash is probably best. My other concern is that my X1 is coming from Amazon and won't be here till Friday night after the bank has closed so I have to deal with the actual cash until
Saturday morning. I live in a safe neighborhood just hope the guy doesn't try to follow me or something

Yeah, cash is probably best. My other concern is that my X1 is coming from Amazon and won't be here till Friday night after the bank has closed so I have to deal with the actual cash until
Saturday morning. I live in a safe neighborhood just hope the guy doesn't try to follow me or something
You do know you can deposit cash in an ATM machine at your bank, right.

cash only and I typically meet at a store parking lot or a fast food parking lot that is very busy.  makes it simple, drive our separate ways and i always drive in a different direction from my house to make sure that no one is following me somewhere.

big items i meet at my bank (sold a few ipads/iphones etc) and just go right in and deposit it.  also have two different banks (2 separate credit unions, one for paying bills/purchases online and the other has my savings/money market) so im not nervous about any of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
well the buyer flaked, so I just went ahead and cancelled the preorder.  Not gonna bother tying up that much cash right now.  Ah well.

He was being sarcastic. CL is where you might get lucky every now and again finding someone who wants the item AND has money AND shows up. Selling on CL in a state with like 11% unemployment is the worst. There's no shortage of window shopping and everyone and their mother wants to trade you shit you'd never use in a million years.

I know people can sell there successfully but in my experience it just seems like too much hassle and too many flakes.

I've also heard of people showing up short of the agreed upon price hoping the seller will give in for less.

I think that's one of the worst situations to be in, besides of course being held up by the buyer.

Meet at a police station. It's safe, secure, and if they flake on you you'll know it was probably some scumbag. It's technically a public place. Sold my Star Wars 360 there, and it was actually the buyers idea. I've adopted it (when selling high priced merch) ever since.

if someone asked me to meet at a police station, I'd say screw that. the farther I am from police, the better

It goes without saying that if you can't afford to have the cash tied up in an item you shouldn't be selling it. Good call to cancel.

cash only as others have said. even though I don't even bother with Craigslist anymore. as a friend once put it, CL feels like a drug deal without the drugs.

bread's done
Back