Newegg Seagate Hybrid Drives ST1000LM014 1TB $94.99 PS4 HDD SSD HYBRID

wynams

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Hybrid HDD link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178340

Promo Code: EMCYTZT4876, ends 11/21 (takes $25.00 off) Final cost is $94.99 (free saver shipping, Shoprunner eligible!)

Link to tested.com's PS4 HDD shoot out: http://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/459128-tested-playstation-4-hard-drive-vs-ssd-vs-hybrid-drive/

I am unsure what all consoles this drive can go in XBone? etc but know for a fact it works (incredibly well) in the PS4.

3 YEAR WARRANTY!

Capacity 1TB
Form Factor 2.5"
Interface Options SATA 6Gb/s
Spindle Speed (RPM) 5400
Cache (MB) 8, 64
Transfer Rate, Max Ext (MB/s) 600
Sustained Data Rate OD 100MB/s
Average Latency (ms) 5.6
Seek, Typical Operating (W) 2.7
Idle, Typical Operating (W) 1.1
Temperature
Operating 0° to 60°C
Non-operating -40° to 70°C
Shock
Operating: Gs (ms) 350 (2ms)
Non-operating: Gs (ms) 1000 (1ms)
Acoustics (bels - sound power)
Idle 2.2
Operating 2.4
Physical
Height (in/mm) 0.38/9.5, 0.374/9.5
Width (in/mm) 2.750/69.85
Length (in/mm) 3.96/100.58, 3.951/100.35
Weight (lb/g) 0.220/99, 0.254/115

ripped from SD

Last edited by a moderator:
Would be all over this if it wasn't a Seagate product--I've only had bad experiences with their drives, and their customer service is just the worst.

As one of the reviewers mentioned, if you take a chance on this particular drive, use the saving to get the extended warranty.

D'oh.  Yeah, just googled it.  For some reason though it was 7200.  :(

Good deal then.

Would be all over this if it wasn't a Seagate product--I've only had bad experiences with their drives, and their customer service is just the worst.

As one of the reviewers mentioned, if you take a chance on this particular drive, use the saving to get the extended warranty.
Agree that Seagate doesn't instill confidence, but this HDD comes with a 3 year warranty. Is there really a need to extend beyond that?

It's an HHD/SSD hybrid drive so it will be much faster than a normal 5400rpm HDD.
I'm tempted to get this bit I'm going to wait and see how this 500gb does

Hybrid HDD link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178340

Promo Code: EMCYTZT4876, ends 11/21 (takes $25.00 off) Final cost is $94.99 (free saver shipping, Shoprunner eligible!)

Link to tested.com's PS4 HDD shoot out: http://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/459128-tested-playstation-4-hard-drive-vs-ssd-vs-hybrid-drive/

I am unsure what all consoles this drive can go in XBone? etc but know for a fact it works (incredibly well) in the PS4.

3 YEAR WARRANTY!

Capacity 1TB
Form Factor 2.5"
Interface Options SATA 6Gb/s
Spindle Speed (RPM) 5400
Cache (MB) 8, 64
Transfer Rate, Max Ext (MB/s) 600
Sustained Data Rate OD 100MB/s
Average Latency (ms) 5.6
Seek, Typical Operating (W) 2.7
Idle, Typical Operating (W) 1.1
Temperature
Operating 0° to 60°C
Non-operating -40° to 70°C
Shock
Operating: Gs (ms) 350 (2ms)
Non-operating: Gs (ms) 1000 (1ms)
Acoustics (bels - sound power)
Idle 2.2
Operating 2.4
Physical
Height (in/mm) 0.38/9.5, 0.374/9.5
Width (in/mm) 2.750/69.85
Length (in/mm) 3.96/100.58, 3.951/100.35
Weight (lb/g) 0.220/99, 0.254/115

ripped from SD

Well if my PS3 is 5400RPM i can still install this drive right?? Does it matter if its hybrid when installing in a PS3?

Well if my PS3 is 5400RPM i can still install this drive right?? Does it matter if its hybrid when installing in a PS3?
I think I misunderstood ... edited ... unsure if this hybrid works in the PS3.

I am going with the hybrid in my PS4 and moving the stock 500GB/5400rpm to my PS3 (as two of my friends have done no probs)

I'm in complete agreement.
Just go over to Amazon, and you'll see all the 1 star reviews for this drive. It has a very high failure rate.

a straight ssd is faster, but this is cheap by the gig. This drive caches commonly used files in the ssd section and less used files sit in the regular HD section.

Just go over to Amazon, and you'll see all the 1 star reviews for this drive. It has a very high failure rate.

I see some 1 star posts, but this isn't as bad as everyone makes it out.

# of 5 star reviews: 249

# of 1 star reviews: 27

In fact, 88% of the reviews on Amazon are 3+ stars.

My friends and I have had many 1TB Seagate Baracuda drives that have all been great - SATA III, 7200 rpm, 64mb cache. None out of 9 (since 2007 I think?) have had any issues. The majority of people that have had issues with Seagate HDD's were drives over 2GB, with 3 platters.

The hybrid portion of those disks is likely NOT what is making the games load faster. It's more likely the disk density. 8GB NAND is not enough to do anything except cache the most-used processes. That's what makes the boot process almost identical with the SSD and the SSHD. What is more likely the reason for the faster loading is disk density of the 1TB drive vs the stock 500GB. 

Anyway, I threw in my 750GB Seagate SSHD, but I'm under no illusions the 8GB flash is making games load faster. 

Also, based on what I assume of the PS4's share process, I do NOT recommend using SSDs in the PS4. The system is constantly writing to the disk (the last 15 minutes of game time etc), and so you'll burn up the SSD pretty quickly.

Do you mean 2 TB instead of 2 GB?

My friends and I have had many 1TB Seagate Baracuda drives that have all been great - SATA III, 7200 rpm, 64mb cache. None out of 9 (since 2007 I think?) have had any issues. The majority of people that have had issues with Seagate HDD's were drives over 2GB, with 3 platters.
388 votes from Amazon:

5 star: 249

4 star: 64

3 star: 30

2 star: 18

1 star: 27

good deal but 5400 n a hybrid drive not cool. im in at 70.00 bucks 

downgrade from the Momentus 750 XT good times. 

I'm not entirely sure.  Some sites reported they shipped some already, but I haven't found any for sale yet.  I'm thinking it has to be soon though.

I'm not entirely sure. Some sites reported they shipped some already, but I haven't found any for sale yet. I'm thinking it has to be soon though.
Given spotty compatibility on the PS4, no guarantees it will work anyway. Seagate Momentus XT 500GB doesn't work, and neither does Samsung (Seagate) Momentus 1TB 5400rpm work. I'd wait for someone else to try it before you jump in.

Xbox One uses a proprietary, sealed drive. You can't replace it.
Generally Seagate's really well regarded.

It's an HHD/SSD hybrid drive so it will be much faster than a normal 5400rpm HDD.
I'm tempted to get this bit I'm going to wait and see how this 500gb does
I'm not so sure the 'hybrid' part is going to help all that much, though it might, depending on the game. I'd much rather have a 7200RPM drive than a 5400RPM drive with flash cache. The first hybrids were 7200RPM anyway and had larger RAM caches too, so it was a moot point-at worst you were getting the best or slightly better than the best available mechanical drive, but now...

No, the system has no idea what it is.

It may or may not, but you can't nessisarily tell that from Amazon reviews.

At any rate, I've got a first gen Momentus XT and it works just fine years later.

Also, based on what I assume of the PS4's share process, I do NOT recommend using SSDs in the PS4. The system is constantly writing to the disk (the last 15 minutes of game time etc), and so you'll burn up the SSD pretty quickly.
I'm quite worried about this. There's really no way to disable that constant writing? I put an SSD in my PS3, and was going to in my PS4, but with that constant, pointless writing, it may not make sense :(

I'm using the Momentus 750 XT. Apparently the 500GB Momentus XT doesn't work.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-4-Support/Installing-Hard-Drive-Issue/m-p/42205373/highlight/false#M13764

I can confirm the Momentus 5400rpm 1TB HD (not the SSHD) does not work in the PS4. Tested two of them in three different PS4s at 1.5 and 1.51.
Why on Earth wouldn't it work? Unless either the drive or the system aren't really Sata compatible...

You MIGHT need to update the drive's firmware from a Windows PC first, but...

Interesting point out SSDs and the PS4 constantly writing to disk. That does sound like a bad idea, then. I'd stick to a traditional HDD for PS4, at least until official word from Sony on whether SSD is OK for PS4. Do we know if a 7200 RPM drive has any effect on speed of the PS4?

Agreed, I had a momemuntus drive that crashed in a week. I'd rather wait for a 2TB drive than a hybrid or ssd. I need space not speed. I'm going to wait until I run out of room. I'm going to try to go 1 game at a time this gen so I'm not rushing to get a new drive for it.

bread's done
Back